Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

headphones

Options
  • 03-09-2011 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

im lookin to get a new pair of headphones, so could ye recommend me a pair? at da mo im usin sony in ear headphones, i find em pretty good but i think there might be something better out there. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

im lookin to get a new pair of headphones, so could ye recommend me a pair? at da mo im usin sony in ear headphones, i find em pretty good but i think there might be something better out there. thanks

im in the same boat, there's a few beats by dre going 2nd hand on donedeal if your interested.

anyone here recommend beats by dre are they worth it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Beats are fierce over priced, even second hand, you can get better cans for 1/4 the price.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Beats are fierce over priced, even second hand, you can get better cans for 1/4 the price.

can you recommend a decent set for a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

If you buy proper expensive earphones make sure the files are of high quality otherwise it is a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I bought the Sony MDR V500 headphones a couple of months ago. They are very good quality headphones for the price you pay. I'd recommend buying them before going off and dropping €250-300 on a pair of Beats. If you're willing to pay over €100 then you should look into the Sennheiser HD25s. They are one of the best on the market and a lot cheaper than Beats or others.

If you buy proper expensive earphones make sure the files are of high quality otherwise it is a waste of money.

I couldn't agree more with this. If you are only playing tunes on your iPod then you won't probably won't notice much difference between Beats and the Sonys I mentioned for €40. If you're a sound technician who uses high quality equipment then that's a different matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Have to agree with the above, if it's just for playback of mp3's over an iPod, then dont go all out as you'll notice how bad mp3's are. If your collection is all FLAC's then get a decent set, Beats by Dre sound great but i'm sure there are others that are cheaper and better.

I personally do alot of travelling, so I wanted something with a decent sound, portable and not so expensive so that if I loose on my travels, i wont take much of a hit in the wallet.

This is what i ended up with:

http://jzool.com/product.php?productid=19860

Very happy with them after about 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

the trouble with recommendation is it comes down to personal opinion at the end of the day, half the people who say beats by dre are over priced and not as good as people say probably only listened to them in hmv, certainly dont own a set.
    by the same token those who say they are the best out havnt listened to every set of ear phones to know properly.

personally i have the beats and id highly recommend them, even at the price they are, if you can afford them.

are they the best out, who knows tbh but they tick every box.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sennheiser HD215 , savage sound out of them and the cable is replaceable if it breaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I am an audio freak and have a pair of Sennheiser HD800's (€1000) along with an amplifier and uDAC (Digital Analog Converter), the amp and uDAC are needed to power a headphone as high spec as the HD800's, simply plugging the HD800's into an iPod won't get the best out of them. (and no i'm not a sound technician, I did this ECDL course before, handy out as I knew computers already, and I got an extra €200 a week. I was able to get the HD800's in under a month.)

But I have owned Beats by Dre before, I paid €300 for them :mad: I have owned since then a pair of Sennhesier HD380's and I found the difference in sound to be miniscule. The HD380's goes for £100 quid on amazon. Look at the reviews, they have (this from amazon.com)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-380-Pro-Collapsible-Professional/dp/B001UE6I0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315202016&sr=8-1

I'd say there is very little difference between the Sennheiser HD380's and Beats by Dre, Dre's headphones are not better. Plus the HD380's are a lot less expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Do you want this for listening to music on the go or for sitting at home?

If it's for home use and you don't want to break the bank (you didn't give us a budget) I'd highly recommend Sennheiser HD 555's. There big enough headphones so not really ideal for portable use and they're open cans so you will outside noise and if you've got the volume up people will hear the music. They are incredibly comfortable, if you plan on using them for a few hours at a time you won't suffer discomfort. You can get them on amazon for about £100 so not too steep. There's also a simple mod that can be performed to upgrade them to 595s.

If it's for portable use I'd go with Sennheiser PX200s. Well technically now they're PX200 IIs. Again great bang for your buck. Closed earphones so a lot less leaking. Work well with an mp3 player and they fold so when you're not using them they take up very little room. I know with my PX200s they had to be broken in and once they were the sound really opened on them. I think the IIs are similar in this respect although I haven't had them long enough at this stage to really decide which I prefer. One annoying aspect to these headphones in they put a volume control on the cable and it all it serves to do is get in the way. Really wish they hadn't added it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

just dont get the Logitec pieces of merde that I use in work :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

My earphones broke (again) bought two pairs from the pound shop, sounds good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

im in the same boat, there's a few beats by dre going 2nd hand on donedeal if your interested.

anyone here recommend beats by dre are they worth it?

I got a pair of Beats last year for €190 on ebay, Studio ones. I absolutely love them. Can't listen to music without them now.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I got a pair of Beats last year for €190 on ebay, Studio ones. I absolutely love them. Can't listen to music without them now.

whats the difference between the studio versions and the orignal one's?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'd be of the same opinion. I purchased Studio Beats by Dre, (Actually wearing them on the train now) and if you do travel a lot I'd highly recommend them. I'm not sure if they are the best for their price range or if there are better alternatives out there cheaper, but at the end of the day if you are happy with the sound quality that you get from the headphones that you purchase then that is all that should matter. I purchased this after using them multiple times beforehand and I've never regretted it. I'd recommend Studio Beats by Dre anyway. People's main gripe with them seems to circulate around their price.

rza is releasing his own set called chambers now too, for the price they look to be a better deal than dre's brand. the street model looks good value at 170 euro compared to dre's solo beats considering the things it claims it can do.

50 cent also has his own brand coming called sleek audio soon too, they all seem to be getting in on the act the market for headphones must bebig.

http://wesc.com/chambers

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.16189/title.rza-explains-the-origin-of-his-new-headphone-line-for-wesc

rza is releasing his own set called chambers now too, for the price they look to be a better deal than dre's brand. the street model looks good value at 170 euro compared to dre's solo beats considering the things it claims it can do.

50 cent also has his own brand coming called sleek audio soon too, they all seem to be getting in on the act the market for headphones must bebig.

http://wesc.com/chambers

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.16189/title.rza-explains-the-origin-of-his-new-headphone-line-for-wesc

Those Chambers look interesting, wouldnt mind try them out.

50 has dropped the Sleek endorsement, but he is coming out with another brand as far as i know

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Those Chambers look interesting, wouldnt mind try them out.

50 has dropped the Sleek endorsement, but he is coming out with another brand as far as i know

ye they do now, they seem great value but to me it looks like there's more emphasis on the actual features that come with the headphones rather than the actual sound quality which is more than likely the main reason someone would buy a pair of headphones.

ye thats right mate remember briefly reading about that there called sms audio i think, im going to hold out to see what 50 comes with, im liking what im hearing so far from them and the fact there pretty much indestructable which is good because im careless out with things like this and would stand a good chance of breaking them within a year.:D

ludacris also has his own brand called sleek coming soon too.

not really relevant to headphones too much but did anyone take any notice of the boards deal with the mp3 player with, headphones, portable speaker, remote control etc all for 33 euro iv just got it for training really as it looks light my 60 gb ipod is like training with a brick in your pocket!, great deal imo.

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/33-instead-of-93-for-the-NEW-MP3-Player-Value-Pack/511/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=deal_511&block_popup=on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Have a pair of Solo Beats and love them, wouldn't by any means be an expert on headphones or music equipment but I like Beats. The sound is very good and they look great, think I paid around €170 for them in May, took them with me travelling around Thailand, plently of long plane/bus/boat journeys over three months and never had any kind of issue with them, maybe not the best quality or cheapest headphones on the market but by far the best looking IMO and five months later I'd consider them good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Only gripe with the beats is with the rubbery bit between the over head part and your head, the under side of the top, if that makes sense.
    Last two pairs I've had that bit has come loose, not a huge deal as it slides/clips back in but it shouldnt happen when spending so much.

• Advertisement

dre is going down the wireless bluetooth route just like rza,50 and luda. Also discuss's a portable beat box it seems pretty class would be handy for sessions and the likes with the ipod has bluetooth aswell with a portable battery function... would seriously love a dre beats box.

50 shows of his sleek headphones in white supposedly designed by floyd mayweather.

x2_71fc1ff.jpg

50 shows of his sleek headphones in white supposedly designed by floyd mayweather.

x2_71fc1ff.jpg

Is 50 still doing the Sleek headphones? I thought the deal fell through and he was with a different headphone manufacturer now?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Is 50 still doing the Sleek headphones? I thought the deal fell through and he was with a different headphone manufacturer now?

sorry ye i think there called sms audio by 50 or something like that not sure, all i know is there defiantly coming soon think its november.

im going to wait and see and weigh up all my options on the headphone front, dre's bringing out new wireless beats just like 50's and RZA's with bluetooth and the likes.

but in fairness 50's one's do look nice whether they perform as good is another thing, i say they will though the whole thing of them not being easy to brake is very appealing to me.

sorry ye i think there called sms audio by 50 or something like that not sure, all i know is there defiantly coming soon think its november.

im going to wait and see and weigh up all my options on the headphone front, dre's bringing out new wireless beats just like 50's and RZA's with bluetooth and the likes.

but in fairness 50's one's do look nice whether they perform as good is another thing, i say they will though the whole thing of them not being easy to brake is very appealing to me.

Yeah plenty to choose from if you're in the market..have a pair of Beats Solo HD at the moment but will probably get rid of them fairly soon and get a pair of the wireless Beats.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Yeah plenty to choose from if you're in the market..have a pair of Beats Solo HD at the moment but will probably get rid of them fairly soon and get a pair of the wireless Beats.

ye there's a fair bit to choose from, im defiantly going to get a set from a rapper might sound stupid but i want a pair with some recognition among-st hip hop fans, i know there's some sets out there much cheaper than beats etc that would be just as good or better so in all im getting them for the fashion element of them too i suppose.

ye i was going to get the solo's myself, just decided to wait and see what people think of 50's and rza's and now the new wireless beats, i know you can pick up solo's and studio's for great prices on amazon and ebay...

but ye the wireless dre beats sound good, its just the whole price thing i imagine they would be maybe a bit more expensive than the rest with it being a dre product and the publicity beats is getting of late i.e beats in laptops and smart phones etc its pretty much an established product these days amongst the elite sound developers.

one thing is for sure, im defiantly buying that dre beat box would be perfect for the ipod.

but ye the wireless dre beats sound good, its just the whole price thing i imagine they would be maybe a bit more expensive than the rest with it being a dre product and the publicity beats is getting of late i.e beats in laptops and smart phones etc its pretty much an established product these days amongst the elite sound developers.

Yeah Beats definitely are the market leader by a huge margin, not sure what price the wireless Beats will be but if they're any more than €250 I might just hang onto the ones I have now, should find out soon enough though, AFAIK they're going to be available next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

For anybody on a tight budget, theres always the fake beats.
    http://www.deal-cool.com/Product/35mm-Jack-120CM-Cable-In-Ear-Stereo-Earphones---Black--Red.htm
    My friend got a couple of pairs in and while there obviously not as good as the proper beats there still good sound off them.
    Theres the headphones aswell (all colours on this page) http://www.deal-cool.com/Category/On-Ear_Earphones.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Anyone willing to pay €50 on a fake pair of headphones would want to get their head checked out. Before you even consider doing it have a look at a good quality pair for half the price like these.

Those fake ones could break down next week and I'd imagine you've no legal standing with regards to looking for a refund because of them being fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I was just saying if people wanted a pair of beats but didnt want to fork out on the proper ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have been happily using a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pros for the last four years in both home and work. The coiled cable can be a bit annoying but otherwise I find them great.

Advertisement