Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Robbie.G wrote: »
    It's very hard to say but from what I've seen it's not completely right.
    Ok.. appreciated again Robbie. I am going to have another guy (expert) come out and that a look - Im feeling very uneasy that the job was not done properly / to regs.

Just know this is going to cost more money :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

cowhands wrote: »
    Ok.. appreciated again Robbie. I am going to have another guy (expert) come out and that a look - Im feeling very uneasy that the job was not done properly / to regs.

Just know this is going to cost more money :(

It will be no comfort to you, but most of the installs around here are not done to spec. I think proper installations are the exception rather than the rule. Was going to do a course on installing them, but I would not have gotten work with having to compete with the handymen and builders who have being doing them their way for years.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Wearb wrote: »
    It will be no comfort to you, but most of the installs around here are not done to spec. I think proper installations are the exception rather than the rule. Was going to do a course on installing them, but I would not have gotten work with having to compete with the handymen and builders who have being doing them their way for years.

That's the problem I have all most people care about is price unfortunately in most cases customers are advised incorrectly and don't know any better.At the moment I'm mainly working for local authorities as they want things done right and to standards and building regs.Maybe someday things will change from the normal individual

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Robbie.G wrote: »
    That's the problem I have all most people care about is price unfortunately in most cases customers are advised incorrectly and don't know any better.At the moment I'm mainly working for local authorities as they want things done right and to standards and building regs.Maybe someday things will change from the normal individual

This is exactly what seems to have happened in my case - we tried to find out a bit about stoves before the build , but every where we went had different opinions and advise as to what would be the best set up/best choice. We trusted the builder and his men that they(he) knew what he was doing. We wanted the job done correctly and it looks like its not. Don't know where I stand now and how to fix it either

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

great thread. thanks to all knowledgeable contributors!

i have a question about my fireplace construction. fireplace is built into a... stack of bricks. about 40cm deep, 130cm wide and 180cm high. behind this stack, is the chimney stack.

the house is about 100 years old, bit more maybe. this room would have originally been the kitchen. my theory is that there would have been a stove / range connected with a flue pipe to the clay flue in the chimney, and this was removed, and in the 60s, an open fireplace with back boiler were added, and this brick stack was built to house that new setup. the actual chimney stack goes up behind this, as said, on the other side of the stairs.

second pic (i know it's really in need of a clean in this pic) shows the clay flue. best pic i could get with a lamp and camera held up the chimney.. there's a big open space above the fireplace / back boiler, those bricks visible in the pic are the back wall of this space / front of actual chimney stack. the flue is quite high up, it would be at the top left of the brick stack in the first pic.

long winded, but my question here is.. is it possible to remove the fireplace and all that brick stack, and have a free standing stove with a flue pipe that runs up vertically to meet with the original flue? (obviously flexi lined, proper hearth etc...)

please try to look past all chaotic stuff in the pic!

thanks if anyone can advise.

http ://i.imgur.com/M43PVx9.jpg

http ://i.imgur.com/Z1Mu7xQ.jpg

edit: can't post links yet so had to change them a bit.. sorry..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Oriel Training Academy who offer Hetas Training seem to be making progress in Ireland-Maybe you could look here for a trained Installer.

https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?msid=202026052274911030347.0004d3de4737ab6b6ff29&msa=0&dg=feature

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Is it advisable to put inset boiler stove in replace of open fire and use multi energy tank , as we have gas boiler radiator aswell. And for 4 double radiator and 3 single radiator which inset boiler stove is good
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Only Hetas qualified fitters should be allowed to fit stoves!
    I would encourage everyone to ask their fitter for their Hetas cert and if they don't have one just walk away and find someone who does.
    You and your families live are not worth putting at risk!
    I'm sorry but this crack of a builder,a handyman or even a plumber fitting a stove is pure madness.

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Only Hetas qualified fitters should be allowed to fit stoves!
    I would encourage everyone to ask their fitter for their Hetas cert and if they don't have one just walk away and find someone who does.
    You and your families live are not worth putting at risk!
    I'm sorry but this crack of a builder,a handyman or even a plumber fitting a stove is pure madness.

I don't nesasarily agree personally I'm hetas trained and I honestly don't think it means diddly as very few people know anything about it sure you can't even register with hetas as they are not recognised in Ireland.
    What I would like to see is stoves fitted correctly to building regs anyone can read the regs and work to them.Things will not change here until **** happens and people are
    Injured or worse

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

only plumblers should be allowed fit stoves

- no " off " switch if it gets carried away with itself,
    - CO
    - sane hot tank options etc

• Advertisement

Hetas or a Hetas type training system is the only way that it can ever be regulated going forward.
    You would like people to follow building regs? If you had the power how would you make them considering we have little or no ability to inspect every stove fit in the country.
    Answer-A course for fitting stoves to Irish building regs.
    Get the powers that be to discuss an Irish Hetas course to building regs and let them do the rest.
    Then make it illegal to fit a stove without the cert.
    It's the quickest and most cost efficent solution.

I'd disagree gctest. There are obviously a lot of competent plumbers out there but believe me there are a lot of incompetent ones also.What about a 60yr old plumber who hasn't up skilled his knowledge through a course in 30 years?
    If I told you I met a plumber last week who thought a boiler on a stove was leaking,turned out to be moisture/creosote build up in a chimney which flowed down the chimney when the stove got hot.
    What if I told you I know a guy who fitted countless insert stoves and attached flexi flue straight to the stove until he was told not to do it.
    Believe me I could go on.
    Saying that any tradesman is suitable to fit a stove is too broad.
    The only people qualified are those who have done a course to do so in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Thanks Sanchez, I went to ryans today, had a good look, mr ryan himself is supposed to come out for an inspection this week coming.
    Then to livingstone but never got to speak to anyone as the one sales rep was tied up so I left and went to Pa Carey (heard of him?) small place out the county.
    I was impressed by all accounts.
    Went through some options with Pa, and whittled it down to a henley insert (5kw or 6kw, I can't recall) and priced at €650 or a boru standalone 4kw (didn't catch make) which would go half into the hearth but nicely come out onto the front of fire area and this was about €550 if I recall correctly.
    They don't include fitting which he described would go one of two ways. One is the metal joints that go off the back of stove up to existing chimney or second (more expensive) would need the 10 metre metal flue up the chimney, packed with some material etc for insulation. These options depended on the existing chimney in our 1972 house
    Mind boggling but he is also going to come to house this week to investigate what is required.
    I told both that the budget was about €1000 all in but that I wasn't up for avoiding bad news if I needed that flue line up the chimney so lets get it done right.

Any thoughts on that?

Would you believe that neither of these companies contacted me this week?
    I am going to go to livingstone tomorrow and ask them to come asap.

The room it is going in will be occupied this winter but nxt year, an extension should be up and this room will have infrequent use, certainly not going to be the main living room.
    Is there a handy insert or standalone I should choose in those circumstances?
    I was supposed to have visits this week from the above two companies to assess but nothing...

Hi Irishproduce,

To be fair every stove shop in the country is now overrun with work from this week as Irish people always leave everything until last minute :p
    The best time to buy and install a stove is the summer.
    Ring them again and I'm sure they will fit you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Hi

I was wondering does anyone have reviews about heat design stoves

http://heatdesign.ie/

I was looking at this insert stove

http://heatdesign.ie/arched-insert#.VAHocNddVbI

I was quoted 1150 for the arched stove or 950 for the square one supplied and fitted, My chimney is in poor shape so i will also need a flexible flue liner fitted at a cost of 6-700 euro , How do these prices sound ??

From reading this thread the supplier/fitter has been giving me all the right information re the fitting, Just wondering are they a good stove and prices?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Hi Dayo,
    It's an ok stove and ok price including fitting.
    But to be honest I think you could get a higher quality stove fitted for those prices.
    A Henley Achill 6.6 or an Apollo 5kw would cost around e850 and e699 plus fitting.
    There probably isn't a better brand for price and quality.
    There are cheaper stoves where the quality isn't great and there are more expensive stoves of great quality but you are getting great bang for your buck with those 2.

Thanks for the reply , Just another question re the Kw output,
    the guy in shop was saying we shouldnt install over 4KW because of the distance between the stove and the timber mantle piece it would be less than a foot just looking at it. Is this correct ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 3frog

3frog wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the Joule 5 stove.
    What are people's experiences?
    How does it compare to other small freestanding multi fuel stoves available in Ireland?
    Thanks for your time,

Frog.
    Ok so I'm bumping my little post. Has anyone anything to say about the Joule 5 stove?
    All I can find are blurb specs from marketing sites. No comments anywhere like It smokes a lot or it's got a really good firebox design or it's a wast if space or anything else in the middle!!
    There is one on sale, reduced by €75 from €349 so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth outlay. I might try a smaller but good quality stove if I could figure out one from another.

Hi Irishproduce,

To be fair every stove shop in the country is now overrun with work from this week as Irish people always leave everything until last minute :p
    The best time to buy and install a stove is the summer.
    Ring them again and I'm sure they will fit you in.

Thanks Sanchez,

I just went into livingstone today altogether.
    Bought henley apollo, with 10m flue, insulation and vermiculite, installation.
    Basically turnkey, and he agreed €1300. Paid deposit, installation is end next week.

That's a grand deal isn't it. Our room is only small and it is only to fit that room with most use this year. Will have infrequent use after this winter

Hi 3Frog,

The Joule 5 is a common copy Chinese stove that Woodies bring direct to the best of my knowledge.
    There are a lot of companies doing a similar product.How long is the warranty?
    It's a basic enough stove and should do the job.
    But there are a lot of better stoves out there if you are willing to spend a few extra quid.
    If e379 is your budget and you get a 3/5 yr warranty it should be fine.

Hi Irish produce.

You saved approx e100/150 I reckon so it's a decent price.
    More importantly you are getting it done from start to finish by the same guys meaning you will always have a back up service.
    Let us know how you get on with it.
    Good luck

• Advertisement

I will post back so others can read about experience.
    Thanks Sanchez!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Looking to put up a twin wall flue on a external wall of my house. Can anyone recommend the best brand on the market, thanks !!!

Looking to put up a twin wall flue on a external wall of my house. Can anyone recommend the best brand on the market, thanks !!!

Your looking at either Oriel Flues or MI Flues both are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I contacted the local builders providers today and they supply two brands of twin wall" negarra" and "hamco"
    Anybody know if their any good ?

Hamco are good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

So I am making some progress with my stove project. Old fireplace, including mantle, hearth, firebrick and surround is gone. I've ordered my new hearth and decided on the Oisin stove that will sit into my opening. I won't be putting in any mantle or surround. A recommended installer called out today to spec the job, and recommended that I finish the chimney breast and hole (currently exposed blocks) with a plaster mix of sand, cement and lime and paint with a heat resistant paint. Just wondering if this sounds ok to you guys and also wondering if i have much choice in colors of heat resistant paint?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Hi,

We are putting in a stove in the livingroom downstars.
    We also have a large undeveloped attic that we plan to upgrade at some point.
    Rather than just putting in a dry stove, could we put in a boiler stove now, and just enough pipework to reach upstairs. Then when we do get around to upstairs, we could connect rads to the boiler stove without disturbing downstairs?
    The ground floor is geothermal UFH, so I would not plan on touching that.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Raffo1892

Apologies to hijack a thread here somewhat, I'm wondering does anyone know of any second hand/recondition insert stoves around?
    I'm in a rental property, about 17 yrs old and tired of every bit of heat getting drawn out the chimney in winter, plus wastage of fuel. As it's a rental I literally just am looking for an insert to slide in place with minimum of fuss, easy to remove to. Any flue lining would be done as needed.

Any info welcome, again apologies if this is the wrong section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I bought a firebird insert boiler stove-16"- I am installing it in a fireplace that is 20" wide, How wide do I have to open the fireplace so the plumber can attach the pipes etc to the stove? He told me he needs about 30 Inches wide, seems an awful lot, but I've never seen it being done so I don't know.....I will be closing it in after using fireproof sheetrock and fireproof paint...etc, as I want it to sit in the fireplace without a hearth or anything.....thanks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 peter rabbit

Hi

I want to get a free standing stove for our kitchen/living room extention. There is no chimney and the room is single storey with a flat roof. The stove will be placed on the side wall approx 2 metres from the original house exerior wall.

I have gone to two companies for quotes and they have given me two ways to deal with the exterior flue.

Option one, flue must be secured to second floor exterior wall of house. This will result in the flue coming out of flat roof, then a bend, over to house wall, another bend and flue up to roof level. But flue secured to exterior of house at 2nd floor level

Option two. Flue comes out of flat roof to a height of 1.5 metres. This flue is not secured to anything .

My main worry is that with option two the flue will sway with high winds and possibly cause damage

My worry with option two is the two bends in the flue which I have been told is not good for "draw"
    Any advise would be great as this all is double dutch to me

Tks

Advertisement