Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin v Kerry. All Ireland Football Final 2011 *** Mod Warning Post #647 ***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

its pretty obvious that kerry will win and i hope dublin make a good match out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No- I'd go as far to say I am arrogant.

Teams like this come along once in a lifetime. Might as well enjoy it.

The difference is watching the arrogance of the Media Pundits when Dublin have won Fu*k All.

The difference is watching Thomas O'Shea, Galvin, and other Kerry players get singled out and banned (rightly imo) but incidents like Mayo's players openly striking Kerry players not being banned. Galvin missing a season for hitting a ref's notebook and a Cavan player not being disciplined when he struck a referree.

Dublin get worked into a orgasmic frenzy coming up to big games in croke park and then Choke.

This will be the biggest Anti-Climax of them all. The Dublin players will love the attention for the three weeks, the replaying of the 77 All Ireland Semi Final, the replaying of the 95 Win, the endless hyperbole from Person's who know sfa about the game. The fair weather fans turning up and expecting a Dublin Victory because............well the Herald said so,

And the utter dejection when Kerry click in Croke Park in September and wash Dublin away. I can almost taste the ink from the Monday Press.

Arrogant. Damn right I am. And Proud of it. Ciarrai Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ok so lets go back to 2006 and see Kerry v Armagh.

How do Kerry beat Armagh's blanket defence ?

They move the ball fast and long to a big forward (Donaghey) and thus by-pass the blanket

So for Dublin to beat Donegal's blanket they move the ball quick and long into their forwards.

Did they do it, no they did not.

Why, cos they can't.

So at the end of the day it was not all Donegal's fault.

They Tried that all game, Where you watching ? But Donegal had 3 men on Brogan consistently. Donegal deployed the tactic far more than Armagh ever have. Cynical Fouls and Delaying Frees, rolling around on the pitch.
    When did you ever see Armagh at that in 2006? You didnt.

Only Kerry would have been far more cute when it comes to Frees. And The Gooch is the Cutest of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The difference is watching the arrogance of the Media Pundits when Dublin have won Fu*k All.

The difference is watching Thomas O'Shea, Galvin, and other Kerry players get singled out and banned (rightly imo) but incidents like Mayo's players openly striking Kerry players not being banned. Galvin missing a season for hitting a ref's notebook and a Cavan player not being disciplined when he struck a referree.

Dublin get worked into a orgasmic frenzy coming up to big games in croke park and then Choke.

This will be the biggest Anti-Climax of them all. The Dublin players will love the attention for the three weeks, the replaying of the 77 All Ireland Semi Final, the replaying of the 95 Win, the endless hyperbole from Person's who know sfa about the game. The fair weather fans turning up and expecting a Dublin Victory because............well the Herald said so,

And the utter dejection when Kerry click in Croke Park in September and wash Dublin away. I can almost taste the ink from the Monday Press.

*This view not representative of all Kerry fans

Look to be honest, both Kerry and Dublin are good sides.
    You'd be mad to go into a game like this cocky.
    I think Kerry are a better team, but It always comes down to the day thats in it.

Kerry have the AIF experience an so I think we'll win it but by 2-3 points at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Brendan97 wrote: »
    its pretty obvious that kerry will win and i hope dublin make a good match out of it

The only thing that is obvious is Kerry are a better team. They are as prone to disaster days as Dublin are to imploding in semi-finals. The better team does not always win.

I can see how the neutrals and Kerry folk expect Kerry to win, but being a Dub I can never agree with you. Come on Dublin, it won't be easy but you can do it! And if things go wrong on the day then by jaysus please do not let it be a massacre like in '09; I left Croke Park that day unsure if I'd ever come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

listermint wrote: »
    They Tried that all game, Where you watching ? But Donegal had 3 men on Brogan consistently. Donegal deployed the tactic far more than Armagh ever have. Cynical Fouls and Delaying Frees, rolling around on the pitch.

Dublin did plenty of the delay tactics and play acting themselves once they got the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Cant wait cant wait

cant f*ckin' wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

EDIT- It seems this thread is coming down to Kerry supporters and a few neutrals saying, objectively looking at one team in 8 of the last 9 All Ireland finals and a team that got washed out at the semi finals the last few years, haven't been there in 15 years and got utterly thrashed the last big game they met- saying, rightly, it's going to take one hell of an effort for Dublin to win this and one hell of an off day for Kerry where practically all their players would have to disappear on All Ireland final day.

Then we have the Dub supporters, rightly supporting their team saying Dublin can do it- but being bereft of ideas how.

Anything can happen in Sport- Offaly 1982 for example, but Kerry are the better team, make no mistake[/QUOTE]

Don't have a problem with posters objectively looking at the Dublin team ,Its the constant Anti Dublin Everything posters who piss me off,especially the ones from leinster,chips on there shoulder is not the word i would use to describe them,And your right looking at the statistics kerry should win, but stranger things have happened and its not impossible for them Dublin to do it.Ps did Dublin not beat kerry this year in the league ?

The stench of superiority doesn't suit anybody. It's interesting how most of what you're saying was applicable in previous years, but not so much this year. Where's the Dublin hype and the replaying of '95 happening because I've not seen any of it. By your logic you'd have utter disdain for any team that got to the final to play Kerry except Cork/Tyrone, after all none of the other teams have won anything either. But I get the feeling it's a little more to do with the fact it's Dublin you're facing, and you just want to get the boot in that little bit harder. It's a little disappointing tbh.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Dublin did plenty of the delay tactics and play acting themselves once they got the lead.

We can discuss that on the other Thread. Keep to context.

realies wrote: »
    Well at least Dublin will be going into this game as massive underdogs, so that's a help.Dublin have it in them to beat kerry on the day its not an impossibility.I would be quietly confident that we can do it.

Almost similar to our own semi final in the hurling that game v Donegal yesterday might be a massive help in keeping Dublin players feet on the ground. i think ye will do it. i have nothing against Kerry and have the greatest respect for them for the way they approach football but i think it could be the year of the dubs and it might'nt be a bad thing for another side to come back onto the roll of honour as opposed to Kerry sweeping the board all the time.

In the 2009 QF, Everything went wrong for Dublin that day. Kerry got off to a flyer and the real critical point was the save their goalkeeper made from Brogan. Had that gone in i think it would have gave Dublin a spurt of confidence but instead it gave Kerry the confidence to go on and win easily in the end, and it sucked the belief out of Dublin.
    Dublin will have learned alot from that and will approach the game different.

I suppose so long as ye dont win the minors im not that bothered ;)

realies wrote: »
    Don't have a problem with posters objectively looking at the Dublin team ,Its the constant Anti Dublin Everything posters who piss me off,especially the ones from leinster,chips on there shoulder is not the word i would use to describe them,

Yeah, it's very poor stuff to be honest and getting on my nerves too.
    And your right looking at the statistics kerry should win, but stranger things have happened and its not impossible for them Dublin to do it.Ps did Dublin not beat kerry this year in league ?

Don't bring in the League, it was a different Kerry, just like it was a different Kilkenny for the hurling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

i think pat spillane should just cop himself on. just because donegal don't want to play like kerry doesn't mean they should get all this abuse for the way they play. he knows if a team plays like kerry(the way he wants every team to play) unless they are exeptional, they will lose. now he is trying to turn everyone against blanket defence because he sees donegal will eventually play kerry and maybe beat them, he has seen it happen before with tyrone. he is just scared all teams will do this and kerry will lose their dominance of football and i hope dublin beat them. I am donegal but i hope the dubs win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Most of the opinion on this thread bar Dub fans appear to think it's a "done deal" for Kerry. I wouldn't be so sure about it, I'm not sure that this is a great Kerry team and Dublin with a head of steam could take them down. Dublin have a better team now with better players than they ever did under Paul Caffrey, Tommy Lyons and the 'celtic tiger' years of full houses in Croker every time the Dubs played.

Nothing like a big hefty Kerry Hard On

• Registered Users Posts: 15,010 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Only Kerry would have been far more cute when it comes to Frees. And The Gooch is the Cutest of them all.

Which brings us back to the point about Dublin having only one good forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Kerry fans remind me of Munster fans in a lot of ways.

1 to 15 nobody else from outside the county would get into our team and we are simply unbeatable.

But just like Munster, Kerry are facing a barren few years with no players coming through with distinct lack of success at underage.

The munster fans are beginning to desert their 'belove' Munster, could the same happen when in say 2 years time Kerry are struggling to reach an All Ireland quarter final?

The stench of superiority doesn't suit anybody. It's interesting how most of what you're saying was applicable in previous years, but not so much this year. Where's the Dublin hype and the replaying of '95 happening because I've not seen any of it. By your logic you'd have utter disdain for any team that got to the final to play Kerry except Cork/Tyrone, after all none of the other teams have won anything either. But I get the feeling it's a little more to do with the fact it's Dublin you're facing, and you just want to get the boot in that little bit harder. It's a little disappointing tbh.

The Lead up to the Semi Final in 99 had all this sort of affair- watch and see if RTE don't run a documentry on this game in the week running up to the final.

I don't rate Cork in Croke Park either- a review of my posts in the GAA Forum will show you that.

Once Cork went out this year's championship went out the window for me as there was no team left that could conceivably beat Kerry. Dublin simply don't have the tool set.

I'm not targeting Dublin in particular- I have nothing against the ordinary supporters or the team just the media bias that has nothing to do with either.

If Dublin win- they will earn my respect and the respect of a lot of other neutrals but I can't see how they could win this game and pointing that out and being arrogant about it doesn't make me anti Dublin, I'm simply pro Kerry

Which brings us back to the point about Dublin having only one good forward.

It doesnt, but you did. But alas il never change your opinion because you hate Dublin.

• Advertisement

We can discuss that on the other Thread. Keep to context.

You brought it up genius.

Do you expect to see Dublin employing the same cynical time-wasting and play acting in the final as was on display in the last ten minutes yesterday?

You brought it up genius.

Do you expect to see Dublin employing the same cynical time-wasting and play acting in the final as was on display in the last ten minutes yesterday?

Oh christ.... Listen my friend I brought that up as a direct comparison to Armaghs setup in 2006. Your the genius who brought your dublin donegal response into this thread. Now get back to the topic at hand and leave that stuff to the other thread.

Christ....

kilns wrote: »

1 to 15 nobody else from outside the county would get into our team and we are simply unbeatable.

But just like Munster, Kerry are facing a barren few years with no players coming through with distinct lack of success at underage.

The munster fans are beginning to desert their 'belove' Munster, could the same happen when in say 2 years time Kerry are struggling to reach an All Ireland quarter final?

I don't think so my friend.

Kerry do not have underage sucess because they pick on skill not on size and they bring through at least one player each year.

Barry John Keane, Tommy Walsh, Kirby, Riedy, D Moran, were all recent additions to the squad and expect to see more via this system- I'm was so sorry to see Walsh go as he was exceptional. None of these players have minor medals or U 21's.

I think Gooch's year might be the last time they won a minor but I'm unsure.

Kerry are not in decline- they are just future starts that you are not familiar with yet.

fckthat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

oh yes sorry, I forgot about that centre half back they have brought through and that quality midfield they have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Brendan97 wrote: »
    i think pat spillane should just cop himself on. just because donegal don't want to play like kerry doesn't mean they should get all this abuse for the way they play. he knows if a team plays like kerry(the way he wants every team to play) unless they are exeptional, they will lose. now he is trying to turn everyone against blanket defence because he sees donegal will eventually play kerry and maybe beat them, he has seen it happen before with tyrone. he is just scared all teams will do this and kerry will lose their dominance of football and i hope dublin beat them. I am donegal but i hope the dubs win
    If Donegal get as far as Kerry playing that football you might as well play it in Ballyshannon or Letterkenny, because there is no way on earth Kerry fans would pay 40e to watch that sh!te on the field.
    Pat Spillane (and he wasn't the only one by the way). Was dead right to criticize that performance.

Since the development of the game, there has been many rule changes.
    But since its been change to a 15 man game, the positions have never changed.
    1 Goalkeeper
    6 Backs (3 Full, 3 Half)
    2 Midfielders
    6 Forwards (3 Full 3 Half)

Someone should send that on to McGuinness (who is loved in Kerry due to his exploits with Tralee IT).
    I understand that you need to win games, but if thats the way Football is going then whats going to entice youngsters to play the game.

Is it going to be Colm Cooper kicking points off left and right. Or a great footballer Michael Murphy with talent to burn, funnelled back to his half back line, so that he has to solo past 6 or 7 players before he can get a chance to shoot.

People say "Its bad for football if Kerry keep winning All Irelands". But is it better for Football to see a team win by suffocating the opposition. I have no problem with kids looking at Karl Lacey or Naill McGee who are talented defenders. But to see the likes of Murphy, Toye Hegerty back in their own backline is not what you want to see. Every child dreams of kicking a winning point at Croke Park. They don't dream of being one of 6 men to surround another player until he overcarries the ball.

Sorry bout the Rant :/ Didn't expect it to go on so long.

oh yes sorry, I forgot about that centre half back they have brought through and that quality midfield they have

All this derision for Kerry playing a forward centre-back.

No mention of Dublin playing three backs in their half-forward line.

Kerry play with gusto, attacking flair and absolute abandon as evidenced by their choice of personnel in the heart of their defence. Dublin play with nine backs in their first choice 15.

I know which one I'd be more embarrassed about.

That was always on the cards. We've also seen it with the Ireland football team. No world cups = a downturn in attendance a la munster

All this derision for Kerry playing a forward centre-back.

No mention of Dublin playing three backs in their half-forward line.

Kerry play with gusto, attacking flair and absolute abandon as evidenced by their choice of personnel in the heart of their defence. Dublin play with nine backs in their first choice 15.

I know which one I'd be more embarrassed about.

You'd be embarrassed about getting to an all ireland final using "nine backs" would you? Its a pity about you

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    You'd be embarrassed about getting to an all ireland final using "nine backs" would you? Its a pity about you

Just responded to hyperbolic drool with some of my own. I'll happily discuss the merits of various systems with genuine posters, but I enjoy retrolling the trolls - mea culpa.

Advertisement