Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women who ask about your job and how much you earn!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Been asked what i do for a living a lot by women, at first i used to think it meant they were shallow but i don't any more. A lot of people see this as a perfectly normal question to ask someone. I try never to ask this question myself but i'm sure i have.

Asking how much a person earns is very rude i think , I've only been asked this a few times and it's always been by friends, i just tell them i'd rather not say.
    I think if i was out on a night out and a girl i was chatting to me asked me this then i'd probably end the conversation.

I think a worse question then how much you earn is "what car do you drive" that's kinda just a roundabout way of asking how much you earn i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Not really, if you're into cars.

It depends I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

stovelid wrote: »
    Lie about salary.

Ride them once.

Dumpsville.

But what if they want to have a ride in the back of your Bentley or on the garden terrace of your penthouse apartment? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Despite what people say, accountants are always the best craic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I would never ask that. An ex tried to tell me once and I stopped him talking and told him I didn't want to know. At the time I was a student and knew it had to be a lot more than me in my part time crap job, didn't need him rubbing it in! I was a little afraid of what might possibly happen to me if I knew of all the things he could afford to buy me too :pac:

Only time I would ever ask is if I were living with him. Hopefully will move in with my boyfriend the year after next and I'll need to know then so we can decide what kind of place we can afford and for bills. But would never ask otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

I think a worse question then how much you earn is "what car do you drive" that's kinda just a roundabout way of asking how much you earn i think.

I don't think any girl would be trying to figure out your salary by asking about your car. I would often ask people this and I have zero interest in how much they earn for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

ur mentor wrote: »
    But its my opinion that most women have placed you in some frame of reference within 60 seconds of meeting you... your shoes, haircut, watch, clothes, accent are among their mapping points. all very biased I know but there it is.

Uh oh...I clearly fail at being a woman! Most mens shoes & haircuts look pretty similar to me, the only time I notice watches is when my brother (who is obsessed) waves his in front of my nose and as for clothes, well, I'm not a fashinista so as long as they're clean I'm happy. :D

Asking what someone earns is rude though and I can't see the motivation behind it at all. On the asking "what do you do?" front though, it's something I regularly ask people, moreso as I've gotten a bit older.

The reason for me asking is that generally, this is something that people spend a significant portion of their life doing and it interests me. Do they enjoy it, was it a childhood ambition, did they study for their job at college or change careers - all of this is interesting to me. I also love it when people are passionate about what they do for a living. It has absolutely nothing to do with income.

I have, on occasion, had some odd reactions to asking it, which actually kind of amuses me. The funny thing is, it has become something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. The guys who have reacted badly are those of the mindset that 'women are golddiggers' and by asking what they do, I simply confirm this for them - despite the income they derive from doing that job not even crossing my mind.

Really, it's not going to make much difference to me. My interest in a persons career has nothing to do with income - but if I accidentally offend someone by asking then, to be honest, they're unlikely to be the kind of person I'd spend time with anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

I don't think any girl would be trying to figure out your salary by asking about your car. I would often ask people this and I have zero interest in how much they earn for a living.

I would ask to find out if they drove one of those big SUV's. If they did that'd be a deal breaker right there. Also I dig certain kinds of cars, as shallow as it may be. That's not to say I'd only be interested in them if they had a nice car, mind. And it can also be just something to talk about if you're both into cars or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'd echo many other posters by asking, where are these women you talk to?

Often asked what I do but I'd see that purely as a conversational question, unless I had good reason to think otherwise.

I've never been asked how much I make in that context. I'm mid twenties and only working full time a few years since university so maybe they assume it's not much :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

If asked what I do I say "software engineer" - there are never follow on questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ive been asked a handfull of times, always understate sallary to a huge extent , if they keep talking to me then ok it was just an odd question , if they walk away - just another gold digger not worth my time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Say you work in pharmaceuticals and sideline in the defense industry.

Seriously, it is a nuisance question and one that is commonly asked by those light of imagination. Treat it as a joke on a first encounter and hope the conversation picks up.

How much do you earn ? is a "nice meeting you, its not you, its your perfume" moment.

"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

The "How much do you earn?" question is just an upgrade from the more traditional "How much land do you have?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What I do is go to a foreign city and find a ordinary ol' job in, say, a fast food restaurant and try to meet suitable brides. Now I don't tell them that I'm a fabulously wealthy African prince...

oh wait...

that was a movie.

Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭I made the BBC

The "How much do you earn?" question is just an upgrade from the more traditional "How much land do you have?"

Maybe they're working towards "do you have road frontage?" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Hmm ok maybe i'm being a bit harsh, but i mean when it's the second or third question i'm asked. If they are car enthusiasts then that's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Will wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever been asked the question though, personally I couldn't care about my wages and wouldn't have a problem telling someone if they asked.

just out of interest, how much do you earn?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Never been asked, but no problems discussing it with mates tbh were fairly open about that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Never been asked, but no problems discussing it with mates tbh were fairly open about that sort of stuff.

Really? I find it never comes up among my friends and I don't know what most of them earn. Well, within a range. I know that some of them are in well-paid jobs and some are starting out on low-earning careers, but I could only guess ballpark. It's one of those taboo things you don't really ask people, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If you're making good money and in a respectable job, you're not going to mind the "what do you do" question (the "how much do you earn ?" is a sign of stupidity. Even gold-diggers know damn well not to go there)
    However, plenty of perfectly nice people don't have a job to brag about. That's when it gets annoying and the temptation to lie comes in. BTW I am an astronaut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

If you're making good money and in a respectable job, you're not going to mind the "what do you do" question (the "how much do you earn ?" is a sign of stupidity. Even gold-diggers know damn well not to go there)
    However, plenty of perfectly nice people don't have a job to brag about. That's when it gets annoying and the temptation to lie comes in. BTW I am an astronaut.

what's an astronaut take home salary these days !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what's an astronaut take home salary these days !!

out of this world

astronomical

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bluewolf wrote: »
    out of this world

astronomical

Pfft, it's not rocket science :rolleyes: Explains why they are not very down to earth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Malari wrote: »
    Pfft, it's not rocket science :rolleyes: Explains why they are not very down to earth.

heads in the clouds all right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

At least they have some ambition and...shoot for the stars :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'll be writing about the standard of these puns in the feedback thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd disagree. I'd say that's exactly what they are doing. Why else would someone ask?

I don't think I've ever asked a guy what type of car they drive unless I was going out with them already. And even at that , it's only to know what to look out for if they're picking me up!

Jeez, didn't ever think there was anything wrong with asking someone what they did for a living although usually I'd ask "so what do you do with yourself?" which a person can take to mean I'm asking them about their job or their hobbies. It's just a conversation starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd disagree. I'd say that's exactly what they are doing. Why else would someone ask?

I would ask as I would genuinely be interested in the car and could potentially be something that we have in common. My cars have no reflection on my salary and I would be more impressed if they drove an old Jap import car at a fraction of the cost of some 2011 brand new SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I would ask as I would genuinely be interested in the car and could potentially be something that we have in common. My cars have no reflection on my salary and I would be more impressed if they drove an old Jap import car at a fraction of the cost of some 2011 brand new SUV.

I'd say it's a mixture of both really.
    It probably is just a friendly question, but there can be circumstances where a guy/girl may think because a car is more expensive, they're clearly richer and worth going out with.

For example this or this.
    One of these will get you a lot more attention :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I've been asked and wasn't offended.
    It works both ways though, you don't want to end up with a dole monkey.

Advertisement