Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne 3

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

5uspect wrote: »
    Which is it? Is it deliberately different from design, or is it a bug? Could it be a technical issue on your side? V-sync has been known to cause input lag in games in the past.

Definitely something in the OP's end, I played both the prequels to death, & played through 3 recently enough. The differences between bullet time implementation to me were negligible, & nowhere near what I'd class as 'broken'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its not at my end, its the way its implemented in the game, bullet time in this is only good for 2-3 enemies max and they always get a chance to put a few bullets in you before you enter it, its just so slow and clunky compared to the first 2 which for me are the definition of slickness when it comes to 3rd person shooters. Id choose replaying MPII over playing III for the first time any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

they probably worried that if they included a four week hospital visit every time max got shot it would ruin the immersion

Yeah, I prefer popping painkillers instead of soaking up twenty bullets, the screen going red for 5 seconds and then hey presto, you're grand again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I have to admit that I rarely ever used bullet time in MP3 as it was next to useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mcgovern wrote: »
    I have to admit that I rarely ever used bullet time in MP3 as it was next to useless.

I used it much the same way I did as in MP1 & 2, which wasn't that often. Shootdodge would be more what I'd use

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Thargor wrote: »
    Its not at my end, its the way its implemented in the game, bullet time in this is only good for 2-3 enemies max and they always get a chance to put a few bullets in you before you enter it, its just so slow and clunky compared to the first 2 which for me are the definition of slickness when it comes to 3rd person shooters. Id choose replaying MPII over playing III for the first time any day.

The amount of bullet time you have depends on how you play. Stringing together a series of head shots will give you more for example (arcade mode shows you this in the on screen scoring). You'll see the bullet time bar refill as you pop heads.

As we've talked about above the game can be very satisfying when you find a way to empty a room with several well placed head shots in a single dive. That's why I think dual pistols are the best weapons in the game. This isn't a game that rewards spray and pray.

You seem to be mainly unhappy that the game is hard, and bullet time isn't simply a push to win button.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No Im not upset the game is hard, because the game is easy, why would you use bullet time when you dont need it? Its just another generic shooter now, its not integral to the game like the previous ones. I don't like how they've taken one of the most enjoyable shooters of all time with one of the best game mechanics ever and turned it into this boring generic thing that just plods along ramming the story down your throat with a pointless cutscene every time you approach a door, its not a good game anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Thargor wrote: »
    No Im not upset the game is hard, because the game is easy, why would you use bullet time when you dont need it? Its just another generic shooter now, its not integral to the game like the previous ones. I don't like how they've taken one of the most enjoyable shooters of all time with one of the best game mechanics ever and turned it into this boring generic thing that just plods along ramming the story down your throat with a pointless cutscene every time you approach a door, its not a good game anymore.

The first game was simply run and shoot, with bullet time thrown in should you need it. Cover mechanics were primitive too. My favourite part of the first game was the storyline and comic-book-style cutscenes

Complete MP3 on hardcore and tell me its easy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I started Max Payne 3 this morning and reached the beginning of chapter 3. My initial impression is that the only reason I will finish this game is to see the story. I like the direction of the cutscenes, helps that I'm a big fan of Tony Scott's films. When the cutscenes are over and you have to fight your way through a room has been the disappointing part so far. The game is slower than I expected. I might try some of the other targeting settings because right now it seems to auto-aim very aggressively.

Playing a little bit more of this today and the game is a buggy mess. A couple of times I've been in cover and I'm unable to exit cover. The only way I get out is after being flanked by an enemy. Then earlier after I died the game never restarted but I could still hear the music.

I've also seen an enemy float across the screen and then fall down dead before I'd even shot at him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

never noticed anything like that in my playthrough... weird.

never noticed anything like that in my playthrough... weird.

I'm playing on PS3. Not that that should explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm playing on PS3. Not that that should explain it.

It could explain it actually. Could well be PS3 version bugs, PS3 versions of games tend to get more bugs than PC or Xbox versions. Graphical artifacts in particular. Not always but in a good few cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I played through the PS3 version, didn't see that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

€12.50 on the Steam sale currently..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My initial impression is that the only reason I will finish this game is to see the story.
    I had to reinstall Max Payne 3, 3 times, I was almost through the game the first time I reinstalled it and just can't get back into the game since I know the majority of the story. I don't get any enjoyment from playing through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got this other day finished it in a day.

Wasnt impressed really, poor story and the normal 3rd person issue of shooting up close enemys. Losing my rifle during a cut scene and having to fumble for it when the cut scene finished really annoyed me.

Not really sure why its 27gb can only assume to deter pirates because it looks meh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Got this other day finished it in a day.

Wasnt impressed really, poor story and the normal 3rd person issue of shooting up close enemys. Losing my rifle during a cut scene and having to fumble for it when the cut scene finished really annoyed me.

Not really sure why its 27gb can only assume to deter pirates because it looks meh.

In fairness the high res texture work was top notch pretty well throughout the game and this along with the huge number of cutscene movies would account for most of the size.

But I'd have to agree as a whole the engine does fall well short of the best looking games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Maybe i've become a jaded old fart, maybe this game is actually ****e; whatever the reason MP3 is boring me to ****ing tears. Loved the first two when they came out and the mechanics seem pretty much identical to me so why is that I'm struggling to play more than 5 minutes at a time? Glad it only cost me less than 9 euro. Having the same problem with Crysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭scwazrh

MP3 is starting to get boring for me now but I have played it through a good 5 or 6 times since release date so that's probably why.There is a lot of bugs though . I've had levels start with sound and no picture , picture and no sound , freezing completely and when you have to restart the ps and sit through the long loading times again it does take away a lot of the enjoyment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bought this game yesterday evening after some advice from sheehy83 in the GTA forum and its now one of my favourite games! Its not perfect and I think mystic86 pointed out the few of the things that annoyed me but I loved the character, storyline and the action!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that's it
    you can complain all you want about the nuts and bolts

but for the character of max payne this game was perfect. he has grown up, he's been through the **** and now he's just sick of it all. as a game it was decent, as a max payne game it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I did think the police station dragged on a bit too long and even max says in-game that he starts to think he will never get out :D

Good challenge especially when dealing with beckers "2nd in command"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Bump!

Got this in the steam sale; have an issue on the flashback part where he meets Raul in NJ.

Go thru the wrecked building, Raul says "we have a way down to the street" then stands in the ****ing way and I can't get out onto the fire escape :(

No way around him. Can't seem to get to the fire escape before he does either.

Happen to anyone else? Workarounds?

kaimera wrote: »
    Bump!

Got this in the steam sale; have an issue on the flashback part where he meets Raul in NJ.

Go thru the wrecked building, Raul says "we have a way down to the street" then stands in the ****ing way and I can't get out onto the fire escape :(

No way around him. Can't seem to get to the fire escape before he does either.

Happen to anyone else? Workarounds?
    Not being smart, but what happens when you restart the checkpoint?

Happened every time I restarted at the recent checkpoint :(

Might restart level tonight and check.

kaimera wrote: »
    Happened every time I restarted at the recent checkpoint :(

Might restart level tonight and check.

This the steam version? Verify game cache and try again.

also see here;

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/958969-max-payne-3/62831234

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This the steam version? Verify game cache and try again.

also see here;

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/958969-max-payne-3/62831234
    Pro, that's the exact issue.

Will check later

Advertisement