Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you support any British sports teams?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

I don't support any teams/not interested in sport
    presumably you don't watch American tv shows/films because you're not american?

Not the same thing, I watch them, I don't support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

regarding the SPL teams both celtic and rangers failed in their attempts to qualify for the europa lge (celtic may get a reprieve)
    the other teams in the SPL , i.e. hearts and dundee utd failed to make any impression in the europa league. my point being is that the LOI is certainly improving, shamrock rovers qualifying for the europa shows this so if you take out the old firm (regardless of what celtic and rangers have achieved in the past, rangers winning a uefa in 71 and celtic the european cup in 68) then the rest of the SPL is very very mediocre really and the likes of shamrock rovers, derry , sligo would more than compete with dundee utd, hearts, kilmarnock , motherwell etc.
    Aberdeen also won the cup winners cup in the 80s, dundee united got to the uefa final in 87,,Celtic won the European Cup in 67 not 68 & got to the final again in 70 & the UEFA final in 2003 & rangers got to the final in 08 as well..yes you say now take out the top two teams but you didnt say that then,

Even the other teams are full of International players even if its Lithuania ,Finland etc.

I agree though that the LOI is getting stronger & what im saying is it would be much much stronger if people (like yourself) from here would stop supporting English clubs & put the money into Irish clubs instead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

No
    oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    I agree though that the LOI is getting stronger & what im saying is it would be much much stronger if people (like yourself) from here would stop supporting English clubs & put the money into Irish clubs instead!

Nothing stopping him supporting EPL teams, nothing stopping him going to LOI games as well.

You're not gonna convert people to the LOI by telling them to ditch a team they've supported all their life. The LOI is played, by and large, on Friday evenings, let's encourage folk to come along and leave them support who they like other than that.

Don't you think its a bit off for you to be criticising him for supporting Leeds and not an Irish when you have a reference to a scottish club in your name?

Besides, I'm sure that the point he was making was that if you have no truly local LoI club then it is far easier to follow an English club with sky sports and so on than it is an Irish club.
    No its not off..i was born & bred in Glasgow from Irish parents so naturally Celtic is my team..

Even if i was from here then id say an exception could be made for Celtic .. & to a lesser extent Hibernian.. as these are clubs founded for the Irish in Britain... much like that rugby club based in London caters for the Irish in London..whats it called again??

Killinator wrote: »
    Most if not all clubs have some sort of shady/bad/racist following,
    If you were to cut every team that had some sort of bad element/history from your potential supported club then I'm sure you'd take out more than a few teams, and I'm sure a couple of them would be Irish,
    Or are LoI teams and supporters above bad behavior.

Perhaps they are just the typical scumbags who will align themselves with anything as a chance to cause trouble(see London riots as an example, 90% of people couldn't have given a f**k about a black guy being shot in Tottenham)

I was over at Stamford bridge after a game, went into a Chelsea bar, and didn't have people chanting UVF chants and beating me up, does that mean I am not a real supporter or that the other English people in the pub weren't real fans.

As may be interpreted from my post, I am a Chelsea fan, I paid my club membership( except I can't afford it this year), and I do see it as 'we' as opposed to 'them', I have been supporting them since I was......well I can't remember when exactly, 6-7 years old(25 now), my Dad is a staunch supporter and blue is my favorite colour, so I guess it was bound to happen,
    People do throw the bandwagon thing at me but that gets ignored as I been dealing with it for years now, i doesn't really effect me.

Why I don't support a local team, well to be quite honest I was never interested in any local team, they don't get the exposure but I do like to see an Irish team do well, that said if Shamrock Rovers or Limerick 37 ever came up against Chelsea, I'd still be siding for Chelsea.
    I also have as much opportunity to see a LoI team play as I do to see Chelsea play, which is very very little.

TL;DR.....
    If you didn't read then I'm not explaining:D

To say youd support the team of a Borough of London against the team of your own home town to me just defies belief...whats that noise??? its the bodies of Irelands Patriot dead spinning in there graves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

No
    Yes, because Irish + N.Irish football is crap.. really no need to explain it futher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

No
    To say youd support the team of a Borough of London against the team of your own home town to me just defies belief...whats that noise??? its the bodies of Irelands Patriot dead spinning in there graves

I'd say at this point you could farm on the patriots graves, it's been so well turned.:rolleyes:

No
    Magill wrote: »
    Yes, because Irish + N.Irish football is crap.. really no need to explain it futher than that.

It's because of people like you that it's not up to scratch.

http://nominated.homestead.com/BLUESBROTHERS.HTML ...killinator & other Irish Chelsea fans have a wee look at this page... look at the photo galleries on it.. this is the fans of the team you say youd support against the team of your own city...

& most of the other English teams are just as bad as well!

No
    It's because of people like you that it's not up to scratch.

Be fair, there's a far smaller population who can support LOI vs. english soccer leagues. It'd be better if more people supported it, but it still wouldn't compete even close to evenly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Irish Chelsea fans are my favourite.

No
    Snakeblood wrote: »
    Be fair, there's a far smaller population who can support LOI vs. english soccer leagues. It'd be better if more people supported it, but it still wouldn't compete even close to evenly.

Ah now I know that, England has 50 million people in it to support and sustain a top league, which in turn generates higher TV cash etc. See my point below on what I think the LOI would look like if people supported it.
    We would have a much better league than the SPL if they did because you wouldn't have two clubs with a monopoly on fans and it would be much more spread out. But people would rather moan about the league and exclusively support EPL teams - it's sad really.

No
    Ah now I know that, England has 50 million people in it to support and sustain a top league, which in turn generates higher TV cash etc. See my point below on what I think the LOI would look like if people supported it.

Yeah, that's true. I think though, that part of the reason people like Man U or whatever is because of the quality of play. You just aren't going to get that if you can't pay decent money. And whatever the flaws of the Old Firm system of just two top teams, those teams can at least compete to some extent with the EPL in terms of players they can afford, which draws more eyes to them. If Celtic were the same level as Hibs or whoever in terms of talent in the team, then I doubt you'd get as much interest over here. It's the big fish in a small pond thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Killinator

No
    http://nominated.homestead.com/BLUESBROTHERS.HTML ...killinator & other Irish Chelsea fans have a wee look at this page... look at the photo galleries on it.. this is the fans of the team you say youd support against the team of your own city...

Because your beloved Celtic is clean from this sort...........
    oh actually:

There is plenty more linked on Youtube for you,
    But then again I doubt you were naive enough to believe it doesn't happen at the club you support, you just ignored it because its convenient,

Put plainly, those yobs you've linked me too have nothing to do with me and I never want anything to do with them, why would I,
    Are those signing about the IRA and terrorist attacks at Celtic representative of you?
    If the answer is No, then don't assume I want any aligning with those sh*ts just because they see a football club as a way of kicking off,
    If the answer is yes, then congratulations, you're a football hooligan.

I don't go for patriotism in my sport, if it were up to Ireland's dead patriots none of us would be aloud play let alone watch a British game, so I'll leave all that Irish vs Brit crap where it belongs,
    Also my mother is English;)

Because your beloved Celtic is clean from this sort...........
    oh actually:

There is plenty more linked on Youtube for you,
    But then again I doubt you were naive enough to believe it doesn't happen at the club you support, you just ignored it because its convenient,

Put plainly, those yobs you've linked me too have nothing to do with me and I never want anything to do with them, why would I,
    Are those signing about the IRA and terrorist attacks at Celtic representative of you?
    If the answer is No, then don't assume I want any aligning with those sh*ts just because they see a football club as a way of kicking off,
    If the answer is yes, then congratulations, you're a football hooligan.

I don't go for patriotism in my sport, if it were up to Ireland's dead patriots none of us would be aloud play let alone watch a British game, so I'll leave all that Irish vs Brit crap where it belongs,
    Also my mother is English;)
    Celtic have a minute hooligan support who are hated by there general support. We have won awards all over Europe for our behaviour including the 2003 UEFA Fair play award.
    Do i have problems with our fans signing republican songs?? No... because im republican myself & have done so many times at football games & will do so in the future... as for terrorist well thats an insult to Irish republicanism but thats for another thread.

This is about why Irish people shouldnt support english teams..ive posted that i think its wrong (amongst other reasons) because of many English fans anti-Irishness & in case of the team you support EXTREME anti-Irishness
    You have posted a video of Celtic fans singing rebel songs ..in defiance of the very team you support`s extreme anti-Irishness.

No
    What's wrong with singing the Boys of the Old Brigade and such? Nothing. Sing them loud and sing them proud.

Celtic have some of the best fans on the planet, as the UEFA Cup final showed. 80,000 people and not one arrest and awarded with awards from UEFA and FIFA for our behaviour.

Ohhh Celtic sing republican songs about 1916, so what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No

You clearly have next to no knowledge of English football culture.

Unlike your native Scotland, the majority of the support base are not stuck in the dark ages when it comes to the mix between politics and football. Most football supporters (with the exception of maybe Liverpool fans) have no interest in mixing the mundane politics of everyday life with the Premier League.

Maybe if you lot could stop using and tarnishing national flags, religious sects and ethnic backgrounds then maybe your league wouldn't be quite so lopsided, uninviting, and frankly dull to so many people.

To say that "most of the other English teams are just as bad as well" is not only a display of your ignorance but it is also very insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

No
    What's wrong with singing the Boys of the Old Brigade and such? Nothing. Sing them loud and sing them proud.

Celtic have some of the best fans on the planet, as the UEFA Cup final showed. 80,000 people and not one arrest and awarded with awards from UEFA and FIFA for our behaviour.

Ohhh Celtic sing republican songs about 1916, so what!

I could accept this view if your lot didn't react so indignantly to the singing of anti-IRA songs. As it is, you shoulder half the responsibility for the problems in Scottish football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    I struggle to understand why so many Irish are interested in various British sporting teams.

theres no sense of patriotism in ireland. proven time and time again. queen coming over here and your average persons opinion proved that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Do you support any British sports teams?

No. I would have absolutely no interest in the overhyped commercial tripe with its obscenely paid "stars" (and their supposedly interesting private lives) that is British soccer.

It really is incredible that some people take it as sport anymore.

Even without that, this commercial soccer isn't a patch on the action which I'll find in my local GAA pitch, not to mention the craic and banter between people who have known each other all their lives and remember matches from generations ago and associate families with games and heroes who played for our area for years. The wit, comments and screams are therapy for the listeners as well as the screamers.

It is a truly brilliant part of Irish culture to be able to go down to the local hurling/football pitch and take part in this aspect of our community which has been part of our community since time immemorial. That's real tradition.

Following British soccer instead of GAA is akin to leaving a beautiful, cultured, talented woman and shacking up with an ugly, cultureless, talentless one.

• Advertisement

my reply in bold
    You clearly have next to no knowledge of English football culture.

Unlike your native Scotland, the majority of the support base are not stuck in the dark ages yeah we see that whenever Eng-er-land travel abroad dont we..how they adapt so eloquently to other cultures & mingle with the locals all having a jolly good time:rolleyes:

when it comes to the mix between politics and football. Most football supporters (with the exception of maybe Liverpool fans) have no interest in mixing the mundane politics of everyday life with the Premier League.thats their choice...& im intrigued how exactly do liverpool do this?
    but yes i agree english teams are merely teams representing their city/town which is why i dont understand people from a country where England has done so much damage supporting these towns/cities

Maybe if you lot could stop using and tarnishing national flags, religious sects and ethnic backgrounds then maybe your league wouldn't be quite so lopsided, uninviting, and frankly dull to so many people.
    how many teams have won the EPL in the last 20 years.. your league is nearly as lopsided as the SPL & having been to the manchester derby 3 or 4 seasons back the atmosphere was akin to going to the cinema! booooooring...& how does our teams fans stop flying the eire flag improve the game up in Scotland..you could actually argue that its the hatred between the old firm that has kept the SPL a touch above the welsh or "Northern Irish" league for example
    To say that "most of the other English teams are just as bad as well" is not only a display of your ignorance but it is also very insulting.
    truth hurts??

No
    my reply in bold
    truth hurts??
    Your 'truth' doesn't hurt, well me personally anyway,
    I never heard any anti Irish stuff sung inside of Stamford Bridge, not even from the Matthew Harding stand which I was in,
    No, all I heard was football related chants and songs......which is why I support Chelsea, for football and family reasons,
    I have not and will never support Chelsea for any republican/anti-republican reason as it has NOTHING to do with football,
    Maybe you should care less about Celtic's republican history and care more about their football, or does that take the fun out of it

Truth hurts!....see I can say it too.:rolleyes:

Also I will openly say I care more about a Chelsea run of the mill league game than I do either the hurling of football championship finals, I accept that for some they are an integral part of Irish society but for me it means nothing more than a small colloquial sport which holds relatively little attention outside this country,
    I'm sorry if people find that offensive(not overly sorry mind) but that's my opinion , just like some people hate golf, or cricket, or F1, etc, etc.....

Your 'truth' doesn't hurt, well me personally anyway,
    I never heard any anti Irish stuff sung inside of Stamford Bridge, not even from the Matthew Harding stand which I was in,
    No, all I heard was football related chants and songs......which is why I support Chelsea, for football and family reasons,
    I have not and will never support Chelsea for any republican/anti-republican reason as it has NOTHING to do with football,
    Maybe you should care less about Celtic's republican history and care more about their football, or does that take the fun out of it

Truth hurts!....see I can say it too.:rolleyes:

Also I will openly say I care more about a Chelsea run of the mill league game than I do either the hurling of football championship finals, I accept that for some they are an integral part of Irish society but for me it means nothing more than a small colloquial sport which holds relatively little attention outside this country,
    I'm sorry if people find that offensive(not overly sorry mind) but that's my opinion , just like some people hate golf, or cricket, or F1, etc, etc.....
    Well my reply wasnt to you it was too london Irish.. no the Republican songs are part of the fun to be had as a Celtic supporter but theres also plenty of Celtic fans that arent Irish or Republican,,so dont like them & dont join in..there choice.. im not doubting you have never heard those chants at stamford bridge but as my link earlier showed you theres a nasty hardcore support at the club you support that indulge in not only extreme anti-Irishness but Nazism too

& if they ever do draw an Irish club you will see the true colours of these combat 18 morons..fair enough you might have a family link to them but i think your average Irishman knows nothing about the poison at the core of the chelsea support & thats why to me it looks baffling to see them togged up in Chelsea gear...

Also i dont remember ever seeing Chelsea tops over here ever in Ireland when i was younger..

Your average Irish EPL fan is nothing but a glory hunter... is there anything more embarssing than going into your local pub just to hear 2 guys from the same county(& town usually) arguing about "we" this & "we" that in reference to (usually) Manchester or Liverpool?

Can you imagine two full English blood English guys in a wetherspoons in an English city arguing with each other "oi Jonathan we Dubs are gonna kick your fackin asses in the All-Ireland Mate ..you Kerry scum!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

No
    I support Northern Ireland as well as the Republic and all the UK nations except England.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,829 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    Manchester United fan through and through. I started as a Beckham fan at the age of 6 and it has just gone from there. I was born in Britain so I suppose I'm not too bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

No
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Irish Chelsea fans are my favourite.

:confused:

No
    but as my link earlier showed you theres a nasty hardcore support at the club you support that indulge in not only extreme anti-Irishness but Nazism too

& if they ever do draw an Irish club you will see the true colours of these combat 18 morons..fair enough you might have a family link to them but i think your average Irishman knows nothing about the poison at the core of the chelsea support & thats why to me it looks baffling to see them togged up in Chelsea gear...

Also i dont remember ever seeing Chelsea tops over here ever in Ireland when i was younger..

I can see you have your beliefs about your club and I can deal with that,

But I think its a bit much to say that the core of the Chelsea support is poison!
    Again, these scumbags associate themselves with everything and anything, given Chelsea FC was formed as a club to fill a vacant Stamford Bridge I don't see how the anti-republican types could be seen as the core of the club support,
    I don't say that Liverpool's club support is nothing but hooligans at its core despite the culture that overshadowed the club(and most other British clubs) in the 80's and early 90's,
    Equally I don't insist that that the core of the Celtic fan-base is made up of anti-British, IRA supporting terrorists,
    Lazio and Galatasary's fans have equally bad reps but it doesn't mean that the entire basis of either clubs support is racism or hooliganism,
    The bad 'supporters' always grab the headlines!

Also I will agree it was incredibly difficult to get a Chelsea shirt in the 90's:D

No
    mars bar wrote: »
    Manchester United fan through and through. I started as a Beckham fan at the age of 6 and it has just gone from there. I was born in Britain so I suppose I'm not too bad...

Never knew that Mars :)

I can see you have your beliefs about your club and I can deal with that,

But I think its a bit much to say that the core of the Chelsea support is poison!
    Again, these scumbags associate themselves with everything and anything, given Chelsea FC was formed as a club to fill a vacant Stamford Bridge I don't see how the anti-republican types could be seen as the core of the club support,
    I don't say that Liverpool's club support is nothing but hooligans at its core despite the culture that overshadowed the club(and most other British clubs) in the 80's and early 90's,
    Equally I don't insist that that the core of the Celtic fan-base is made up of anti-British, IRA supporting terrorists,
    Lazio and Galatasary's fans have equally bad reps but it doesn't mean that the entire basis of either clubs support is racism or hooliganism,
    The bad 'supporters' always grab the headlines!

Also I will agree it was incredibly difficult to get a Chelsea shirt in the 90's:D
    Fair enough your being reasonable there & i will say that i think the Chelsea support has shifted somewhat from the 80s when there was a real big problem amongst there fans..as well as others..there is still that poisounous element however that is still there at Chelsea & the links to Rangers & Linfield do them no favours at all in my eyes..but then i would say that ;)

• Advertisement

No
    Fair enough your being reasonable there & i will say that i think the Chelsea support has shifted somewhat from the 80s when there was a real big problem amongst there fans..as well as others..there is still that poisounous element however that is still there at Chelsea & the links to Rangers & Linfield do them no favours at all in my eyes..but then i would say that ;)

Completely... very different kind of fan now in general

Advertisement