Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MW3] Normal vs Hardened Edition

Options
  • 04-09-2011 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm going to be pre ordering MW3 pretty soon and I have yet to decide which edition I want to get..

The argument is as follows:

If you decide to pay the extra 50 odd euro for the hardened edition you get
    • 1-YEAR CALL OF DUTY®: ELITE MEMBERSHIP
    • SPECIAL FOUNDER STATUS ON CALL OF DUTY ELITE, INCLUDES EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME EMBLEM, PLAYERCARD, WEAPON CAMOUFLAGE, CLAN XP BOOST, AND MORE EXCLUSIVE BENEFITS
    • PREMIUM, COLLECTIBLE STEELBOOK™ CASE
    • EXCLUSIVE SPECIAL OPS JUGGERNAUT XBOX LIVE® OUTFIT
    • LIMITED EDITION, COLLECTIBLE FIELD JOURNAL CHRONICLING THE ENTIRE SAGA WITH 100+ PAGES OF AUTHENTIC MILITARY SKETCHES, DIAGRAMS AND WRITTEN ENTRIES

The only thing I'm really interested about there is the year of free Elite Membership which will allow me to download all the map packs (which I buy anyway) for free

With the price of the Map Packs Usually being close to €15 it nearly evens out on that alone

What do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Quote from Demonic over on the AK forums.
    Just wanted to do a quick post on this, as a lot of guys asking in the lobbies, and there is some misunderstandings..

About Elite
    More info obviously on real website http://www.callofduty.com/elite/whats-included.html

Comes in 2 versions - Free and Premium
    [Free]Private Clan support
    [Free]HD Video Sharing
    [Free]Ability to customize loadouts from outside the game
    [Free]Smartphone access
    [Free]Stats and match data
    [Premium]Provides monthly map pack updates (no waiting for months between releases)
    [Premium]Daily competitions/events
    [Premium]Clan level ups (not sure if all clan needs to be premium, or just the leader)
    [Premium]Earlier access to all DLC

About Hardened Edition

Yes Hardened Edition does contain 1yr of Elite subscription worth $49.99 (we don't know the € or £ cost at this point).
    Also includes permanent founder status - which you can also get if you preorder elite.
    Hardened edition comes with many other items - you might want to check if they are what you want
    It may NOT be the cheapest option for you.....
    At €100 it is NOT the cheapest retail option - i.e. the game at RRP is €57.. Add Elite and it's likely to be another €40 - so total would be about €97
    however - get it the likes of Tesco, HMV and others doing deals, and your likely to buy the normal version for <€40 by looking around

Really - the cheapest method is still to get MW3 from a cheap retailer and then pay the Elite fee.
    Hardened only makes sense if you have no access to such a retailer, or want the other items in the pack....

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ive never bought any special editions before but ill prob buy the hardened edition because it has some useful stuff, and I play call of duty alot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wasn't too sure when i first heard the price (and the fact that there's no prestige edition) but 2 minutes later i was upgrading my pre-order. Already had €70 paid thinking that i'd be getting a prestige edition worth €150+ so all good.

And smart thinking too really with the CoD Elite thing, going to make people get used to it and make it a yearly purchase!

Still though, we're paying €8 more than our UK neighbours for the same thing (£80 vs €100)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

I'm a sucker for Steelbooks so Hardened Edition for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Regular for me, loved MW1 and 2 but then hated black ops and traded it after a week. Would have felt burned if I paid over the odds for map packs up front for a game I ended up not liking. Its just good sense imo to pay a basic rate to see if I like it then buy extras later on if its good.

Elite makes no diff to me, even if it was free wouldnt bother with it tbh.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Regular for me, loved MW1 and 2 but then hated black ops and traded it after a week. Would have felt burned if I paid over the odds for map packs up front for a game I ended up not liking. Its just good sense imo to pay a basic rate to see if I like it then buy extras later on if its good.

Elite makes no diff to me, even if it was free wouldnt bother with it tbh.

the prizes and competitions for clans could be cool alright, time to put the boards boys to the test :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I'm betting the 360 gimp scoper's will have a field day with the clan shizz.

Also we don't lose.You should know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Right, So with the Hardened edition you're basically getting all DLC free thats released within the year of your Elite sub?

Cant complain with that.

And you get to keep it once the sub expires.

• Advertisement

I'm betting the 360 gimp scoper's will have a field day with the clan shizz.

Also we don't lose.You should know that.

not to mention quickscoping lobbies, woot, let them do their 360 noskopez all they want in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

I've been on HMV.com. They're charging £80 for the hardened edition, plus £2.50 shipping. I rang them and they say they get the game out on or before day of release. I've also got a £9 voucher on the site, so in total it'd cost me £73.50 which converts to €83.50 roughly at today's rates. Plus I've a guarantee that if the price changes I'll get the cheapest rate by ordering now.

So €83.50 for a hardened edition... That to me works out as a straight forward deal. Elite for the year, all the DLC and it basically works out that you get the extra bumpf for free.

But I guess I've two questions.

1. Can I really rely on HMV to get the game to me no later than the release day? Has anyone ordered games off them before, or heard of people who did?

2. IW are saying that they are releasing 1 map per month which you get free through Hardened/Elite membership... Does this mean if you aren't on Elite, you have to buy one map per month, or do you miss out on playing the first two maps until the three are released after 3 months???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Any "Special Edition" for us PC gamers?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

I'll be picking up the hardened, even though I haven't missed the quick scoping in black ops.

roast wrote: »
    Any "Special Edition" for us PC gamers?

Not sure. But you guys do get dedicated servers, which us console boys miss out on again...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hardened edition for me. Easy decision really since you are getting all the DLC for free.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hardened edition for me. Easy decision really since you are getting all the DLC for free.

I've heard some people say that if you lapse in your Elite membership, you lose the DLC you'd received through that. Other sites say this isn't the case. Anyone have any definite info they've seen on this?

shawpower wrote: »
    I've heard some people say that if you lapse in your Elite membership, you lose the DLC you'd received through that. Other sites say this isn't the case. Anyone have any definite info they've seen on this?

I doubt it, that would be really bad form

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I doubt it, that would be really bad form

You have heard of Activision before, right? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Hardened edition is going to be xbox only ? Heard that today, anybody else hear anything like that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

No it's on PS3 aswell-both consoles get seperate exclusives however,

http://www.gamestop.ie/42213_PlayStation_3_Call_Of_Duty_Modern_Warfare_3_Hardened_Edition.aspx

Ordered hardened :) rock on 8th november

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Are Xtravision getting the Hardened editions in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Will there be a limited amount of the Hardened editions being sold? Remember reading somewhere(think it was here) that they were already sold out in one shop?!

Go to gamestop and preorder, got the last preordered ps3 hardened edition in the store,I went to xtravision and thats how I heard the xbox only rumour.

preordered Hardened edt in gamestop yesterday, hope the thing is worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

For how much pray tell ?

claiva wrote: »

For how much pray tell ?
    99 yoyos

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Same, was expecting to have to put a 10 euro deposit on it, but they only asked for 3.

• Advertisement

preorded the hardened in gamestop earlier, I usually dont bother preordering games but its worth the few quid and I have a gift card with 200 quid on it it so I'll def be buying it there

Advertisement