Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

i've seen a few instances where people have used polished copper to create a heat shield between a stove and a wooden surround, we are fine to the left/right - anyone done anything like that before?

It's very hard to fit a heat shield that would be if any benefit to fit one it needs to have an air gap behind it as if its fitted directly to the fireplace you will get heat transfer off the steel and it will be nearly as hot as the stove

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Here is my existing surround

http://i43.tinypic.com/x22fsi.jpg

We raised the stove four inches to avoid having to put a new piece of granite over the stove. Kinda regret doing that now as that extra four inches of clearance might have been sufficient to leave the wooden surround in place. I think our options are to replace the surround altogether or to take out the wooden panel under the mantel and put in some new granite there... Expense I had hoped I'd avoid. Even with small fires the last couple of nights it's pretty obvious the surround won't work as is..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

Here is my existing surround

http://i43.tinypic.com/x22fsi.jpg

We raised the stove four inches to avoid having to put a new piece of granite over the stove. Kinda regret doing that now as that extra four inches of clearance might have been sufficient to leave the wooden surround in place. I think our options are to replace the surround altogether or to take out the wooden panel under the mantel and put in some new granite there... Expense I had hoped I'd avoid. Even with small fires the last couple of nights it's pretty obvious the surround won't work as is..

Maybe remove the section of timber with the black section on either side.
    Is there a reason for insert being off center in the fireplace? :confused:

Yes, the fireopening wasnt centered with the flu... non standard fire opening built around an open gas fire :(

thinking of a complete refit with new marble fireplace, refit the stove lowering it to the hearth and centering it with a new granite insert...

going to cost 3 times what i paid for the stove though (secondhand) so it may need to wait a while
    Invincible wrote: »
    Maybe remove the section of timber with the black section on either side.
    Is there a reason for insert being off center in the fireplace? :confused:

Ok guys, so my wife doesnt like marble surrounds.. (you learn something new everyday about the person you marry)

anyway.. the timber has to go.. but what other options do i have? take away the surround altogether - maybe frame the granite insert in some way and add a wooden beam/mantel much further up the wall?

something along these lines only the required 600 mm up?

http://www.google.ie/imgres?um=1&sa=N&biw=931&bih=568&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbnid=9TSmIelqqXUSCM:&imgrefurl=http://www.mantelsdirect.com/fireplace_mantel_shelves.html&docid=kf_dNU78krWRgM&imgurl=http://www.mantelsdirect.com/images/timber/shelves/TimberShelfTeton.jpg&w=375&h=345&ei=qZiTUd2JAafE7Aa_34GoCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=2&vpy=108&dur=235&hovh=215&hovw=234&tx=129&ty=112&page=2&tbnh=149&tbnw=166&start=16&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0,i:148

Yes, the fireopening wasnt centered with the flu... non standard fire opening built around an open gas fire :(

thinking of a complete refit with new marble fireplace, refit the stove lowering it to the hearth and centering it with a new granite insert...

going to cost 3 times what i paid for the stove though (secondhand) so it may need to wait a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lollymob

Hi can anyone tell me where stovax brand is from?
    Thanks,
    Lollymob

looks like UK

http://www.stovax.com/blog/index.php/about/
    lollymob wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me where stovax brand is from?
    Thanks,
    Lollymob

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lollymob

Thanks a million, that's what I thought.
    Lollymob

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

I have a Stanley Oisin Stove and shortly after I lit it this evening the glass in the door cracked straight across the middle. Should I put out the fire or just let it continue to burn for the rest of the night (my house is still cold despite it being May).

Does anybody know how much it could cost to replace the glass?

Not sure re your stove but for the Stanley cara the glass is 65 euro phone Stanley in the morning it may be covered by warranty?
    Tisserand wrote: »
    I have a Stanley Oisin Stove and shortly after I lit it this evening the glass in the door cracked straight across the middle. Should I put out the fire or just let it continue to burn for the rest of the night (my house is still cold despite it being May).

Does anybody know how much it could cost to replace the glass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Not sure re your stove but for the Stanley cara the glass is 65 euro phone Stanley in the morning it may be covered by warranty?

Thanks for that. Hadn't even thought about the warranty but will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 social mark

Just by coincidence I came on to ask about replacement glass for a Stanley Oisin. I was wondering if people could recommend somewhere close to Dublin City centre. Cliffords say they would have it by the end of next week but I was hoping to get it sooner. Is it a simple enough job to replace the glass or are there seals that have to be replaced too? The stove is about four years old so I presume any waranty would have run out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Online room heating calculator recommends a 4kw stove for my room size. If I decided to go for a 6.5 kw version could I expect it to produce more heat that would spread to adjoining rooms or would it be hard to notice the difference from the 4kw version ?

Head is still melted on stove choice. Im still leaning towards a Woodwarm Firefiew insert but im still open to suggestions. So If you had a budget of say 1300 for a good quality, efficient insert stove what would be your top 3 choices?

Hi folks my wife wants to burn eco burning material in our Stanley cara. Are there eco wood logs or pellets that you can buy and where are they available to buy? So far we burn turf coal briquettes and wood logs but she seen something on about the house a while ago where they did a test on air quality in a house with a stove and switching to the eco fuel improved air quality

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Aaron_Ragmaan

Hi Guys,

Can you install a multi fuel stove directly to rads with no cylinder? and have a pump circulating the water from the tank above?

Hi Guys,

Can you install a multi fuel stove directly to rads with no cylinder? and have a pump circulating the water from the tank above?

Short answer is no.Get plumber in that is familiar with solid fuel installations and get their advice on what's the best and safest way to go about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Online room heating calculator recommends a 4kw stove for my room size. If I decided to go for a 6.5 kw version could I expect it to produce more heat that would spread to adjoining rooms or would it be hard to notice the difference from the 4kw version ?

Head is still melted on stove choice. Im still leaning towards a Woodwarm Firefiew insert but im still open to suggestions. So If you had a budget of say 1300 for a good quality, efficient insert stove what would be your top 3 choices?

Anyone?

Our cara refitted with marble surround and cast insert. Can't light for a few days but very happy with the look...

http://i40.tinypic.com/2zg965w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

How come its so off centre?

Dtp79 wrote: »
    How come its so off centre?
    The fireplace? The flu is way off centre in the chimney breast. The previous owners extended the chimney breast about a foot to the right. Otherwise we would have had one of those fireplaces with the opening on one side of the surround..

something like this..

http://www.alanlawlorfireplaces.com/main-fireplaces/off-centre-fireplace.jpg

much happier with what we have now.. have to give a shoutout to McKenna fireplaces in monaghan, did a really great job for a really good price!

http://www.mckennafireplaces.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Hi lads,
    I've been told I need to fit a flexible flue as my flue has two cracks,
    I now it's prob cheaper to supply my own and get the builders to fit it..
    Any ideas on prices I could pick one up.. Just dublin area
    I need flex pipe 316. 9 meters. I for solid fuel
    Thanks

i know when i asked for a quote a builders suppliers down the country (simons in boyle) they were 105 (or maybe it was 165) for a flexible flu kit for a 9 metre chimney.. i have seen prices of up on 600 euro quoted though in various places!

Lenny wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    I've been told I need to fit a flexible flue as my flue has two cracks,
    I now it's prob cheaper to supply my own and get the builders to fit it..
    Any ideas on prices I could pick one up.. Just dublin area
    I need flex pipe 316. 9 meters. I for solid fuel
    Thanks

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Friend got a price from tj o mason's of a bit under 500e. It's a "kit" its not cheap, fireplace shop for supplying and fitting it is 675 so only a saving of 100, would have the hassle of picking it up and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dk1979

Hi,

Just new to this forum - some great information. Wondering if anyone can advise on the following:

We are looking at getting an Insert Stove to heat 10 Radiators. We have narrowed our search down to the Stanley Cara+ or the Charnwood SLX45. Both are inserts with boilers, prefer the look of the Stanley but fear it may not be as good as the Charnwood.

1. Has anyone any experience of the Cara+ - love to hear it.
    Where is it manufactured? I thought Ireland, but read somewhere here that Stanley stoves are made in China?
    2. Has anyone experience of the Charnwood - love to hear this too, Good or Bad.

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

Any one know we're i can get this in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Hi folks, we have a large lounge which is hard to heat. It is 26 ft x 12ft. We are strongly thinking about a stove which would then also throw heat through to the kitchen and upstairs etc due to our layout.

My questions relate mainly to chimney cleaning/maintenance. Assume we get a standard non boiler stove fitted to our standard fireplace.

1.Would the chimney cleaning be done from the bottom up through the stove?

2.Is the cleaning involved any different to a standard chimney clean?

3.Can anyone recommend a company in the Limerick area to do the job including coming out to check your fireplace etc before placing an order?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

dk1979 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just new to this forum - some great information. Wondering if anyone can advise on the following:

We are looking at getting an Insert Stove to heat 10 Radiators. We have narrowed our search down to the Stanley Cara+ or the Charnwood SLX45. Both are inserts with boilers, prefer the look of the Stanley but fear it may not be as good as the Charnwood.

1. Has anyone any experience of the Cara+ - love to hear it.
    Where is it manufactured? I thought Ireland, but read somewhere here that Stanley stoves are made in China?
    2. Has anyone experience of the Charnwood - love to hear this too, Good or Bad.

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We have a Yola insert, Irish made which heats 5 single and 2 double rads, all quite long rads. We're quite happy with it.

Hi folks,

Quick query. We lit our stanley cara (non boiler insert) wednesday night. Just a small fire to start with and again last night. We got our new fireplace surround fitted Monday. A new marble surround with a cast iron insert. When finished the installer cleaned the cast iron with wd40 as he said if you used a wet cloth it would rust the cast over time.. that basically you never clean cast iron with a wet cloth. It did work very well in fairness. Anyway the two nights we've lit so far there's a smell/haze of what appears to be the wd40 'burning' off the insert. I cleaned it down with a dry cloth last night as there was still some residue. Would there also be a smell of the cast iron insert as the paint 'cures' on it? I'm hoping this will pass over the next couple of nights as we continue to light. We have a co2 alarm in the room and that hasnt gone off so its not co2 (i know it doesnt smell) and i'm confident enough the stove is installed correctly - we have a good draft etc. Its not the stove because it was a secondhand stove so there shouldnt be a smell off it the same way there would be off say a new stove.

Anyway apart from the smell everything is going great! we havent burned coal in it yet as wanted everything to set well before putting any major heat in it but even with turf and briquettes there is still pretty good heat from it.

Cheers,
    Mick

Hi folks,

Quick query. We lit our stanley cara (non boiler insert) wednesday night. Just a small fire to start with and again last night. We got our new fireplace surround fitted Monday. A new marble surround with a cast iron insert. When finished the installer cleaned the cast iron with wd40 as he said if you used a wet cloth it would rust the cast over time.. that basically you never clean cast iron with a wet cloth. It did work very well in fairness. Anyway the two nights we've lit so far there's a smell/haze of what appears to be the wd40 'burning' off the insert. I cleaned it down with a dry cloth last night as there was still some residue. Would there also be a smell of the cast iron insert as the paint 'cures' on it? I'm hoping this will pass over the next couple of nights as we continue to light. We have a co2 alarm in the room and that hasnt gone off so its not co2 (i know it doesnt smell) and i'm confident enough the stove is installed correctly - we have a good draft etc. Its not the stove because it was a secondhand stove so there shouldnt be a smell off it the same way there would be off say a new stove.

Anyway apart from the smell everything is going great! we havent burned coal in it yet as wanted everything to set well before putting any major heat in it but even with turf and briquettes there is still pretty good heat from it.

Cheers,
    Mick

It's just the wd40 burning off should be nothing to worry about.If you are cleaning with wd40 just make sure it's dry before you light stove

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Hi DK,
    When we were in our local shop a few weeks ago inquiring about an insert boiler stove we were very impressed with the following stove.
    There was also a fantastic stratford option but it was out of our price range.

Advertisement