Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked my religion in hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Grrraaaaaiiiiiinnsssss.

Im vegetarian

Jesus loves you anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Galvasean wrote: »
    Jesus loves you anyway :)

He said that, but then he never called me afterwards:( i feel so used and foolish. not to mention sore and bow legged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

You will he ok, he can stay on the wood for three hours but takes him three days to rise it again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You will he ok, he can stay on the wood for three hours but takes him three days to rise it again

the second coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I have heard it suggested by religious people that they know of some notorious atheists who, when hospitalized, have been heard to utter with feeling such ejaculations as 'I believe in the infallibility of the Pope'!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

paddyandy wrote: »
    Daylight Athiests: Ask the dying if they believe or ask those who attend them when the fear touches and tremulous lips and quivering features and quavering voice starts to utter the inner torments of a life badly lived?????THEY think very differently when sickness has tempered their raging arrogance.

I assume you're christian think we'll all convert to your god at the last minute.
    None of the Hindu gods, not Taizu, nor any of the tens of thousands of other gods. As Homer said, you're possibly believing in the wrong god and making him angrier every day. While he respects the athiest scepticism.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

One of the last times I was in hospital I pointed to dragon flying at me from the corner of the room and asked my husband to fight it for me. (At least that's what he tells me.) Does that mean that deep, deep down I believe in dragons?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

iguana wrote: »
    One of the last times I was in hospital I pointed to dragon flying at me from the corner of the room and asked my husband to fight it for me. (At least that's what he tells me.) Does that mean that deep, deep down I believe in dragons?:confused:

Well you are an iguana. Dragons could be iguana gods

2i7qzw4.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

WRONG about my Religion and would not bring it on to this sort of place at any time for ANY reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Galvasean wrote: »
    So what you are saying is I can live the life of sin and profess my loyalty to your God at the last possible moment and he will let me into the exclusive paradise he set up for those who dedicated their entire lives to him?
    Hate to break it you you, but your God is a sucker! I wonder if I can offer him a long stand...

Hate to break it to you, you can try it if you want, but he won't be listening to any bluff or excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Was filling in a form in admissions and was asked for my 'christian' name.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Was filling in a form in admissions and was asked for my 'christian' name.

I have been in this situation, but the woman at admissions told me that since the Sisters owned the hospital, they would design the forms. Since someone was going to plunge a scalpel into me the following morning in that building, I felt I was compromised and so my cough was softened! (As she expected it would be, I imagine!)

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Iwas in A&E last night and was asked to confirm all my details. DOB? address? Catholic? Telephone? etc.
    Didn't bother changing Catholic to no religion cos the ****ing leg was hanging off me and I just wanted some drugs ASAP!:mad: anyway turns out I have cellulitis, lovely.

Opinicus wrote: »
    Iwas in A&E last night and was asked to confirm all my details. DOB? address? Catholic? Telephone? etc.
    Didn't bother changing Catholic to no religion cos the ****ing leg was hanging off me and I just wanted some drugs ASAP!:mad: anyway turns out I have cellulitis, lovely.

Yes, isn't cellulite a terrible thing? I don't know what they do for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Sorry to hear that mate, hope it clears up for you soon. Quad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Yes, isn't cellulite a terrible thing? I don't know what they do for it.

not cellulite, cellulitis is an infection of some of the layers of skin. Can't even stand on it now. been in bed since yesterday, thank godthankfully i have my laptop:)

not cellulite, cellulitis is an infection of some of the layers of skin. Can't even stand on it now. been in bed since yesterday, thank godthankfully i have my laptop:)

Ouch - not to mention yeucch.

A couple of years ago I got an insect bite of some kind on holiday abroad and developed cellulitis as a result, between my toes and instep. It took 5 courses of antibiotics before it was gone - and I wasn't walking right for about 6 weeks. I still have a discoloured patch of skin to remind me where it was.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I assume you're christian think we'll all convert to your god at the last minute.
    None of the Hindu gods, not Taizu, nor any of the tens of thousands of other gods. As Homer said, you're possibly believing in the wrong god and making him angrier every day. While he respects the athiest scepticism.

In such situations you cry out to the God you think can give you the best deal. I will give my life to the blood god Khorne in exchange for a big axe and demons to lead into battle. We will plunder and defile many planets in his name.
    Hate to break it to you, you can try it if you want, but he won't be listening to any bluff or excuses.

So you've just admitted that deathbed conversions and Pascal's Wager don't work? Quite the turnaround.
    Who knows, maybe God will forgive me for not believing in him after he gave me a skeptical mind and put me in a universe which appears to have formed and continues to operate without his presence/existence?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Denying clergy access to patient records ‘a step towards paganism’ http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/denying-clergy-access-to-patient-records-a-step-towards-paganism-358560.html you put an extra box to tick on the form asking whether you'd appreciate a visit from your clergy, and the priest may view/visit them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

He said the data protection measure was “anti-Christian”.

Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Here is a comprehensive list of people I am happy to have access to my records should I be admitted to hospital:

- My doctors

What's to stop admitting nurses from asking 'Would you like to be visited by a priest?' and putting that information on a separate list at reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

kylith wrote: »
    Here is a comprehensive list of people I am happy to have access to my records should I be admitted to hospital:

- My doctors

What's to stop admitting nurses from asking 'Would you like to be visited by a priest?' and putting that information on a separate list at reception?

The belief that this is a Catholic state, I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

kylith wrote: »

That's really what they ought to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Denying clergy access to patient records ‘a step towards paganism’ http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/denying-clergy-access-to-patient-records-a-step-towards-paganism-358560.html you put an extra box to tick on the form asking whether you'd appreciate a visit from your clergy, and the priest may view/visit them

Reading the article, it sounds like the priest is the one afraid of being left alone and isolated.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It takes a serious degree of arrogance to make the assumption that you are entitled to personal information straight off the bat like that.

its good to know this is the last place that was doing it

although somebody pointed out this is just as bad
    He said he would now have to go around the wards and ask staff, already under pressure, to check the records to see if any patient was from a Church of Ireland background.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/denying-clergy-access-to-patient-records-a-step-towards-paganism-358560.html

Over 20 years ago, I was in Hospital for a minor procedure (Gynaecology Ward). There were 5 of us in the night before, myself and 2 other "young" ones for minor stuff and 2 "older" ladies for hysterectomy, which back then was a very major surgery. Just as we were settling in for the night, a nurse appeared at the door with a Priest and asked if any of us wanted confession and anointing! I was last in the line and refused his ministrations. One of the older ladies, who had been fine until his visit, was now in hysterics with worry. When I said No, he said "Never be afraid of receiving the Lord" I replied, that I had no fear, but he had put the fear of meeting the Lord sooner than expected to the poor woman in the next bed. He stormed out!

swampgas wrote: »
    Reading the article, it sounds like the priest is the one afraid of being left alone and isolated.
    theres a picture of him in the Daily Mail along side an article on the subject, surprisingly young, maybe 30s http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/10/14/4033136-trim-curate-appointed-pp-of-ballivor/#sthash.dBknYzx7.gbpl http://www.dioceseofmeath.ie/news?news_id=277

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

swampgas wrote: »
    It takes a serious degree of arrogance to make the assumption that you are entitled to personal information straight off the bat like that.

I was struck by that on reading the piece this morning. I don't mind him attending to the spiritual needs of his parishioners, and whilst some may end up becoming patients, it came across that it was all about him, which irked me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a minor procedure in a Cork hospital that required me to be admitted just for the day. I was asked at reception what religion I was and replied 'none'. The receptionist poked at her computer for a few seconds and said, it won't accept that. So I asked her what the options were and she listed off a string of denominations and I chose one at random. I couldn't be bothered arguing it, but really, you have to have a religion, any religion!

Advertisement