Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked my religion in hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

terrlobe wrote: »
    I don't dispute the fact that pre-Christian hunter gatherer tribes ecked out a living here and may have carved primitive symbols in stone or sacrificed their sons and daughters to various pagan deities but i don't hear academics ever refer to any of them as a "civilisation". No matter what way you look at it they are a distant lineage and only serves to satisfy an intellectual curiousity.
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/25516056

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

mikhail wrote: »
    I don't dispute the fact that pre-Christian hunter gatherer tribes ecked out a living here and may have carved primitive symbols in stone or sacrificed their sons and daughters to various pagan deities but i don't hear academics ever refer to any of them as a "civilisation". No matter what way you look at it they are a distant lineage and only serves to satisfy an intellectual curiousity.
    http://www.jstor.org/stable/25516056

Well let me.congratulate all the athiests/agnostics here who proudly declared themselves whatever in hospital.Could I now ask them to take the next step and when they are kicking the bucket get the **** out of Catholic graveyards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Non-sequitir!

I'd imagine many of the regular atheist posters on this board would be somewhere between happy and indifferent about knowing they won't be buried in Catholic graveyards.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Well let me.congratulate all the athiests/agnostics here who proudly declared themselves whatever in hospital.Could I now ask them to take the next step and when they are kicking the bucket get the **** out of Catholic graveyards

No!!! And just to really upset the Catholics I'm getting my tombstone engraved with the name of the guy who is the centre of attention on 25th December.

449483_21b0b56836_o.jpg

:P:pac::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

I'd prefer to be asked. I have been asked a few times, and I don't ever recall anyone as much as raising an eyebrow at my reply.

The alternative is not to be asked, which is a bit naff really if you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd prefer to be asked. I have been asked a few times, and I don't ever recall anyone as much as raising an eyebrow at my reply.

The alternative is not to be asked, which is a bit naff really if you think about it.

Would you prefer to be asked what your religion is if you were ordering a coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't dispute the fact that pre-Christian hunter gatherer tribes ecked out a living here and may have carved primitive symbols in stone or sacrificed their sons and daughters to various pagan deities
    Like early Christians did?
    but i don't hear academics ever refer to any of them as a "civilisation". No matter what way you look at it they are a distant lineage and only serves to satisfy an intellectual curiousity.
    I think it's rather unfair to call approx. 6,500 years of social development uncivilised, and I'd very much like to see links to where academics have dismissed it as not a civilisation. Pre-Christian Ireland had a rich civilisation with various social classes, and rights for women, the elderly, and the disabled that could be considered progressive in some 21st centuary 'civilisations'.
    Far be it from me to ram religion down anyone's throat, and a non demoninational school system would make sense, but don't go saying Christianity isn't a source of good: it shaped this country's past and present, and will still be here long after we're gone!
    When Christianity will eventually kick the bucket is anyones guess, but the fact that people have claimed Christian reasons for doing good things doesn't negate the fact that people have claimed Christian reasons for doing bad things, and that people have also claimed non-religious reasons for doing. Good people do good things, and bad people do bad things, such is the way of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Would you prefer to be asked what your religion is if you were ordering a coffee?

I surely would if there was a risk of death, and probably so would you to make sure you did not recieve the last rites.

No, because it is unlikely that drinking my coffee could potentially be a life-or-death matter (unless it's the crap they serve in Burger King, but that's a whole other story).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Our graveyard is community owned luckily- so the Catholics can't dictate who goes in. I'll be dead I don't care what they do with my body- take anything useful and burn the rest!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Imagine they asked my date of birth,talk about age-ism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

To verify who you were, that's what dob is for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

No, because it is unlikely that drinking my coffee could potentially be a life-or-death matter (unless it's the crap they serve in Burger King, but that's a whole other story).
    So if you're going for a scan in the hospital you'd prefer to be asked what your religion is? A scan is as likely to kill you as a coffee is, so what's the difference, and why don't Starbucks ask you for your religion before serving you?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I would much rather be asked my religion so that I can tell them that I have none. Was recently in the A&E, wasn't asked anything about my religion and when I went into the clinic they read off a list of details to confirm including my status as a single catholic. I quickly denied the catholic bit, the lady at reception nearly asked me my religion and then just said, shall I leave it blank so? She was nice about it but I was quite pissed that I'm automatically catholic in the eyes of HSE.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well I for one wish to be cremated and my ashes daubed on peoples foreheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

Dades wrote: »

good make sure you stick to that as you get older PLEASE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Was asked this about my son. Simple question asked to everyone who "checks in".

What? Are there a large number of athiests dying in graveyards? Surely the guards or an ambulance moves them out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

good make sure you stick to that as you get older PLEASE
    As a devout Christian it saddens me that after managing to get banned from After Hours (a feat!) you must wander into this valley of lost souls spreading your hateful unchristian bile and hatred.. SHAME ON YOU!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You know that in urban areas, at least, the graveyards are generally municipally owned and ran, right? They might have a saints name but they don't actually have anything to do with the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Atheist zombies!!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Atheist zombies!!! :eek:

If I recall Night of the Living Dead correctly, wasn't the supposition that the dead had risen because hell was finally full of sinners and was rejecting the dead back to earth? The dead atheists would just stay in their coffins as the quiet, darkness is close enough to the nothingness they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

iguana wrote: »
    If I recall Night of the Living Dead correctly, wasn't the supposition that the dead had risen because hell was finally full of sinners and was rejecting the dead back to earth?

I don't remember the original but in the remake I believe they were caused by radiation from a crashed satellite. Although it's not explained well in the film. Apparently there are different reasons given on different DVD covers.

Just looked it up. The original Dawn of the Dead's tagline is: "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth." In the movie it was a voodoo saying which Peter remembers his grandfather telling him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just watched Resident Evil: Afterlife...

At least Milla makes up for the serious lack of zombie action. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Dades wrote: »

And may I be the first one to receive them.

For dust you are and to dust you will return.

So if you're going for a scan in the hospital you'd prefer to be asked what your religion is?

Is that a question or a statement?

A scan is as likely to kill you as a coffee is, so what's the difference, and why don't Starbucks ask you for your religion before serving you?

As it happens, the last two occasions I was in a hospital for scans (both MRI) I wasn't asked my religion. But it is likely that - for very sound reasons indeed - asking the religion of patients is part of the normal data-gathering procedure of hospitals. We could expect hospitals to make exceptions for certain procedures, but this would probably prove more time-consuming and inefficient. At a time when resources are severely limited, expecting hospitals to have variable data collection procedures is, to say the least, a low priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As it happens, the last two occasions I was in a hospital for scans (both MRI) I wasn't asked my religion. But it is likely that - for very sound reasons indeed - asking the religion of patients is part of the normal data-gathering procedure of hospitals. We could expect hospitals to make exceptions for certain procedures, but this would probably prove more time-consuming and inefficient. At a time when resources are severely limited, expecting hospitals to have variable data collection procedures is, to say the least, a low priority.
    I imagine that once you have attended a specific hospital, any time you visit that hospital again, everything is kept on the same file. Hence no need to ask the basic questions again. If you are attending the same hospital, but a different department, you will be asked to confirm contact details, etc.

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine that once you have attended a specific hospital, any time you visit that hospital again, everything is kept on the same file. Hence no need to ask the basic questions again. If you are attending the same hospital, but a different department, you will be asked to confirm contact details, etc.

I imagine that was the case.

In any case, I can't see what the problem is. Specifically, because I belong to a minority view, it suits me that the question is asked. I can't see how any reasonably-minded atheist would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

And may I be the first one to receive them.

For dust you are and to dust you will return.

No, moth to cocoon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The question should be
    Do you wish to have a religion listed on your file?
    If yes, then which one?
    If no, then next question

Advertisement