Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭liam650

Been looking into this scheme, lets say i get a bike and a few weeks or months later i lose my job, how does it work in regards to payment, is it the employer or is it revenue who the balance is owed to or is it just forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

liam650 wrote:
    Been looking into this scheme, lets say i get a bike and a few weeks or months later i lose my job, how does it work in regards to payment, is it the employer or is it revenue who the balance is owed to or is it just forgotten about

U pay the full amount to employer and ur tax is adjusted in ur next pay....if u r paying installments u owe it to employer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Sweet jesus, wife's employer is taking forever, 6 weeks later and they still haven't processed anything.

They are using biketowork.ie to process them, claimed they had authorised it etc and 2 weeks later after emailing biketowork.ie they confirmed the wife's employer hasn't logged into the account in months..

Anyone else have to wait an eternity?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

has the scheme changed the second hand market much? for commuting I wouldn't mind buying one second hand but there doesn't seem to be a point if you are getting "50% off" new ones especially when second hand even if bought from a shop doesn't qualify.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There really is not much of a second hand market for 1000euro bikes anymore, as people who don't know the market but have given up on the B2W won't sell it for as little as it is not worth. Basically (in regards 1000euro bikes), once you walk out the door, your bike, with variation is worth 50% of its RRP. The market is now saturated with bikes slightly above this but sellers won't come down as they feel they are being cheated (they are not) and buyers quite rightly won't go up because they can potentially go via the B2W scheme within 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CramCycle wrote: »
    There really is not much of a second hand market for 1000euro bikes anymore, as people who don't know the market but have given up on the B2W won't sell it for as little as it is not worth. Basically (in regards 1000euro bikes), once you walk out the door, your bike, with variation is worth 50% of its RRP. The market is now saturated with bikes slightly above this but sellers won't come down as they feel they are being cheated (they are not) and buyers quite rightly won't go up because they can potentially go via the B2W scheme within 5 years.

I was thinking there would be a disconnect. If it was just for commuting I’d think I’d prefer two ~500 euro bikes over 10 years than feeling obliged to get 7 or 8 years out of a 1k bike. After 5 years I’d leave it unlocked in town and wait for it to be nicked ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I got a bike on the scheme but left the job after 5 months and paid the balance back to the employer at the time. Does that make me eligible for being granted the scheme again?

I got a bike on the scheme but left the job after 5 months and paid the balance back to the employer at the time. Does that make me eligible for being granted the scheme again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

idnkph wrote: »

It depends who you ask some see a change of employer as the beginning of the bike to work again. I think technically you're not but it is worded badly and leaves it open to interpretation. In short yes you could apply for it again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

under the legislation you can still only enter the scheme once every 5 Tax years.
    https://www.cyclescheme.ie/help/faqs/employee-faqs#/help/faqs/employee-faqs/what-happens-if-i-leave-my-job,-retire-or-ia-m-

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you repay the gross balance (total cost of the bike) or the net balance (amount outstanding after tax)?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

silverharp wrote: »
    I was thinking there would be a disconnect. If it was just for commuting I’d think I’d prefer two ~500 euro bikes over 10 years than feeling obliged to get 7 or 8 years out of a 1k bike. After 5 years I’d leave it unlocked in town and wait for it to be nicked ;-)

your also competing with interest free installments.
    i can get a 1000eu bike from a shop for something like 40eu a month out of my wages. or i can go on donedeal and be askedd to pay 7-800eu for the same bike becauses its "nearly new".

the 40eu bike will have a free service included and a shop guarantee while the 800eu bike is possibly robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

silverharp wrote: »

If (and this is a big if) you are in the higher tax bracket, a 1000 euro new bike costs you ~500 Euro every 2 years. Therefore, an equivalent second hand bike would have to be considerably cheaper than 500 euro in order to account for wear and tear, risk of issues that aren't immediately obvious on inspection etc.

No need to get 7-8 years out of a 1k bike. Bike to work is back available after 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patravers

If you had your bike stolen are you still ineligible for five years to get another bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

patravers wrote: »
    If you had your bike stolen are you still ineligible for five years to get another bike?

From the purchase time yes, for that employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

I’m thinking of getting a bike over the next few days, under the scheme. I’m completely new to this so what should I look out for price wise with the bike? Will probably needed the safety gear and some comfortable wear also.

Did you repay the gross balance (total cost of the bike) or the net balance (amount outstanding after tax)?

Yes repaid total gross balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

idnkph wrote:

My job takes the whole amount in the next pay slip which helps to avoid this happening. Wouldnt do it any other way.

Then you haven't availed of the scheme, so you can go for it any time you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

patravers wrote: »

Unfortunately yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

With all due respect, you don't have enough info to make that assertion, and with what's available I would doubt it's that way. If the poster paid back from their pocket the outstanding gross balance after 5 months (and only what was outstanding then), then they availed of the relief for the preceding 5 months, so they have availed of some relief under the scheme.

However, if they changed employment since then there's the loophole in interpretation that's already outlined which means anything that happened in the prior employment is irrelevant in this context.

EDIT: I see in your question you drew a false equivalency between gross balance and total gross cost - in that specific but nonstandard interpretation, you're correct, but it's hard to be sure the poster shared that interpretation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Idleater wrote: »
    From the purchase time yes, for that employment.
    i've not read the legislation, but any guidelines i've seen about it state that you can avail of it once every five years - there's not much out there to suggest that changing employers resets the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

i've not read the legislation, but any guidelines i've seen about it state that you can avail of it once every five years - there's not much out there to suggest that changing employers resets the clock.
    Not legislation but there's a link at the bottom of:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/items-not-treated-as-pay/provision-of-bicycles-for-directors-and-employees.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-42/42-04-35.pdf
    "The employee" and "employer"
    5-year period
    The exemption from income tax, USC and PRSI in respect of the benefit-in-kind can only be
    availed of once in any five-year period by an employee or director.
    Where an employer incurs an expense of less than €1,000 in year one in the provision of a
    bicycle and/or associated safety equipment, and incurs further costs within a 5-year period,
    the employee will not be able to claim the exemption in respect of the difference between
    €1,000 and the amount spent by the employer within the 5-year period

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They have availed of the scheme based on those posts.
    The legislation itself seems indicative of "per employment", certainly the way I read it. This said many employers will ask if you have availed of the scheme in the past five years, so there is a risk you are misleading an employer, which may have its own ramifications in regards their own HR policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Can anyone recommend a decent commuter bike under the scheme?

I’m 6” and thinking of getting the Cannondale Quick 5 disc. With the scheme, should be about 700 with 300 to spare for store credit for lights, helmet, servicing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

corcaigh07 wrote: »

I’m 6” and thinking of getting the Cannondale Quick 5 disc. With the scheme, should be about 700 with 300 to spare for store credit for lights, helmet, servicing etc.

I don't think you can use the scheme for bike service.

corcaigh07 wrote: »

If you're looking for something for commuting, you'll need mudguards, rack (carrier) and usually a good lock. Dynamo lights can be handy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Eamonnator wrote:
    I don't think you can use the scheme for bike service.

Or buying store credit.

Advertisement