Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

That be the sale price alright but out in craghwell. Will check Gordon's at the weekend

You know or buy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,303 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Blowheads wrote: »
    That be the sale price alright but out in craghwell. Will check Gordon's at the weekend

You know or buy one?

Bought one. Fantastic insert stove. Very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey, got a price....wondering if this is around right or a bit expensive?

5kw mat black stove, flue kit, fire blanket, installed
    €1390 inc vat

The stove price is 690 euro....link here
    http://kingfireplaces.ie/products/stoves/ruby_inset_stoves/in-category/inset_stove/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey, got a price....wondering if this is around right or a bit expensive?

5kw mat black stove, flue kit, fire blanket, installed
    €1390 inc vat

The stove price is 690 euro....link here
    http://kingfireplaces.ie/products/stoves/ruby_inset_stoves/in-category/inset_stove/

What flue is included in this?

What flue is included in this?

Just says

If the fire opening is standard and if there is a standard flue liner in the chimney that we can get a connection to seal the flue outlet of the stove into the following will be the approximate finished in stalled price.

So just standard fittings I would guess based on that part....if they cant connect then it will be additional

• Advertisement

In that case then you're being over charged.
    Standard flu connection to clay liner for that stove is around €120. €15 for blanket. That means he is charging you over €500 to fit a stove? Extortionate!

Where are you based, might be able to recommend someone more reasonable.
    Just says

If the fire opening is standard and if there is a standard flue liner in the chimney that we can get a connection to seal the flue outlet of the stove into the following will be the approximate finished in stalled price.

So just standard fittings I would guess based on that part....if they cant connect then it will be additional

In that case then you're being over charged.
    Standard flu connection to clay liner for that stove is around €120. €15 for blanket. That means he is charging you over €500 to fit a stove? Extortionate!

Where are you based, might be able to recommend someone more reasonable.

Dublin 15....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Does anyone know a rough cost of supply and fit of a steel liner to a chimney in a 2 storey house?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

Hi from bray any one know good place to supply and fit around area or close bye or even a good installer

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

trigger78 wrote: »
    Hi from bray any one know good place to supply and fit around area or close bye or even a good installer

https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?msid=202026052274911030347.0004d3de4737ab6b6ff29&msa=0&dg=feature

I think this could be a good place to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 nhickey

Hi we're purchasing a new build semi detatched house with gas central heating, down stairs rooms are an average size - both the kitchen & family room are 5mx6m each with a small enough sitting room (3.7mx4.5m) with the fireplace. We felt the room was small and for a purely aesthetic reason we fancied the cara insert.

But a few people have advised us to get a back boiler to heat a few of the rads too. Would an insert with back boiler be a waste of money? I feel heat out put to the room would lessen & I'm not convinced it'll heat enough rads with suitable heat to be worth the extra money. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I feel maybe investing in solar panels for hot water would be a better investment but my ppartner thinks that before we put down floors we should just throw in a back boiler anyway.

Thanks for any advise it'd be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bandygirl

Hi all, I'm so relieved to find this thread. We have reached the point in our refurb that were looking at stove boilers to fit so the plumber can finish the pipe work.

Our bungalow is 1500 square feet and has a total of 13 individual rads. 7 brand new Quinn twin metal ones in the four bed rooms. all about 11feet sq an access hall 4 ft by 23, utility room 12 x 12 and a hidden one in the living room 15 ft sq and 11 ft high. there are 6 old cast iron rads. These are in the living room kitchen bathroom and entrance hall and second toilet. All new and old rads have thermostatic control valves. The house is split level ( dropping two feet on one side from gable to gable. The living room is eleven feet high and 15 x 15 and this is where we want to put our stove boiler. The copper tank is ten feet from the stoves position. Our plan is to run the flue all the way to and through the ceiling into the attic, then two 45s and into the existing chimney packed with vermiculite and using twin walled flue from just under the ceiling all the way into the chimney. The cast iron rads in total are needing about 25,000BTU and our plumber is saying a 25 30kw stove boiler is needed. We looked at everything from the boru carraig mor 25/30kw to the herald hunter inis Stanley chanwood anvil stradford and loads others. Just wondering if anyone can advise on a good one which is better etc? We're leaning towards the boru due to price but don't want to save today to pay again later. Also is anyone able to tell us is this the correct need of kw were bein told at 25- 30kw. The house was built in 84-86 has aero board insulation 50-60 mm thick. New weather master windows are going in next month and the roof is being redone and freshly insulated.

Our heads are wrecked from being told something different in every store so need some clarity.
    Thanks in advance

We have no loyalty to either cast iron or welded plate, or a combo of both. Can't say I like the look of the boru but at the price can't not consider it. The hunter chanwood are the look we favour

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

Bandygirl wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm so relieved to find this thread. We have reached the point in our refurb that were looking at stove boilers to fit so the plumber can finish the pipe work.

Our bungalow is 1500 square feet and has a total of 13 individual rads. 7 brand new Quinn twin metal ones in the four bed rooms. all about 11feet sq an access hall 4 ft by 23, utility room 12 x 12 and a hidden one in the living room 15 ft sq and 11 ft high. there are 6 old cast iron rads. These are in the living room kitchen bathroom and entrance hall and second toilet. All new and old rads have thermostatic control valves. The house is split level ( dropping two feet on one side from gable to gable. The living room is eleven feet high and 15 x 15 and this is where we want to put our stove boiler. The copper tank is ten feet from the stoves position. Our plan is to run the flue all the way to and through the ceiling into the attic, then two 45s and into the existing chimney packed with vermiculite and using twin walled flue from just under the ceiling all the way into the chimney. The cast iron rads in total are needing about 25,000BTU and our plumber is saying a 25 30kw stove boiler is needed. We looked at everything from the boru carraig mor 25/30kw to the herald hunter inis Stanley chanwood anvil stradford and loads others. Just wondering if anyone can advise on a good one which is better etc? We're leaning towards the boru due to price but don't want to save today to pay again later. Also is anyone able to tell us is this the correct need of kw were bein told at 25- 30kw. The house was built in 84-86 has aero board insulation 50-60 mm thick. New weather master windows are going in next month and the roof is being redone and freshly insulated.

Our heads are wrecked from being told something different in every store so need some clarity.
    Thanks in advance

I'll just give you my two bob worth speaking from personal experience as someone who moved into a house 18 months ago and re-did the entire heating system fitting two stoves (one wet, one dry) in the process. Our house is about 2200sq ft dormer.

Some general comments:
    - You're about to put in a new system but you're leaving the tank as copper. Id go the whole 9 yards and make it stainless. I had copper. Went stainless. The difference is VERY noticeable.
    - I think you could look at 20-25kwh in total in the RIGHT stove. 30 seems a bit strong unless im missing something.
    - Of the stoves you mention, I would shorted your list to the Stratford EB20, the Inish Meain and Charnwood (not sure what there equivalent model us but i think its Island or Country are the two). I wouldnt save on the stove. Not all stoves are equal, far from it. I wouldn't have confidence in the Boru for what you want. Wouldnt fancy the Hunter either.
    - Are the walls cavity filled? and will you have extra insulation in the attic when its done. There's no point producing Xkw when Ykw is flying out the external walls and roof of your house.
    - Can you even introduce limited zoning? Bedrooms and Living area for instance. It would take some pressure of the stove and give you room to manouevre.

I'll leave the more experience guys on this thread to comment on how you plan to run the flu. These things do have an effect on stove performance so id be tending to keep it simple and always have a plan B (or easy way to change) if you have to. And thats from someone that had to make many changes (big and small) after doing it all once.

bigdawg wrote: »
    I'll just give you my two bob worth speaking from personal experience as someone who moved into a house 18 months ago and re-did the entire heating system fitting two stoves (one wet, one dry) in the process. Our house is about 2200sq ft dormer.

Some general comments:
    - You're about to put in a new system but you're leaving the tank as copper. Id go the whole 9 yards and make it stainless. I had copper. Went stainless. The difference is VERY noticeable.
    - I think you could look at 20-25kwh in total in the RIGHT stove. 30 seems a bit strong unless im missing something.
    - Of the stoves you mention, I would shorted your list to the Stratford EB20, the Inish Meain and Charnwood (not sure what there equivalent model us but i think its Island or Country are the two). I wouldnt save on the stove. Not all stoves are equal, far from it. I wouldn't have confidence in the Boru for what you want. Wouldnt fancy the Hunter either.
    - Are the walls cavity filled? and will you have extra insulation in the attic when its done. There's no point producing Xkw when Ykw is flying out the external walls and roof of your house.
    - Can you even introduce limited zoning? Bedrooms and Living area for instance. It would take some pressure of the stove and give you room to manouevre.

I'll leave the more experience guys on this thread to comment on how you plan to run the flu. These things do have an effect on stove performance so id be tending to keep it simple and always have a plan B (or easy way to change) if you have to. And thats from someone that had to make many changes (big and small) after doing it all once.

Wow bigdawg thanks for the fantastic reply. Yeah we hav a two zone system going in. We didn't go for the stainless due to the cost but have the new plumbing system ready and set to take a bigger tank in the future if and when needed and the funds become available.
    As for the questions ya asked.
    The walls are cavity with older aero board insulation in them about 50mm thick. But we plan to pump it as there are questionable patches. The attic has 100mm of rock wool but were gonna go more and in the future the plan is to spray the internal roof also ( again as funds are available so not this year) yeah a lot of people are saying the stradford is class but it does look like the boru and having made a gas cylinder stove during the summer for bbqs i cant say either looks any better than what i made We loved the look of the inish stove and the chanwood was our aim but any provider with it said it doesn't come in a big enough size for our needs. Thanks again for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Looking for an 8KW stove for a new build. Will not be used to heat radiators. Any recommendations? And best places in North County Dublin to get one? Also will be looking for someone to install it so all recommendations welcome? Got quoted €2400 for a 8KW Boru stove inc installation. Seemed very high to me

http://ryanstoves.ie/product/dimplex-westcott-inset/

Seen this, anyone have any experience of it? got Ryan Stoves link from thread on bargains forum....seems a few people have used them before???

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trigger78

Anyone know anything about mazona tuscan insert stoves. Any good. value for money was quoted 650 for a 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Anybody any experience with Dru stoves? are they any good?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Brightfire Stoves http://www.toolandgarden.ie/collections/stoves

I know the people who make them, but have no interest in the company. I just put this link up here to give people more options.
    I really hate it when (like this site) it says "call for price". Why not display the price on the website?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Hi, putting insert stove in and am taking out existing old fashioned fireplace. Would also like to replace hearth also as I've seen an image in a magazine of a tiled hearth that runs flush with the wooden floor. (page 11 middle photo on the attached http://www.aradastoves.com/pdf/brochures/arada-brochure-2014.pdf )

Is it possible to do this with a wood burner? I read that limestone is a bit soft and might crack. Would like cream/gray/greenish look like the image referenced above.

Any feedback appreciated thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

padre78 wrote: »
    Anybody any experience with Dru stoves? are they any good?

We had a DRU 64 stove, very, very good. Be careful where you are putting it, that the room is of the correct size. It could "melt" you

rumar wrote: »
    Looking for an 8KW stove for a new build. Will not be used to heat radiators. Any recommendations? And best places in North County Dublin to get one? Also will be looking for someone to install it so all recommendations welcome? Got quoted €2400 for a 8KW Boru stove inc installation. Seemed very high to me

Get on to the lads in Fordes Furniture Superstore, I know they do a lot of work in North Co. Dub. And unless you're getting a complimentary reach around, that price is very high.

http://ryanstoves.ie/product/dimplex-westcott-inset/

Seen this, anyone have any experience of it? got Ryan Stoves link from thread on bargains forum....seems a few people have used them before???

Only O..K.. if you have a tiny room. 10ftx10ft. It has a very small firebox in it. You'd be more advisable going for a Henley Apollo 5 for an extra €100. Different class of a Stove altogether.

trigger78 wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about mazona tuscan insert stoves. Any good. value for money was quoted 650 for a 5k

Grand stove, not overly impressed with the design of the air vents at the top. Very 'Transformer-ish' You'd get the Henley Apollo 5 for the same price and to me it is a more aesthetically pleasing stove. (Both do exactly the same job,however.)

Only O..K.. if you have a tiny room. 10ftx10ft. It has a very small firebox in it. You'd be more advisable going for a Henley Apollo 5 for an extra €100. Different class of a Stove altogether.

I was interested in it as you dont have to change the flue or anything, it can just slot in.

The Henley looks to be circa €650 and the Westcott is €350 after €75 cashback with Goodwins which seems good value to me. But again I don't know stoves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

SoapFan27 wrote: »
    Hi, putting insert stove in and am taking out existing old fashioned fireplace. Would also like to replace hearth also as I've seen an image in a magazine of a tiled hearth that runs flush with the wooden floor. (page 11 middle photo on the attached http://www.aradastoves.com/pdf/brochures/arada-brochure-2014.pdf )

Is it possible to do this with a wood burner? I read that limestone is a bit soft and might crack. Would like cream/gray/greenish look like the image referenced above.

Any feedback appreciated thanks!

I put a slate hearth in recently , and got it more or less level with the wooden floor ( very small sitting room with a huge fireplace so I didn't want to be tripping over it ) . A lot depends on how thick your wooden floor is and what's under it - ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I was interested in it as you dont have to change the flue or anything, it can just slot in.

The Henley looks to be circa €650 and the Westcott is €350 after €75 cashback with Goodwins which seems good value to me. But again I don't know stoves.

It's actually a good price for the Westcott to be fair, it's usually €495. (ish)

Still, taking the money out of it, the Henley is a MUCH better stove.

I'm not a big fan of flue-less stoves such as the Dimplex. I feel much safer advocating a fully sealed flue system.

It's actually a good price for the Westcott to be fair, it's usually €495. (ish)

Still, taking the money out of it, the Henley is a MUCH better stove.

I'm not a big fan of flue-less stoves such as the Dimplex. I feel much safer advocating a fully sealed flue system.

From what I can see the Henley looks to be a lot better solution. The money is the issue....really the fire place at the moment is just a huge drain on heat in the house, it was cheap and the back part of it has no damper or nothing so it is just a way for heat to escape. Even if I light the fire the heat goes straight up it.

Really if I could get a decent solution which will provide heat into the room then I would be happy...

You mention the firebox is small, would it take standard logs? or too small?

• Advertisement

One, maybe two logs at best.

How big is the room you're putting the stove into?
    From what I can see the Henley looks to be a lot better solution. The money is the issue....really the fire place at the moment is just a huge drain on heat in the house, it was cheap and the back part of it has no damper or nothing so it is just a way for heat to escape. Even if I light the fire the heat goes straight up it.

Really if I could get a decent solution which will provide heat into the room then I would be happy...

You mention the firebox is small, would it take standard logs? or too small?

Advertisement