Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Philip Deignan?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

The more I think about a possible move to SKY, the less I like of the idea. If he goes to SKY he will be turned into another mountain domestique for the GTs. When exactly would he get a chance to shine for himself? If he had been at SKY this year, he would have been working for Wiggins/Uran at the Giro, Froome at the Tour and Henao at the Vuelta. Now Uran has left and Wiggins looks likely to leave but then I think Porte will step up to be a leader. I just don;t see where we would get the chances to shine as SKY don't seem to let their key mountain doms head up the road in breaks. Too many leaders to work for at SKY.

If anything Deignan has benefited this year from riding for a lower level team and I think a lower level PT team with less leaders would be a better choice for him though I don't know what other offers he has had. Thinking maybe Orica-Greenedge or Argos-Shimano here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Solid ride in Utah, I make it out at 5th overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think he's 6th as Acevedo teleported out of nowhere due to cack coverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I do find Sky's tactics to lack the panache one associates with cycling but in fairness they use tactics that are designed to win.
    Guess what, it works.

Of course if they sign PD it will be to take enormous pulls in the mountains - that is precisely where his strengths lay. I would wager that when he is not ill that be is at least as strong in that role as many of their current crop. If he goes to Sky and does well he will get chances.
    Best of luck to him with whomever he joins - but he number 1 priority should be to get to the bottom of what makes him so inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Philip Deignan (UnitedHealthcare) finished a very impressive 10th overall at the USA Pro Challenge (2.HC ranked 7-day stage race), 4'12" behind the winner Tejay Van Garderen (BMC). He finished ahead of riders like Michael Rogers (Saxo-Tinkoff), Andy Schleck (Radioshack), and Andrew Talanksy (Garmin-Sharp).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

Philip Deignan to Sky next year .....some train pulling I suppose

But hope he gets to ride the Tour as I think that's an ambition of his

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Tour de France champion 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Good luck to him I hope it goes well. Strong Irish presence in Grand Tours next year hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Good luck to him I hope it goes well. Strong Irish presence in Grand Tours next year hopefully.

I'm sure he'll want to do the Giro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Deignan for the Giro or in support for porte

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Philip Deignan to Sky next year .....some train pulling I suppose

But hope he gets to ride the Tour as I think that's an ambition of his

I think Deignan would like a chance at the Giro considering it visits Ireland. I don't think there is any way SKY will let him do both the Giro and Tour. Tough one Giro or Tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭AnotherView

I think Deignan would like a chance at the Giro considering it visits Ireland. I don't think there is any way SKY will let him do both the Giro and Tour. Tough one Giro or Tour.

Bit of a problem for 3 top Irish riders next year...

Nico will be required to support Contador at Tour and he loves the Vuelta, his best GT and Giro is in Ireland ....??????

Mind you Tour stars in England so lots of Irish can see that in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Nico will be required to support Contador at Tour and he loves the Vuelta, his best GT and Giro is in Ireland ....??????

I'm going to hazard a guess that due to his strong showing in this years Vuelta, his average showing at the tour and his potential marketing value to his team with the Giro starting in Ireland, he'll do the Giro, the Vuelta and give the tour a miss.

(not saying Roche was poor at the tour but Saxo have plenty of other riders who can preform in such a role)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deignan-signs-for-team-sky

Cycling news reporting on Philip Deignan signing for sky. It's official it would seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Well, Deignan already won a stage of the Vuelta so if he's back on form, a return there would be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Philip Deignan: Not intimidated by move to Team Sky

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/540280/philip-deignan-not-intimidated-by-move-to-team-sky.html
    "I'm absolutely delighted. It's a dream come true," he beamed today when the move was made official. As regards riding with the likes of the last two Tour de France winners, Chris Froome and Bradley Wiggins, Deignan said he won't be intimidated if and when he's called on to support them next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Philip Deignan has been listed in the SKY team for the Tour of the Basque Country - the Vuelta al Pais Vasco (April 7-12)

He is riding with Peter Kennaugh (team leader), Ben Swift, Josh Edmondson, Vasil Kiryienka, Mikel Nieve, Danny Pate and Xabier Zandio.

I haven't checked but I expect this will be broadcast on Europsport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Yes its on Eurosport
    And I think Mikel Nieve is Sky leader .....he is from Basque country and a very good climber...it really is a climbers race

Contador , Quintana , Horner et al are all riding it...should be a good race

A little worried Nico not riding enough climbing races if preparing for Giro...think he should be in this race

• Advertisement

MPFG wrote: »
    Yes its on Eurosport
    And I think Mikel Nieve is Sky leader .....he is from Basque country and a very good climber...it really is a climbers race

Contador , Quintana , Horner et al are all riding it...should be a good race

A little worried Nico not riding enough climbing races if preparing for Giro...think he should be in this race

It'd be nice to see ex-Euskaltel riders do well this year.

Sorry its Valverde who is riding the Tour of the Basque country not Quintana
    Kreuziger is also riding this race

Philip Deignan will be in the Vuelta for Team Sky.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/philip-deignan-finds-a-new-balance-at-team-sky
    “This is the first time I will ride together with Chris and it's going to be very exciting,” Deignan said

He is riding quite well in Poland...ahead on GC of Hesjedal and others...and he crashed 2 days ago twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Tour de Pologne result:
    Deignan finished an impressive 12th in the ITT final stage this afternoon. That moved him up from 17th to 7th in the final GC standings.

• Advertisement

Philip was the best SKY rider by a mile .....far ahead of Henao, Cataldo & EBH ...if he is let off the leash in Spain he could do very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Phillip had a strong Tour of Poland. Think he got a top 10 finish albeit Eurosport had an Italian flag beside his name one minute and then on the top 10 board they had a Canadian flag beside his name...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Comes across well in the face of some idiotic questions here
    (From early in the season)

logik wrote: »
    Phillip had a strong Tour of Poland. Think he got a top 10 finish albeit Eurosport had an Italian flag beside his name one minute and then on the top 10 board they had a Canadian flag beside his name...

The host broadcaster. Not Eurosport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

I think he finished 7th overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

The host broadcaster. Not Eurosport.

Sorry, yes you are correct.

33rd place in Challenge Mallorca today just 4 seconds off the main finishing bunch. Hopefully has a better run of luck than last year. Seemed to have a lot of DNF and health issues.

Advertisement