Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC Pool C: Ireland vs USA Eagles, Sun 11 Sep 7am; Pre/During/Post Match Thread.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Right lads, I'm going to be out on Sat night, and the chances of me getting up at 7, or staying up till 7, are slim!

Will this be shown in full anywhere around the 11-1 time bracket on Sunday??

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

USA
    wixfjord wrote: »
    Right lads, I'm going to be out on Sat night, and the chances of me getting up at 7, or staying up till 7, are slim!

Will this be shown in full anywhere around the 11-1 time bracket on Sunday??

*Shakes head in disappointment*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

You realise he meant that he could see Downey going to Munster, right? At first, I read it as D'Arcy going to Munster... Downey is the last thing Munster need, another crash-ball merchant at 12 would be a step backwards and the IRFU aren't going to facilitate it with a central contract.

Ah, misread it as D'Arcy to Munster. Still though, Downey to Munster would be a terrible move, as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Right.. off to bed at 11am. My attempt to try and re-jig my sleeping schedule to be up for every single game.. LOIKE TOTES UBER HYPED for it now. Ireland to scrape by the USA and get thumped by the aussies. South Africa for the cup.:D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

some_dose wrote: »
    *Shakes head in disappointment*

Haha, there will be some seriously narky posts in here if I do manage to get up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ireland by less than 20
    GerM wrote: »
    All aboard the rumour train.

Supposed team that is being posted on LF:

Murphy, Bowe, BOD, D'Arcy, Earls, Sexton, Murray
    Court, Best, Ross, DOC, POC, Ferris, Jennings, Heaslip

Subs: Fla, Buckley, Ryan, Leamy, Reddan, Rog, Trimble

I think O'Brien will definitely start this Sunday, he's fully fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

best and only chance to let Murray have a competitive game before we might need him and have no choice but to play him though!

Specious* thought process there Emmet.
    *checks dictionary; specious is correct word, proceeds with post

If the objective is to give Murray game time in case he's needed, then
    yes, now is the only time to do it.
    SURELY it's a far more pressing concern that we get our first-choicers onto the pitch and playing together for some decent game-time than worrying about the ifs and maybes of who might be needed. I think I worked out that Reddan and Sexton have had 16 minutes together since the HC final. That's not good enough.

Unless Murray has been so good in training (and Reddan so poor?) that he is now the first choice...

Ireland by less than 20
    I've simply turned the corner and am now getting optimistic about things.

Trying to put a silver lining on the constant cloudery of Kidney's tinkering.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭flynninio

Ireland by 20-40
    i think kidney is def going pull few suprises. murray i kinda agree with tryinh against usa but then again if we dont batter them he will be vilified for this. Earls has been out of position in warm ups but his defence has always worried me. but this game mite suit him as it should open up and we can get some tries. Is there bonus points on offer?

o brien comment"if there isnt a hole i will make one" was class.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

USA
    I've simply turned the corner and am now getting optimistic about things.

Trying to put a silver lining on the constant cloudery of Kidney's tinkering.

Ditto. Was just saying last night that after what the lads have been saying about having stuff up their sleeve etc is making me far less nervous than I had been. I've belief in these players so I'm looking forward to Sunday again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Ireland by less than 20
    flynninio wrote: »
    i think kidney is def going pull few suprises. murray i kinda agree with tryinh against usa but then again if we dont batter them he will be vilified for this. Earls has been out of position in warm ups but his defence has always worried me. but this game mite suit him as it should open up and we can get some tries. Is there bonus points on offer?

o brien comment"if there isnt a hole i will make one" was class.

There is a bonus point for scoring 4 Tries same as in the H-Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ireland by less than 20
    Only a few days to go and i getting more excited now about it. I do think this team have some moves up their sleeves as we saw very little backline set pieces in the warm ups. I think they are holding them back.

Well thats my story and sticking with it.

Come on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

USA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54W2aomHWfA

Might have brought a tear, while just watching it in the office.

However, am now too pumped of adrenalin about Sunday to do any work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

USA
    chris85 wrote: »
    Only a few days to go and i getting more excited now about it. I do think this team have some moves up their sleeves as we saw very little backline set pieces in the warm ups. I think they are holding them back.

Well thats my story and sticking with it.

Come on Ireland.

Jesus I hope so. We had very little penetration. Not so long ago we used to have great moves off great lineout ball but the lineout has been brutal lately.

Just watching SA v Fiji from 2007 on setanta. Forgot Fiji were playing that good then. Reckon Tonga will knock the **** outta NZ as well. Almost happy we have Italy instead of one of the heavy hitting polynesian teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ireland by less than 20
    Hmmm...hope this is just giving Earls one last chance as opposed to him being ahead of Trimble. Though with Trimble playing all 4 warm-ups I guess he doesn't need the game to be match fit anyway. Would be surprised if SOB is omitted if fully fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Hmmm...hope this is just giving Earls one last chance as opposed to him being ahead of Trimble. Though with Trimble playing all 4 warm-ups I guess he doesn't need the game to be match fit anyway. Would be surprised if SOB is omitted if fully fit.

O'Brien's coming back from an injury, so I think it's more an issue of keeping him safe for the Aus game.

I think the Earls selection could go either way. Earls could play really well and then add a little competition to the back 3, inspiring Trimble a little more. Or else he could end up playing poorly and Trimble might lose a bit of momentum and both players could be harmed by it.

Most interesting to me is the selection at 10. If Sexton plays well, does it cement his place for the Aus game? Will ROG be selected for that game regardless based on his warm-up performances? Really up in the air, I'm happy either way.

Ireland by less than 20
    Most interesting to me is the selection at 10. If Sexton plays well, does it cement his place for the Aus game? Will ROG be selected for that game regardless based on his warm-up performances? Really up in the air, I'm happy either way.

I said before that I expect whoever starts against USA to start against Aus and I'd stick with that. Considering how awful the backline has been so far it would make absolutely no sense to start Sexton now and then revert to ROG against Aus. It would kill any momentum or familiarity the backline develops. That's looks like as much of a first team as they are willing/able to risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

USA
    I said before that I expect whoever starts against USA to start against Aus and I'd stick with that. Considering how awful the backline has been so far it would make absolutely no sense to start Sexton now and then revert to ROG against Aus. It would kill any momentum or familiarity the backline develops. That's looks like as much of a first team as they are willing/able to risk.

Yep, I would be really really surprised if they changed OH from the USA to the Aus game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Unless there are some outstanding/awful performances I don't see much if any changes either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ireland by less than 20
    The US and Ireland are wearing black armbands to remember 9/11 on Sunday apparently. That's nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Ireland by less than 20
    The team is being announced at 1:15am. I'm gonna stay up and see it before heading to bed. Does anyone know if there's a live stream to it? Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ireland by less than 20
    Conas wrote: »
    The team is being announced at 1:15am. I'm gonna stay up and see it before heading to bed. Does anyone know if there's a live stream to it? Cheers guys.

Is it 1.15 or 2.15? I saw 2.15 on twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Ireland by less than 20
    Murray, Flannery to start, sob to be rested

Ireland by less than 20
    Hugh Cahill's team from 'whispers' down under

Murphy; Bowe, O’Driscoll, McFadden, Trimble; Sexton, Reddan;

Court, Flannery, Ross; O’Callaghan, O’Connell; Ferris, O’Brien, Heaslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland by less than 20
    theboss80 wrote: »
    Hugh Cahill's team from 'whispers' down under

Murphy; Bowe, O’Driscoll, McFadden, Trimble; Sexton, Reddan;

Court, Flannery, Ross; O’Callaghan, O’Connell; Ferris, O’Brien, Heaslip.

I would be happy enough with that selection, but all the media thinks Murray will start!

Ireland by less than 20
    Hugh Farrellys Team to play

Murphy , Bowe , BOD , ? , Trimble , Sexton , Murray

Heaslip , Jennings , Ferris , POC ,DOC , Ross , Best , Court

Ireland by less than 20
    I think we can take from this that basically they don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland by less than 20

aye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Correct; some sources in these posts would be a help, at this point it's total speculation. Besides, I wouldn't take Hugh Farrelly's word for anything, Brendan Fanning has seemed to be the journo with his finger on the pulse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

USA
    So is it 1:15 or 2:15 for the announcement? anyone got anything confirmed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement