Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to hellfire club at night?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

lolo62 wrote: »
    wow thats not the kind of thing you want to run into...ive heard rumours too about satanic rituals...

i LOVE the mountains also but tend to steer clear at night...do you go up there regularly after dark?

Lol no, but over the years I've often gone walking up there in the autumn or winter in the afternoon or early evening and it would be dark by the time I'd get back down. I know the area so well it wouldn't bother me walking down the hill when it's started to get dark. I used to live at the foot of the hill near the Old Mill Pub and it was my favourite place for a walk a few times a week, especially in the summer.

I've been up there hundreds of times as I lived so near the hill and the only time I've ever seen anything odd up there was morning I went into the house and saw the aftermath of a satanic ritual of some sort the night before. Only one other time last summer did I ever feel uncomfortable up there and that was when I encountered junkie scum on the way up the hill and that was in broad day light and just some idiot dope stoned off his head who was acting a bit ropey, trying to start a conversation with me as he passed me by, (he was heading up the hill and I was heading down).

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Whats the easiest way up? I know theres a steep hill up but I think theres a long way round am I right?

Long way is where you go right up the length of the carpark, the track sort of switches back on itself, then you take a right at a little "cross-roads" and head straight on up.

Easiest/most direct route is to take a left as you come into the carpark past the main barrier, there are 3 wooden posts there at the start of the track up, presumably to block quads/dirt bikes. Head straight up from there. It's harder on the legs coming back down, but here's a tip - sort of "sit back" into your hips as you're coming down, almost as if you're leaning your weight backwards at the hips. Your quads will thank you in the morning!

If you're up there at night make sure you're especially careful coming down as well with torches etc. the track is VERY uneven and rugged, it wouldn't be hard to turn an ankle :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 edenderry voice of paranormal

we investigated the hellfire club not so long ago. its a great place. I was left alone in there while the lads went outside.

we investigated the hellfire club not so long ago. its a great place. I was left alone in there while the lads went outside.

It was never haunted or alleged to be haunted! The Hell Fire Club (which was never haunted or associated with any alleged paranormal activity), is always confused with Kilakee House, which is a different building beside the car park, which was said to be haunted and was said to have been subject to poltergeist activity in the 1970's...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It was never haunted or alleged to be haunted! The Hell Fire Club (which was never haunted or associated with any alleged paranormal activity), is always confused with Kilakee House, which is a different building beside the car park, which was said to be haunted and was said to have been subject to poltergeist activity in the 1970's...

Come on now, as some one who's lived in Tallaght all my life I've always been told/thought it was haunted, the house too for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

CianRyan wrote: »
    Come on now, as some one who's lived in Tallaght all my life I've always been told/thought it was haunted, the house too for that matter.

Whats stories? I'm not sure how a house that hasn't been inhabited in 100 years could have haunted stories.

The only fable I heard was about how it burnt down, something to do with the devil and a card game

CianRyan wrote: »

Nope not haunted, associated with satanic rituals and the occult, yes, but there have never been any reported sightings of ghosts in the building or any reports of paranormal activity in the building. There is a constant stream of people climbing the hill and visiting the Hell Fire Club building and that has been the case for the last 200 years, so I'm sure if there was any paranormal activity going on there, we'd have heard reports of it by now...

Kilakee House is a different matter, there are reports back in the 70's of the house and it's immediate grounds being haunted by a large black phantom cat, also the apparition of a nun is said to have appeared at a window and there were reports of extensive poltergeist activity in the 1970's also, which were widely reported, RTE did a documentary on it which as far as I know may be available on YouTube.

But it's important to remember that these are two different buildings with two completely different histories, nearly a mile away from each other.

The reason people are wary of The Hell Fire Club is because of it's alleged associations with satanic ritual and occult activities over the years, but it has never to my knowledge been the site of any paranormal apparition or of any type of unexplainable activity.

A little known fact about the Hell Fire Club building is that in the past, the grounds immediately outside the house was the site chosen on three occasions for a duelling challenge at dawn to settle a dispute between two men, where they stand back to back with a firearm, then walk 40 paces away from each other and then turn around and try to shoot dead their adversary, thereby winning the duel and finally settling their dispute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

A few of us went up to masseys last night just at the foot of the hill,it was pitch black so other than torches we could see nothing,after about 10 mins I got the freakiest feeling that I needed to turn around,at the gate was a car parked up sitting there lights on for about 3 mins and drove off,the ladies freaked out and we left,was so weird though just getting the feeling that something was behind me.

A few of us went up to masseys last night just at the foot of the hill,it was pitch black so other than torches we could see nothing,after about 10 mins I got the freakiest feeling that I needed to turn around,at the gate was a car parked up sitting there lights on for about 3 mins and drove off,the ladies freaked out and we left,was so weird though just getting the feeling that something was behind me.

I was up at the HFC for a walk yesterday evening, it was just before dark, I bumped into one or two folks/couples walking up there and there was a party of 3/5 folks camping just a few metres from the old ruin, it was pitch dark by the time I came down from the summit as I got a phone call at the summit, it is certainly a foreboding and somewhat errie place to be walking after dark but it's all in the mind I think!

I was up at the HFC for a walk yesterday evening, it was just before dark, I bumped into one or two folks/couples walking up there and there was a party of 3/5 folks camping just a few metres from the old ruin, it was pitch dark by the time I came down from the summit as I got a phone call at the summit, it is certainly a foreboding and somewhat errie place to be walking after dark but it's all in the mind I think!

Very true and I would def attend any paranormal beers up there:D

• Advertisement

Very true and I would def attend any paranormal beers up there:D

Have to say if I ever had to leave Ireland, it's probably the only place I'd really really miss. Over the years, it's been the place I've always gone to for a walk when I had to clear the auld head or to get a perspective on some problem or another.

Have to say if I ever had to leave Ireland, it's probably the only place I'd really really miss. Over the years, it's been the place I've always gone to for a walk when I had to clear the auld head or to get a perspective on some problem or another.

*Starts to think HellFireClub is the devil*:pac:

I know what you mean I can see it clear as day from my house and I do be up around that area(usually masseys)for walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 edenderry voice of paranormal

my team investigated the hellfire club over a month ago. Was left inside alone, great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They were probably just up there for some dogging, nothin to worry about :D

Dave! wrote: »

Well the fookers ruined it for me!!!!! lol

Haha that's another thing about that whole area from Kilakee down as far as Glencree, it's a real lovers lane for couples who haven't got their own place yet!

Haha that's another thing about that whole area from Kilakee down as far as Glencree, it's a real lovers lane for couples who haven't got their own place yet!

Ive seen the garda around a good bit especially viewpoint.....and ive seen a guy **** up there:eek:

I was going to go camping for the night up by the Hell Fire Club, the bit of sun earlier on looked promising but it's lashing rain now so not looking like such a good idea...

I was going to go camping for the night up by the Hell Fire Club, the bit of sun earlier on looked promising but it's lashing rain now so not looking like such a good idea...

ah gwon:p

ah gwon:p

Gonna give it a go next weekend, this storm on the way in is a showstopper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I was just up there for some dogging, nothin to worry about :D

I fixed that post for you Dave:D

Don't ban me, please!

Glad to see that CCTV cameras have recently been installed in the car park, might keep some of the riff raff out of the area.

Glad to see that CCTV cameras have recently been installed in the car park, might keep some of the riff raff out of the area.

Is that in the car park itself? as I tend to park at the gates after hours if im going for a walk.

Is that in the car park itself? as I tend to park at the gates after hours if im going for a walk.

I only noticed this last week, a brand new steel pole in the car park and two CCTV camera's on the pole, the whole thing is powered by solar panels that are attached to the pole and the camera's also work at night, I was up there last week and it was dark when I was coming down and I could see the infra red glow coming off an IR lamp at the top of the pole.

The car park is locked during the week, so I'm assuming the logic behind putting the CCTV into the car park is maybe to try to make it more safe during the weekend when it's opened up. I always park out on the road, they should put CCTV out there as well, I think twice I've come down from walking up there over the years to find distraught people come back to their cars only to find that a window has been shattered or a door forced open by scumbags driving along that way on their way up to the viewing point. These scumbags would be hoping there would be a handbag in the boot...

Am up here looking down on Dublin, will post a pic later, a bit blustery and drizzly but place deserted as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

We should all go up together some night

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Riamfada wrote: »

As long as there is no dogging involved. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Riamfada wrote: »

I'm up for it!
    Oryx wrote: »
    As long as there is no dogging involved. :)

Oh... nevermind... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I heard a story about the area where the Hellfire Club is don't know how true it is but it always gives me the willies, my friends brother in law was writing a story about the Occult and was researching satanic rituals and things of that nature and happened to be talking to a Priest and mentioned what he was doing and asked him if he had any experiences or thoughts on the matter and the Priest said to him "You should never look for the Devil because he'll take that as invitation to find you" and refused to talk anymore on the subject.
    So sometime later the guy (I'll call him John) was driving from the Hellfire Club it was the wee small hours and it was a nice clear night when suddenly a thick fog appeared across the road so John slowed down, not really knowing the roads well he was crawling along when suddenly a figure of a man in a bowler hat appeared running beside the car banging on his window it shouted "Let me in!" "Let me in" "LET ME IN" but something about how the man said it was threatening so spooked by this John sped up as best as he could given the bad conditions and when he looked the man couldn't be seen anymore and within seconds the fog just lifted. Understandably creeped out he was glad to get back into the more built up areas. He came to a stop at a traffic traffic light and just as the light turned green and he started to round the corner he saw sitting on the wall the very same man in the bowler hat who gave him a sly wink and a wave. Within a blink of his eye he was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Sounds like your typical Hellfire Club story. Plenty of variations to be heard.

Advertisement