Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Katia storm thread - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION, FORECASTS AND OBSERVATIONS ONLY!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

windy down south for the last 2 hours, gusts have really picked up and are very strong at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

54ba80e0-0b94-4d48-98da-4afc67009c49.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

what speed will it be in meath or cavan in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

The wind has just (11 pm) started up, here in Mayo - I'm no scientist nor weather expert, but it sure is windy out there right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

gozunda wrote: »
    Upper air sounding (Tephigram)from Valentia Observatory from Met Eireann (LINK)

Of interest is the temperature (red) / wind (Wind arrows) / and vertical soundings (in metres) of the atmosphere

There is a near constant tempetaure gradient up to 12000 m...

windbarbs.png

valtef.gif

No, that's not correct, the isotherms are actually the thin red diagonal lines sloping up from left to right. The thin almost vertical curving bright blue lines are the moist adiabats, which describe the path a saturated parcel would follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Wind speeds for particular counties would be just guesses but I guess you could look at gusts up to 70mph in squawly showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am confused. GFS is projecting the pressure to drop to a low of 990 in Galway Bay but it's already below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Is Irishweatheronline down???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

tzfrantic wrote: »
    what speed will it be in meath or cavan in ireland

1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Discodog wrote: »
    I am confused. GFS is projecting the pressure to drop to a low of 990 in Galway Bay but it's already below that.

18Z shows pressure getting down to about 985 in Galway Bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

sillymoo wrote: »
    Don't you mean Irishweatheroffline... ;)

duckysauce wrote: »
    1 or 2
    serious 1 mph you joking

sillymoo wrote: »

Just getting a lot of traffic. Just refresh and it will load ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

serious 1 mph you joking

Gusts to around 50 - 60 mph (80 - 100 kph)

i seen it say gusts of up to 80 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cabra

www.irishweatheronline.com back up and running now - it was down for a while

18Z shows pressure getting down to about 985 in Galway Bay.

It's 985 now !. Also the temp has gone up 2c in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Cabra wrote: »
    www.irishweatheronline.com back up and running now - it was down for a while
    Yippie! Love the site :)

it is quite windy now in meath and it will get stronger love to see how strong it gets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Not where you're asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Please post in the Katia Chat thread or face few day ban. Many thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

What sort of waves would you say we'd be expecting in Achill? Will we see the predicted 10m waves?

Why is the wind due South ? I would be expecting SW.

gozunda wrote: »
    See Met Eireann for Explaination of terms

Those two curves are the ACTUAL temperature and dewpoint, as measured. Look at the red temperature curve and how it compares to the diagonal isotherm. If temperature were constant then the temperature curve would also slope upwards from left to right, following the isotherms, but it doesn't. It's -10°C at 500 hPa, for instance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Finally starting to look like a storm on satellite. Took her time for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ah Well

Getting some nice wind gusts down South now - increasing in intensity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The wind is due south because of the local pressure gradient but expect the direction to veer to southwest by 0300h with an increase in wind speeds throughout the night. Mace Head could see gusts to 70 knots around 05-07h, Belmullet to around 75 knots and possibly 80 by 06-09h. There probably won't be a sharp peak in wind speeds, the diurnal (daytime heating) effect will counteract the slowly decreasing pressure gradient for most of the morning and mid-day hours, so expect a fast increase later tonight followed by a period of about 6-8 hours of very strong winds and a very gradual decline later. Inland and further south, peak winds will come a bit later, and there may be more variation hour to hour, the tendency will be for strongest winds in the southwest around 0900h and in the east around 1200h but there may be several waves of stronger winds caused by mesoscale effects of troughs and local showers (convection).

From satellite imagery, 2300h (22z) position now estimated 54N 18W. Good luck M6 buoy !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

Winds quite strong now here in Kerry and gusting very strong, would not think that they are any stronger than we have had for the past two days or so, but it is early yet and I expect tomorrow to be good. I am thinking of heading to Rossbeigh to take some pics and do a dvd of it but not really sure might be best to go to Inch were I can got through the village and to the cliff top and do some shooting from there, both are the same distance from me.

Regards Wez

Advertisement