Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Cassette Stoves and Inset Stoves work exactly the same way; convection. And as long as you are comparing like for like (6kw vs 6kw) then the only difference will be brand/design.

Cassette stoves are a contemporary design and flush to the fireplace and typically give a large viewing pane while inset stoves typically come out 3/4 inches and are more traditional in design.

Vitae is a nice stove, but comes as standard as a Woodburning Stove. Make sure you get the Multifuel Kit with it. They've redesigned it recently to move the riddle and air controls to the side as opposed being operated via a lever which came through the glass. This works much better with the change.

Thanks.....was wondering what the difference, guy was saying the cassette is better than a stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Thanks.....was wondering what the difference, guy was saying the cassette is better than a stove.

Just check the ash box on those (why we decided against), seemed very very small so depending on what you are burning of for how long might cause you some grief. the older model the grate riddle arm came out through the ash box, but the newer ones are at the side

Blowheads wrote: »
    Just check the ash box on those (why we decided against), seemed very very small so depending on what you are burning of for how long might cause you some grief. the older model the grate riddle arm came out through the ash box, but the newer ones are at the side

I dont mind ash box, in terms of the grate riddle, is this an issue with them? Thanks

you should care re ash box, esp if its overflowing every time you light the fire. riddle grate seemed ok

Blowheads wrote: »
    you should care re ash box, esp if its overflowing every time you light the fire. riddle grate seemed ok

I would guess I would only need to clear out every night? I must have a look somewhere

• Advertisement

yep, have a look. it really depends on how much you burn and what your are burning
    if running it for a long time with turf for example i could see it being a right pain as it would overflow and become a bit messy. dont under-estimate it

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Hello, I've been reading and reading and reading, just when I think I have made a decision I am told something else and everything goes to pot!! Would love some help and advice.

These are the radiators I need a stove to heat: 4 x 1400 Doubles, 1 x 1600 Double, 1 x 1200 Double, 2 x 1200 Singles, 1 x 600 Single. The radiators are 20inches in height. I've it down to 2 stoves. 1. Stanley Reginald, 2. Henley Blasket.

Stanley have told me that once we burn coal or anthracite the Reginald will be fine to heat what I need it to heat. Some of the Stanley stockists have said the Reginald would be at its limit and wouldn't really be sufficient. Some suggested the Henley which is a nice looking stove and quite similar to the Reginald. One other stockist told me the Reginald is much better than the Blasket stating it is 'a far superior stove' and that I should choose that over the Blasket.

The Blasket is about €500 cheaper but I would rather get whichever really is the better stove and will suit us. Can anyone shed any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Based on my calculation, neither of those stoves are powerful enough to heat the rads you have listed. I estimate you need a stove with a power to heat the equivalent of 15rads plus hot water. So a stove with around 18-20kw to Water alone is what you need.

How big is the room you are putting it into?
    At the minute, the Stratford EB20, Inis Mór mk2 (might be ok with Inis Meain mk2) and Henley Druid 25 would be my recommendations.

Hello, I've been reading and reading and reading, just when I think I have made a decision I am told something else and everything goes to pot!! Would love some help and advice.

These are the radiators I need a stove to heat: 4 x 1400 Doubles, 1 x 1600 Double, 1 x 1200 Double, 2 x 1200 Singles, 1 x 600 Single. The radiators are 20inches in height. I've it down to 2 stoves. 1. Stanley Reginald, 2. Henley Blasket.

Stanley have told me that once we burn coal or anthracite the Reginald will be fine to heat what I need it to heat. Some of the Stanley stockists have said the Reginald would be at its limit and wouldn't really be sufficient. Some suggested the Henley which is a nice looking stove and quite similar to the Reginald. One other stockist told me the Reginald is much better than the Blasket stating it is 'a far superior stove' and that I should choose that over the Blasket.

The Blasket is about €500 cheaper but I would rather get whichever really is the better stove and will suit us. Can anyone shed any light?

Quick question

I was with company earlier and they said if I use a timber outer frame, even if I replace the inner center piece I will not be insured anymore because I have replaced my fireplace with a stove and for a stove I need to have a marble type frame. They had no problem replacing it for 3000+

Is this correct? as per picture before the very outside frame is timber but rest would be currently steel but I am replacing this with the stove, putting in recommended unit by installer....he never mentioned I would need to change the outer timber frame....

It is a pressing issue lately; the distance from a stove to a combustible surface.

In truth, you might never have an issue with the timber surround you have and a low heat output stove such as the Dimpex 4i or a Henley Apollo 5.
    But if you cook those stoves, you'll find the underside of the mantle to get extremely hot. (And with wood being combustible, it is not unreasonable to assume that that could pose as a fire hazard).

It's almost getting to a stage where regulation will soon be here that no stove can be installed with a timber surround. But if in doubt, call your home insurance provider and see what their policy on it is. AFAIK, you need a VERY minimum of 300mm distance from any combustible surface.
    Quick question

I was with company earlier and they said if I use a timber outer frame, even if I replace the inner center piece I will not be insured anymore because I have replaced my fireplace with a stove and for a stove I need to have a marble type frame. They had no problem replacing it for 3000+

Is this correct? as per picture before the very outside frame is timber but rest would be currently steel but I am replacing this with the stove, putting in recommended unit by installer....he never mentioned I would need to change the outer timber frame....

• Advertisement

I've attached an image showing the recommended distances from an inset stove to a combustible surface.

This was given to me by Henley.

I've attached an image showing the recommended distances from an inset stove to a combustible surface.

This was given to me by Henley.

Perfect. Thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Perfect. Thanks....

Just to note.... all stoves differ in distance to combustibles.
    so for example
    building regulations state min 300mm to nearest combustibles or stove manufacturer distance whichever is greater..
    So timber surrounds depend on which stove you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tomc77

I just bought a house and am looking to replace a gas fire with a stove. I had a plumber?? out to look at it and he said it can't take a stove as the flue needs to be absolutely straight up to get any draw.

Sorry I don't have privileges to post a picture (not enough posts yet!)

The current set-up is that over the gas fire there is a space which which is connected to the chimney via a horizontal flue (about 1 foot long I guess). It would take a bit of work to remove all this and connect back into the chimney but the flue would never be straight up as the wall the stove is going on, is offset at at angle to the original fireplace.

Was the plumber right or is it worth pursuing the stove option. It you are angling a flue back into the chimney is there a maximum angle it can come off at. Really don't want to do all this work and end up with a useless stove. I will be getting it installed by a plumber.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tomc77 wrote: »
    I just bought a house and am looking to replace a gas fire with a stove. I had a plumber?? out to look at it and he said it can't take a stove as the flue needs to be absolutely straight up to get any draw.

Sorry I don't have privileges to post a picture (not enough posts yet!)

The current set-up is that over the gas fire there is a space which which is connected to the chimney via a horizontal flue (about 1 foot long I guess). It would take a bit of work to remove all this and connect back into the chimney but the flue would never be straight up as the wall the stove is going on, is offset at at angle to the original fireplace.

Was the plumber right or is it worth pursuing the stove option. It you are angling a flue back into the chimney is there a maximum angle it can come off at. Really don't want to do all this work and end up with a useless stove. I will be getting it installed by a plumber.

Thanks

45 degrees is the max angle you can use

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Tomc77

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    45 degrees is the max angle you can use

Thanks. How compromised would a stove (mainly burning coal) be if the angle was 45 Degrees?
    Would you be better to try to break into the chimney higher up to keep the angle lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Based on my calculation, neither of those stoves are powerful enough to heat the rads you have listed. I estimate you need a stove with a power to heat the equivalent of 15rads plus hot water. So a stove with around 18-20kw to Water alone is what you need.

How big is the room you are putting it into?
    At the minute, the Stratford EB20, Inis Mór mk2 (might be ok with Inis Meain mk2) and Henley Druid 25 would be my recommendations.

Thanks, the plumber said 21kw would be what we need??? Wondering now.... the room is 19ft x 16ft. At least I have completely ruled out the Reginald. Can't believe Stanley don't do a bigger stove

Going to go ahead with the Vitae 6kw cassette stove. Hopefully get it installed this week and will give some feedback.

I did notice when looking at one at weekend, there was multifuel kit installed but it is not totally metal internally. I looked at installation guide and they are firebrick. Do you know how many years before they have to be replaced?

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/vitaestove6kw.html

The firebrick will need to be replaced over time alright, but you should expect 5+ years before having to do that as long as you look after the stove and burn good clean dry fuel.

The firebrick is great at getting the heat out into the room much quicker than the cast-iron equivalent.
    Going to go ahead with the Vitae 6kw cassette stove. Hopefully get it installed this week and will give some feedback.

I did notice when looking at one at weekend, there was multifuel kit installed but it is not totally metal internally. I looked at installation guide and they are firebrick. Do you know how many years before they have to be replaced?

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/vitaestove6kw.html

The firebrick will need to be replaced over time alright, but you should expect 5+ years before having to do that as long as you look after the stove and burn good clean dry fuel.

The firebrick is great at getting the heat out into the room much quicker than the cast-iron equivalent.

You mention good fuel, so plan on using logs but was going to get some coal as well. I seen the bargain forum thread about the coal from up north....so was going to buy in some bags. Based on option below I am going to go with the Champion Premium Coal, I guess this would be the best for stove?

Slack 40kg for €6
    Amber King 40kg for €7
    Champion Premium Coal 40kg for €8
    Black Diamond Blend 40kg for €10 (semi smokeless)
    Smokeless Ovoids 40kg for €12

• Advertisement

For any coal that cheap I'd be sceptical.
    Not an advocate of burning coal at all, the only fuel I let near my fire is Kiln Dried Ash. Never Coal or Soaking wet petrol station wood.

You mention good fuel, so plan on using logs but was going to get some coal as well. I seen the bargain forum thread about the coal from up north....so was going to buy in some bags. Based on option below I am going to go with the Champion Premium Coal, I guess this would be the best for stove?

Slack 40kg for €6
    Amber King 40kg for €7
    Champion Premium Coal 40kg for €8
    Black Diamond Blend 40kg for €10 (semi smokeless)
    Smokeless Ovoids 40kg for €12

For any coal that cheap I'd be sceptical.
    Not an advocate of burning coal at all, the only fuel I let near my fire is Kiln Dried Ash. Never Coal or Soaking wet petrol station wood.

I wouldn't think that would be too cheap....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'm renting a house so can't have a permanent fixture of a stove or make too many changes. So i want to have a stove sitting on the hearth with a rear flue exiting at at 45 degree to the chimney flue.

Found a good stove which suits my needs and can have a rear flue. The problem is that the flue is at the same height as part of the fireplace surround. I've attached a picture. The 'hood' is what gets in the way. Is there any way of temporarily removing that?

s.welstead wrote: »
    I'm renting a house so can't have a permanent fixture of a stove or make too many changes. So i want to have a stove sitting on the hearth with a rear flue exiting at at 45 degree to the chimney flue.

Found a good stove which suits my needs and can have a rear flue. The problem is that the flue is at the same height as part of the fireplace surround. I've attached a picture. The 'hood' is what gets in the way. Is there any way of temporarily removing that?

I have same problem, I am removing the surround and replacing....there is no other way to get around this....well from what I can see and also from the installer...

Unless you get a saw and cut it off of course, superglue is bound to work to put back on :P

Is the hood bolted on or is it all one piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Is the hood bolted on or is it all one piece?

I hadn't actually considered it might be bolted. I've just gone in and given it a good clean and managed to find three bolts. Cleaned it further and they are screwed in.
    It might be difficult to get a screwdriver into the space but should be possible.

Thanks!

Glad to have helped. :)
    I hadn't actually considered it might be bolted. I've just gone in and given it a good clean and managed to find three bolts. Cleaned it further and they are screwed in.
    It might be difficult to get a screwdriver into the space but should be possible.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had the same sort of fireplace (although square rather than round).

I have stood an Inis Airc stove in front of it, the flue comes out the back at the required angle, and off up the chimney with it. There's also the option for the flue to come out the top as well, which obviously didn't suit.

So maybe a different stove might make things simpler?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought I was going to have the same problem with my fireplace (although it's square rather than round).

I have stood an Inis Airc stove in front of it, the flue comes out the back at the required angle, and off up the chimney with it. There's also the option for the flue to come out the top as well, which obviously didn't suit.

So maybe a different stove might make things simpler?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Hi,

If I was going for the Vitae 6KW cassette stove and didn't want a traditional fire surround etc, I've been told I could put in a granite tile surround. Has anyone got images of this? Can't find a whole lot online. Is this my only option? Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement