Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

I usually empty mine into a biscuit tin and leave them outside for a couple of hours to make sure they are fully gone out, very nasty to come out to wheely bin on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Anyone e here have any experience with olymberel Gabriel stoves? The one we have the rod for shaking the grate is broken, the arm is still attached to the grate but when I pull the rod in and out it feels like it's not attached to anything? I know I can buy the complete rod but have no idea how to go about fitting it. Is it a job for a plumber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 happy fish 77

We have a new build house which will be heated by a boiler stove, oil and solar panels for hot water. Upstairs and downstairs radiators will be zoned 12 & 9. The room with stove is 5.8m x 4.1m and standard ceiling height. The stove needs to be external air ready and have an efficiency of 75% or more for ber rating.
    We have been recommended the following stoves and I'm looking for your opinions or further suggestions as my brain is addled at the minute with so many stoves on the market.
    1. Stanley lismore - haven't been able to see this in real life.
    2. Inis meain - think I prefer a single door, but could live with it if needed.
    3. Henley druid 21- think the room output is too high.
    4. Boru carraig mor 20kw - can't fine ce approval logo
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are meeting our plumber at the end of the week and ask his advice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tuts ballymac

friends of mine got Bilberry 8kw thrilled with it;

we about to purchase Dru 78, anyone know about this stove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Considering a Bilberry insert stove. (link: This one)

Any views or experience with it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

friends of mine got Bilberry 8kw thrilled with it;

we about to purchase Dru 78, anyone know about this stove?

Re the 78 don't know except its only wood burning, it severely limits your fuel options. We had a dru 64 multi fuel, it was excellent, well made series serious heat. Consider that one so you can burn coal, turf, briquettes. Sister has wood only, not a happy camper

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Hi,

Looking into best practice installation. Does anyone know if you put in a flexi liner up entire chimney whether you need the minimum 600mm single wall connecting flexi to stove? Or can the flexi fit directly to stove with the adaptor? Bit confused with the guide I am reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kingjp1st

Hi,

We are building on an extension at the rear of our property, creating an L shaped open planned Kitchen/dining room and living room. The stove will be situated in the new extended part.

The new extension will be approximately 4.725m (l) x 4.715m (w) x 2.7m (h). I'm looking for recommendations as to an inset multifuel stove that would heat this room and the adjoining Kitchen/Dining room which is approximately 5m x 6m.

We are also planning on inserting a back boiler to help heat 10 radiators in the house which are currently heated by oil central heating.

I don't know a whole lot about stoves, Am I asking for too much from it?

Looking for any advice or recommendations

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Quick question, the glass on stove has built up some black on it, what is the best thing to clean it off?

Manual says hob cleaner but tried that and didn't work....

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Quick question, the glass on stove has built up some black on it, what is the best thing to clean it off?

Thanks

Baby wipes and elbow grease.
    Failing that there is a special stove glass cleaner that can be got in diy or hardware shops. Spray it on when the glass is cold, leave a few minutes then wipe away.
    Some people recommend a cloth dipped into a little bit of ashes but i'd be afraid it might scratch the glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Newspaper dipped into water and then into the ash, works a treat. Spotless every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

use cif on a kitchen towel and plenty of elbow grease, wipe off with a damp kitchen towel, finish with a clean kitchen towel

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gunners111

no elbow grease required, just use a couple of sprays of HG stove glass cleaner its a little bit expensive but very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I had a Villager Athlone 6 inset stove fitted last year. And I have always had a smell from it. Initially I thought that it was the fireplace (wooden) which I replaced for granite. The smell only appears to be when it it going full tilt regardless of the type of fuel. The installer has been out and removed the rockwool which was placed around it , while the smell seems to have calmed down it has not gone. The other concern I have it the mantel get quite hot, I have measured it at 60 -80 'c. Has anyone had any experience like these. Note the smell it not a smoke smell but an acrid ,plastic sort of smell that does not set off the CO alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Thanks

Stovax Glass Cleaner Spray and VERY fine steel wool. Won't stratch the glass at all but will lift any residue off the glass without much effort at all.

Considering a Bilberry insert stove. (link: This one)

Any views or experience with it ?

Considering the same one myself but am a bit weary as its only 3.7kw. I do like the larger glass front.

I'm also considering the firewarm insert (4kw) and the boru croi beg (4.8kw). All 3 would just slot into the existing opening.

Any opinions on all three would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

cocoman wrote: »
    Considering the same one myself but am a bit weary as its only 3.7kw. I do like the larger glass front.

I'm also considering the firewarm insert (4kw) and the boru croi beg (4.8kw). All 3 would just slot into the existing opening.

Any opinions on all three would be welcome.

Hi,

Based on what you're looking at, would you not consider a Henley Apollo, it's 5kw and similar in design to the Bilberry you're looking at but much better heat.

Hi,

Based on what you're looking at, would you not consider a Henley Apollo, it's 5kw and similar in design to the Bilberry you're looking at but much better heat.

The Henley Apollo looks to be a good stove alright but it's a fair bit more expensive.
    Cheapest I can find is €595.
    One to be considered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Thanks

If you are burning ONLY firewood, then just dampen/wet a sheet of newspaper, dab in the ash and then clean glass... usually will take a few dabs to clean glass.
    This only works if you are burning ONLY firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Hi,

Question, if I may... thinking about buying an inset boiler on a budget and found a cheap one, only problem is the rating is 21w and I only really need 8/10w (3/4 rads).

Will this have any effect if I put in the higher rated stove? i.e burn more fuel to get the heat?

TIA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 kingjp1st

I've done a bit more research and I believe that Kratki and Hestia have insert stoves that maybe big enough for my requirements.

Has anyone had experience with these brands???

kingjp1st wrote: »
    Hi,

We are building on an extension at the rear of our property, creating an L shaped open planned Kitchen/dining room and living room. The stove will be situated in the new extended part.

The new extension will be approximately 4.725m (l) x 4.715m (w) x 2.7m (h). I'm looking for recommendations as to an inset multifuel stove that would heat this room and the adjoining Kitchen/Dining room which is approximately 5m x 6m.

We are also planning on inserting a back boiler to help heat 10 radiators in the house which are currently heated by oil central heating.

I don't know a whole lot about stoves, Am I asking for too much from it?

Looking for any advice or recommendations

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭beatle

Hi,
    I posted a while ago as I was not getting any heat from my Hunter Herald stove (room heater only, not connected to rads or back boiler).
    After a few weeks looking for a stove fitter, I found one who has solved my problem.
    When the stove was installed originally, no flue was installed so all the heat was used up to heat up the chimney.
    A flue is now installed and insulated and the stove is finally throwing the heat into the room, rather than up the chimney. It was an easy (but costly) solution and I'm delighted it worked out.

Just thought I'd share that here as it may help someone else experiencing a similar problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

beatle wrote: »
    Hi,
    I posted a while ago as I was not getting any heat from my Hunter Herald stove (room heater only, not connected to rads or back boiler).
    After a few weeks looking for a stove fitter, I found one who has solved my problem.
    When the stove was installed originally, no flue was installed so all the heat was used up to heat up the chimney.
    A flue is now installed and insulated and the stove is finally throwing the heat into the room, rather than up the chimney. It was an easy (but costly) solution and I'm delighted it worked out.

Just thought I'd share that here as it may help someone else experiencing a similar problem.

Was it a lot more costly than off it'd been done first day ?
    Does lining always make a huge difference ? (I've a 9inch clay pot chimney and am thrilled with the stove but would consider sticking in a 5inch SS flue for the few hundred it'd cost if I thought it'd make much difference-

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ard Mhacha

Hey Everyone, newbie here, firstly I have to say I have really enjoyed reading through the posts, some fantastic advice supplied in relation to stoves, here is my story

Just purchased my first home during the summer, I have already changed my OFCH boiler to a more efficient Grant condensing boiler, great job working really well, and saving me a few quid in oil as the old one was drinking the oil for not very much heat.

I am planning to put in a boiler stove, the Henley Achill 17KW inset, I have just finished insulating my loft 300mm deep and am booked in for cavity walls later on this month,

my question is, my grant oil boiler is currently set up to produce 18.2KW of heat as per the nozzle size, it is currently heating the house no problem with the thermostat set just below the half way point,

Will my proposed new boiler stove which is 17KW be sufficient to do the task at hand or should I go for the larger 21KW version, I am intending to fit a flexi flue high grade and all works will be carried out by a professional installer, the house is approx. 95m2 semi, three bedrooms, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, many thanks for reading,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

im no expert but you would be better to be over than under or you will be forever putting fuel on with the smaller firebox.

Also you need to work out output you need cos chances are your oil boiler is rated above what you actually need youre stove installer should be able to tell you what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

im no expert but you would be better to be over than under or you will be forever putting fuel on with the smaller firebox.

Also you need to work out output you need cos chances are your oil boiler is rated above what you actually need youre stove installer should be able to tell you what you need.

If the oil boiler installer was any good then he would have slightly undersized the new condensing boiler. Gone are the days of putting it an oversized boiler. Condensing boilers work better when they chase the heat

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    If the oil boiler installer was any good then he would have slightly undersized the new condensing boiler. Gone are the days of putting it an oversized boiler. Condensing boilers work better when they chase the heat

Dpt, so what your saying is that even though the oil boiler is producing over 18kw straight to the water, the 17kw stove should still be ample even though it breaks down as 13kw to the water, and 3-4.5 kW to the room nominal 3/3.5? Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ard Mhacha wrote: »
    Dpt, so what your saying is that even though the oil boiler is producing over 18kw straight to the water, the 17kw stove should still be ample even though it breaks down as 13kw to the water, and 3-4.5 kW to the room nominal 3/3.5? Thanks for the reply

Using a stove is the most expensive way to heat a house unless you have acess to cheap fuel. If your stove gives 13kw to water then your gonna need a big constant (expensive) fire going. It'll probably warm all the rads for you

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Using a stove is the most expensive way to heat a house unless you have acess to cheap fuel. If your stove gives 13kw to water then your gonna need a big constant (expensive) fire going. It'll probably warm all the rads for you

Thanks for the reply, I would have a reasonable quantity of turf per year, so although I will have to purchase some stove fuel ( coal / Kiln dried logs ) it would be the constant heat and hot water I am striving for, as my wife and I are expecting our first child soon, the house will be occupied almost all the time, Thanks again for your advice,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks

We have a clearview wood burning stove,

I turn both dampers on hgh and get the wood blazing, it burns the black off.

I used to always try to clean it, but my brother had a similar stove and never has to clean it. Now I don't bother, just crank up the fire for a minute or 2

Advertisement