Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

snow ghost wrote: »
    As dusk began to fall this evening I witnessed terrifying spectacle I have rarely encountered before – an ominous sign of impending doom – people everywhere were staring above them as a black dense cloud of tens of thousands of crows streamed from the coast inland. It was like a milky way of black crows; a crow highway that I thought would never end.

If the crows are fleeing, I think we could be in for a major storm that will probably cause widespread devastation.

Should have never started this thread... Sorry guys..... :(

Interesting ME update on their site....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All eyes and ears to Forecast now in a minute RTE 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

snow ghost wrote: »
    As dusk began to fall this evening I witnessed terrifying spectacle I have rarely encountered before – an ominous sign of impending doom – people everywhere were staring above them as a black dense cloud of tens of thousands of crows streamed from the coast inland. It was like a milky way of black crows; a crow highway that I thought would never end.

If the crows are fleeing, I think we could be in for a major storm that will probably cause widespread devastation.
    A murder of crows........:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Aye even all the gulls along the Shannon in Athlone have completely disappeared today, they've been around all Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

One flew over the crows nest!

• Advertisement

LTkGn.png

6Z85e.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

To be fair to ME it would have been easy to jump the gun and have it completely wrong come Monday. We're in reliable territory now and even if in the coming days it further twitches northwards, we're still in for severe gusts.

Hats off to Met Eireann imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Pangea wrote: »
    What were the highest gusts last year?
    I think I remember seeing 120 or maybe 130 kmph on a met eireann forecast last year (mid November).
    If top wind gusts are 130 it wont be anything I haven't seen before but maybe it will get stronger.

There was a 144km/hr gust in the storm back in May which was the biggest in the past year as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Actually, the 18z (GFS) is yet to come out, I will be reviewing the 18z RGEM which goes 48h in a few minutes, then the 18z GFS should be out by around 11 p.m. there.

Whatever the ups or downs of recent guidance, those of you in Donegal are very likely to see gusts higher than last May and at least equal to last November's storm. The 925 mb output on the 12z GFS was showing 80 knot winds at hilltop level. We have to factor in the balance of track and intensity, a stronger storm somewhat further off the coast may compensate for that shift in track.

I would currently say 80-85 knot wind gusts at Belmullet and Malin Head from this event, 65 knots at Mace Head and Knock, and 52 at Valentia, Shannon, possibly 45-50 along south coast and Dublin, Casement. Other stations tend to be more sheltered than some locations where people live but a station like Mullingar which is not super well exposed might peak at 45 knots.

Thetonynator was telling me that he will start a contest soon so everyone can have a go at predicting the strongest wind gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

So how does a 9am Monday morning arrival time in Shannon airport look? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

spideog7 wrote: »
    So how does a 9am Monday morning arrival time in Shannon airport look? :(

bumpy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

oops! 12z is what I probably should have said :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Seriously?.... why not take a pic????????????

It wasn't the normal large bunch of crows getting ready to roost, they were moving en masse. Shifting their feathery asses out of here.

A pic would have been good but i didn't get a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Monday should be a good day for input to the Weather pictures section :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

yup mite try a video if the power isnt out though the worst winds might be at night maybe and all youll see is my back door with crows flying everywhere (blown out of their beds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Something I've just copped on to is that the storm last May was on my last day of college while Monday is my first day back for 4th year, strange coincidence!

A couple of pics from outside the exam hall in May, remains of a big billboard that crashed into the building and the ground littered with branches

photo0342r.jpg

photo0343n.jpg

Hopefully the damage isnt as bad as that day but the weather enthusiast in me still wants it to be as strong as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

Posted this on here the last storm in may so hopefully if I get the chance will get one done for Katia. (will have the trampoline away for it so might not get the same effects lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's a bit closer on the 18z again....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Marginal differences at 18z.

initially further south, then maybe further north!

Intensity bit less than 12z!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

UK Met Office warning.

katthreatassess.jpg

• Advertisement

We would need a 100 mile jog south now for this to cause sig damage to the capital.

If 18z is correct for an IMBY Dublin perspective. You would expect gusts to 55mph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I don't mind a storm once I don't lose power or roofs off buildings, which happened with the Christmas eve storm.
    We reared turkeys and we had some hanging out in the shed as they were for the freezer, I will always remember the smell and my mother cleaning out turkeys on Christmas day as there was not much else to do...

Interesting discussion from the NHC

Regardless of its end position, this has been and will be a very interesting feature and is very uncommon in its occurence.
    HURRICANE KATIA DISCUSSION NUMBER 47
    NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL122011
    500 PM AST FRI SEP 09 2011

DESPITE ITS HIGH LATITUDE LOCATION...KATIA HAS MAINTAINED A LARGE
    RAGGED EYE FEATURE IN BOTH CONVENTIONAL AND MICROWAVE SATELLITE
    IMAGERY. THE INITIAL INTENSITY REMAINS 75 KT BASED ON CONSENSUS
    SATELLITE CURRENT INTENSITY ESTIMATES OF T4.5/77 KT FROM TAFB AND
    SAB...AND NHC AODT INTENSITY ESTIMATES.

THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS 060/33 KT. KATIA IS NOW EMBEDDED
    WITHIN DEEP-LAYER WEST-SOUTHWESTERLY FLOW AHEAD OF A SHARP
    MID-UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH AND ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT MOVING QUICKLY
    SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS SOUTHEASTERN CANADA. THE LARGE HURRICANE IS
    EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TO ACCELERATE TOWARD THE EAST-NORTHEAST
    THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF THE FORECAST PERIOD. KATIA IS MOVING OVER
    COOLER WATER AND IN 18-24 HOURS AND IT IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A
    POWERFUL EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE OVER THE FAR NORTH ATLANTIC. THE
    FORECAST TRACK IS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE TIGHTLY PACKED NHC MODEL
    GUIDANCE...AND LIES CLOSE TO THE CONSENSUS TRACK MODEL TVCN.

KATIA WILL BE MOVING OVER WATER TEMPERATURES LESS THAN 22C BY 12
    HOURS...AND THE CYCLONE COULD BECOME EXTRATROPICAL AT THAT TIME.
    HOWEVER...THE LARGE CIRCULATION IS EXPECTED TO TRANSPORT WARM
    UNSTABLE AIR SOUTH OF 40N LATITUDE NORTHWARD INTO THE EASTERN
    SEMICIRCLE...WHICH COULD HELP MAINTAIN CONVECTION A LITTLE LONGER
    THAN USUAL FOR SYSTEMS AT SUCH A HIGH LATITUDE. REGARDLESS...
    TRANSITION TO AN EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE SHOULD BE COMPLETED BY
    24 HOURS WHEN THE SYSTEM WILL HAVE MERGED WITH THE AFOREMENTIONED
    COLD FRONT AND BE OVER SSTS LESS THAN 20C. ALTHOUGH KATIA IS
    FORECAST TO WEAKEN BELOW HURRICANE FORCE BY 36 HOURS...THE LARGE
    EXTRATROPICAL LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO CONTAIN
    STORM-FORCE WINDS WHEN IT APPROACHES THE BRITISH ISLES IN 3 DAYS.
    INTERESTS IN AND AROUND THE BRITISH ISLES AND NORTHERN EUROPE
    SHOULD MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED BY THE UKMET OFFICE AT
    WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK/WEATHER/.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

18z RGEM continued earlier track and to 48h was 1 deg south of 18z GFS at each interval. Crosses 20W near 53N.

18z GFS is never known to be a definitive model run at this sort of time interval, so any changes on it need to be taken as bumps in the road.

The main unresolved question may be how the final stages of extratropical transition play out in terms of any possible squally frontal band for regions further south, but so far this continues to look like mainly a west to north coast event in terms of damaging wind potential.

Should be some awesome photo ops around Achill, Westport, Donegal Bay by mid-day with the huge waves rolling in.

Regardless of ex-Katias impact on the capital.

Exposed Northern and Northwestern areas should prepare for wind gusts 80mph or perhaps in extreme gusts up to 90mph. There will be frequent wind gusts above 65mph in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

18z RGEM continued earlier track and to 48h was 1 deg south of 18z GFS at each interval. Crosses 20W near 53N.

18z GFS is never known to be a definitive model run at this sort of time interval, so any changes on it need to be taken as bumps in the road.

The main unresolved question may be how the final stages of extratropical transition play out in terms of any possible squally frontal band for regions further south, but so far this continues to look like mainly a west to north coast event in terms of damaging wind potential.

Should be some awesome photo ops around Achill, Westport, Donegal Bay by mid-day with the huge waves rolling in.

I WANNA GOOO!!! :(:(:(

Where are you seeing GEM 18z, you view it on meteocentre? I cannot see an 18z bar ones for N America or Quebec. Thanks.

lol
    ZNWI4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

I'm still provisionally booked to go surfing...you might spot me on one;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Pangea wrote: »
    lol
    ZNWI4.jpg

tbh it was only a matter of time :p

Advertisement