Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Free Money Betting Superthread 2011/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

liammur wrote: »
    They don't travel. There's no doubt they are the better team, but like toulouse, will they turn up?

That's a bit harsh for this year anyway. They should have beaten Ulster in Ravenhill, only for one bad defensive error. They were ahead for most of the match and were the better team. They got a losing bonus point in Leicester which is no mean achievment. They were ahead for a lot of that match as well. Flood got 2 penalties near the end to win it as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Clermont Away in Europe:

Sun 18/10/09 ERC Ospreys 25 - 24 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    at 19/12/09 ERC Leicester Tigers 20 - 15 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sat 23/01/10 ERC Viadana 20 - 59 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Fri 09/04/10 ERC Leinster 29 - 28 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sat 16/10/10 ERC Racing Métro 92 16 - 9 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sat 18/12/10 ERC Leinster 24 - 8 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Fri 21/01/11 ERC Saracens 14 - 24 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sat 12/11/11 ERC Ulster 16 - 11 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sat 17/12/11 ERC Leicester Tigers 23 - 19 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sat 14/01/12 ERC Aironi 0 - 82 ASM Clermont Auvergne

Saracens at Home:
    at 16/10/10 ERC Saracens 23 - 25 Leinster
    Sat 11/12/10 ERC Saracens 21 - 24 Racing Métro 92o
    Fri 21/01/11 ERC Saracens 14 - 24 ASM Clermont Auvergne
    Sun 13/11/11 ERC Saracens 42 - 17 Benetton Treviso
    Sat 10/12/11 ERC Saracens 31 - 26 Ospreys
    Sun 15/01/12 ERC Saracens 20 - 16 Biarritz

Last season Clermont managed a rare away victory in Saracens-their only other wins coming in Italy. +3 is about right- but I went for alternative handicap at +5
    hoping Saracens win for Leinsters sake though (and ultimatly for Connachts sake:cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Sarries were out of the tournament at that point, not even able to claim an Amlin Cup spot. They went through the motions in an empty stadium and Clermont, who had an outside chance of topping the group still, gave it a good go. Think Clermont are going to lose this by about 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

I know the statistics still wouldn't put me off backing Clermont. They have been very good away from home this year, which matters most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Blut2

Had a 5euro "think good thoughts" accumulator on Edinburgh, Leinster, Ulster and Saracens. Gutted by the last game :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Threw a "shur fcuk it ya never know" 20 quid on an Ulster win last night @ 5/2. Also had tenner on Leinster -13 Ulster +8 double.

Scattered a few euro on Toulouse, Leinster, Ulster and Clermont HC on doubles, triples and accum. Pity about Toulouse but made a few quid all same.

Good times.

I picked the lotto numbers from last Thursday.

I picked the lotto numbers from last Thursday.

Sore emmet ? :D

After timing is a no no

After timing is a no no

Not from what I have seen in this thread for the length I've been on the forum. Its a regular feature so please dont wag your finger at me for doing it.

Edit: The fact that JD thanked that post astounds me considering the regular update screenshot of "What JD won today". Unless the whole thing is a joke......is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

After timing is a no no

after timing is cool as long as you lose :D

i had the scots , leinster, munster , clermont .

aggghhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

MungBean wrote: »
    Threw a "shur fcuk it ya never know" 20 quid on an Ulster win last night @ 5/2. Also had tenner on Leinster -13 Ulster +8 double.

Scattered a few euro on Toulouse, Leinster, Ulster and Clermont HC on doubles, triples and accum. Pity about Toulouse but made a few quid all same.

Good times.

I put €500 on Ulster +6. Shouldn't have bothered with handicap.

antogz1979 wrote: »
    Clermont +3 with StanJames looks the bet today.
    I was looking at their team and they have class all over the field. I was comparing the 2 teams on paper and they are nearly better in every position. Clermont have only lost 1 of their last 13 matches and that was against Biarritz last week, where they rested players. They are all out for the Heineken cup this year as it is their centenary year.
    I watched Saracens last week against Quins and they were terrible. They rely too heavily on Farrell with penalties and their backs can be very lathergic at times. Saracens show the premiership of what it is a competition of very mediocre teams. They are an honest bunch of players, but are not in the same league as teams like Leicester or Wasps in years gone by. With Hodgson and Wigglesworth at halfbacks, they are going nowhere.
    I think Clermont will win this with a bit to spare, maybe 5 points.

Well called, although they won it at a canter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Not from what I have seen in this thread for the length I've been on the forum. Its a regular feature so please dont wag your finger at me for doing it.

Edit: The fact that JD thanked that post astounds me considering the regular update screenshot of "What JD won today". Unless the whole thing is a joke......is it ?

I was hauled up yonks ago for 'after timing' which I understood to mean statements regarding winnings without proof - that's why I put up screen shots and nobody has pulled me up since. Incidentally, you will notice that there haven't been any screen shots from me recently - the cupboard is bare after a woeful spell. Infuriating for me as I would have taken Edinburgh, Ulster and Leinster (try scorers) and been quids in. Still, it's nice to think that PP got a good kicking yesterday when BOD's try caused the refund of all losing try scoring bets in that game. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was under the impression after timing meant commenting on bets you won without mentioning them before the game.

i.e. gloating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I was under the impression after timing meant commenting on bets you won without mentioning them before the game.

i.e. gloating!

I googled it without success but you may well be right. That said, I think it's acceptable enough to say that you have won after a game provided you back it up. What I don't like is people claiming that they won large amounts and not backing it up. Anyway, it matters little. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Nearly ashamed to say that I had an Edinburgh Ulster double at the weekend

worked out at 12/1

Never backing against Munster again though!

I'm going for a Clermont/Edinburgh final.

I was hauled up yonks ago for 'after timing' which I understood to mean statements regarding winnings without proof - that's why I put up screen shots and nobody has pulled me up since. Incidentally, you will notice that there haven't been any screen shots from me recently - the cupboard is bare after a woeful spell. Infuriating for me as I would have taken Edinburgh, Ulster and Leinster (try scorers) and been quids in. Still, it's nice to think that PP got a good kicking yesterday when BOD's try caused the refund of all losing try scoring bets in that game. :D

I think I was scolded at that time, was my first post in this thread and I apologised at the time thinking I'd crossed some sacred line. I do recall someone (could have been you) backing their post up up with a screenshot but the point was nullified by someone else who rounded on whoever complained who then backed down and said they were just sore after losing or having a laugh something. Since then I've seen it plenty in here with proof and without, its a rugby gambling discussion after all and its all discussion.

I understand it may grate with some who havent done particularly well and may seem like gloating but this is just another rugby discussion thread. "I won money today" is no different than saying "I knew Ulster would win!" in the match thread. May piss off somebody but what can ya do ? Someones always gonna be pissed off when theres winning and losing involved.

To quote JP- we all need to "Chillax"

it's the bookies we wanna beat

• Advertisement

I think I was scolded at that time, was my first post in this thread and I apologised at the time thinking I'd crossed some sacred line. I do recall someone (could have been you) backing their post up up with a screenshot but the point was nullified by someone else who rounded on whoever complained who then backed down and said they were just sore after losing or having a laugh something. Since then I've seen it plenty in here with proof and without, its a rugby gambling discussion after all and its all discussion.

I understand it may grate with some who havent done particularly well and may seem like gloating but this is just another rugby discussion thread. "I won money today" is no different than saying "I knew Ulster would win!" in the match thread. May piss off somebody but what can ya do ? Someones always gonna be pissed off when theres winning and losing involved.

Very true. I said on Munster thread I'm going for a Clermont/Edinburgh final and some muppet had a rant at me for not wanting an Irish team to win it.

wprathead wrote: »
    Brive is +7 at home to Scarlets in Amlin? Could someone explain this please? Surely its not just based on Wales's Grand Slam?:confused:

grr, why didn't I do with my gut and bet on this. Brive 15 Scarlets 11

Latest odds for the semi:

Ulster -7
    Clermont -1

Interesting that Clermont are slight favourites for the semi yet Leinster are shorter odds for the HEC.

Interesting that Clermont are slight favourites for the semi yet Leinster are shorter odds for the HEC.

fascinating dynamic imo.

Basically they have priced the "Home Effect" absolutely massively into Clermont's odds.

Leinster are priced to be near certain winners if they win the semi, yet Clermont are priced as far closer if they get through to the final.

Its correct imo, but it still looks ridiculous!

fascinating dynamic imo.

Basically they have priced the "Home Effect" absolutely massively into Clermont's odds.

Leinster are priced to be near certain winners if they win the semi, yet Clermont are priced as far closer if they get through to the final.

Its correct imo, but it still looks ridiculous!

I disagree, if Clermont win the semi, they will be massive favs for the final.

Clermont's odds will shorten.
    There is a lot of money on Leinster already, hence the difference in price. The bookies do not want to take more money on Leinster.

I disagree, if Clermont win the semi, they will be massive favs for the final.

Though perhaps not quite as massive favourites as Leinster.

Clermont's odds will shorten.
    There is a lot of money on Leinster already, hence the difference in price. The bookies do not want to take more money on Leinster.

The current liability of a bookmaker to a result does not affect their prices except in extreme cases.

Bookmakers set the line at the "correct" price. Totes / totalisiers / Pari mutuel bets are those that are set by the liability to an event.

If you think Clermont will be massive favourites for the final then surely you can find a way of creating a quasi-arbitrage opportunity with the prices as they currently lie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Its nothing to do with winning or losing. It depends on why you choose to post on a betting forum. I post because I like to share and get info on bets. In order for that to be of any use I need to trust what I read and be trusted myself.In order to get that a poster/me needs to post a bet before the event, preferably with reasoning and if they feel the need post a follow up it won/ it lost post afterwards great.

Aftertiming for me is a no no because if I don't read about a bet prior to a win I just think 'public penis wagging lets see he aftertimes a loser'.

It was me that pulled JD Xmonths ago and in fairnness to him he was genuine in his response and always posts a screen shot when he aftertimes :pac:

Advertisement