Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

For any coal that cheap I'd be sceptical.
    Not an advocate of burning coal at all, the only fuel I let near my fire is Kiln Dried Ash. Never Coal or Soaking wet petrol station wood.

Do you find kiln dried ash is the best?

We have a Wanders inset wood burner and I have found that KD Oak is quite good but expensive, at present we are burning KD Beech, it burns quicker but is cheaper, Prices and quality seem to differ widely for the same type of wood,

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

SoapFan27 wrote: »
    Hi,

If I was going for the RIVA 40 cassette stove and didn't want a traditional fire surround etc, I've been told I could put in a granite tile surround. Has anyone got images of this? Can't find a whole lot online. Is this my only option? Thanks for any advice.

I am getting a Riva 50 fitted next week. I didn't want a granite or slate surround because samples I saw were very thick. I've been told that you can use tile too, which is thinner. My worry was that the edge would look unfinished but I found this metal tile trim:

https://www.emctiles.co.uk/main/product/productinfo/985/Tile%20Trim%20Metal%20Straight%20Black%20ESA%2012mm/1

The idea is to use a border of 10cm black matt tile with dark grout all around the stove with the trim finishing off the edge. The stove will be raised about 50cm above the hearth with the wall below the stove built up and plastered. I want the tile border to look like an extension of the stove. The hearth is already recessed into the wood floor and the tiles in it will be replaced to match the ones around the stove.

I hope it looks ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

Tr 4kw insert stove any good and one any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

mags16 wrote: »
    I am getting a Riva 50 fitted next week. I didn't want a granite or slate surround because samples I saw were very thick. I've been told that you can use tile too, which is thinner. My worry was that the edge would look unfinished but I found this metal tile trim:

https://www.emctiles.co.uk/main/product/productinfo/985/Tile%20Trim%20Metal%20Straight%20Black%20ESA%2012mm/1

The idea is to use a border of 10cm black matt tile with dark grout all around the stove with the trim finishing off the edge. The stove will be raised about 50cm above the hearth with the wall below the stove built up and plastered. I want the tile border to look like an extension of the stove. The hearth is already recessed into the wood floor and the tiles in it will be replaced to match the ones around the stove.

I hope it looks ok.

Thanks Mags, that sounds like a great idea. Would love to see pics when it's done if you want to share. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Thanks Mags, that sounds like a great idea. Would love to see pics when it's done if you want to share. thanks!

Will do, SoapFan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Going to go ahead with the Vitae 6kw cassette stove. Hopefully get it installed this week and will give some feedback.

I did notice when looking at one at weekend, there was multifuel kit installed but it is not totally metal internally. I looked at installation guide and they are firebrick. Do you know how many years before they have to be replaced?

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/vitaestove6kw.html

Got this stove recommended to me today by the chimney engineer that did an inspection, says he has one in his house and recommends it highly... look forward to the feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Got this stove recommended to me today by the chimney engineer that did an inspection, says he has one in his house and recommends it highly... look forward to the feedback.

Its been installed on Friday.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys I've decided on a stratford eb 20 for my house. Does anyone know where i can take a look at the unit most places i call don't have one on display but can order for me. Also what do you guys think of this model cheers

You mention good fuel, so plan on using logs but was going to get some coal as well. I seen the bargain forum thread about the coal from up north....so was going to buy in some bags. Based on option below I am going to go with the Champion Premium Coal, I guess this would be the best for stove?

Slack 40kg for €6
    Amber King 40kg for €7
    Champion Premium Coal 40kg for €8
    Black Diamond Blend 40kg for €10 (semi smokeless)
    Smokeless Ovoids 40kg for €12

Hi thats some great prices you quoted for fuel where is that available cheers

Hi thats some great prices you quoted for fuel where is that available cheers

Thread on bargains forum, you need to order in pallet of coal from North....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Thread on bargains forum, you need to order in pallet of coal from North....

I ordered a pallet of Champion yesterday. Delivered today. Delivery to Dublin is done through Ace for €46.
    Great prices if you have the space or can share with neighbors.

s.welstead wrote: »
    I ordered a pallet of Champion yesterday. Delivered today. Delivery to Dublin is done through Ace for €46.
    Great prices if you have the space or can share with neighbors.

Hi do you have a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Ya, Beech is great and gives solid heat but you've hit the nail on the head, it burns much quicker than Ash. Pricewise, you'd prob be payind circa €300 for a 2m3 load of KD Ash. Once its Kiln Dried then the quality should be perfect. (Note: Should) Always test with a moisture meter.
    Bebop wrote: »
    Do you find kiln dried ash is the best?

We have a Wanders inset wood burner and I have found that KD Oak is quite good but expensive, at present we are burning KD Beech, it burns quicker but is cheaper, Prices and quality seem to differ widely for the same type of wood,

Not a great stove, you'd get better. How big is the room you are looking to heat? Can you post a pic of the fireplace?
    trigger78 wrote: »
    Tr 4kw insert stove any good and one any advice

Stratford are one of the best Boiler Stoves on the market. Very efficient boiler and a nice sized unit.

Where are you based? I have one on display in Galway if that's any good.
    Hi guys I've decided on a stratford eb 20 for my house. Does anyone know where i can take a look at the unit most places i call don't have one on display but can order for me. Also what do you guys think of this model cheers

Any idea if Stanley Lismore 11kw is any good? my mate is talking about putting one in.....he is paying ALOT for it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hi do you have a link please?

Don't want to hijack thread with info that is in another thread already.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94009594

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

The Lismore is a good stove but it is overpriced.

Stratford are one of the best Boiler Stoves on the market. Very efficient boiler and a nice sized unit.

Where are you based? I have one on display in Galway if that's any good.

Hi im in north county dublin thanks anyway, if you don't mind me asking how much are you selling the eb 20 for cheers again

Job done....nice neat finish

Now to fire it up and see how it goes.....

Before & after pics attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Looks great, can I ask who installed it for you and where did you buy?

I'll send you a PM so as not to annoy the boards Gods.
    Hi im in north county dublin thanks anyway, if you don't mind me asking how much are you selling the eb 20 for cheers again

Looks good, hope they are going to put on the frame around it to finish it off for you.

Looks good, hope they are going to put on the frame around it to finish it off for you.

Yeah, he forgot a part and is installing it later....

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Briany3

Looks great, can I ask who installed it for you and where did you buy?

Can I know to. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Can I ask what stove would be best to suit our needs?
    Stratford eb 25 kW boiler stove or the inis mean mk 2 boiler stove?
    17 odd rads in gaff, large open plan kitchen living room space to be heated -500 sq foot, 3 rads in that room also. Joining into oil fired central heating too.
    Advice welcome.
    Thsnks

Briany3 wrote: »
    Can I know to. Thanks.

Hey, not sure what story is with posting recommendation on the thread? maybe mod can clarify?

PM me if you want details....

Just an update, I am loving it and only kicking myself I didn't install it year ago.

Heat is great from it, I got a guy from adverts to deliver logs etc. He gave me quick burning high heat logs and slow burning. To be honest I was laughing when he delivered but they have worked out great

Great heat out of it, big firebox so I can fire in big logs which is great help. Very grateful for advice from installer. Alot better than the insert stoves I was looking at with very small firebox.
    I can fire on log, leave the house, come back a few hours later and it is burning away and house has the chill taken out of it, seriously reducing the amount of gas we are using. Heat is so good we can leave door of sitting room open to heat rest of house

As mentioned on here the ash box is a little small but not a huge concern as I just empty each morning, really easy to pull out and just fire into bin so I wouldn't really mark it down for that

Anyway very happy customer. Install guy was great as well......as said I wish I done it years ago

Both are fantastic stoves, and will work a charm on the Radiators and Water. But because it is a large open plan space, the Inis has the advantage of giving much better heat to the room than the Stratford.
    Inis gets my vote. Where are you based, I might be able to recommend someone good in your area?
    gomamochi1 wrote: »
    Can I ask what stove would be best to suit our needs?
    Stratford eb 25 kW boiler stove or the inis mean mk 2 boiler stove?
    17 odd rads in gaff, large open plan kitchen living room space to be heated -500 sq foot, 3 rads in that room also. Joining into oil fired central heating too.
    Advice welcome.
    Thsnks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Just an update, I am loving it and only kicking myself I didn't install it year ago.

Heat is great from it, I got a guy from adverts to deliver logs etc. He gave me quick burning high heat logs and slow burning. To be honest I was laughing when he delivered but they have worked out great

Great heat out of it, big firebox so I can fire in big logs which is great help. Very grateful for advice from installer. Alot better than the insert stoves I was looking at with very small firebox.
    I can fire on log, leave the house, come back a few hours later and it is burning away and house has the chill taken out of it, seriously reducing the amount of gas we are using. Heat is so good we can leave door of sitting room open to heat rest of house

As mentioned on here the ash box is a little small but not a huge concern as I just empty each morning, really easy to pull out and just fire into bin so I wouldn't really mark it down for that

Anyway very happy customer. Install guy was great as well......as said I wish I done it years ago

Good stuff. Enjoy.
    Careful with the ashes. They are generally quiet hot from the fire the night before emptying.

Advertisement