Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked my religion in hospital

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

efb wrote: »
    Being checked into the ward this eve was asked religion. No, I said. None she said. No dont bother with that. That's my first time to officially declare my agnosticism. I feel better about myself fo it too.

Hospitals is usually where ppl are won back...

I don't think there's anything sinister in it. I spent nearly three weeks in hospital in Helsinki a bit over a year ago and soon after I had been assigned a bed, a "social nurse" came along to find out the names and contact particulars of my next of kin and also asked me if I wished to see one of the hospital chaplains (Lutheran or Orthodox) who regularly visit. I told her I am an atheist and had no interest in religion, and she checked the right box on the form.:)

However, a Lutheran chaplain did visit someone else in the ward and I got into conversation with her. She never mentioned any of that sky fairy stuff, but was massively interested in Irish music, dogs and a whole range of other stuff that also interests me. Quite apart from being very easy on the eye indeed, I found her very good company and was glad to have someone to talk to.;)

I'm still an atheist, but I made a nice friend.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything sinister in it. I spent nearly three weeks in hospital in Helsinki a bit over a year ago and soon after I had been assigned a bed, a "social nurse" came along to find out the names and contact particulars of my next of kin and also asked me if I wished to see one of the hospital chaplains (Lutheran or Orthodox) who regularly visit. I told her I am an atheist and had no interest in religion, and she checked the right box on the form.:)

However, a Lutheran chaplain did visit someone else in the ward and I got into conversation with her. She never mentioned any of that sky fairy stuff, but was massively interested in Irish music, dogs and a whole range of other stuff that also interests me. Quite apart from being very easy on the eye indeed, I found her very good company and was glad to have someone to talk to.;)

I'm still an atheist, but I made a nice friend.:cool:

I never intended as something sinister- I meant it as my first public recognition of my agnosticism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Galvasean wrote: »
    Atheist zombies!!! :eek:

Any different from the original Christian zombie, in Jesus

Although Jesus was a Jew, in know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Atheist zombies only eat baby brains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

The living dead. How apt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The living dead. How apt.

The big difference is that atheists generally don't believe in ludicrous notions like things magically coming back from the dead. Christians on the other hand...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Well OP the cheek of them to ask such a personal question and you did'nt dare let them know about your Bowel Movements surely you made a very good statement about that now.But Religion...how dare them....still others don't really mind and don't make a big FUSS about not understanding all that sort of stuff.You should make a Placard and do a protest outside the Hospital about it???? THIS HOSPITAL WANTS TO KNOW WHAT YOU BELIEVE!!! nice Font and they'll soon learn not to be so personal ... your privacy must be protected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

paddyandy wrote: »
    Well OP the cheek of them to ask such a personal question and you did'nt dare let them know about your Bowel Movements surely you made a very good statement about that now.But Religion...how dare them....still others don't really mind and don't make a big FUSS about not understanding all that sort of stuff.You should make a Placard and do a protest outside the Hospital about it???? THIS HOSPITAL WANTS TO KNOW WHAT YOU BELIEVE!!! nice Font and they'll soon learn not to be so personal ... your privacy must be protected.
    What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be off beating on some children as per your recent AH posts?

The big difference is that atheists generally don't believe in ludicrous notions like things magically coming back from the dead. Christians on the other hand...

Neither do Christians.
    Nothing magical about it. God is divine.
    Look up the difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Neither do Christians.
    Nothing magical about it. God is devine.
    Look up the difference.
    Devine or divine?

• Advertisement

Neither do Christians.
    Look up the difference.

I love Devine!!!

Neither do Christians.
    Look up the difference.

Divinely magic! ;)

Daylight Athiests: Ask the dying if they believe or ask those who attend them when the fear touches and tremulous lips and quivering features and quavering voice starts to utter the inner torments of a life badly lived?????THEY think very differently when sickness has tempered their raging arrogance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Daylight Athiests ask the dying if they believe or ask those who attend them when the fear touches and tremulous lips and quivering features and quavering voice starts to utter the inner torments of a life badly lived?????THEY think very differently when sickness has tempered their raging arrogance.

YES!!! Finally what saying there was to be the wavering truth of the languid hyperbole neither to the range of emotions of when i was always!
    Well put!

Daylight Athiests ask the dying if they believe or ask those who attend them when the fear touches and tremulous lips and quivering features and quavering voice starts to utter the inner torments of a life badly lived?????THEY think very differently when sickness has tempered their raging arrogance. hard ons.

That would have been an infinitely better post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Neither do Christians.
    Look up the difference.

Is this like the difference between a cult and a religion?
    Mine is a religion
    The others are cults.
    yes?

Devine or divine?

Nit picking ....nothing better to say....mt head?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Daylight Athiests ask the dying if they believe or ask those who attend them when the fear touches and tremulous lips and quivering features and quavering voice starts to utter the inner torments of a life badly lived?????THEY think very differently when sickness has tempered their raging arrogance.
    Ergo: people will believe the unbelievable because they're afraid of death.

Good job, Dades. I couldn't make any sense out of that post.

It's not very accurate anyway. I've gone through one or two properly serious illnesses in my time, and all it's ever done is strip away the cotton wool surrounding reality and show up the lack of some all-powerful overseer.

Dades wrote: »
    Ergo: people will believe the unbelievable because they're afraid of death.

You are correct....but...a lot more...not going down that road.....

• Advertisement

I'm still not sure what a Daylight Atheist is though. Some form of reverse vampire perhaps?

Possibly we blow instead of suck?

Is this like the difference between a cult and a religion?
    Mine is a religion
    The others are cults.
    yes?

The word religion does not have the same meaning as the word cult. Look up the difference.

I'm still not sure what a Daylight Atheist is though. Some form of reverse vampire perhaps?

Either way, still the living dead. ;)

Don't ever get too refined on this sort of Forum ...their Neurons play havoc with their ideas and computers get smashed.Even the pc has to be hospitalised.

The word religion does not have the same meaning as the word cult. Look up the difference.

A Cult can be defined as:
    1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3.the object of such devotion.
    4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5.Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

How many of those apply to your religion?
    Either way, still the living dead.

The living dead is a bit of a contradiction, much like a lot of your beliefs.

The difference is "not having to pay tax".

Don't ever get too refined on this sort of Forum ...

BAHAHAHAAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fear of you doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The difference is in the number of believers, and a good rule of thumb is a difference of three zeroes.

Advertisement