Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas stuff in the shops now

Options
  • 03-09-2011 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Thought this deserved a thread of its own. Mince pies in Marks and Spencers today, only a few boxes but strategically placed in the store, not in-your-face BUT in the stores! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

AND Christmas cake... and christmas boxes of biscuits...
    (in M&S today) it's all creeping in! (which is good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

star-pants wrote: »
    AND Christmas cake... and christmas boxes of biscuits...
    (in M&S today) it's all creeping in! (which is good)

Ooooh, I MISSED those! :eek: I was very tempted to bring one box of pies ... just to see how they tasted, like, for research purposes! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

A few christmas boxsets were rolled out today in HMV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Also noticed a lot of 'best of' album ads on TV - John Barrowman, Beatles, etc
    These are always advertised for the Christmas market.

Bring it on!! :D (the ads I mean, not necessarily the dodgy albums*)

*Beatles not included, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

flutegirl wrote: »
    Ooooh, I MISSED those! :eek: I was very tempted to bring one box of pies ... just to see how they tasted, like, for research purposes! ;)
    OK guys n' gals, you've pushed me over the edge! I'm off to make Mince Pies. :D

ps - Tesco have tins of sweets on BOGOF at the moment - two for 12.49. I begged & pleaded with my o/h to let me purchase on Sunday night and ws met with much eye-rolling and tutting. When I put forward the "we can have them for Christmas!" arguement I just got a flat out "No!"

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    OK guys n' gals, you've pushed me over the edge! I'm off to make Mince Pies. :D

ps - Tesco have tins of sweets on BOGOF at the moment - two for 12.49. I begged & pleaded with my o/h to let me purchase on Sunday night and ws met with much eye-rolling and tutting. When I put forward the "we can have them for Christmas!" arguement I just got a flat out "No!"

Ah, now, you know the put-them-away-for-christmas theory doesn't work! But I might have to check out tesco just to have a look see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

I can't understand Tesco's logic with their BOGOF "Offers"!

Those Tins of sweets that are BOGOF now @ 12.49 were priced @ 4.00euro each last November when they were competing with Supervalu and Dunnes with their similar "competitive" price offers.

I know this for a fact as I bought 3 tins last year and it came to 12.00 in total.

Just a heads up just incase anyone is thinking of stocking up for Christmas now, I would wait until they are at a better price. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

Thought this deserved a thread of its own. Mince pies in Marks and Spencers today, only a few boxes but strategically placed in the store, not in-your-face BUT in the stores! :D

MMMMMM :) Craving Mince Pies and Hot Chocolate now..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't understand Tesco's logic with their BOGOF "Offers"!
    Those Tins of sweets that are BOGOF now @ 12.49 were priced @ 4.00euro each last November when they were competing with Supervalu and Dunnes with their similar "competitive" price offers.
    I seen them the other day and thought "Those tins were NOT €12.49 when I got them last Christmas- bold tesco!" :p

Hmm.. tins of roses. I must start my Christmas hamper asap!!

Posy wrote: »
    I seen them the other day and thought "Those tins were NOT €12.49 when I got them last Christmas- bold tesco!" :p

Hmm.. tins of roses. I must start my Christmas hamper asap!!

I do the same with the Afternoon Tea tins. We only ever have these at Christmas (mad price at other times :eek: ) and I wait until November time until the price wars start. Dunnes brought them down to 8.99e (something like that) and I was like 'Yes! buy, buy, buy!' So, yeah, it's worth hanging on for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

I remember last year when the things of sweets came out first there were proced at a high price and the offer was buy one get one free. Then it went they went half price and then about 60% off. It all depends on what the supermarkets are doing!

I do the same with the Afternoon Tea tins. We only ever have these at Christmas (mad price at other times :eek: ) and I wait until November time until the price wars start. Dunnes brought them down to 8.99e (something like that) and I was like 'Yes! buy, buy, buy!' So, yeah, it's worth hanging on for a bit.
    You should be a stockbroker. "Chocolate Kimberleys are NOT going any lower, buy NOW, NOW!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 opendoor2

Yes, christmas season is coming ,are you ready for it?

Posy wrote: »
    You should be a stockbroker. "Chocolate Kimberleys are NOT going any lower, buy NOW, NOW!!" :D

LOL! Some might say I'm just a tight wad! :o

I saw a Christmas ad on TV briefly the other night. It had a talking turkey and a Christmas tree. I think it was for buying Christmas stuff early. Will keep an eye out for it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Tried a mince pie in M&S today, girl serving them was laughing with me, saying she'd eat them any time of year :)
    They had their wrapping paper and cards out already.

Inspiring Ideas (craft type shop) had a small Christmas section with boxes and santas (tempted but far too expensive).

My mother said yesterday they had baubles in some shop and she heard a small child say to his mother 'is it Christmas tomorrow?' pointing at them lol

Tried a mince pie in M&S today, girl serving them was laughing with me, saying she'd eat them any time of year :)

Inspiring Ideas (craft type shop) had a small Christmas section with boxes and santas (tempted but far too expensive).

My mother said yesterday they had baubles in some shop and she heard a small child say to his mother 'is it Christmas tomorrow?' pointing at them lol

Awwwww! But yes, it should be Christmas everyday! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Awwwww! But yes, it should be Christmas everyday! ;)

Cue Wizard song! ;-)

Spotted in my local Super Valu today: Christmas stockings for pets! AND 'Merry Pringles' crisps, Roast Turkey and Pigs in Blankets flavours, €1 a tube so we bought some! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Todds in Limerick have some nice Christmas decorations on the 2nd floor just as you come up the stairs.

Yaaaaay, it's coming, Christmas is coming!!!!

I laughed out loud at this! :D

I finally got into Brown Thomas on Wednesday - :eek: The Christmas section is small but perfectly formed - stunning decorations and I fell in love with a little musical television but couldn't aford the €65.
    They had a fabulous set of lantern lights that flickered - very nostalgic. Years ago my late Dad arrived home with a set of Lantern & Stagecoach lights - haven't been able to replace them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Aldi brochure this week has Christmas baking stuff.

OK lads, NOW I know it's official! Just picked up 1 Glade "Glistening Snow" and 1 Airwick "Mulled Wine & Crackling Fire" candle in Tesco - both half price at the moment!:D

washiskin wrote: »
    OK lads, NOW I know it's official! Just picked up 1 Glade "Glistening Snow" and 1 Airwick "Mulled Wine & Crackling Fire" candle in Tesco - both half price at the moment!:D

Oh my god must pick some of them up!!

Was in TK Maxx and they had a tiny section with Christmas cards (gorgeous illustrations), some glass baubles and really expensive Advent calenders (the wooden box type - the little boxes had ceramic decorations).

I got my pet rabbit a red teddy bear - I think it was a Christmas decoration! :D

I can't believe Glade has those candles! I remember I started the "Seeing Christmas out of Season" thread while still seeing those ads on TV! It doesnt seem so long ago now :)

Was in TK Maxx and they had a tiny section with Christmas cards (gorgeous illustrations), some glass baubles and really expensive Advent calenders (the wooden box type - the little boxes had ceramic decorations).

I got my pet rabbit a red teddy bear - I think it was a Christmas decoration! :D

I can't believe Glade has those candles! I remember I started the "Seeing Christmas out of Season" thread while still seeing those ads on TV! It doesnt seem so long ago now :)

I love the ads for the glade candles - so warm and cosy and Christmassy!:D

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I love the ads for the glade candles - so warm and cosy and Christmassy!:D

Not exactly what you're looking for, but this is a lovely US ad. Much more exotic that what we're used to!

Advertisement