Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Deignan?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭riparooo

MPFG wrote: »
    Official TourDeBeauce: GC - Phil Deignan (2nd) !
    Just saw that - no no breakdown on the stage - but excellent ride to pull that out of the hat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

riparooo wrote: »
    Just saw that - no no breakdown on the stage - but excellent ride to pull that out of the hat
    He must have ridden a very good last stage ...he is a class rider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Junior wrote: »

Imagine the consternation and confused loyalties that will inspire in the boards faithful lol!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    Imagine the consternation and confused loyalties that will inspire in the boards faithful lol!
    It's all part of Sky's strategy to quell the unrest over here ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

With all the potential marginal gains does this mean he will become our second tour de France winner?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

He has the ability to be a Multiple GT stage winner anyways, perhaps a GT contender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Inquitus wrote: »

I honestly don't know what I'd do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Great step up and great move for him if it comes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

happytramp wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what I'd do :confused:

Camp out at corner 10 of l'Alpe and boo the bejaysus out of him. The rest of the year cheer him on.

Simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭topcat77

Philip Deignan of Letterkenny is roumered to be moving from UNITEDHEALTHCARE PRO CYCLING TEAM to SKY PROCYCLING. Don't know anything about the cyclist, anyone have any idea what style of rider he is and his future prospects?

http://www.cyclingfever.com/transfers.html

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Camp out at corner 10 of l'Alpe and boo the bejaysus out of him. The rest of the year cheer him on.

Simple

I'd like to think I wouldn't get into the whole Booing thing if I was there but I'd find it hard to cheer on the Sky boys alright. Who knows why, maybe it's because they seem like the kind of guys that would never make an amusing AC/DC inspired music video or crash a bus into a finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

He loves pineapple juice, obeys his SRM religiously, and his missus is not on twitter. A perfect fit.

topcat77 wrote: »
    Philip Deignan of Letterkenny is roumered to be moving from UNITEDHEALTHCARE PRO CYCLING TEAM to SKY PROCYCLING. Don't know anything about the cyclist, anyone have any idea what style of rider he is and his future prospects?

http://www.cyclingfever.com/transfers.html

He's good alright. Got a top 10 and a stage in the vuelta a few years ago. Third on a stage in Tour of California a couple of weeks ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Third on a stage in Tour of California a couple of weeks ago too.

Finished 9th on GC in the TOC - I'd have thought this is the more impressive result.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've merged this with the other Philip Deignan thread since the rumoured transfer was already being discussed there.

Finished 9th on GC in the TOC - I'd have thought this is the more impressive result.

Well it was his great performance on stage 2 that put him there, 3rd place overall I believe. It all went slightly downhill from there. But still a good result.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Great news for him if it comes off.

I'd be surprised if Sky are the only big team interested in him.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Would be fantastic if they signed him up. Really hoping it goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

A few years ago when Deignan was at RadioShack, he was featured in an article in CycleSport magazine talking about his power numbers, training etc. He talked about how he had worked for a time with the same coach as Jurgen Van den Broeck(multiple Top 10 finisher in GTs) and that in tests, his numbers were as good as the Belgian but he was unable to translate those numbers into performances on the road(unlike VDB). He had tried everything but kept ending up being frustrated.

Considering what SKY have done with Froome, then perhaps SKY are the team to turn Deignan's tests scores into results. After all, if you believe the SKY PR, Froome had amazing test numbers but did jack all for over 3 seasons.

Just a little context here as well, former UHC rider Rory Sutherland was dominant in US races as well for a number of years. He moved to Saxo Bank this season, how many times have you heard his name mentioned this season???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I'd like to think I wouldn't get into the whole Booing thing if I was there but I'd find it hard to cheer on the Sky boys alright. Who knows why, maybe it's because they seem like the kind of guys that would never make an amusing AC/DC inspired music video or crash a bus into a finish line.

But but but....... Mr Walsh says all Irish people boo the SKY team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

I am not sure he should join Sky...of course he would welcome an opportunity to be back in the pro tour and the monetary advantage/cycling opportunities that gives but at Sky he would have to ride in the train like an machine....not everyone can or wants to do this

Much prefer if he could ride with a team where he would have opportunities to go in breaks and do his on thing on occasion

Hopefully these team might offer

Garmin
    Lotto
    OGE
    BMC
    Saxobank

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

He has the ability to be a Multiple GT stage winner anyways, perhaps a GT contender

Hugely optimistic. I'd be bloody amazed if he were to become a GT contender. And even stage wins are tough to come by: ask Nico Roche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I think that this could hopefully be good for PD. He has the raw talent but has a very poor constitution and gets ill an awful lot. When he is not ill he is a powerful climber. In the Vuelta a few years back he decimated the peleton while pulling on a very very long climb for Carlos Sastre.
    In that regard he fits the Sky mold. If there is something wrong with his physiology they will have a better chance at finding it relative to amlost any other team.

Hopefully if it is tru he will not simply disappear like JTL.

Best of luck to him. Great to see him back in the big time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Agree with that alright. There's no doubting Deignan's innate talent. His problem appears to be staying free of illness and injury. When he does manage that, like in 2009 and this year, the results come.

Itziger wrote: »
    Hugely optimistic. I'd be bloody amazed if he were to become a GT contender. And even stage wins are tough to come by: ask Nico Roche.

Philip has more talent than Nicolas in my opinion, and a lot more stage winning ability. He can attack in a way nicolas just can't

ROK ON wrote: »
    I think that this could hopefully be good for PD. He has the raw talent but has a very poor constitution and gets ill an awful lot. When he is not ill he is a powerful climber. In the Vuelta a few years back he decimated the peleton while pulling on a very very long climb for Carlos Sastre.
    In that regard he fits the Sky mold. If there is something wrong with his physiology they will have a better chance at finding it relative to amlost any other team.

Hopefully if it is tru he will not simply disappear like JTL.

Best of luck to him. Great to see him back in the big time.

One could say an early career like chris Froome

One could say an early career like chris Froome

Appealing as it sounds, I think it would be wishful thinking that Sky could transform Deignan to the next Chris Froome.

For a start, he's older than Froome, and I don't think they're comparable riders to be honest. Deignan doesn't have the TT pedigree Froome has, so there's no way he could morph into a Grand Tour contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

he will win the Paris-Nice next year no doubt

• Advertisement
Advertisement