Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

@ Oryx, I saw this and thought of you!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Took my new suit into the sea for a dip. The main thing I noticed was that it was warmer, so definitely less water flowing around it. I don't know if I was faster but everything felt ok and easy, body position made for a strong kick without having to work on just staying up. :) Mostly I'm happiest about being able to stay in this year's ever-frigid seawater longer than normal.

Aaaand its Thursday yet again, so its crazy stupid person early LSR again....

I thought with this being just a two hour run I would get a break and not have to get up so early, but ohhh no. Oh had to leave at 7 which meant I had to be back. So yet again my alarm blared at me at 4.15. And I really needed that 45 mins to wake up. I put my porridge in the fridge to microwave it, and took down the ketchup to put on it afterwards. Brain was not functioning!

But at least it wasnt raining. Took my phone for some choons, dressed in a few layers and a hat to cook myself nicely, and plodded out the run. Very slow today, my legs felt like I had breeze blocks attached to my feet (physio yesterday left them sore as well) I reckon I'm still carrying last weeks 18 hour madness -very tired. Yet again, me and powerbar had a falling out (which adequately describes what happened my gut too :) )

22.2k in 2hours 5 mins. Happy its done, unhappy it was so slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yet again, me and powerbar had a falling out (which adequately describes what happened my gut too )

I've gotten into the habit of taking an Imodium tablet before long runs (>2hrs), especially if the previous nights food and alcohol intake is going to be an issue. I also took one on the morning of Conn Marathon to help deal with 'nerves' and it worked quite well........though I'm sure you've tried this.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I've gotten into the habit of taking an Imodium tablet before long runs (>2hrs), especially if the previous nights food and alcohol intake is going to be an issue. I also took one on the morning of Conn Marathon to help deal with 'nerves' and it worked quite well........though I'm sure you've tried this.
    Nope, never have. But Ill try it for the next early morning training I do, and see how that goes. (or not :p) I used to tolerate pb very well, so it could be coincidental. I have a jippy tummy at the best of times anyway.

• Advertisement

Sleepy sleepy swim set. 7am start, which nowadays is not too bad. I had less than an hour, but wanted to focus on getting my legs working. The guy the other day put the wind up me about my kick and its been bothering me since. Now I know this is not the time to correct my stroke, I know this and still wanted to have a test session to mess about with it. What can I say? Its taper. Its meant to be mad.

I have been reading Dory's log where she talks about her pull/kick/swim sessions, so I decided to see what that was all about. I alternated between the three, (kick was both with board and lateral) although not at the distances Her Royal Swimminess can do. ;) To me, it seemed like I was breaking everything up, then putting it back together again. It definitely seemed to make me work in a more effective way for the 'swim' bit. I still simply cannot make my feet and arms synchronise in the way the TYR selling coach said I should. So I will simply park that whole ambition for now and look into finding a good coach later in the year for some 1 on 1 to crack this bloody thing.

55 mins, 2k. And thats all for today, folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Unless you've signed up for a 100 meter free event in the next few weeks, definitely park that feet/arms synch ambition for now. It's all about the upper body for what you'll be doing in Austria, so screw the kick. ;)

Did a brick today. 50 mins on my turbo @ 135bpm. (couldnt face a hard set, I feel tired and kinda fluey which is a sign that I'm on the edge and should not push things) then out into the rain for a 45 min run. My run legs felt good even though the rest of me is buggered. A few wee niggles in the hips and legs but nothing to panic about (fingers crossed). Enjoyed the run a lot more than the bike.... My hours will be down this week from missing a swim but I dont care. I'm tired and waiting for this supposed taper freshness to kick in. Yeah, right. :)

Longish bike. A few weeks ago this ride would have seemed very long but today it was handy. Hit a stone and punctured around 40k into it and bent the new valve pumping up the new tube (another rookie mistake learned) so detoured home to pick up a spare tube just in case. It did hold anyway. Did the same route twice. Lovely morning for it, I've been very lucky for these cycles and have missed the rain. 102k. Somewhere over 4 hours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

iYou're a saint for the early morning sessions. Dunno how you do it - I do my long bikes at 12 on Sundays(when I do them) how do you get out before 7. :eek: On a Sunday. :eek:

• Advertisement

I was out at half five. :) The secret is to find another early bird to come out with you so you have to turn up on time. My partner in crime today only wanted to do 2 hours and still met me at that ungodly hour. I have to get out then because I can't go missing on the family all day. Its bad enough as it is!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My excuse is we do our sunday family stuff until about 11 am :D I could get up at 5:30 but...

I have just watched a dvd documentary of IM Austria kindly loaned to me by Alan Ryan. It shows him and others doing the race for the first time (where he did 9.51, Jesus wept). I am now very scared. Its very close and very real! :)

Swam tonight. It was rough and cold but I did about 1500 in my nice new snuggly suit. Everyone else got out early so I felt very alone out in the waves. Nice swim though. :)

Scared and excited all at the same time, I'm sure. Just attack this event in your own way and with your own paces (fast/slow, no matter) and remember this isn't necessariy a race, it's an accomplishment.....an accomplishment you are more than ready and able to complete. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    I have just watched a dvd documentary of IM Austria kindly loaned to me by Alan Ryan. It shows him and others doing the race for the first time (where he did 9.51, Jesus wept). I am now very scared. Its very close and very real! :)

Swam tonight. It was rough and cold but I did about 1500 in my nice new snuggly suit. Everyone else got out early so I felt very alone out in the waves. Nice swim though. :)

I've seen bits of that documentary, and it's bloody awesome. I'd actually love a copy if that's at all possible. Alan show us clips from it at a talk he gave us during our annual Courtown trip last year.

I don't know if he needs this copy back but I will try to get you one. What gets me in the documentary is how laid back the fecker is. Same irl. Makes it seem easy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Love a copy too please :)

handangeo wrote: »
    I cant burn copies here, so Id have to figure something out on that score. With Alans permission too. :)

Watching it late last night was not a good idea. Dreamt of IM all night. :p
    Ran this morning, just a short one. 8.8k in 46 mins. Didnt quite do a RedB on it, but I did wear a thermal top. I will take the heat agony as it comes on the day.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Scared and excited all at the same time, I'm sure. Just attack this event in your own way and with your own paces (fast/slow, no matter) and remember this isn't necessariy a race, it's an accomplishment.....an accomplishment you are more than ready and able to complete. :)
    It bloody is a race. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

+1

Have you a dropbox folder - perhaps it might go up on that if it is less than 2 g's in size and Alan doesnt mind. I can swap you a Total Immersion and Sufferfest that I have up in mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

I was wondering when the Smackdown talk would begin ;)

catweazle wrote: »
    +1

Have you a dropbox folder - perhaps it might go up on that if it is less than 2 g's in size and Alan doesnt mind. I can swap you a Total Immersion and Sufferfest that I have up in mine
    I think the simplest thing for me to get in touch with Alan and see if he has it online somewhere. I will let yall know.
    I was wondering when the Smackdown talk would begin ;)
    I have to channel this crippling fear into something. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

I have to channel this crippling fear into something. :o

There's no need for you to fear the distance, you've done the training. Respect the distance - yes; fear it - no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ok Oryx a bit early i know but going to wade in with my own advice and motivation ala ElD style:D

The IM race is your reward for the training put in over the last 30 weeks, do
    not lose sight of this and make sure you enjoy every moment of the race.
    Pace the first 90km easy on the bike and then lift the effort slightly for the second half.
    Set an alarm every 20mins on the garmin to make sure you are nailing your hydration and nutrition plan.
    Sunblock, plenty of sunblock.
    When the demons attack (and they will numerous times) you stick your two fingers up at them and laugh at them.
    You will suffer no doubt about it. Use a mental image, be it family, friends your online boards support crew cheering you on:). Anything that works to give some positive reinforcement.
    This is a race, a mental one, a personal one. When you think you cannot push harder you can and you will. You want to finish the race knowing you have left everything out on the course.
    Above all remember the sacrifices you have made, your family and friends have made. Think of those lonely early morning long runs and those early morning sweatfests on the turbo that got you to that start line and will get you to the finish line.
    When you hit the finish straight embrace every minute of it. Make sure nobody takes away your limelight at the finish chute and ruins your finish photo.

Now Hoo Ha go kick some ass over in Austria.

If that was not enough to stir some motivation and get the IM juices going then both of these might help. I wish you the very best of luck not that you will need it:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnqpYKx8Fvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXdQgMxDp3A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

^^^^^^^ Dunno about you Oryx, but I'm in tears here...:)

Well said, JB - reward time!

I know. You guys.... got me all emotional here. *sniff*
    Better go kick some puppies to even things up again. ;)

Okay then, get yer fecking arse moving and no more namby pamby "I'm scared" crap. We'll be taking note of each bloody split and want no excuses. Work is done, now it's time to perform. We expect no less. Period. ;)

Okay then, get yer fecking arse moving and no more namby pamby "I'm scared" crap. We'll be taking note of each bloody split and want no excuses. Work is done, now it's time to perform. We expect no less. Period. ;)
    Point taken. Less girlieness. More HTFU.

Point taken. Less girlieness. More HTFU.

That was actually more about me being less girlie than you being less girlie since I was apparently too easy on you with my this is an accomplishment and not necessarily a race declaration. You've got plenty of HTFU - not worried about you!!

• Advertisement

That was actually more about me being less girlie than you being less girlie since I was apparently too easy on you with my this is an accomplishment and not necessarily a race declaration. You've got plenty of HTFU - not worried about you!!
    D'ya know, one of the main things that will push me on come the 1st will be knowing the likes of you may be tracking progress online. I cant quit, Dory's watching!! :p

Still 12 days to go though, lots to do yet!

Advertisement