Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

jimbev wrote: »
    Can you stick the stove pipe up the chimney and pack it with rockwool to stop any soot coming down

Are you connecting the flue pipe to a flexible flue liner running up the length of the chimney? We have an arrangement like that with a metal plate as a separator. Access to flue pipe and liner via a cover in side of former.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Glantinegaels

Hi has anyone any experience with hestia double sided back boiler stoves looking at one for a new build? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gavin77

Hi I'm looking to get a new fireplace and stove fited seen the fireplace and the stove I want it's an insert Henley achaill6.6 non boiler stove.
    Now the place I Seen it in says that I don't need the flue liner they said all I Need is the bit from the top of the stove up the chimney.
    My house is 12 years old and have never lit a fire in it.
    Their is a gas pipe Siting in the fire place I presume I need to get that disconnected.
    Thanks for any advice.

gavin77 wrote: »
    Hi I'm looking to get a new fireplace and stove fited seen the fireplace and the stove I want it's an insert Henley achaill6.6 non boiler stove.
    Now the place I Seen it in says that I don't need the flue liner they said all I Need is the bit from the top of the stove up the chimney.
    Their is a gas pipe Siting in the fire place I presume I need to get that disconnected.
    Thanks for any advice.

If your house is only 12 years old and the chimney was built for an open fire, then it should have a properly constructed chimney with clay flue liners etc. A quick inspection from below should help. That said, you can never legislate for rogue builders and their sometimes shoddy work and shortcuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

gavin77 wrote: »
    Thanks for any advice.

You'll need a registered gas installer to disconnect your gas. You could get that done in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Hi stove people

Does anyone on here have any experience of a new product called heathero.
    Its saying all the right things about improving my stoves output to rads, saving money and fuel.
    Ive never really had more than lukewarm rads off my Charnwood country 16b, and been disappointed with it since installation. This product says it can correct all that with a 48% incense in heat to the rads.

Can anyone offer any thoughts on how it's plumbed or actual feedback on the heat hero?

Www.Heathero.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Entonces wrote: »
    ...... This product says it can correct all that with a 48% incense in heat to the rads.....

The website actually says
    is proven to increase heat circulation by 48%

There is a difference. Increasing heat circulation may not increase the overall heat by that much.

PS. What fuel are you using in the Charnwood and how much? A 16 kw stove needs a lot of fuel (coal?) to get full output. As far as I can see, the heathero can only improve water circulation if this is poor or the system is poorly balanced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Manon.2411

Me and my hubby buyed a stove last year, we didn't know anything about it, and we traveled all over dublin to find the right shop and all the blablabla, and we finally end up in a place near finglas, the man was really nice and explain everything to us, step by step, we buyed the morgan hamco and we don't have any problem with it.
    i can't really help because every situation and needs are different but the name of the shop is . Even if it's just for info they will answer you, and you might have a free cup of tea.

MOD: PM Manon.2411 for details

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭893bet

Installing two new stoves in a new build.

An ACR Neo 3p (prefer the tor pico but it's just too expensive and a little too big!)
    A Henley Ascot 5 kW.

Anyone any experience with either?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

So I have a Henley Druid 12kw thats only 7 months old which we mostly only light at weekends. Imagine my surprise when I go to light it this evening and find a crack in the glass running from the top to the bottom.

Can anyone shed any light on how this may have occured and I am assuming there is a guarantee with my stove so would it cover this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Jane98 wrote: »
    So I have a Henley Druid 12kw thats only 7 months old which we mostly only light at weekends. Imagine my surprise when I go to light it this evening and find a crack in the glass running from the top to the bottom.

Can anyone shed any light on how this may have occured and I am assuming there is a guarantee with my stove so would it cover this?
    They just crack, they're such delicate little yokes (and expensive, stanley Erin is €50ish to replace) that you might even crack the new one putting it in. You could get 5 years from one or 5 months.

I doubt you have any cover/guarantee on it.

Father has a stove for the last 14 years or so. It's been replaced a good few times.

They just crack, they're such delicate little yokes (and expensive, stanley Erin is €50ish to replace) that you might even crack the new one putting it in. You could get 5 years from one or 5 months.

I doubt you have any cover/guarantee on it.

Father has a stove for the last 14 years or so. It's been replaced a good few times.

?? We have two Waterford stoves running daily through the heating season for the past 15 years now and the glass has never gone in either.

Re Jane98, I'd go back to your supplier and make enquiry. If you haven't done anything wrong, like burning the stove excessively hot, the glass shouldn't have failed. Goods are generally guaranteed for one year from date of purchase against defects resulting from normal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

hi i have rive 55 inset i saw white treads coming out in front of the glass at one place , what should i do??

lovehathi wrote: »
    hi i have rive 55 inset i saw white treads coming out in front of the glass at one place , what should i do??

White threads? Maybe it's part of a sealing gasket poking out? If so, poke it gently back to suit your taste. Maybe others with this model can advise more comprehensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

lovehathi wrote: »

Mine frayed a little bit at one stage ... Just clip it back with a scissors and leave well alone.
    It shouldn't fray after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Casa 2013

Hi,

My parents are doing up their sitting room and are looking to put in a new fireplace and stove. The Ild 6 insert stove has been recommended to them. I have never heard of this brand and Im worried that the stove shop might be pushing these particular stoves. My parents have waited a long time to do this job and I want them to get the best for their money. Has anyone heard of Ild? Is it a good stove with a good heat output? The stove shop said it was a 6k stove thats made in Norway. Any advice or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

I've posted about this before but still not able to get my Stanley Lismore with boiler to work to any satisfactory degree. Would love to talk to anyone out there that has one???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cathellen wrote: »
    I've posted about this before but still not able to get my Stanley Lismore with boiler to work to any satisfactory degree. Would love to talk to anyone out there that has one???

What's the problem with it?

It doesnt heat the radiators beyond warm and it gives little or no heat to the room. Despite putting plenty of fuel into it I cannot get the room warm enough without central heating as well. My room is a double room.but not huge.

It doesnt heat the radiators beyond warm and it gives little or no heat to the room. Despite putting plenty of fuel into it I cannot get the room warm enough without central heating as well. My room is a double room.but not huge.

How many rads do you have?
    What is the output to water from that stove?

• Advertisement

10 rads. The output is 12 to boiler and 5 to room

10 rads. The output is 12 to boiler and 5 to room

It could be a simple piping issue. You'd be amazed at the amount of plumbers that can't pipe solid fuel correctly.
    When only your stove is lighting, after an hour or two, go out to your oil boiler and feel the top. Is it warm?

I haven't lit the stove today. I will try what you suggested the next time I light it. However I have noticed that the stove gets a bit warm when the central heating is on even though it's not lit. I don't know if this is significant. I have this stove 3 years and have been on to Stanley regularly during this time to try and get it sorted. They sent out their technician to me to check the installation. he said it was ok. I'm trying to get him to come out again (trying for the last month!) as Stanley are insisting it's the installation and nothing to do with them.

I haven't lit the stove today. I will try what you suggested the next time I light it. However I have noticed that the stove gets a bit warm when the central heating is on even though it's not lit. I don't know if this is significant. I have this stove 3 years and have been on to Stanley regularly during this time to try and get it sorted. They sent out their technician to me to check the installation. he said it was ok. I'm trying to get him to come out again (trying for the last month!) as Stanley are insisting it's the installation and nothing to do with them.

Maybe post a few pics of the pipework in the hotpress. It sounds like a piping issue. Stoves are simple. It's usually the plumber and pipework that are at fault when they don't work

Thanks for your interest. I'm sending you some pics....hope you can make them out. The pipework may be strange looking because we had a backboiler installed before and there may be some defunct pipes there??
    The first 5 pics are of pipework to stove. The orange is the thermostat which we had to set to 45 to get the stove to work at all!
    The next 2 pics show the pipework in the hotpress to the cylinder. I think these are from the stove as they are on that side.
    The last two are pipes from the oil boiler I think.
    Sorry for the garbled message.

these are the rest of the pics

these are the rest of the pics

Sorry all your pics are too close up. I'd need to see single pics that include as much of the total pipework as possible so I can see what's going on

Have just sent photos from hot press as these are the only ones I can stand back from. I think the first one is to the stove and the second to the oil?? I hope these are better .

Have just sent photos from hot press as these are the only ones I can stand back from. I think the first one is to the stove and the second to the oil?? I hope these are better .

From that distance can u show the pipework underneath the cylinder. Showing as much as u can

• Advertisement

I can't get at the pipe work under the cylinder without taking out the cylinder and taking up the floor boards.
    I'm sending you another of pipework at bottom ...maybe no use??

Advertisement