Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to hellfire club at night?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Good question. I'd be very interested in taking part now aswell.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Good question. I'd be very interested in taking part now aswell.

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Can we come up with a possy for this?!? How about next weekend, Fri or Sat night weather permitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

We should try and get an outing to it.

Like sticky a new thread and people can say whether they are up for it or not.

I'm dying for it anyways.

Maybe next weekend if the weather is a bit better. Pity we haven't a more regular ghost hunting meetup on the forum, I'd love to do an overnight in this venue, camp outside it, light a fire, etc.

• Advertisement

Looks like winter will be back with us before this ever get's done, c'mon folks!!!

Doyler92 wrote: »
    We should try and get an outing to it.

Like sticky a new thread and people can say whether they are up for it or not.

I'm dying for it anyways.

Anyone up for this, we seem to be getting a bit of a break in the ****ty weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im up for this. If its organised I will cbe there. Sort of an "if you build it they will come" sort of situation. But personally I think it should be preceded by a meet up a pub.

If someone organises it Ill be there but Im not bothered considering the last time we tried this I sat outside the Merry Ploughboy in the dark and the rain like a lonely swinger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Such is the nature of the internet, people will agree to go and either forget about it or back out at the last minute.

Riamfada wrote: »
    Im up for this. If its organised I will cbe there. Sort of an "if you build it they will come" sort of situation. But personally I think it should be preceded by a meet up a pub.

If someone organises it Ill be there but Im not bothered considering the last time we tried this I sat outside the Merry Ploughboy in the dark and the rain like a lonely swinger.

Ok, I hear ya, 'cos I know you were left sitting in the pub car park last time, (I was down in the HFC car park waiting for the gang!)...

I think a better pub to meet in for a meetup would be the Old Mill there in Firhouse, it's nearer to the HFC (only 2 minutes drive down the back road) and is a bit easier to get to for those not driving?

• Advertisement

The Old Mill is good for me

The Old Mill is good for me

One thing I've always wanted to do, (I've been up here more times than I've had hot dinners, hence the username!), was light a small campfire outside the place at night, to create a nice eerie kind of an atmosphere! I've been up here before so many times but the vast majority of times was in the day, have been up as well at night a handful of times, also at night when it was under heavy snow, which is amazing for some rarely seen scenery.

EDIT: What way is the weather looking this weekend?

HAHA, did you get any ? ? Just kidding, there is no such thing as swingers

When we doin this?!?

there is no such thing as swingers

That could be anything in those photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Was there on a school trip a few times. The only room that scared me was the back room on the bottom floor. Just gave me a very weird feeling!

Anyone ever see the show "world's scariest places" or something to that effect, think it used to be on Living TV. Two girls stayed over in the place for an investigation. They didn't see much but that didn't stop them screaming constantly like little girls, very annoying :L Scariest thing about that show was the voice-over girl, she sounded demented!

Definitely wouldn't go up on my own at any time of the day, just in case. It's not the most inviting of places but I love it in a weird way all the same! It's a fascinating place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

if this place wasnt on the other side of the country id go for a visit tomorrow :D

if this place wasnt on the other side of the country id go for a visit tomorrow :D

It's literally on my doorstep, am going for a wander up at dusk, seeing as nobody else is arsed making a scary trip out of it!

It's literally on my doorstep, am going for a wander up at dusk, seeing as nobody else is arsed making a scary trip out of it!

if i lived closer id join ya! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

No one believes me when i say this but a gang of us pitched tents about 25 years ago on the floors down stairs. We stayed there all night and slept grand. We are getting ready to lie down when a few lads came up with there girlfriends. When they saw us they laughed.

We were 12 and with the scouts. It must have been embarresing for them to hang around with us.

if i lived closer id join ya! :(

If you had a vagina I'd collect ye! :D:D:D

If you had a vagina I'd collect ye! :D:D:D

lol the clue is in my username!

lol the clue is in my username!

That's why I said, "if"!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm up for this lads,

lets set a date and time and make ourselfs there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Hi..just browsing around this site...have you guys made that trip to the h.f.c...meself and my bro have been up a few times its an interesting place...the brother reakons those few steps on the left as your looking at the building..were for mounting ones horse...anybody confirm?? and interestingly if one google maps the site the cairn that the stones came from (and the legend)is quiet clearly seen behind the building.

Maudi wrote: »
    Hi..just browsing around this site...have you guys made that trip to the h.f.c...meself and my bro have been up a few times its an interesting place...the brother reakons those few steps on the left as your looking at the building..were for mounting ones horse...anybody confirm?? and interestingly if one google maps the site the cairn that the stones came from (and the legend)is quiet clearly seen behind the building.

Yeah that's exactly what those steps were for. Also, if you look at the outside of the front of the building, you can see the marks of an old staircase that provided access to what was then a loft for servants in the roof of the building.

You can also find evidence of melted tar that at some stage ran down the front wall of the building. This melted tar that can be seen on some of the front of the building, has been there since an event in 1849, when protesters hauled barrels of tar up on top of the building, for the purposes of lighting a fire of protest, against the visit of Queen Elizabeth that year. The plan was for her to see the fire as her ship sailed into Dublin during the night...

There is a mention of the 1849 protest here, along with more interesting HFC info...

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_irish/history_irish_hellfire.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Yeah that's exactly what those steps were for. Also, if you look at the outside of the front of the building, you can see the marks of an old staircase that provided access to what was then a loft for servants in the roof of the building.

You can also find evidence of melted tar that at some stage ran down the front wall of the building. This melted tar that can be seen on some of the front of the building, has been there since an event in 1849, when protesters hauled barrels of tar up on top of the building, for the purposes of lighting a fire of protest, against the visit of Queen Elizabeth that year. The plan was for her to see the fire as her ship sailed into Dublin during the night...

There is a mention of the 1849 protest here, along with more interesting HFC info...

http://www.turtlebunbury.com/history/history_irish/history_irish_hellfire.htm
    That must have been some blaze...can you imagine tar on fire on that roof!!looking out as it does over the city..what a sight it must have been...theres curious recesses in a couple of the rooms..what would you reakon they were for?statues maybe.

• Advertisement

That must have been some blaze...can you imagine tar on fire on that roof!!looking out as it does over the city..what a sight it must have been...theres curious recesses in a couple of the rooms..what would you reakon they were for?statues maybe.

I often wondered what these were there for, still no idea! I remember stories as a young lad when I'd have been up there with the scouts, of those alcoves being for naked women to stand in to dance and entertain the drunken bucks in the HFC, but that was just kids imaginations I'd say, as the alcoves are too small for someone to stand in. A more likely explanation I'd say was that the alcoves were built for small statutes to be placed there, that's assuming that they are even part of the original build of the house and not something that was added by the OPW over the years...

Another thing that I meant to say in my last post, is if you go into the ruin and go up the stairs and into the room on the right at the top of the stairs, the wall that will be facing you as you enter that room, there is what appears to be some very old graffiti carved into that wall, I saw what appears to be a name and a reference to a year in the early 1800's, carved into the stone in small writing, barely legible but there none the less.

Advertisement