Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

headphones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I was just saying if people wanted a pair of beats but didnt want to fork out on the proper ones

But they're not a pair of Beats. Why pay for a cheap piece of plastic liable to break any time.

When I buy anything, be it a laptop or clothes, I would generally be willing to pay an extra 15-20% to ensure that the quality is of the highest standard. That way I'll save myself having to unnecessarily buy another laptop or pair of jeans in a few months time. But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

do da studio beats by dre use batteries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

ye im pretty sure they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    ye im pretty sure they do.
    for what reason da ya know? buyin batteries would just annoy me

from what i can work out the batteries are needed to activate the noise cancellation, for every day use such as just walking to/from collage/work im not sure you would need to use noise cancellation, meaning you would get ages out of the batteries.

btw im open to be put right as im not 100% sure on tha, why not ask in hmv or any where they are sold?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

From a review site:
    Those unfamiliar with the Beats Studio will be taken aback by the included batteries. Why do headphones need batteries? Well the Beats Studio use the batteries for both amplification purposes and to power the integrated noise canceling circuitry.
    Unfortunately — and this is a huge downside for the Beats Studio — the headphones only work with batteries installed and the noise canceling switch flipped on. There is no passive setting devoid of noise canceling that does not need battery power. You cannot use them at all without batteries.
    You will need to keep a drawer full of AAA batteries on hand. Okay I am exaggerating a bit, but an active user will need to replace batteries every 2 weeks with a moderate user replacing them every month. Of course, if you forget to turn off the headphones one night the batteries will need replacing much sooner.

Pretty good review: http://paulstamatiou.com/review-beats-studio-by-dr-dre-and-monster-noise-canceling-headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

I picked myself up a pair of a-jays 4 last night for £40 in London.

They are in ear headphones very similar to the beats by dre tour.

Had the Tours last year and they kept breaking, very poor quality make altough the sound was unreal. These new A-jays seem exactly the same the sound is crisp and clear and the base is deadly! Have the flat ribbon cable to so no tangling with wires. Anyone lookin at in ear headphone should have a quick look at them before splashing out 180 on a brand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

to be honest lads the whole battery thing would actually put me of buying beats, i dont want to go through the hassle of buying batteries every so often because if i had them i would use them most days of the week for at least an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Shylock16

I had a pair of beats. they brake VERY easily . also one side stopped working . there good but over priced and not made out of great materials .

Shylock16 wrote: »
    I had a pair of beats. they brake VERY easily . also one side stopped working . there good but over priced and not made out of great materials .
    Do they really break easily or were you just unlucky, personally feel they have the potential to break if treated heavy handedily.
    But then that's the same for everything.

I have a pair, my second set now and on both occasions now the same thing has happened, which I mentioned above.

While in hmv today mentioned it and guy said if I had receipt they would exchange, if I do have receipt(think I don't)I may opt for the studio's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Shylock16 wrote: »

What broke? If one side stopped working surely it would be covered by warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

Sennheiser HD380.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I tried the medium sized beats today in store and was not impressed at all really, they sounded low on the same volume off the same ipod as my other earphones (10 euro JVC bigger over ear ones).

Bought in ear sennheiser (never heard of them before) (cx299 apparently) and they are quite good - the sound differs a lot depending on what size buds you put on them.

i imagine they didnt sound good because they were an in store set, more than likely to do with wear and tear, dont let a set thats been mishandled and bashed around be the set that you judge them on, get a hold of a decent set thats been well looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

akg k701's from thomann

cant get a better even response for 200notes

and i have the beats(the big bwats when they first came out not those crap solo's) and i prefer the 701's. big bass is great but id rather hear music as its intended

anyone got the Sony MDR-570 headphones?

constantly @ #2 or 3 in stuff magazines monthly top ten head phones, pretty cheap as well, think they run at about 25 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yulkmn

im lookin to get a new pair of headphones, so could ye recommend me a pair? at da mo im usin sony in ear headphones, i find em pretty good but i think there might be something better out there. thanks
    Your best beat would be to get dr dre beats ! Anyones there all brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Beats by Dr.Dre is not worthy at all. Have a look here
    http://www.head-fi.org/f/

ye but those of us who actually have them beg to differ.

• Advertisement

kave2 wrote: »
    Beats by Dr.Dre is not worthy at all.

I forked out the money for Beats and I'm more than happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

As I have said I only tried (one pair of a few types) of beats for around a minute in a shop and I didnt particularly like them.

But if people think they are worth it, well then they are worth it to them much like with laptops, smartphones, bluray, consoles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

went into harvey normans today to have a look at the dre beats, i was impressed by the studio's didn't try the solo's as i just didn't like the build quality id honestly see myself breaking them.

but what i really was impressed with was the marley headphones brilliant sound from them they were actually on par with dre studios, they look pretty class aswell come in loads of different styles, they were set up by bob marleys family as far as i know.

the top of the range pair which from what i can gather on the internet go for about 200 euros but harvey norman were selling them of for 70 euro, they also have to use batteries to activate the noise cancellation function.

il have the money next week for a pair so at the moment im leaning towards the Marley headphones, im not patient enough to wait for 50's new headphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

ye but those of us who actually have them beg to differ.

Well you paid €300 for the sound that comes out of your headphones. You could have gotten some Sennheiser HD380's for 97 sterling on amazon which sound the same IMO, bar slight differences. (such as Beats being very bass heavy)

Beats was released to hook in people who never spend more than €50 on a pair of headphones before, hell €20-€30 for some people. Dre goes on about the music "you don't hear on ordinary headphones" and what you missed out on. Well I think for a whole lot of Beats buyers it'd be their very first time spending big. And what they don't know is the higher end you go the less you get from your cans by just plugging them into your iPod. You need an amplifier to power them up to get the most potential.

I have listened to many headphones before, and Beats sound like heaphones that cost €150, tops. They just use the glamour, the "style" of the headphones (see those football players/celebrities wearing them?) and Dre's input to increase their worth much more than what the actual electronics of the headphones cost. The sound is good indeed, an awful lot better than headphones that cost €20-€30, or €50. But the headphones shouldn't cost near €300 IMO.

HovaBaby wrote: »
    They just use the glamour, the "style" of the headphones (see those football players/celebrities wearing them?) and Dre's input to increase their worth much more than what the actual electronics of the headphones cost.

That's exactly it. The celebrity endorsements, countless famous clients, fashionable design and better than average sound quality are all part of the image that Beats have created. All of the pointless stuff like athletes wearing them and the headphones that double as a fashion accessory is essentially what you're paying the premium for. This image is what draws most of their customers in and what makes a person that could never see themselves spending more than €20 on headphones think twice. Beats is fast becoming a household name, something that Sennheiser will never be. Sennheiser is better value if all you care about is the sound quality, but if you want the style, the brand, the celebrity endorsement, etc. on top of that then Beats are the headphones for you, that's why they're the market leader by a huge, huge margin.

HovaBaby wrote: »
    Well you paid €300 for the sound that comes out of your headphones. You could have gotten some Sennheiser HD380's for 97 sterling on amazon which sound the same IMO, bar slight differences. (such as Beats being very bass heavy)

Beats was released to hook in people who never spend more than €50 on a pair of headphones before, hell €20-€30 for some people. Dre goes on about the music "you don't hear on ordinary headphones" and what you missed out on. Well I think for a whole lot of Beats buyers it'd be their very first time spending big. And what they don't know is the higher end you go the less you get from your cans by just plugging them into your iPod. You need an amplifier to power them up to get the most potential.

I have listened to many headphones before, and Beats sound like heaphones that cost €150, tops. They just use the glamour, the "style" of the headphones (see those football players/celebrities wearing them?) and Dre's input to increase their worth much more than what the actual electronics of the headphones cost. The sound is good indeed, an awful lot better than headphones that cost €20-€30, or €50. But the headphones shouldn't cost near €300 IMO.
    i have the solo's, not the studio's.

theres a thing that happens when some people think about consumers, certain people think those of us who buy apple or beats are being duped, because were only buying the product because we seen some celebrity wearing them.
    the same people name other brands which are both hugely cheaper and better.
    thats fine, your entitled to your opinion, but your not entitled to tell me why i bought a certain product, your not entitled to tell me im dumb enough to hand out a fair chunk of money without doing some research.

are they over priced, ye probably, but they are a quality product, in both style and sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Cant believe nobody has recommended Audio Technica ATH M50 Cans yet. They are roughly €150, Closed Back Headphones so no sound leakage which is an essential if you plan on using them anywhere but a dead quiet room. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000P62ND6

They have very responsive bass (especially responsive for closed back Headphones), and great Isolation. They also have no noise cancellation, so none of that very feint static in the background. They don't run off batteries and have a choise of coiled or straight chord.

I can't recommend them enough. Whole forum on them here with 99% Rave Reviews. No better Value for money Cans on the Market in my opinion (and many others).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/168217-audio-technica-ath-m50-headphones-awesome.html

You would be mental to buy the Studio Beats by Dre.

1. THE PRICE... My God what a rip off.
    2. Build Quality... Headband known to crack on Older Models
    3. Glorified overpowered Bass...They dont let you hear a true reflection of how the person who recorded the music wanted you to hear it.
    4. Batteries... will be a pain in the arse WHEN (Not If) One Day you're listening to em and you run out of batteries and don't have replacements with you.
    5. THE PRICE... I know I already said that but can not state enough what a rip off they really are.

There's my 2 cents anyway.

its funny, if you read any gadget/music based magazine the beats are always placed at either 1 or 2 in the top ten head phones, have been for a few years now.
    people whose job it is to rate products rate the beats that high.
    thats why i bought them, unfortunately i avoided people on forums whose opinion was based on a minutes worth of listening in hmv.

the quality is undeniable, thats a fact, but lets be honest, yes they are expensive but if your spending upward of €150 YOU are being ripped off as well.
    everyone who has given an alternative to beats, talking about how expensive the beats are, have suggested alternatives in and around the €150 mark.

how can you slate a product based on price and then recommend a product equally as expensive.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

the quality is undeniable, thats a fact, but lets be honest, yes they are expensive but if your spending upward of €150 YOU are being ripped off as well.
    everyone who has given an alternative to beats, talking about how expensive the beats are, have suggested alternatives in and around the €150 mark.

how can you slate a product based on price and then recommend a product equally as expensive.:confused:

In what world do you live where €150 is equally as expensive as €280???

You can't say they are roughly the same price just because both are over €150 which would be expensive to average Joe buying headphones. The Beats are nearly twice the price of the ATH M50's and are definitely an inferior product to almost anyone who knows their headphones.

Go to Head-Fi or Gearslutz online and you'll see the thousands of people who agree. Im not just talking about ATH M50's, most Headphones mentioned in this thread are superior to the Beats.

Marketing works on some people and they try to be fashionable and in with the "cool product" . If this is what you want from your €300 Headphones, then do buy the beats. Ill stick with the ones that are half the price and twice the quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

pioneer hdj,s

got my gf a set for her decks cost me 65 of ebay...

brilliant piece of kit...

pioneer are market leaders in all music eqipment

Advertisement