Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It would be cool if they released 1 & 2 in a collection before this but that's probably not going to happen. Still, I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

What's with this dialogue? In the other two games Max always used to describe things brilliantly with all that Noir style n' such. Now it's "I'm here. Someone kidnapped. Gotta kill n' stuff." :l

I don't mind them making it look as though he has let himself go, it makes sense given that he lost EVERYONE... this is what would happen to any mortal... but damn could they have made it in ANY way original? God damn John Mclane/Sam Fisher look going on... we've seen enough of that for one lifetime.

Keeping Max' voice actor... that's the thing that's really saving this. If I heard anyone but James McCaffrey voicing this questionable looking Max Payne sequel I probably would've said f*ck this instantly... but I think there's hope. Still though, a shooter game? Kinda hard to keep me interested in this kind of mindless shooting anymore. I've been bored with it since the end of the PS2 era. They gotta make something really cool about this game in terms of gameplay for me to be remotely interested in getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

This looks like absolute bull****.
    Aside from the nods to previous MP games, it could jsut as well have been an ad for the new GTA or something. Bald guy in the desert kills people with rags on their heads etc etc. Sam Lake would be spinning in his grave, if he were dead.
    That writing was abysmal too. MP2 had awesome, tongue in cheek noir pastiche dialogue. This is just crap.

edit

I can see them take away the comic book feel, the dark twisted story will step aside for a drug gansta POW POW!!! action movie instead , if i wanted to play a homless man with a drinking problem i would stick with condemned 2.
    Only thing that got got me excited bout that trailer was the music at the start.

this nails it pretty much. MP games had so much freaky stuff in them. I loved 'address unkown' in MP2, and there was a whole creepy side to the game with the ****ed up dreams and all. This is just looking like gangstas in brazil getting shot by a bald guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i agree , and each chapter had a witty cutscene but still he address each detail of the story in a dark tone.

this is one of the best dialogue in videogame history , max was a badass , i dont know who the new guy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

gizmo wrote: »
    I believe one of the Producers said there'll be some flashback missions to New York so we'll still get some old school Payne action in there too.
    And you just know that's going to be DLC.
    Liber8or wrote: »
    Ofcourse they shouldn't use the engine from Max Payne 1 + 2, but the GTA IV engine is so outdated now, and it will look even worse on PC.

Some guys released a mod for GTA4 recently that pushed the engine further that Rockstar did, and it makes the game look fantastic. Rockstar say they're using a modified version, so if they push it as far as it goes, it could look really great.
    GTA and Max Payne are in no way similar except for camera position - Third Person. Max Payne is a graphic novel animated, where the detail of words, atmosphere, mood, and the importance of depth of character is paramount making the game/novel both believable and relative to the gamer. GTA is a sand-box game for kids where they are told "Hey kids, go do what you want, the story isn't that important." GTA can not be compared to Max Payne. Simply can not. Except for the position of the camera, as I said.

Just because GTA was made with the same engine, doesn't mean that Max Payne has to be the exact same. I think it was the Unreal Engine 3 that was used for the likes of Arkham Asylum, Borderlands and Mortal Kombat. Game engines don't dictate the gameplay.
    Burgo wrote: »
    Not the only valid complaint to be fair, the fact Sam Lake isn't writing the script is a pretty fair complaint to make.
    In fairness, Sam Lake isn't a great writer and the dialogue and story for the previous games were fairly shocking. Granted, it'd be nice to have him on board to keep the same level of clichéd hammy-ness, but he's not necessary for MP3.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Never liked the first two, far too repetitive, other than laughing at how badly written they were so I'm all for a new direction. It worked for Red Dead.
    This is the way I see it (although, I did really enjoy the previous ones, mainly because they were repetative and badly written :D ). If it can keep itself in the same vein as the originals then I'll enjoy it. And adding something new to the mix will hopefully add to the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was never the biggest fan of Max Payne either - the gameplay was fun for around half an hour before it grew very repetitive. All it had going for it was the presentation and grim atmosphere (TBH, the writing never really impressed). This doesn't look all that inspiring from quick looks - just a formulaic man on a mission game. But I'm not abandoning hope. Rockstar for all their flaws have made some very interesting games, so curious to see what they ultimately churn out. Trailer, though, does little to sell it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I played the first one years ago. I was left mentally disturbed by those f*cked up dream sequences. May have been a bit young playing it :P I never played the second though. I must replay the first and then get through the second. I loved the original and would probably appreciate it more now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

this is one of the best dialogue in videogame history , max was a badass , i dont know who the new guy is.

Same guy its always been.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Hope this is not going to be as boring as L.A Snore and Gta IV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I can see it already... Instead of the melancholic dreams or twisted nightmares as Max Payne navigates a labyrinth of trails of blood, in the midst of the cries of a baby or his wife calling for help; we will have Brazilian kids playing football while Carnival season parades throughout the streets of Sao Paulo. Samba bands and drug lords inter-weaved into the plot as Denzel Washin.. I mean Max Payne searches for a girl taken by another family, in what could be construed as Grand Theft Auto: Sao Paulo (Now with less driving, but more bullet-time so we can make it last that extra couple of hours).

This is not Max Payne, and nobody can argue that the game needed to move in another direction; the originals were lauded for their unique style and storytelling. Fans loved the games and have been crying for another iteration of this down on his luck New York cop. Whoever said "change" was always for the good, anyway?

Don't we have enough of these games? Give me something dark, intriguing, decent script, and a unique style. I am tired of the next Call of Grand Theft Halo: Resistance Edition XV Super Exclusively Limited Edition + extra DLC and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Logic tells me this should be bad...logic is such a liar :cool:
    Don't we have enough of these games? Give me something dark, intriguing, decent script, and a unique style.
    I don't see how you can say that this won't be dark, intriguing/decently scripted, with a unique style from the very little footage we've seen so far. Half the trailer looked exactly like previous Max Payne games. The story telling of the previous games wasn't exactly brilliant. I loved it, but it was very cheesy. I've faith in Rockstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

melancholic dreams or twisted nightmares as Max Payne navigates a labyrinth of trails of blood, in the midst of the cries of a baby or his wife calling for help;

That was only in the first game; and as far as I'm concerned, it was the worst part of the entire Max Payne series!

That bloody "trail of blood" tightrope walk was atrocious!

Kiith wrote: »
    I've faith in Rockstar.

I really enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, apart from throwing in all sorts of crap to keep you entertained should you get bored by the story... :o But GTA IV was terrible, most over-rated game I have ever played in terms of Single-Player. Multiplayer was enjoyable though, they should have made it more multiplayer-centric in design.

So, I am cautiously hoping Rockstar won't fúck up the Max Payne franchise by making it into an image of the typical Rockstar game design- that is; Open world, lots of shít to do, should keep people happy. I do not want that. I want a gripping single player story full of atmosphere and a well written script. I don't want tutorials on how to teach Max Payne to gamble or establish his own drug empire...

So, I am cautiously hoping Rockstar won't fúck up the Max Payne franchise by making it into an image of the typical Rockstar game design- that is; Open world, lots of shít to do, should keep people happy. I do not want that. I want a gripping single player story full of atmosphere and a well written script. I don't want tutorials on how to teach Max Payne to gamble or establish his own drug empire...

http://kotaku.com/5840323/some-more-max-payne-3-facts-straight-from-rockstars-twitter
    "No, Max Payne 3 is not an open world game – we're staying true to Max's roots in atmosphere, story and gameplay design"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Kiith wrote: »
    Logic tells me this should be bad...logic is such a liar :cool:

I don't see how you can say that this won't be dark, intriguing/decently scripted, with a unique style from the very little footage we've seen so far. Half the trailer looked exactly like previous Max Payne games. The story telling of the previous games wasn't exactly brilliant. I loved it, but it was very cheesy. I've faith in Rockstar.

Exactly, people are flipping out over a small itty bitty trailer just because it showed bright sunny weather, watch the trailer again, and pay attention to max's voice, he actually doesnt say much at all, compared to the trailer to the 2nd one where hes talking for most of it.

So in short, the trailer has showed very little, so stop the hate until you see alot more in game play/story and have faith in the company that has released nothing but top notch games :pac:

http://kotaku.com/5840323/some-more-max-payne-3-facts-straight-from-rockstars-twitter

"No, Max Payne 3 is not an open world game – we're staying true to Max's roots in atmosphere, story and gameplay design"

The footage, albeit the small amount they have shown, doesn't match what is being said in the twitter comments. Max's roots in atmosphere was dark, melancholic, and slightly twisted (even his humour was somewhat morbid) - I can't see any of that in sunny Sao Paulo with predominantly daylight shots..(were there even any night shots?) Can't really comment on the storyline as it just seems to be Max Payne in Brazil for work, daughter of employer gets taken, Max to the rescue - although I assume it is a lot more intricate than that and there are plot twists and turns, possible conspiracy or connection with the drug industry and the Valkyr drug...

All I am saying is, the first trailer should be a strong message of continuance in style and design from Max Payne 1 + 2, and this game. This trailer did not have that for me. As I said before, turn off the sound, it could be any other game designed by Rockstar (most notably GTA). The music from MP2 and the voice-over are the only things that bare any resemblance to Max Payne and distinguish it from all other generic third-person shooters.

nix wrote: »
    have faith in the company that has released nothing but top notch games :pac:

I would like to share that sentiment, but they do not release "nothing but top notch games". GTA IV was very over-rated, it was tedious, slow, and only offered great dialogue amongst the characters and a decent multi-player which did not get enough treatment to make it a highlight of the game. Red Dead Redemption was a very good game, despite shoving in a load of pointless mini-games to kill time and make the game feel longer than it actually was. Once more, multi-player was good, and it received the attention it deserved unlike GTA IV, as I previously mentioned. However, is there multi-player in Max Payne 3? I hope not...

I won't comment on L.A Noire as I believe it was developed by Team Bondi and only published by Rockstar. Rockstar can be good when they want to be, specifically controversy and shoving a lot of "stuff" into a sandbox, but as they said themselves - this is not a sandbox game, so effectively (if they are be believed in their comments) how much experience and talent do they have at making a game they normally don't make?

I do agree with the story comments actually.

I thought that MP2 wrapped up the series nicely and this 3rd game wasn't necessary at all.

I also agree with the fact that some of it "looks" like GTA.
    I lament the loss of the graphic novel segments; only to be replaced with GTA's endless cutscenes. (albeit now with performance capture by Max's voice actor, James McCaffrey).

Still; I can only refer to the recent example of Human Revolution to demonstrate another developer taking over the reins; changing the format slightly and still paying homage to the series. And it worked a treat.

And Red Dead even had bullet time in it!

Confidence levels = 84%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

GTA IV was the same as all the other GTA's, so they delivered what all GTA fans wanted and expected. Frankly i never played GTA games for the story really so never gave a crap about it..

Frankly i found GTA4 better than all the other GTA's in terms of improvements to driving/shooting etc.. But yeah it was kinda boring, but thats only because there is very little you can do to GTA to make it alot better as you are given so much freedom anyway..

Max payne will be focusing on story and kickass shootouts and use of bullet time, which is what we want, im sure they will add in other cool things, i cant wait...

EDIT:
    I do agree with the story comments actually.

I thought that MP2 wrapped up the series nicely and this 3rd game wasn't necessary at all.

Exactly why the game is setting up a completely new story, a chance to set it in a different location too so it wont feel like an improved rehash of the previous 2. We all wanted another Max payne regardless of the story being finished, i did anyway. As the games being released these days are complete muck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    Frankly i found GTA4 better than all the other GTA's in terms of improvements to driving/shooting etc.. But yeah it was kinda boring, but thats only because there is very little you can do to GTA to make it alot better as you are given so much freedom anyway..

You were given less freedom, which was the problem. All the missions were scripted and reset the world when they started so they had to be completed in a set way with no room for improvisation, although san andreas had this problem as well. Also the variety in missions was severely lacking with everything revolving around driving somewhere and killing enemies when you get there. At least the variety improved in the dlc.

• Advertisement

At 1:00 is this a cheeky reference to the Hangover Part II by any chance. Bit of a Zach Galifianakis look to him there :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I like regenerating health. I dont get to play as many games as I used to when I was younger. I dont want to spend half my time searching for health packs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that article says no regenerating health...

cover based combat is ****ing depressing through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

that article says no regenerating health...

cover based combat is ****ing depressing through

Why the issue with cover based combat? I quite like it. Beats the **** out of just crouching behind scenery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Excited as f*ck for the Collector's Edition.

Linky winkle if it hasn't already been posted.

Searched gamestop.ie for it and they don't appear to have it yet.... I assume we will get it here though since a euro price is listed... I hope....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Excited as f*ck for the Collector's Edition.

Linky winkle if it hasn't already been posted.

Searched gamestop.ie for it and they don't appear to have it yet.... I assume we will get it here though since a euro price is listed... I hope....

Play.com have it for €125

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This is going to have multi-player? It seems like it's tacked on to everything these days. Max Payne isn't really a game that lends itself to multi-player, is it?

Advertisement