Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

kilns wrote: »
    oh yes sorry, I forgot about that centre half back they have brought through and that quality midfield they have
    Kealy Mac an tSaoir - Covered at goalkeeper for years to come

Enright, Maguire, Killian Young, Marc, Peter Crowley - Plenty young Backs

Maher, Scanlon, Sheehan, Johnny Buckley - Covered at Midfield.

Gooch (Still only 28), Donaghy, Darran, Declan, Killian, Donnacha Walsh, BJK, James O'Donaghue, Daithí Casey etc. etc. - Kerry football is in grand shape don't you worry. Just because you havn't heard of a player doens't mean he doesn't exist.

Many this year hadn't heard of Enright but he's faring grand, injury aside.

p.s Midfield has been performing well so far. Pick out a game where we were beaten. We beat a much lauded Cork midfield and were expected to be cleaned out against the O'Sheas against Mayo. They havn't put a foot wrong so far. I don;t expect them to fail against Dublin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

keane2097 wrote: »
    All this derision for Kerry playing a forward centre-back.

No mention of Dublin playing three backs in their half-forward line.

Kerry play with gusto, attacking flair and absolute abandon as evidenced by their choice of personnel in the heart of their defence. Dublin play with nine backs in their first choice 15.

I know which one I'd be more embarrassed about.

Three weeks to go and the banter is in full flow .. this is a huge game and both sides know it

I've always found you quite the level headed Kerry supporter and very honest in yer views - as opposed to others on here .. and if yer rersorting to invective, then we have yiz rattled ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Three weeks to go and the banter is in full flow .. this is a huge game and both sides know it

I've always found you quite the level headed Kerry supporter and very honest in yer views - as opposed to others on here .. and if yer rersorting to invective, then we have yiz rattled ;)

Funnily enough the bit in bold fairly well echoes what the mod told me the last time he had to ban me for a week :pac:

In fairness, that post was tongue-in-cheek and only responding in kind to the previous one.

It doesn't take much to rattle me either, might take a bit more to slow Gooch down though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

No- I'd go as far to say I am arrogant.

Teams like this come along once in a lifetime. Might as well enjoy it.

The difference is watching the arrogance of the Media Pundits when Dublin have won Fu*k All.

The difference is watching Thomas O'Shea, Galvin, and other Kerry players get singled out and banned (rightly imo) but incidents like Mayo's players openly striking Kerry players not being banned. Galvin missing a season for hitting a ref's notebook and a Cavan player not being disciplined when he struck a referree.

Dublin get worked into a orgasmic frenzy coming up to big games in croke park and then Choke.

This will be the biggest Anti-Climax of them all. The Dublin players will love the attention for the three weeks, the replaying of the 77 All Ireland Semi Final, the replaying of the 95 Win, the endless hyperbole from Person's who know sfa about the game. The fair weather fans turning up and expecting a Dublin Victory because............well the Herald said so,

And the utter dejection when Kerry click in Croke Park in September and wash Dublin away. I can almost taste the ink from the Monday Press.

Arrogant. Damn right I am. And Proud of it. Ciarrai Abu.

Its Tomás O'Se

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kerry fans remind me of Munster fans in a lot of ways.

1 to 15 nobody else from outside the county would get into our team and we are simply unbeatable.

But just like Munster, Kerry are facing a barren few years with no players coming through with distinct lack of success at underage.

The munster fans are beginning to desert their 'belove' Munster, could the same happen when in say 2 years time Kerry are struggling to reach an All Ireland quarter final?

Kerry will always get the best from what they have, as a Corkman it's something I wish we could do more often..

Laois, Westmeath, Galway and Tippeary(football) have all done well at underage in both football and hurling and they still done practically sweet FA at senior level bar odd provincial win here and there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

yesterdays match was bad for kerry, we will go in as raging favourites and dublin will come in with a bit less hype than had they hammered donegal yesterday.

cant wait for this, bring it on. this thread possibly will be the biggest ever on the forum.

Kerry will always get the best from what they have, as a Corkman it's something I wish we could do more often..

Laois, Westmeath, Galway and Tippeary(football) have all done well at underage in both football and hurling and they still done practically sweet FA at senior level bar odd provincial win here and there..

Underage success is unbelievably overrated as an indicator of future success.

I believe it's 1994 since Kerry last won a minor title? Surely the rot would have set in almost two decades later if it was going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

listermint wrote: »
    It doesnt, but you did. But alas il never change your opinion because you hate Dublin.

What a sad post.
    Where did you get the idea that I hate Dublin.

I am talking from experience here. A few weeks ago i was looking at the Kerry team and saying they ere beatable cos their backs were suspect, their midfield was un-tested, Gooch had a bad few games etc etc.

At the end of the day Kerry showed that they ere well up for the task.

All I am doing is looking at the game from a neutrals point of view and all I can see is that Kerry have a better team than Dublin and more experience and thus should win this game.

1 to 15 nobody else from outside the county would get into our team and we are simply unbeatable.

But just like Munster, Kerry are facing a barren few years with no players coming through with distinct lack of success at underage.

The munster fans are beginning to desert their 'belove' Munster, could the same happen when in say 2 years time Kerry are struggling to reach an All Ireland quarter final?
    orourkeda wrote: »
    That was always on the cards. We've also seen it with the Ireland football team. No world cups = a downturn in attendance a la munster

Oh please

Stop trying to compare Kerry football with the bandwagon of Munster, and Irish rugby in general.

That's just pathetic and you both know it.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kealy Mac an tSaoir - Covered at goalkeeper for years to come

Enright, Maguire, Killian Young, Marc, Peter Crowley - Plenty young Backs

Maher, Scanlon, Sheehan, Johnny Buckley - Covered at Midfield.

Gooch (Still only 28), Donaghy, Darran, Declan, Killian, Donnacha Walsh, BJK, James O'Donaghue, Daithí Casey etc. etc. - Kerry football is in grand shape don't you worry. Just because you havn't heard of a player doens't mean he doesn't exist.

Many this year hadn't heard of Enright but he's faring grand, injury aside.

p.s Midfield has been performing well so far. Pick out a game where we were beaten. We beat a much lauded Cork midfield and were expected to be cleaned out against the O'Sheas against Mayo. They havn't put a foot wrong so far. I don;t expect them to fail against Dublin either.

To be honest i believe there may be some lean times ahead for Kerry but that is a debate for another day, and another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Minister B

Kerry havent won a minor all-ireland since 1994, yet since then they have played in 9 all-ireland finals, winning 6. Kerry have proven that under age success isnt the be all and end all. All you need is 2 or 3 lads coming through minor every year that are capable of stepping up to the senior panel.

In my opinion, it will be a long time before we see Kerry go through a "barren" spell again, they know how to develop young players down there and a lot of this talk about their under age demise is over subscribed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

What a final to look forward to 2 of the top 3 in the country contesting it and 2 footballing sides thankfully... IMO as a Kerry man I think that we have enough up front to compensate for possible defensive weaknesses not that our defence has really been found out to be that weak yet ! I have a feeling that this Dublin team might find itself in the situation that it has to lose one to win one and early in the game the enormity of the contest might let Kerry cut lose a little , as we have seen Kerry done in the past , and if Dublin have to chase a Kerry lead down then it's curtains for this year for them.. that said Dublin have huge heart hunger fitness levels determination and decent football ability so definitely have a chance , just not this year :)

Kerry 2 15 Dublin 0 16

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

teednab-el wrote: »
    Dublins chances of winning this years All Ireland are less than my chances of landing on the moon.

I'll have a tenner with you at those odds please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

teednab-el wrote: »
    Dublins chances of winning this years All Ireland are less than my chances of landing on the moon.

It really depends which direction you are fired in, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The difference is watching the arrogance of the Media Pundits when Dublin have won Fu*k All.

The difference is watching Thomas O'Shea, Galvin, and other Kerry players get singled out and banned (rightly imo) but incidents like Mayo's players openly striking Kerry players not being banned. Galvin missing a season for hitting a ref's notebook and a Cavan player not being disciplined when he struck a referree.

Dublin get worked into a orgasmic frenzy coming up to big games in croke park and then Choke.

This will be the biggest Anti-Climax of them all. The Dublin players will love the attention for the three weeks, the replaying of the 77 All Ireland Semi Final, the replaying of the 95 Win, the endless hyperbole from Person's who know sfa about the game. The fair weather fans turning up and expecting a Dublin Victory because............well the Herald said so,

And the utter dejection when Kerry click in Croke Park in September and wash Dublin away. I can almost taste the ink from the Monday Press.

Your posts have been littered with anti-Dublin cliches. You continue in the same vein here. As such is the case, should we really take your postings seriously? You clearly derive your knowledge of the game from "The Little Book of Anti-Dublin Ramblings"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Minister B wrote: »
    Kerry havent won a minor all-ireland since 1994, yet since then they have played in 9 all-ireland finals, winning 6. Kerry have proven that under age success isnt the be all and end all. All you need is 2 or 3 lads coming through minor every year that are capable of stepping up to the senior panel.

In my opinion, it will be a long time before we see Kerry go through a "barren" spell again, they know how to develop young players down there and a lot of this talk about their under age demise is over subscribed.

1997 V Mayo- Won
    2000 V Galway (twice) -Won
    2002 V Armagh- Lost
    2004 V Mayo - Won
    2005 V Tyrone - Lost
    2006 V Mayo- Won
    2007 V Cork -Won
    2008 V Tyrone - Lost
    2009 V Cork - Won
    2011 V Dublin TBD

That's a Sterling Record really for a team going through a "barren spell"

PS Dublin haven't won a minor title since 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I emphasise with you that you must support your own team thick and thin, but don't get carried away thinking that Dublin are up there with Kerry. They simply are not.

They don't play the game as quickly, as physically, as skillfully. They simply don't have the players- the experience- the backs, the forwards- the midfield or the manager.

The last time Dublin played Kerry they went in as favourites and went home 17 points in arrears. That is a massacre and Colm Cooper was the man that did the damage that day. Expect the same treatment.

Save for the fact that circumstances have changed quite a bit.

-Dublin have an entirely new backline and a new strategy.
    -Kerry have been declared beatable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Are you proud of Tomas O'Se a scumbag thug who has brought shame on to the GAA football field? O'Se was singled out for special treatment from the authorities you say, are you joking me?

Singled out my ass, O'Se was acting like a thug on the field for years and the authorities finally caught up with ONCE. People talk about Donegal's style doing damage to the GAA football game, but I reckon characters like O'Se and the failure of the authorities to deal with the likes of him consistently enough would turn people away from GAA football in similar numbers.

'Mon the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The reason why Dublin have a chance is because there are goals to be had against the Kerry defence. With a bit more composure, Mayo would have got in for a at least 2.

Dublin need to cut the supply to Cooper, as if they go man for man on him, he will take his opposing number to the cleaners. The same goes for the other end, if Kerry just go man for man on Brogan, they will be in trouble. But I believe both teams will try to nullify the treat of the two main forwards by placing sweepers in front of each.

It will come down to who can gain control around the middle and more importantly who supply quality ball to the other forwards to put them in positions to score. I feel this is where Dublin are lacking, they dont seem to have a player who can pick the pass from long range or even put it into 'good space' for the forward. They rely mainly on Ger Brennan to supply that ball and I believe he cant.

Kerrys advantage is that their half forward line can drop deeper and collect ball and run and also take their scores from further out but they will have to as the Dublin defence will not let them come as far as the D and no further as they create a cordon around that area.

Dublin have to take every chance that comes their way to win it and they will get goal chances I have no doubt about that, but they need the right men on the ball at the time.

Should be a cracker of a game.

BTW Paul Flynn wears 10 and has never been a defender. All through his club career he was either a half forward or midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ummmmmmmmmmmm
    Het-Field wrote: »

Um, No they don't. Plan A V Donegal - Lump it in Long. Plan B- Bring on McMEnemin and Lump in in Long

By who? Dublin Supporters?

Mayo Supporters were singing the same tune and went home nine points in arrears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Mr Incognito,

Nobody claimed that the last 10 years was a barren spell for Kerry. Kerry have had a core or 8-9 players throughout that period who were brilliant players and would grace any team. Just like the Tyrone crop

But these guys are one off's, do Kerry have players of the calibre of the O'Se's, Dongahy, Cooper, O'Sullivan coming through? It is obvious from early on when you have players of that quality..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Het-Field wrote: »

To be honest the "Kerry being beatable" is what got Dublin beaten in 09.

If you remember we'd scraped past Longford, Sligo and Antrim to get there.
    Many references were made to a dying team. An Aging team coming up to see its last days out in Croke Park.

Not just in the national media. Many in Kerry believed this.

Yes Kerry are beatable, but its not the attitude you should take into a match like an All Ireland final

You go in saying we got this far, we are the best team in the country if we play to our strengths.

Forget about Kerry being beatable, think about Dublin being good enough to beat any team on their day. Because at the end of the day, no matter how cocky it may seem to make them, thats Kerry's attitude going into Croke Park every Sunday. We are the best, and they are going to have to play mighty good to beat us.

Just look at the fans at the Kerry Mayo game. Christy Cooney was interviewing some 5 year olds, one from Kerry one from mayo on the big screen. The Mayo child said "Im here to see Mayo." the Kerry child said "Im here to see Kerry win" A Child doesn't know cocky, its just ingrained that Kerry win big matches. I don't see why Dublin shouldn't have that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

squrm wrote: »
    Its Tomás O'Se

If you want to be really pedantic it's "Tomás Ó Sé".

Are you proud of Tomas O'Se a scumbag thug who has brought shame on to the GAA football field? O'Se was singled out for special treatment from the authorities you say, are you joking me?

Singled out my ass, O'Se was acting like a thug on the field for years and the authorities finally caught up with ONCE. People talk about Donegal's style doing damage to the GAA football game, but I reckon characters like O'Se and the failure of the authorities to deal with the likes of him consistently enough would turn people away from GAA football in similar numbers.

'Mon the Dubs.
    is this a p***take or are you serious ??? " a scumbag thug who brought shame onto the GAA football field" ???

One of the finest exponents of the game in the modern era with a hard but hardly thuggish edge to his game .

i,m stunned by your post ! seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

JFlah wrote: »
    is this a p***take or are you serious ??? " a scumbag thug who brought shame onto the GAA football field" ???

One of the finest exponents of the game in the modern era with a hard but hardly thuggish edge to his game .

Report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hanleyc2

Assuming the Connolly red card appeal fails, how do you think the Dublin forwards will line out come throw in on AI Final day?

Straight swap for O'Gara or make some changes to accommodate McMenamin? Or other options?

I tell you what Tomas would be well advised to leave the thuggish side out of his game on All-Ireland day. He has exhibited the thuggish side to his game more than enough in the past.

I am not at all stunned by your mendacity. You're probably a Kerry fan who will routinely swear black is white when defending a Kerry player. That doesn't deflect from the truth that Tomas O'Se most definitely has or has displayed a "thuggish edge" to his game in the past as you put it.

hanleyc2 wrote: »
    Assuming the Connolly red card appeal fails, how do you think the Dublin forwards will line out come throw in on AI Final day?

Straight swap for O'Gara or make some changes to accommodate McMenamin? Or other options?

Flynn's likely to miss the final is he not? In which case you'd have to assume both O'Gara and McMeniman would play.

hanleyc2 wrote: »

definitely from a Dublin point of view accomodate McMenamin imo a far superior team with him on the field I don,t think O Gara adds a lot and is always in danger of seeing red

Report it.

Why? I think it's fair comment. Tomas O'Se is undoubtedly a talented footballer but has in the past let himself down with thuggish behaviour. Liam Hayes criticised Jack O'Connor for allowing incidents of thuggery to happen on his watch in the past. Fair comment too I reckon.

• Advertisement

The reason why Dublin have a chance is because there are goals to be had against the Kerry defence. With a bit more composure, Mayo would have got in for a at least 2.

Dublin need to cut the supply to Cooper, as if they go man for man on him, he will take his opposing number to the cleaners. The same goes for the other end, if Kerry just go man for man on Brogan, they will be in trouble. But I believe both teams will try to nullify the treat of the two main forwards by placing sweepers in front of each.

It will come down to who can gain control around the middle and more importantly who supply quality ball to the other forwards to put them in positions to score. I feel this is where Dublin are lacking, they dont seem to have a player who can pick the pass from long range or even put it into 'good space' for the forward. They rely mainly on Ger Brennan to supply that ball and I believe he cant.

Kerrys advantage is that their half forward line can drop deeper and collect ball and run and also take their scores from further out but they will have to as the Dublin defence will not let them come as far as the D and no further as they create a cordon around that area.

Dublin have to take every chance that comes their way to win it and they will get goal chances I have no doubt about that, but they need the right men on the ball at the time.

Should be a cracker of a game.

BTW Paul Flynn wears 10 and has never been a defender. All through his club career he was either a half forward or midfielder.

All of the above is what we Mayo people said before the semi final.

If you cut supply to Cooper what do you do about Darran O Sullivan and Donaghey ?

Advertisement