Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman 2012 Roll call

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    I love the fact that you call other people abusive ;-)

I am abusive to people I know :) However in a professional capacity and in just in day to day dealings with people I do not know I will always be polite. "Please, thank you, you are welcome".

I will never abuse someone for absolutely no reason.

There is a reason, I think, that German was a word like "schadenfreude"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Was anybody more abusive than the day to day dealings with Ryanair ?
    If so you get my total sympathy.

peter kern wrote: »
    Was anybody more abusive than the day to day dealings with Ryanair ?
    If so you get my total sympathy.

Yes.
    Lufthanasa ground staff in Dublin (German). ("you flight is cancelled? What do you want me to do - bring you myself? get over it and move on you will get there tomorrow" - said to woman standing next to me - had a group of 27 children with her and a connecting flight in Frankfurt to catch)

Avis staff in Frankfurt (German) after arriving late but having had the dublin office ring them to advise them we would be late.
    "You are late, your car is gone, you cannot have another one and you cannot have your money back" then she walked away from us.

Hotel staff in hotel (german)
    "I'm a big cvnt bag, with an ugly cvnting head, I hate my life and am xenophobic and racist, also my tits are sh1t - so i am going to take it all out on you".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

tunney wrote: »
    If science is defined as the complete absence of manners, and a complete inability to be polite and a requirement for everyone to be borderline abusive.

Then yes Germany was too scientific for me.

Christ almighty, you must have felt right at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Name|Event|Estimated Time|Actual Time
    Oryx|IM Austria|12.45|
    RedB|IM Austria|12.30|
    Handangeo|IM Austria|sub10|
    Bryangiggsy|IM Frankfurt |10.20|
    kingQuez|IM Frankfurt| - |
    Tinydave|IM Frankfurt| hope I finish
    Conor20|IM Regensburg|sub12|
    Jackyback|Challenge Roth|sub10|
    tunney|Challenge Roth|9:49
    shotgunmcos|Challenge Barcelona|9:59|
    Jackyback|Challenge Barcelona|TBC|
    Abhainn|Challenge Barcelona|10:29|
    dx22|Challenge Barcelona|11:59|
    Big McE|Challenge Barcelona|sub 10:30|11:18:22
    Izoard|Abu Dhabi Long Distance*|10:10|9.30
    BennyMul|IM UK|12:30|
    too much trifle|the outlaw, nottingham|12:45|
    Couerdelion|Challenge Henley|Sub 14|
    Ceepo|IM Austria|To Finish|11.03
    Dquirke1|Hardman killarney|sub 12|
    triathlonsean|IM Austria|To Finish (in under 13!)|
    Brick Session|Hardman Killarney|To finish on the same day it starts|Actual Time

Thought I'd have a better time but thems the breaks. It was my first one so didn't really know what to expect. Swim (bit long but) and bike went grand, first half of marathon felt easy, second half was a sufferfest, looking back probably pushed the first 5k too hard. Overall I enjoyed the experience and I'm looking forward to the next one. It was nice to meet fella boardsies also!

• Advertisement

big mce wrote: »
    Thought I'd have a better time but thems the breaks. It was my first one so didn't really know what to expect. Swim (bit long but) and bike went grand, first half of marathon felt easy, second half was a sufferfest, looking back probably pushed the first 5k too hard. Overall I enjoyed the experience and I'm looking forward to the next one. It was nice to meet fella boardsies also!

Tables quoted in quotes cannot be reused. Perhaps you or a mod could edit and removed the nested quotes.

tunney wrote: »
    big mce wrote: »

Tables quoted in quotes cannot be reused. Perhaps you or a mod could edit and removed the nested quotes.

Sorry Tunney, trying to do updates with an iPhone wasn't a success. Mods can you rectify please? Ta

Oryx|IM Austria|12.45|
    RedB|IM Austria|12.30|
    Bryangiggsy|IM Frankfurt |10.20|11:05:54
    Jackyback|Challenge Roth|sub10|DNF
    tunney|Challenge Roth|9:49|10:54
    shotgunmcos|Challenge Barcelona|9:59|10:45:39
    Jackyback|Challenge Barcelona|TBC|10:33:07
    BennyMul|IM UK|12:30|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I propose that Estimated time is changed to goal time (on jan 1) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Oryx|IM Austria|12.45|
    RedB|IM Austria|12.30|
    Bryangiggsy|IM Frankfurt |10.20|11:05:54
    Jackyback|Challenge Roth|sub10|DNF
    tunney|Challenge Roth|9:49|10:54
    shotgunmcos|Challenge Barcelona|9:59|10:45:39
    Jackyback|Challenge Barcelona|TBC|10:33:07
    BennyMul|Hardman Killarney|12:30|11:23

• Advertisement

I propose that Estimated time is changed to goal time (on jan 1) :D

I'd argue against this. Saying goal time means that people, myself included, don't have to face their failure and account for the reasons they didn't achieve something that they thought realistic. Goal time could be passed off as "sure that was my dream goal time, my realistic goal time sure I hit that. I'm GRRREEEAT"

My 2c

Name|Event|Estimated Time|Actual Time|Result comment
    Oryx|IM Austria|12.45||
    RedB|IM Austria|12.30||
    Handangeo|IM Austria|sub10||
    Bryangiggsy|IM Frankfurt |10.20|11:05:54|
    kingQuez|IM Frankfurt| - ||
    Tinydave|IM Frankfurt| hope I finish|
    Conor20|IM Regensburg|sub12||
    Jackyback|Challenge Roth|sub10|DNF|
    tunney|Challenge Roth|9:49|10:54|Didn't have the willingness to do the work, sub-consciously (or not so much sub-consciously) choose immediate gratification of desires (food drink) over achievement of time, had no willingness to work, to suffer or to train.
    shotgunmcos|Challenge Barcelona|9:59|10:45:39|
    Jackyback|Challenge Barcelona|TBC|10:33:07|
    Abhainn|Challenge Barcelona|10:29||
    dx22|Challenge Barcelona|11:59||
    Big McE|Challenge Barcelona|sub 10:30|11:18:22|
    Izoard|Abu Dhabi Long Distance*|10:10|9.30|
    BennyMul|Hardman Killarney|12:30|11:23|
    too much trifle|the outlaw, nottingham|12:45||
    Couerdelion|Challenge Henley|Sub 14||
    Ceepo|IM Austria|To Finish|11.03|
    Dquirke1|Hardman killarney|sub 12||
    triathlonsean|IM Austria|To Finish (in under 13!)||
    Brick Session|Hardman Killarney|To finish on the same day it starts||

For most result comment == failure reason. Be honest people. face and learn from the experience be that "IM is not for me" or "stop eating McChunky fat-arse"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Oryx|IM Austria|12.45||
    RedB|IM Austria|12.30|15:29:59|Epic Fail. I might try to rationalise that I lost about 2 hours due to non-wetsuit / heat / naivety but I'm still an hour out. Didn't have the depth of training required on all 3 disciplines.
    tunney|Challenge Roth|9:49|10:54|Didn't have the willingness to do the work, sub-consciously (or not so much sub-consciously) choose immediate gratification of desires (food drink) over achievement of time, had no willingness to work, to suffer or to train.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oryx|IM Austria|12.45|14:54:16|It was hot. NWS swim hurt my time a bit, but mostly, I lost it on the run, because I just couldnt run in that heat. And tbh, I did overestimate my ability.
    RedB|IM Austria|12.30|15:29:59|Epic Fail. I might try to rationalise that I lost about 2 hours due to non-wetsuit / heat / naivety but I'm still an hour out. Didn't have the depth of training required on all 3 disciplines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Oryx|IM Austria|12.45|14:54:16|It was hot. NWS swim hurt my time a bit, but mostly, I lost it on the run, because I just couldnt run in that heat. And tbh, I did overestimate my ability.
    kingQuez|IM Frankfurt| - |10:53:33|Crap bike handling skills in rain fecked up all the hard work on the turbo over the winter (fear of crashing out), then I left it too late into the run to pick up the pace (for fear of blowing up). Should have been 10-15mins faster but play things too safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

kingQuez|IM Frankfurt| - |10:53:33|Crap bike handling skills in rain fecked up all the hard work on the turbo over the winter (fear of crashing out), then I left it too late into the run to pick up the pace (for fear of blowing up). Should have been 10-15mins faster but play things too safe.
    Jackyback|Challenge Roth|sub10|DNF|I craped and puked all over myself...then collapsed.
    Jackyback|Challenge Barcelona|TBC|10:33:07|Need to recover lost power on bike, run was pants and overall not a time reflective of where i thought i was at. Still building and weaknesses to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Bryangiggsy|IM Frankfurt |10.20|11:05:54|Did not get the volume and intensity required in so as a result was not fit enough.
    Jackyback|Challenge Roth|sub10|DNF|I craped and puked all over myself...then collapsed.
    Jackyback|Challenge Barcelona|TBC|10:33:07|Need to recover lost power on bike, run was pants and overall not a time reflective of where i thought i was at. Still building and weaknesses to overcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Bryangiggsy|IM Frankfurt |10.20|11:05:54|Did not get the volume and intensity required in so as a result was not fit enough.
    dx22|Challenge Barcelona|11:59|11:36|1st attempt at IM, swam well, biked better than i though i would, ran well within myself as i didnt know what was going to happen in the last 20K, as ive had never run a marathon before. Equipment and nutrition more or less worked out aok. In the end i was very comfortable and found the distance, dare i say it, way easier than expected ;) Next time will be aiming for a 10:30 hopefully in roth or IM Austria in 2014. The wife will divorce me if i attempt one next year!

dx22|Challenge Barcelona|11:59|11:36|1st attempt at IM, swam well, biked better than i though i would, ran well within myself as i didnt know what was going to happen in the last 20K, as ive had never run a marathon before. Equipment and nutrition more or less worked out aok. In the end i was very comfortable and found the distance, dare i say it, way easier than expected ;) Next time will be aiming for a 10:30 hopefully in roth or IM Austria in 2014. The wife will divorce me if i attempt one next year!
    Big McE|Challenge Barcelona|sub 10:30|11:18:22|Need to lose some weight. Too fond of alcohol! Should have gone harder on the bike.Going to look at some coaching next year, any suggestions??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

shotgunmcos|Challenge Barcelona|9:59|10:45:39|No excuses - Just didn't put the work in to deserve any better. That, and cramps suck sweaty ass!
    Big McE|Challenge Barcelona|sub 10:30|11:18:22|Need to lose some weight. Too fond of alcohol! Should have gone harder on the bike.Going to look at some coaching next year, any suggestions??:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

shotgunmcos|Challenge Barcelona|9:59|10:45:39|No excuses - Just didn't put the work in to deserve any better. That, and cramps suck sweaty ass!
    Brick Session|Hardman Killarney|To finish on the same day it starts|16:13:47|next time I do 140.6 I will race my own race, not make any new friends on the run and hurry the f*ck up as I now know I can do the distance.

Sorry lads but I am useless with inserting info into these tables. Maybe someone might edit this into the above table for me. Actual time 16:13:47, plans: next time I do 140.6 I will race my own race, not make any new friends on the run and hurry the f*ck up as I now know I can do the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Sorry lads but I am useless with inserting info into these tables. Maybe someone might edit this into the above table for me. Actual time 16:13:47, plans: next time I do 140.6 I will race my own race, not make any new friends on the run and hurry the f*ck up as I now know I can do the distance.

Done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Abhainn|Challenge Barcelona|10:29|10:08|Should have gone sub 10 at the least. Lessons learned regarding nutrition
    Brick Session|Hardman Killarney|To finish on the same day it starts|16:13:47|next time I do 140.6 I will race my own race, not make any new friends on the run and hurry the f*ck up as I now know I can do the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

Tinydave|IM Frankfurt| hope I finish| 11:54:17
    Abhainn|Challenge Barcelona|10:29|10:08|Should have gone sub 10 at the least. Lessons learned regarding nutrition

Advertisement