Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Deignan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Appealing as it sounds, I think it would be wishful thinking that Sky could transform Deignan to the next Chris Froome.

For a start, he's older than Froome, and I don't think they're comparable riders to be honest. Deignan doesn't have the TT pedigree Froome has, so there's no way he could morph into a Grand Tour contender.

Yeah it sure is, he ain't got the tt pedigree of a froome, but if they sort him out health wise, something british cycling and team sky seem to have a great ability for there is potential for a series of stage wins and perhaps some day an old one two combination from dan and philip in a world champs, although this years course is ideal but perhaps too early

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Appealing as it sounds, I think it would be wishful thinking that Sky could transform Deignan to the next Chris Froome.

For a start, he's older than Froome, and I don't think they're comparable riders to be honest. Deignan doesn't have the TT pedigree Froome has, so there's no way he could morph into a Grand Tour contender.

Well considering Froome had no pedigree as anything before Vuelta 2011, I wouldn't describe it as wishful thinking to believe SKY might be capable of improving Deignan as a rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Well considering Froome had no pedigree as anything before Vuelta 2011,

Didn't he finish 2nd to Wiggin's in the national TT championships the year before?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

happytramp wrote: »
    Didn't he finish 2nd to Wiggin's in the national TT championships the year before?
    ... and 2nd in the "B" World Championships in 2007

What Sky have shown is an ability to take raw talent and turn it into world class. If Deignan has real ambitions and Sky believes he has the potential I can't imagine a better team to bring the best out of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Well considering Froome had no pedigree as anything before Vuelta 2011, I wouldn't describe it as wishful thinking to believe SKY might be capable of improving Deignan as a rider.
    he was selected to train at the UCI centre in Switzerland a while back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Froome was a strong time triallist long before the Vuelta of 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Let the haters hate, They can't be talked around, just look at the tour threads lol

Clearly our definitions of strong TT rider differ greatly then, I would count someone who finishes Top 10/15 regularly in TTs in stage races or Top 20 World Champs as a strong TT rider, outside of that is decent to average.

Regardless Philip Deignan has shown plenty of climbing ability from a young age so they should be able to do something with that ability. I would hate to see him turned into another SKYBOT though.

I would actually love to see Deignan at Garmin with Dan Martin but they don't seem interested.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Clearly our definitions of strong TT rider differ greatly then, I would count someone who finishes Top 10/15 regularly in TTs in stage races or Top 20 World Champs as a strong TT rider, outside of that is decent to average.

Froome was finishing in the top 20 in the World Championships as far back as 2009. Which I guess would make him a strong TT rider in your book.

Froome was finishing in the top 20 in the World Championships as far back as 2009. Which I guess would make him a strong TT rider in your book.

You must have missed the word "regularly".

• Advertisement

The more I think about a possible move to SKY, the less I like of the idea. If he goes to SKY he will be turned into another mountain domestique for the GTs. When exactly would he get a chance to shine for himself? If he had been at SKY this year, he would have been working for Wiggins/Uran at the Giro, Froome at the Tour and Henao at the Vuelta. Now Uran has left and Wiggins looks likely to leave but then I think Porte will step up to be a leader. I just don;t see where we would get the chances to shine as SKY don't seem to let their key mountain doms head up the road in breaks. Too many leaders to work for at SKY.

If anything Deignan has benefited this year from riding for a lower level team and I think a lower level PT team with less leaders would be a better choice for him though I don't know what other offers he has had. Thinking maybe Orica-Greenedge or Argos-Shimano here.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Solid ride in Utah, I make it out at 5th overall

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think he's 6th as Acevedo teleported out of nowhere due to cack coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I do find Sky's tactics to lack the panache one associates with cycling but in fairness they use tactics that are designed to win.
    Guess what, it works.

Of course if they sign PD it will be to take enormous pulls in the mountains - that is precisely where his strengths lay. I would wager that when he is not ill that be is at least as strong in that role as many of their current crop. If he goes to Sky and does well he will get chances.
    Best of luck to him with whomever he joins - but he number 1 priority should be to get to the bottom of what makes him so inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Philip Deignan (UnitedHealthcare) finished a very impressive 10th overall at the USA Pro Challenge (2.HC ranked 7-day stage race), 4'12" behind the winner Tejay Van Garderen (BMC). He finished ahead of riders like Michael Rogers (Saxo-Tinkoff), Andy Schleck (Radioshack), and Andrew Talanksy (Garmin-Sharp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

Philip Deignan to Sky next year .....some train pulling I suppose

But hope he gets to ride the Tour as I think that's an ambition of his

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Tour de France champion 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Good luck to him I hope it goes well. Strong Irish presence in Grand Tours next year hopefully.

Good luck to him I hope it goes well. Strong Irish presence in Grand Tours next year hopefully.

I'm sure he'll want to do the Giro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Deignan for the Giro or in support for porte

Philip Deignan to Sky next year .....some train pulling I suppose

But hope he gets to ride the Tour as I think that's an ambition of his

I think Deignan would like a chance at the Giro considering it visits Ireland. I don't think there is any way SKY will let him do both the Giro and Tour. Tough one Giro or Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

I think Deignan would like a chance at the Giro considering it visits Ireland. I don't think there is any way SKY will let him do both the Giro and Tour. Tough one Giro or Tour.

Bit of a problem for 3 top Irish riders next year...

Nico will be required to support Contador at Tour and he loves the Vuelta, his best GT and Giro is in Ireland ....??????

Mind you Tour stars in England so lots of Irish can see that in person

Nico will be required to support Contador at Tour and he loves the Vuelta, his best GT and Giro is in Ireland ....??????

I'm going to hazard a guess that due to his strong showing in this years Vuelta, his average showing at the tour and his potential marketing value to his team with the Giro starting in Ireland, he'll do the Giro, the Vuelta and give the tour a miss.

(not saying Roche was poor at the tour but Saxo have plenty of other riders who can preform in such a role)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-signs-for-team-sky

Cycling news reporting on Philip Deignan signing for sky. It's official it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Well, Deignan already won a stage of the Vuelta so if he's back on form, a return there would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Philip Deignan: Not intimidated by move to Team Sky

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/540280/philip-deignan-not-intimidated-by-move-to-team-sky.html
    "I'm absolutely delighted. It's a dream come true," he beamed today when the move was made official. As regards riding with the likes of the last two Tour de France winners, Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins, Deignan said he won't be intimidated if and when he's called on to support them next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Philip Deignan has been listed in the SKY team for the Tour of the Basque Country - the Vuelta al Pais Vasco (April 7-12)

He is riding with Peter Kennaugh (team leader), Ben Swift, Josh Edmondson, Vasil Kiryienka, Mikel Nieve, Danny Pate and Xabier Zandio.

I haven't checked but I expect this will be broadcast on Europsport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Yes its on Eurosport
    And I think Mikel Nieve is Sky leader .....he is from Basque country and a very good climber...it really is a climbers race

Contador , Quintana , Horner et al are all riding it...should be a good race

A little worried Nico not riding enough climbing races if preparing for Giro...think he should be in this race

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

MPFG wrote: »
    Yes its on Eurosport
    And I think Mikel Nieve is Sky leader .....he is from Basque country and a very good climber...it really is a climbers race

Contador , Quintana , Horner et al are all riding it...should be a good race

A little worried Nico not riding enough climbing races if preparing for Giro...think he should be in this race

It'd be nice to see ex-Euskaltel riders do well this year.

Advertisement