Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I always laugh at this. It's not tricky to order from Canyon it's actually very easy sure you can place your order without paying. You're company will have to pay the entire invoice and you'll have to reimburse your company for anything over the €1000 cut off. Canyon do not accept split payments on their invoices....

True, but that's not what I was talking about because the OP is spending < €1000. Why I said it was tricky is because the 3rd party cycle 2 work "management" companies only work with bricks & mortar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

TychoCaine wrote: »
    Canyon, being a German mail-order company can be a bit tricky to get on the bike 2 work scheme, but it can be done.
    True, but that's not what I was talking about because the OP is spending < €1000.

Hmmm. I don't recall reading anything like that.
    Why I said it was tricky is because the 3rd party cycle 2 work "management" companies only work with bricks & mortar shops.

This is not tricky it's impossible. Canyon do not deal with middle men companies. They do facilitate the bike to work scheme though as they are registered for VAT in Ireland.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    They do facilitate the bike to work scheme though as they are registered for VAT in Ireland.
    They facilitate it because they sell new bikes. Where they are VAT registered is irrelevant. They will charge Irish VAT if they are registered here. Your employer can buy from the UK, including bricks and mortar shops (In NI and elsewhere) which may not be registered for Irish VAT, in which case the "home" country VAT is applied. The employer cannot claim it back either way. The VAT rules were explained at post #4

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi all,

So I got a bike through bike to work in December2014. I change employer in 2015 and bike was fully paid up (it was taken from payroll over 2months). My question is as I have changed employer can I go avail of anothee bike to work or do I have to wait for the 5 years to be up?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I got a bike through bike to work in December2014. I change employer in 2015 and bike was fully paid up (it was taken from payroll over 2months). My question is as I have changed employer can I go avail of anothee bike to work or do I have to wait for the 5 years to be up?

Thank you

The spirit of the scheme is that it's every 5 years, regardless of how many employers you've had in that period. However, there's no centralised database and would take an in depth audit from revenue to discover it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Long discussion on this before, I have taken it as per employment as laid out in the wording. I have used the scheme with different employers within 5 years and feel satisfied that I have not broken any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Brilliant- thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Is the scheme worthwhile for a bike over the 1k?

Marin Rift-Zone is c. 1600. Is that also a good full susp mtb?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you'll get the benefit of the tax break up to the €1000, anything after that is pure spend for you.

your commute to work must be tough if that's the bike you intend to do it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

The tax break only applies up to 1,000 euro, so it's your own money after that.

Must be a b@stard of a commute, huh?

Edit; dammit MB beat me to it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Will be trying the btw scheme with Canyon on a bike over 1000 shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

well, you'll get the benefit of the tax break up to the €1000, anything after that is pure spend for you.

your commute to work must be tough if that's the bike you intend to do it on...

I've always used a mtb for the commute, also suspension is good for the shortcut at the start/end of the journey (high kerbs & assorted crap). Strictly, that's way overdoing it, but it's something I'm thinking about a little. Now my Trek Marlin is lasting nicely, so probably the more prudent way is to upgrade/replace some elements on it.

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭C__MC

Hi folks how do I eve go about applying for this scheme?

Where do I get an application form?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You need to apply via your employer. So if you have a HR department where you work, they're probably the ones to approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

yo, whats a good price to pay for 25mm spare tubes??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

Anywhere between 3.50 and 8euro. Depends on how many you buy, and where you buy them from and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

You will get a better response if you post that question elsewhere. This is just for cycle to work questions.

Good luck with Canyon purchase with employer. Some won’t buy over 1000 and Canyon won’t do split payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I got mine through Canyon.

Paid the money over €1000 seperately and employer covered the rest.

DDC1990 wrote: »

Good for you. That’s interesting. It’s been tried by others, and I asked them. They said no split payments/invoices.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Hi. Just wondering if you managed to get an invoice from canyon for the 1000 or how did it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

sann wrote: »
    Hi. Just wondering if you managed to get an invoice from canyon for the 1000 or how did it work
    I emailed them, they sent me an invoice for the total amount (€1149 I think). I went into the bank and paid the €149 to their payment address that the sent me, and then filled out the BTW form for my employer which covered the other €1000.

It was very straight forward, and Canyon went through the process with me all the way. I had heard they wouldnt do it before, and i've heard from others since that they wont do it, but plenty of people managed it.

Drop them a message would be my advice.

This was the email that they sent me:
    Dear DDC1990,

thank you for your email.

In order to use the Cycle to Work scheme in Ireland you need to purchaser the bike as normal on www.canyon.com. Then on the checkout make sure that the company name is listed as the billing address.

The Irish Cycle to work scheme does not require a specific form or process, all you need to do is to simply order the bike, making sure that the customer name and address are filled in with the details of the company who is buying the bike.

Then select Pre-Payment as the payment method then an invoice will be generated and sent to you by email. Please then pass the invoice to the HR department of your company for payment.
    Your HR will be able to reimburse the VAT, all they need are the registered details of Canyon in Ireland:

Member State: IE
    VAT Number: IE 9685412C
    Name: CANYON BICYCLES GMBH
    Address: KARL - TESCHE -STR 12 ,D-56073 KOBLENZ ,GERMANY

When I came back with the question about the bike costing more than €1000 they replied with this:
    thank you for your email.

No problem, your employer can transfer the EUR1000.00 and then you can top up the rest in a separate bank transfer. Please make sure you reference your order number on the payment reference.

Hope this helps.

I emailed them, they sent me an invoice for the total amount (€1149 I think). I went into the bank and paid the €149 to their payment address that the sent me, and then filled out the BTW form for my employer which covered the other €1000.

It was very straight forward, and Canyon went through the process with me all the way. I had heard they wouldnt do it before, and i've heard from others since that they wont do it, but plenty of people managed it.

When I came back with the question about the bike costing more than €1000 they replied with this:

Hope this helps.

That’s awesome.
    Great to see it’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the info.
    I will try it and see how i go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Has anyone got their bike to work through the HSE/NAS how long were ye waiting to collect it after handing in forms?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If they are going to use it exclusively for work they can claim tax relief on the purchase, with the same net impact. If partially for work they can claim a proportion (but ironically not including any "home to work" element)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

<Mod Note> Please no posts on how to scam the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I started my new job 4 years ago in same town as I live so after 6 months probationary period I asked about getting a bike on back to work scheme ,,,

my HR manager sighed.... "Every employee has had a bike on this scheme ....and the car park is full of cars...not a bike in sight...

Anyway I got last laugh as 4 years on its completely fallen apart from use , I still think I'm probably one of the only people in the country that bought a bike on scheme and cycled to work nearly every day ....I have to wait 6 months to get my new bike!!!! I might have to walk the last few weeks ... Can you get footware on a scheme???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I started my new job 4 years ago in same town as I live so after 6 months probationary period I asked about getting a bike on back to work scheme ,,,

my HR manager sighed.... "Every employee has had a bike on this scheme ....and the car park is full of cars...not a bike in sight...

Anyway I got last laugh as 4 years on its completely fallen apart from use , I still think I'm probably one of the only people in the country that bought a bike on scheme and cycled to work nearly every day ....I have to wait 6 months to get my new bike!!!! I might have to walk the last few weeks ... Can you get footware on a scheme???

which bits are falling apart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Even if very few are truly cycling to work, this has been a fantastic scheme, it's created employment and has encouraged more into doing activities such as cycling. It's a very progressive policy and should be rolled out across other sporting activities

Advertisement