Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Prices vary a bit on the stoves but it's the associated costs like piping etc that are the real unknowns until the fitter does an assessment.
    The size of the stove you need will also dictate price.
    6kw would be around the norm so you are talking anything from e800-1100 for the stove alone.
    If you let me know what county you are in I may be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I'm in Limerick.

I was going to go with 4kw to be honest, the room is quite small and oil heaters all over the house.
    I am going to ryans and livingstone tomorrow, appreciate any pointers, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

After much deliberation and driving myself crazy a few years ago, I finally purchased a Nestor Martin H 30 (I think)abt 7\Kw very expensive, but I was fortunate to get one that had been on display for 2 years and so got it for 50% of the actual price. I really hated it at first, I had a book full of very explicit instructions, and half way through I usually lit it my way, which did not really work to full capacity. Then after a year or so of frustration, I decided on eday to follow the instructions to the letter and is now very successful. The wood must be absolutely dry, that was also a mistake of mine. When I burn anthricite coal I can hardly stay in the room. Even in very cold weather half a small bucket will do for the evening and night.
    I have never managed to keep it in at night with the coal, but there still will be a spark in the morning if using wood. Its terribly easy to start off then in the morning, a few minutes and all systems go. It does not heat the water. It is a beautiful piece, very well crafted and made in Belgium.
    however, I am not sure that is worth the full price approx Eu 1800.

Nestor Martin have closed down.
    You got ripped off!

Irishproduce-
    2 shops that know their stuff to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I am looking to get an insert stove into my house, something like the Henley Apollo and I had a person come to the house to have a look for me to see if it would be suitable and they said the fire surround has no gaps to expand or something in it so I could NOT install an insert stove!

The fireplace, surround and mantel piece are all solid and from the same material which is maybe marble?

There is a gas fire in there at the moment and it is useless so I wanted to get a tidy non boiler 5KW insert stove in its place.

Anyone know of any options to proceed with the insert stove without having to rip out the whole fireplace and surround basically?

Thanks Sanchez, I went to ryans today, had a good look, mr ryan himself is supposed to come out for an inspection this week coming.
    Then to livingstone but never got to speak to anyone as the one sales rep was tied up so I left and went to Pa Carey (heard of him?) small place out the county.
    I was impressed by all accounts.
    Went through some options with Pa, and whittled it down to a henley insert (5kw or 6kw, I can't recall) and priced at €650 or a boru standalone 4kw (didn't catch make) which would go half into the hearth but nicely come out onto the front of fire area and this was about €550 if I recall correctly.
    They don't include fitting which he described would go one of two ways. One is the metal joints that go off the back of stove up to existing chimney or second (more expensive) would need the 10 metre metal flue up the chimney, packed with some material etc for insulation. These options depended on the existing chimney in our 1972 house
    Mind boggling but he is also going to come to house this week to investigate what is required.
    I told both that the budget was about €1000 all in but that I wasn't up for avoiding bad news if I needed that flue line up the chimney so lets get it done right.

Any thoughts on that?

Yep Pa is a good guy too.
    He does great deals for packages on the 2 stoves you mentioned and knows his stuff.
    Ryan's are excellent too though.
    I'd imagine with your house being 1972 you will need your chimney lined especially with the inserts as they give off savage heat.
    4kw may not be big enough for you so price Borus larger version 5/6 kW.

Could you post a picture Reni 10?

Thanks Sanchez!

• Advertisement

Here are a couple of pics of the Fireplace I am talking about...

Please let me know if an insert stove or cassette or whatever could be put into this?

Hi Reni,

You have 3 sections to your fireplace-
    The Surround
    The Hearth(The base)
    The Insert(the panel the stove fits into)

Everything is made from granite.
    The problem is the hearth and insert.
    These are designed for a gas fire as they are.

What your fitter is trying to say is that the heat from the stove might crack your hearth and insert as it is not heat jointed.They will expand from the heat and possibly crack.

You would be taking a chance otherwise which wouldn't be advised.
    You will have to have your hearth and insert heat jointed.

Thanks for the reply Sanchez, do you know how I could get the hearth and insert Heat Jointed and approx how much would it cost?

You would have to take the fireplace down and hope the hearth and insert come out in one piece.
    Most fireplace shops would be able to heat joint them for you.
    Cost is hard to say,I'd say a minimum of e200-e300.
    You would buy them new already heat jointed for around e300-e350.
    Does the shop you are buying the stove in do fireplaces?

The shop only seems to sell Stoves so not sure about fireplaces...

Would you get a new granite one that looks the same as the one in there for about e300 do you reckon that has the expansion joints in it?

I'd say you should get a new heat jointed hearth and insert for around e300-e350.
    Where abouts are you and I might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Entonces

ive been reading through the excellent posts on here and im lookin for some help also
    i am at my wits end with researching stoves i had decided on a carraig mor 20 kw but warned off it by a plumber today

i am looking for a stove to heat 14 rads and an open plan kitchen/dining/sun room area of 50 sq metres
    there is a double rad at one end of the room(sitting room) and a single rad at the other (sun room)

i have oil central heating which i dont mind using to do some of the heating work in the house
    im basically trying to harness some of the free heat from burning my free timber supply combined with some stove fuel, and heat the living area at the same time

my research had led me to the carraig mor 20kw but today ive been reliably informed that the heat output to room is poor from this model

so im wondering can anyone advise me where to go now. i want the living space to be warm but i dont want to have to constantly pump fuel into the stove and lose the heat to the rads. can anyone recommend a boiler stove with a better output to room thats not over 20kw total output

any other advise greatly appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Nestor Martin have closed down.
    You got ripped off!

Hi Sanchez, how do you make out that I got ripped off. this will be my third winter to use this stove, and after initial teething problems, my own fault, it is a great stove (thus far). the price I paid for it was half the price of a new one. It was only used as a display model for less than 2 years.
    I am wondering however about getting spare parts if and when I need them. But their english distributors and their Irish ones are very good and most helpful.
    So perhaps there will be spare parts around for some time to come. Thanks for the warning.

Hi Entonces,

The Carrig Mor is 4kw to the room which would probably be a little low for that size of an area.
    Did the plumber do BTU calculations?
    Are you counting your rads as singles?

I would estimate you would need 16kw to the water and 6kw to the room.
    That will probably mean you would have to go with a 25kw as I don't think there are many 22kws on the market .

My apologies Guiness queen,I read your post wrong.
    I tought you said you had only just purchased it.
    So I tought the shop were conning you by getting rid of a discontinued brand.
    They are closed down but I have no idea about spares.
    I'm sure some company will start manufacturing the spares as there are 100s of thousands of homes around the world with those stoves.

• Advertisement

I am in the Waterford area Sanchez.

Do you think there are any other options for the fireplace I have that would look alright like a free standing oisin stove or something like that pushed right back into the fireplace?

Would you need the expansion gaps for something like that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rackle

Hi
    Does anyone have any experience of the Boru Carraig Mor 20KW boiler stove?
    We have a 3 bed semi, with existing oil CH, also need to heat 11 rads.. Is it efficient and reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for a recommendation for a room heater stove of approx. 10 - 12kw to heat a large open plan kitchen and living room.

Ideally it should have a decent sized firebox and opening for large timber logs.

Thanks.

Anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone????

If you can afford it, charnwood

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Entonces

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Hi Entonces,

The Carrig Mor is 4kw to the room which would probably be a little low for that size of an area.
    Did the plumber do BTU calculations?
    Are you counting your rads as singles?

I would estimate you would need 16kw to the water and 6kw to the room.
    That will probably mean you would have to go with a 25kw as I don't think there are many 22kws on the market .

thanks sanchez i was hoping you would reply

on line calculator tells me 22,475 BTU/hour required for the room
    all rads accounted for at 15 (forgot one last time)

would 4 kw be enough with a double rad at one side of the room and a single rad at other side? i really dont want the room to be cold after doing so much work on it. however i also dont want to be burning large amounts of fuel to heat the room and losing this heat to the water heating the rest of the house.
    any suggestions welcome ?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

Hi. Was wondering does anyone have a review on Dimplex Westcott 12kw solid fuel stove. Are they manufactured in ire/ uk... Are they a solid stove?
    Am thinking about buying .

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Any one heard of Mazona Stoves. I'm looking at the Cairo version so would like any comments of same before I commit to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

Hi Entonces,

THe Boru will only give around 4kw to the room and that's when you've got the stove really going. You'd be better off going for the Inis Meain MK2 boiler stove. Will heat up to 16 rads and give around 8kw to the room.
    If heat the the room is your main concern, then the Inis one is your best bet.Check them at www(dot)InisStoves(dot)ie (Don't mix them up with Irish Isle Stoves).
    Entonces wrote: »
    ive been reading through the excellent posts on here and im lookin for some help also
    i am at my wits end with researching stoves i had decided on a carraig mor 20 kw but warned off it by a plumber today

i am looking for a stove to heat 14 rads and an open plan kitchen/dining/sun room area of 50 sq metres
    there is a double rad at one end of the room(sitting room) and a single rad at the other (sun room)

i have oil central heating which i dont mind using to do some of the heating work in the house
    im basically trying to harness some of the free heat from burning my free timber supply combined with some stove fuel, and heat the living area at the same time

my research had led me to the carraig mor 20kw but today ive been reliably informed that the heat output to room is poor from this model

so im wondering can anyone advise me where to go now. i want the living space to be warm but i dont want to have to constantly pump fuel into the stove and lose the heat to the rads. can anyone recommend a boiler stove with a better output to room thats not over 20kw total output

any other advise greatly appreciated?

For 11 Rads you'd be fine with the Boru 20kw, (assuming 11 rads are 4ft singles). Will give 4kw to the room so if room its going into is around 12x12 or therabouts you'd be ok.
    Rackle wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone have any experience of the Boru Carraig Mor 20KW boiler stove?
    We have a 3 bed semi, with existing oil CH, also need to heat 11 rads.. Is it efficient and reliable?

• Advertisement

Hi Sarah.

I'd recommend the Henley Druid 12kw or the Dimplex Westcott 12. Both give 12kw, and are reasonably priced around the 700-800 mark.

Both freestanding with flue exits on top/rear.

Druid is Steel built and one door.
    Westcott is Cast built and has two doors.

IMO I like the Druid a little better but thats just my opinion.
    Anyone????

Advertisement