Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just as well I didn't go. Sounds like you'd have left me in your dust. :D
    Pity you didn't go. I think your another who plays yourself down a little. You prob woulda handed me my ass on a plate. :)

Well. A minute and a half slower than last year. All lost on the bike which I took too easy on the descents cos I was too cautious. Very disappointed with that bike time. Need to work hard on that. Soft placings are nice but don't mean much in terms of ability unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Well. A minute and a half slower than last year. All lost on the bike which I took too easy on the descents cos I was too cautious. Very disappointed with that bike time. Need to work hard on that. Soft placings are nice but don't mean much in terms of ability unfortunately.

You're too cautious in general. The sheer amount of training you've done for IM should have had you beating last years time. All those excuses you give out before the race have a habit of echoing when the pain starts; no need for them.

That's a little bit of harsh advice, intended for your next race. For the moment, you got third, you can only medal against those who turn up, and its all about medals, so enjoy that feeling, they don't come around too often. Honestly, there's a whole load of people analysing their splits, who would swap any times for a placing, and you should focus on the placing. Have a well-deserved glass of wine and a bun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh for pity sake!!! Very disappointed??? With any of that??? Puh-leeeeeze!!!! Oryx, you rock...you are a stud...you did awesome!!! Just enjoy the "soft placing" (as you put it) and smile at the podium finish. Also, remember that every race stands on its own in terms of conditions and challenges, even on the same course but different years, so to some degree you are comparing apples and oranges.....or perhaps a better analogy is you're comparing Granny Smith apples to Red Delicious apples. Bottom line, you did a great job so quit beating yourself up. Triathlon Barbie would take that 3rd place prize and have her acceptance speech ready thanking all the little people in her life for making this moment a reality. Be that Barbie!!!! :D;):)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You're too cautious in general. The sheer amount of training you've done for IM should have had you beating last years time. All those excuses you give out before the race have a habit of echoing when the pain starts; no need for them.

That's a little bit of harsh advice, intended for your next race. For the moment, you got third, you can only medal against those who turn up, and its all about medals, so enjoy that feeling, they don't come around too often. Honestly, there's a whole load of people analysing their splits, who would swap any times for a placing, and you should focus on the placing. Have a well-deserved glass of wine and a bun:)
    Advice appreciated and taken on board. Already where my head and plans were going for next year. Sufferin here we come :)

• Advertisement

Triathlon Barbie. Mwahaha. :)

I just checked my times properly and heres a funny thing. My swim was one second faster. My bike was just 12 seconds slower. But my run was half a minute slower. And the transitions cocked the whole thing up completely. :) Yes it should have been faster but I went into it not really wanting it or caring. But its given me the kick up the bum i needed to get in gear for the next phase, where I stop being content with not being last. I mean, I'm carbon based. And carbon is fast, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You certainly put yourself down a lot when there is no need to. I am probably the opposite side of the scale being too positive or confident however you could do with moving up a few notches on that confidence ladder, why because you can and deserve to.

You placed 3rd today when from reading your log you already wrote the race off before you started so take something from that, work on the mental side.

Congrats yer feckin class.

This morning was lovely for a change so went down early to the woods beside the sea for a friendly run with some others. Mostly gentle with a mile long sprint at the end. 5 miles total. As the sun was shining I headed to the shore for a paddle which turned into a swim. Exhilarating is how I would describe it. Fkn cold is another way. But a hell of a way to spend a morning. :)

You've got to love Bunclody. The only place in the world where they have an arrangement with the gods of weather for glorious sunshine on this one day a year. It had been pouring rain all last week, and Sunday evening, yesterday, and today. But Sunday morning at Bunclody swimming pool, it was sunny. Them Racing795 guys sure have special powers.

As usual, I was Mrs Clock and very early, so I waited around for transition to open, watching idly while the 795 team worked like busy bees to get everything sorted. They rolled out enough carpet to go from there to Enniscorthy.... kept our poor delicate tri feet happy. :)

I was wandering around in a woe-is-me mood though, and didn't think I would do at all well. And as I know well, where the mind leads the body follows... But still, I enjoyed the pre race bit and watching the other waves go off, there was a lovely atmosphere, lots of guys from my own club, and sure I'd talk to anyone anyway.

Swim
    My swim wave was third, and we had just 4 in the lane, which was grand. I went off first, and got caught by the girl behind me at length 10, she then left me for dead. :p I guess I was slowing down. Although I'm not fast this was the first time I actually felt like a swimmer, and not just fighting to get up and down the pool. Though I am reliably told I drag my fat ass up and down the pool like a weight and I need to get my kick sorted. I know I didn't nail it, but god, I enjoyed it*. 11.36.

No idea on T1, but fumbly and slow.

Bike
    I took off on the bike just as the only shower of the day came down. Passed one or two up the hill and thought I was setting a good enough pace, for me. Unfortunately my computer didn't start so I didn't know my speed. I did slow a lot on the greasy downhills, I'm nervous at the best of times and this was not the best of times. As the sun came out and the roads dried I got a bit more speed in, but lost focus at times, I was having too much fun*. Got passed by a girl and realised I was slacking, took her again, and held the pace till I got back. I was disappointed to see my bike time of 47.25. I really expected to be faster. Those descents were useless.

Again, no idea on T2 but probably slow. Too feckin relaxed by halves.

Run
    This whole race was feeling so short that I felt like I'd hardly warmed into it. Up the hill from transition I know I was slower than normal, and part of that is because I was alone on the course. I need that mental fishing line reeling in whoever is in front of me. I had to keep reminding myself to work and not slack off. The hill to the turnaround didnt seem as long, or as steep as other years, but maybe that was because I was off the pace a bit... More of this enjoying it malarkey*. Coming back down I tried to let it rip a bit but again, having nothing in front to chase didnt help me. 23.??

Total time of 124.59 just scraping under 1 hour 25. I didn't know at the time but this gave me third place in the women's race. Frankly, I was lucky, because I didn't deserve that. I was slower than last year, which should not have happened. I have a year of hard training under my belt and should have been stronger. My body didnt let me down, my head did. I paced it like a longer race, instead of getting stuck into it more.

*there is no place for enjoying stuff in a sprint. :p

I have taken a lot from it though, stuff I needed to acknowledge. I have ambitions for next year that will involve a change of training and a big change of attitude, and this race was very helpful in hammering home how important that change of attitude will be. I've had my fun. Time for serioussssenesss now. :p

• Advertisement

I realise I have made no mention of Kurt Godel in my report above. This was an oversight. Hi Kurt *waves*. I met him on Sunday for the second time and in spite of his stunning looks, didnt recognise him at first. :) He ran a great race, making it all look easy. The sod. :)

I realise I have made no mention of Kurt Godel in my report above. This was an oversight. Hi Kurt *waves*. I met him on Sunday for the second time and in spite of his stunning looks, didnt recognise him at first. :) He ran a great race, making it all look easy. The sod. :)

Toying with my emotions Oryx, those 20 minutes between your posts were a dark and depairing place. All is good now:)

And, regarding the race, in retrospect it did feel a little easy. Which is a way of saying it should have hurt more (you and me both). Perhaps the wave starts spread the field too much, there was little head-to-head competition, and I'd say I "enjoyed" the race in a similar way to yourself. Still, its a positive that this is noticed, and hopefully to be rectified. What's next for you race-wise?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Toying with my emotions Oryx, those 20 minutes between your posts were a dark and depairing place. All is good now:)
    Deeply sorry about that. I blame my post race elation after watching brownlee sprint to victory.
    And, regarding the race, in retrospect it did feel a little easy. Which is a way of saying it should have hurt more (you and me both). Perhaps the wave starts spread the field too much, there was little head-to-head competition, and I'd say I "enjoyed" the race in a similar way to yourself. Still, its a positive that this is noticed, and hopefully to be rectified. What's next for you race-wise?
    Signed up for DCT, but the water quality issue is making me nervous. Tri the hook is next weekend. I shouldnt, but I nearly would. Wrecks my marathon plan tho. No long runs for two weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

:confused:
    Sure it was him? :confused:

and in spite of his stunning looks
    :confused:
    Sure it was him? :confused:

I think she meant to say "stunned by his spiteful looks".

I refuse to wear glasses. Everyone I meet is in soft focus anyway. And stop fishing for compliments Kurt. :)

I refuse to wear glasses. Everyone I meet is in soft focus anyway. And stop fishing for compliments Kurt. :)

No fishing here, I'm well aware my many qualities, but looks ain't one of them!

You can blank me again if you end up doing the Tri the Hook, I signed up for it. Very little info on the website- do you know what sort of swim it is? Please say its at one of the abundant beaches (fingers crossed for Carnivan), and not at the crappy Father Fortune Pool.

I didn't sign up cos its Saturday and I can't get the whole day off. Tis a sea swim alright but I haven't a clue which beach. The website is a bit low on info alright, I couldn't even see the entry cutoff. A few in the club did it and Du the Hook and said they were good races.

I didn't sign up cos its Saturday and I can't get the whole day off. Tis a sea swim alright but I haven't a clue which beach. The website is a bit low on info alright, I couldn't even see the entry cutoff. A few in the club did it and Du the Hook and said they were good races.

Great, I know loads of the beaches around FOS/Hook, spoilt for choice. As long as there's a stretch of OW I'll be happy. Cut off is tonight or tomorrow, but I got that from a google search.

I'll be missing a calculus tutorial myself to fit it in, but work is a greater excuse; I'll find someone else looking hot in their catsuit to bother look splendid in a photo next to. Glad to hear its (the Du anyway) a good race; I see that IrishSh*t.ie logo during signup and start to worry.

I think there was one dodgy turn on the bike for du, which I reckon is the same route. And you fickle thing, moving on so fast. I'm gutted. Tho there will be plenty of other catsuits on the prowl on Saturday. Enjoy. :)

• Advertisement

Nice swim tonight. A few drills. A few sets. I was very tired all day so no intensity, this was about making sure my legs work and thinking about my kick. Of course this meant I wasn't relaxed but I know that will come. What I am better at now is a dolphin kick as I push from the wall (I blame watching the Olympics.. ). It won't be much use in ow but its all part of my plan to be a better all round swimmer. We shall see. Right now I feel guilty because I've missed so many ow sessions. I may catch up pronto!

You know what? Recovery from IM is longer than a month. Six weeks later I'm still wasted every time I train. Its getting to be a pain in the bum.

Did a 12k run the other day. Took 64 mins and was tough as fk. Negative split it and nearly puked as I finished so all good there. Crawled into bed afterwards.

Yesterday did a short hill session on the bike just before dark. 40 mins covering just over 15k. But that pace is gonna change.. Crawled into bed afterwards.

Today did my first xc session in months. Oh Jesus it nearly killed me. My legs could hardly remember what speed felt like. They sure as hell know now - painful! It involved a section running in the sea so after the last lap I ditched the watch and shirt and dived right in. Funny part was everyone else followed me. Maybe they thought it was part of the session? Fun though. Did not crawl into bed afterwards but I really, really want to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sure is. Hard to unwind with proper recovery too... take a few days off Oryx!

Sure is. Hard to unwind with proper recovery too... take a few days off Oryx!
    What are these strange.. days off.. you speak of? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

What are these strange.. days off.. you speak of? :p
    I know. I tried out 3 whole ones this week, in succession. Caz said she is getting concrned about me...

Still not the ticket though... I need to try some more :D

I know. I tried out 3 whole ones this week, in succession. Caz said she is getting concrned about me...

Still not the ticket though... I need to try some more :D
    I'm still holding out the hope that the dizzy spells will go away on their own. :)

Three days in a row? You rebel, you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

You know what? Recovery from IM is longer than a month. Six weeks later I'm still wasted every time I train. Its getting to be a pain in the bum.

Did a 12k run the other day. Took 64 mins and was tough as fk. Negative split it and nearly puked as I finished so all good there. Crawled into bed afterwards.

Yesterday did a short hill session on the bike just before dark. 40 mins covering just over 15k. But that pace is gonna change.. Crawled into bed afterwards.

Today did my first xc session in months. Oh Jesus it nearly killed me. My legs could hardly remember what speed felt like. They sure as hell know now - painful! It involved a section running in the sea so after the last lap I ditched the watch and shirt and dived right in. Funny part was everyone else followed me. Maybe they thought it was part of the session? Fun though. Did not crawl into bed afterwards but I really, really want to. :)

Girl in my club who did Roth this year is doing groom sport half iron in a few weeks, crazy !

Girl in my club who did Roth this year is doing groom sport half iron in a few weeks, crazy !
    Not at all. I met a girl at vitruvian last year who had just done Austria. If I had an entry, I'd have a go at a September HIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

One of the Waterford lads who did the Outlaw in Nottingham on the same day as Austria is doing the Hardman also. The bar is being raised all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

HM did two IM on consecutive weekends a couple of years ago, one of them with a nose that was broken in the swim :)

Advertisement