Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women who ask about your job and how much you earn!

Options
  • 24-08-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Some women ask these questions or variations of them in a social context within a short time of meeting a guy for the first time.

The 'what do you work at?' question is quite common. Virtually every person you meet will eventually ask this out of curiosity.

'How much do you earn?' is invasive and personal. It is rare, but I have been asked it on a couple of occasions.

I don't even tell my friends how much I earn. Mainly because I know I earn more than some and I earn less than others and I don't want to create an awkward scenario.

How have you reacted in the past to these situations?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't earn a set wage so I can easily avoid it. Personally though, I wouldn't be keen on someone who had an interest in my wages anyway, even when someone asks me where I'm from I just say the city. I am what I am and I don't like been judged on where I'm from or how much money I earn.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

py2006 wrote: »
    Some women ask these questions or variations of them in a social context withing a short time of meeting a guy for the first time.

The 'what do you work at?' question is quite common. Virtually every person you meet will eventually ask this out of curiosity.

'How much do you earn?' is invasive and personal. It is rare, but I have been asked it on a couple of occasions.

I don't even tell my friends how much I earn. Mainly because I know I earn more than some and I earn less than others and I don't want to create an awkward scenario.

How have you reacted in the past to these situations?

I find the first question, about what do you work at a fairly common question and its something I would have no problem asking someone as its a general topic of conversation..

However if someone asks me what do I earn, they get the cold shoulder very quickly, its none of their business and I would have no problem telling them that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

It called absaloutly none of your buisness and I'd probably stop talking to her... there an then....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

"Statistically more than you" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Any woman that asks how much you earn is nothing but a jersey dragger! Walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I get asked by men as often as women "what do you work at" and I have never had a single man or woman ask me exactly how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I earn euros.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Where are all these women asking about salaries, I have never heard of such a thing
    Not that I would be asked but what a "none of your business" question :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

extremely impolite to ask people directly how much they earn, especially strangers! I'd even find that a no-go topic with friends, probably even family. My OH doesn't see this as an issue though and would discuss how much he earns/ask close friends and family about their earnings, the cost of things etc - but asking strangers is surely considered a no no by everyone? Maybe just ask some personal question back to demonstrate the point - perhaps along the lines of 'when was your last 1 night stand?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

In some cultures asking how much you earn is quite common e.g japanese and chinese and a sign that the person asking feels they know you well enough and are good friends.

Don't think I've ever been asked the question though, personally I couldn't care about my wages and wouldn't have a problem telling someone if they asked. I'd never ask someone how much they earn, you can roughly estimate anyway if you know what they work at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've never been asked directly how much I earn.

Maybe the odd offhand questions like "Well that can't pay to much" or similar.
    If people do start to hint towards it I tend to just respond with something along the lines of "Enough to get by" and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

They usually ask "What do you do?" and you know that means what you work at. Only one time this woman asked me what car did I drive so I lied and said a 2011 Audi A4. Ended up snogging her and then fecked off to chat up other girls. She seemed quite miffed when I went past her a while later. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Only one time this woman asked me what car did I drive so I lied and said a 2011 Audi A4. Ended up snogging her and then fecked off to chat up other girls. She seemed quite miffed when I went past her a while later. Ah well

I forgot to add the 'What do you drive?' question!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

py2006 wrote: »
    I forgot to add the 'What do you drive?' question!

yeah I got that before too, my response, "a car as the tractor was a b*tch to park in the city".. that usually was enough of a hint for the conversation to take another direction :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

"...about on a par with my portfolio income"

*swoon*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭I made the BBC

I think that's so inappropriate! :eek:
    I'd never ever ask a guy how much he earns!
    These days its a bit of a minefield to even ask what somebody does. When I came home a couple of years ago I was unemployed for a few months and I used to hate when people asked me what I did! "I watch a lot of daytime tv in my pjs.....awkward eh?" :pac:

I know its probably just impulse for a lot of people to ask somebody what they do for a living, but I don't tend to do it unless they ask me first.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

"I watch a lot of daytime tv in my pjs.....awkward eh?" :pac:

Well to be fair if you made the BBC you're entitled to watch it every day :pac:

I've never had a woman ask me how much I earn. They may ask me what I do for a living but I always felt it was just a conversational thing rather than 'snooping' for info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Some people get offended when you ask what they do, but some people think it's conversational. I haven't ever considered it a rude or snooping question, just curiosity. I think the income question is odd, but I could see it becoming fairly common for a variety of reasons.

While I'm not the type to be too interested in or curious about it, I have to say I don't see that it's so rude or wrong really. I don't think it's any more superficial for a woman's interest to be based primarily on the size of a man's bank account than for a man's interest to be based primarily on a woman's physical assets, and since income isn't so obvious as T&A, they have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

ask the former, as indeed Irish people do. and it got the point where i stopped making new friends with my own compatriots!

I seldom had this problem with other nationals..We're so materialistic and status obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Never been asked how much I earn.
    When asked what do I do? I usually reply with a past time, biking, mountain climbing, writing poetry, etc.
    Sometimes a woman will persist and ask 'No what do you do for a living'?
    If this follow up question happens quickly I know so much about the woman already . ..Clearly she is more interested in my income and money (or at least in putting me into an income 'box') than in my hobbies..So if that is her game well..she will be rewarded with a good story. And you know the expression about not letting the truth get in the way of a good story.

However if conversation develops about the activities then it can get quite interesting.

But its my opinion that most women have placed you in some frame of reference within 60 seconds of meeting you... your shoes, haircut, watch, clothes, accent are among their mapping points. all very biased I know but there it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just say, 'Seen as I'm a man, more than you!'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭newport2

Maguined wrote: »
    I get asked by men as often as women "what do you work at" and I have never had a single man or woman ask me exactly how much.

Same as me, never encountered it. It's extremely ignorant to ask someone what they earn - as it is to volunteer information about yourself and how much you earn, which is something I've experienced more.

As regards "what do you do for a living?", an everyday question I'd often ask myself. The great thing is, I work in IT, so as soon as I answer this question, people's eyes glaze over and they change the subject :)

newport2 wrote: »
    The great thing is, I work in IT, so as soon as I answer this question, people's eyes glaze over and they change the subject :)

Ditto.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

What I find worse is the people who boast about how much they earn and then stare at you expectantly. There's one guy who talks about his income in this way constantly. I'm a postgrad student, which he knows (it's a friend of my boyfriend who does this), so I'm hardly raking it in! Plus an awful lot of our friends are students/unemployed/at entry-level or minimum wage positions, so it makes for very uncomfortable conversation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Just say, 'Seen as I'm a man, more than you!'
    Even better if they say "seeing as I'm a man..."
    :pac:
    jokettle wrote: »
    What I find worse is the people who boast about how much they earn and then stare at you expectantly. There's one guy who talks about his income in this way constantly. I'm a postgrad student, which he knows (it's a friend of my boyfriend who does this), so I'm hardly raking it in! Plus an awful lot of our friends are students/unemployed/at entry-level or minimum wage positions, so it makes for very uncomfortable conversation.

Oh that's so stupid. Ask him why he can't buy any manners or cop on with all his money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

bluewolf wrote: »

Oh that's so stupid. Ask him why he can't buy any manners or cop on with all his money

I've been tempted, many times. It just wouldn't sink in though. Money doesn't buy you social etiquette, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It does buy you lots of cool stuff though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I wouldn't have a problem with someone asking about my job. I mean its something you do for about 40 + hours a week so being interested in it isn't that weird imo. Unless of course its a snooping question trying to figure out how well off you are. But in general its just a conversational question along with 'what are your hobbies?' to me.

I don't care if people know how much I earn either, but asking it with a 'you earn loads, therefore I find you attractive' attitude is so stuck-up. In general I guess I would be taken aback if someone asked me how much I earn, but if there's a good reason for it then I don't care.

Guess the reason behind asking is what matters to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lie about salary.

Ride them once.

Dumpsville.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lie about salary.

Ride them once.

Dumpsville.

Advertisement