Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

DOBK wrote: »
    .... TBH I don't know where all the heat is going...

It may be that you are not generating as much heat as you think. Remember that the stove output is proportional to its input. So, for example, burning hardwood, to get 21kw output, you would need to burn approx 7kg of hardwood per hour. (4.16 calorific value X 70% efficiency X 7kg).

It would be interesting if you could estimate or weigh the amount of fuel that you are putting in the stove and the times and we could estimate the actual output of the stove.

PS Coal has a much higher calorific value and would deliver the same output (21 kw) at a rate of about 3 to 3.5kg per hour. I suspect that you need to burn coal if you want to get real heat going.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Review or recommendations about vitae 11.
    Anyone have one or know much about it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

DOBK wrote: »
    Hi Joe, Thanks for reply.
    I think I've made a major mistake going for this stove, as you say there is not enough Kw going to the room, there are two rads in the same room but they don't get very hot either unless we open up the damper and lash in the fuel. TBH I don't know where all the heat is going...

This is why im in 2 minds to buy a stove. Youve to constantly keep it full to get the benefits out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

shugy wrote: »
    This is why im in 2 minds to buy a stove. Youve to constantly keep it full to get the benefits out of it.

You wont have to keep it full if you get one big enough and use high energy fuel.

There is also the other benefit. With the vents closed, you're preventing a lot of room temperature air from going up an otherwise huge hole in room and up the chimney. Plus there is just the nice feeling of sitting in front of a fire and getting that bit of direct heat onto the body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

You wont have to keep it full if you get one big enough and use high energy fuel.

There is also the other benefit. With the vents closed, you're preventing a lot of room temperature air from going up an otherwise huge hole in room and up the chimney. Plus there is just the nice feeling of sitting in front of a fire and getting that bit of direct heat onto the body.

My house is 2400 sq ft so i need a 24kw stove or more and to keep the house comfortable. i need to fill the stove with 24kw of fuel consistently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 LTLOB

Hi folks, in the process of purchasing a house. Three bed semi detached, with gas central heating. Hoping to possibly replace open fireplace with an inset stove which I would like to heat the radiators in the house. Just wondering what kind of money is involved in this process. Completely clueless on what is involved so will obviously be trying to get a number of quotes for the work but at the moment just looking for ball park figure on costs involved. I know the stove I would like comes in at about €1700. Thanks in advance for your help.

LTLOB wrote: »
    Hi folks, in the process of purchasing a house. Three bed semi detached, with gas central heating. Hoping to possibly replace open fireplace with an inset stove which I would like to heat the radiators in the house. Just wondering what kind of money is involved in this process. Completely clueless on what is involved so will obviously be trying to get a number of quotes for the work but at the moment just looking for ball park figure on costs involved. I know the stove I would like comes in at about €1700. Thanks in advance for your help.

Does the current open fire have a backboiler and plumbing already in? That will make a substantial difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

LTLOB wrote: »

Why do you want to do this ? You won't save money.

Does the current open fire have a backboiler and plumbing already in? That will make a substantial difference.

Hi Rebel,

Thanks for reply. No there isn't a back boiler in place.

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Hi Bigcheeze,

Thanks for reply, with regards to wanting to do this I hate the idea of lighting a fire and most of the heat goes up the chimney, and also like when the fire heats the rads in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I was quoted about 3,5k for labor, parts excluding stove in Sligo.I just gave up and put insert stove without back boiler as I won't be using it a lot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I have gas heating, and put in a free standing boiler stove. Saving money was not the idea. It was the lighting a nice fire, and then having to put the gas on as well. The living room is much nicer with the stove firing away, than the radiator from the gas. The gas is handy too though, as I put a home automation setup on it.

It works great having both choices anyway.

loki7777 wrote: »
    I was quoted about 3,5k for labor, parts excluding stove in Sligo.I just gave up and put insert stove without back boiler as I won't be using it a lot anyway.

There is a serious amount of work in them. I thought about an insert myself to reduce the alteration to fireplace. But I eventually got the drill out and opened it up for the free standing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

I know, that is why i just took insert instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Bruthal wrote: »
    I have gas heating, and put in a free standing boiler stove. Saving money was not the idea. It was the lighting a nice fire, and then having to put the gas on as well. The living room is much nicer with the stove firing away, than the radiator from the gas. The gas is handy too though, as I put a home automation setup on it.

It works great having both choices anyway.

Exactly the same setup and motivation as me, however, the poster is talking about putting in a boiler stove and I think people have unrealistic expectations about saving money with boiler stoves. His house is on the natural gas network so if he has a decent boiler, this is the cheapest way to heat his house. Plus boiler stoves are not practical for people who are out during the day as they take time to get going in the evening. Gas is instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Exactly the same setup and motivation as me, however, the poster is talking about putting in a boiler stove and I think people have unrealistic expectations about saving money with boiler stoves. His house is on the natural gas network so if he has a decent boiler, this is the cheapest way to heat his house. Plus boiler stoves are not practical for people who are out during the day as they take time to get going in the evening. Gas is instant.

Nail on head etc.

The poster seems to have a similar motivation too, that when they do light a fire, they would like it to heat the rads.

If setup properly, the gas can heat the place quickly, and light the stove too. I setup my one to lock out the gas boiler when the pipe stat for the stove brings on the pumps.

People doing it to save money should think again unless they have loads of free fuel alright.

I had put a boiler stove in another house that had no proper central heating. Was so impressed with it that I put the same one in my own house. As said, it was more about having the fire heat the water when it was in use, rather than saving money.
    First house original fireplace
    1478312.jpg

Opened out
    1249745.jpg

More or less finished
    6278374_orig.jpg

I had put a boiler stove in another house that had no proper central heating. Was so impressed with it that I put the same one in my own house. As said, it was more about having the fire heat the water when it was in use, rather than saving money.
    First house original fireplace

Nice job.

I plastered the front of mine in a plain finish. Drilled two pieces of re-bar into the wall and stuck a piece of oak in a floating shelf kind of style.
    29oldo3.jpg

Looks tidy Rebel,

My own one here, still a bit of finishing off to do, even though its up and running about a year now.

6955536.jpg

9190396.jpg

7681220.jpg

1130429.jpg

7129888.jpg

2490704.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks tidy Rebel,

My own one here, still a bit of finishing off to do, even though its up and running about a year now.

Looks good. It's never ending :) I already know my jobs for tomorrow. Silence the water running into the tank in the attic. Fix a skirting board. Do some gardening....

The one thing that never changes is I'll never get to the bottom of the list! :D

Looks good. It's never ending :) I already know my jobs for tomorrow. Silence the water running into the tank in the attic. Fix a skirting board. Do some gardening....

The one thing that never changes is I'll never get to the bottom of the list! :D

No, its absolutely never ending is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

How are you going to silence the water going into the header tank? It's something I need to do myself.

cocoman wrote: »
    How are you going to silence the water going into the header tank? It's something I need to do myself.

I was looking at it yesterday since I was in the attic and thinking of a plan. So far my plan is to suspend a piece of pvc piping from some fishing line tied around the part where the ballcock is suspended from. Nothing fancy. I'll let you know how it goes! :)
    Picture me standing hunched over in the attic with a headlamp on, then dropping the pipe into the tank and cursing like a madman. Note to self: dont drop pipe into tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Casa 2013

Anyone have recommendations for a really good double sided stove? It would have to be multi fuel and have a boiler. It would be heating two very large rooms.

I don't know much about brands so Im open to all suggestion. I want one that fits into the wall. No legs. Modern/clean look.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

Can you stick the stove pipe up the chimney and pack it with rockwool to stop any soot coming down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

jimbev wrote: »
    Can you stick the stove pipe up the chimney and pack it with rockwool to stop any soot coming down

Not recommended.

cocoman wrote: »
    Not recommended.

I thought that was pretty standard? Why wouldn't you recommend (genuine question) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭darrenking

Hi just wondering if anyone can tell me what to set the thermostat temperature to off the range. We have 6 radiators to heat in a fairly small dormer semi and it's currently set at 55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Joe1919

jimbev wrote: »

As far as I can see, there are at least three potential problems with this.

1. Sweeping the chimney. The stove may need to be pulled out every year to properly clean the chimney and remove soot/creosote build up at joint. Definitely a huge problem if stove has a boiler.

2.Possible air leakage at junction could be carbon monoxide risk. e.g. Packing could become loose....air leakage would spoil draw..especially if stove dampers closed.

3. Chimney fire.....hot burning creosote runs down chimney onto packing.....reduces the rockwool springy bulkiness .....escapes into room and cause smoke/fire etc

Advertisement