Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Johnmb wrote: »
    You need to recheck your facts. The A4, and the A5, were designed by Apple. They contracted Samsung to manufacture them. That's why there are no A4 or A5 chips in any non-Apple devices. They have contracted someone else to build the A6, and there have been rumours that the new contractor may also start building the A5 as Apple become fed up with Samsung copying them.

Copying so much that apple have to change things around on court submissions to make it look that way. (Such as showing a menu screen to be the same as the ios home screen even though the icon grid as an app list has been around for years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Did that guy Cooke, make any reference to improvements to the dropped call situation pertaining to the 4 model in particular? Afterall it's supposed to be a phone first and foremost, and a box of tricks secondly. In fact the 4 is a wonderful box of tricks, but a poor to almost middeling phone:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Did that guy Cooke, make any reference to improvements to the dropped call situation pertaining to the 4 model in particular? Afterall it's supposed to be a phone first and foremost, and a box of tricks secondly. In fact the 4 is a wonderful box of tricks, but a poor to almost middeling phone:(
    It's supposed to be the first phone in the world that can switch between antennae for both sending and receiving information. That will stop any dropped calls (although I never noticed any such problems with my iPhone 4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

mad muffin wrote: »
    To those that got the iPhone 4 in Ireland on it's release day, could you preorder or had to get it on release day?

I got mine of O2 on release day but i needed to be eligible for an upgrade as it

was only available for those who had an upgrade. It was not made available

from O2 to new customers for couple of months after release.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

To those that got the iPhone 4 in Ireland on it's release day, could you preorder or had to get it on release day?
    Pre-ordered the day before release with Vodafone just by calling into my local shop.

Unlike with O2 I wasn't an existing customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Thanks guys.

Sorry I was thinking more in terms of pre orders from Apple sim free.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

Question for anyone that has iOS5 on their iPhone already:

Is a "version" of siri included in the software?

I can imagine that for some of the higher end stuff siri can do, that the A5 chip is probably a pre-requisite, but surely the A4 in the IP4 could do some of the basics like dictating a text message?

I upgraded almost a year ago from the 3GS and that was a big leap. I don't see the 4S as being such a big leap, so I don't think I'll be upgrading at this stage......BUT the siri stuff does look very cool and it would be great to get something like that running on the IP4

Siri is only available on the 4S ,, im sure it would be capable as it is only software and isn't the processing done on the server side but the same i think was done when moving from 3G to 3GS with voice control

does it search the internet?? ,, my thinking is they designed Siri to search wolfram alpha and wiki cos .. well would they want to use it to search google and Bing aka MS
    how many have used wolfram alpha since its inception.. seems a bit gimmicky on that end

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Very disappointing that Apple are only releasing a 4S. However, I reckon (and maybe I'm crazy here) that they opted for this because of time constraints and commercial pressure, and that the 5 will be released sooner than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

The 4 was released last June I think that’s what 16 months,, that’s not much of a time constraint,, If it was nearly ready then why would they not wait a few months,, who knows why they took this long ,, mfg issues ,, software issues

It is usually a year before they will bring out another phone so it looks like Oct 2012,, if they do it in June they this could p**s off a lot of people who bought the 4S..i reckon your crazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I reckon the issue was that apple didnt expect the competition to progress so much in the time since the iphone was unveiled, no wonder they're suing samsung and what not..

What question this whole thing does raise though, is when the next iphone incarnation will be unveiled, will it be 1 year from now, or will it revert back to a June unveiling? As far as i can see, the only real new thing in the 4S is the dual core chip. More storage and the better specc'ed camera are nothing that couldn't have been done in June 2010. Put it this way, i can see the hype from this event will be gone very soon, the average person on the street will notice no difference in their iphone, and IMO, image is a big part of iphone ownership.

All the hype in the next few months will probably be about Android 4.0 and Google's next Nexus phone, as well as the Galaxy S3 which will probably be unveiled in February, at the latest.

• Advertisement

I always said that the delay was probably due to ios 5 or siri not being ready in time.

What I don't understand is all the hubbub because they stuck to the same design and screen size.

The A5 with its PwerVr543MP2 gpu is still the fastet SOC out there faster that the SGII even.

I think the 4S is going to be a superb smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Anyone have an idea for when Apple Ireland will be taking pre-orders for the 4S ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea for when Apple Ireland will be taking pre-orders for the 4S ?

Pre order from 7th Oct for availability on the 14th Oct.

kceire wrote: »
    Pre order from 7th Oct for availability on the 14th Oct.

That's not for Ireland though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I reckon the issue was that apple didnt expect the competition to progress so much in the time since the iphone was unveiled, no wonder they're suing samsung and what not..

What question this whole thing does raise though, is when the next iphone incarnation will be unveiled, will it be 1 year from now, or will it revert back to a June unveiling? As far as i can see, the only real new thing in the 4S is the dual core chip. More storage and the better specc'ed camera are nothing that couldn't have been done in June 2010. Put it this way, i can see the hype from this event will be gone very soon, the average person on the street will notice no difference in their iphone, and IMO, image is a big part of iphone ownership.

All the hype in the next few months will probably be about Android 4.0 and Google's next Nexus phone, as well as the Galaxy S3 which will probably be unveiled in February, at the latest.

They would need to be unbelievably thick If they didn't expect the other big hitters to improve dramatically when Apple are only going to refresh every 12/16 months. Part of the problem is there is nowhere to go.....
    bigger screen? No thanks, more than half way to a tablet, if you look at some of those big screen Androids.
    Thinner? So it can snap in my pocket? I think not.
    Bigger MP in the camera....does it really need 8MP? 5MP was plenty for me.
    Do I care which processor is in the HTC/Blackberry/LG/Sony? No, as long as mine is quick.
    The iPhone 4 does me as it is. I can browse when I need to, answer emails, sync with my Macs, use it for presentations. As far as I'm concerned better battery life would do me just dandy.

I always said that the delay was probably due to ios 5 or siri not being ready in time.

What I don't understand is all the hubbub because they stuck to the same design and screen size.

The A5 with its PwerVr543MP2 gpu is still the fastet SOC out there faster that the SGII even.

I think the 4S is going to be a superb smart phone.
    Thats fair enough, and no doubt the performance will be much improved, but what percentage of irish iphone users know what a CPU or GPU even is?

I just think that theres little in iphone 4s that will make the average iphone 4 user, who knows diddly squat about anything technical, to make them sit up and think, "i want one".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's only faster in GPU performance, which is graphics performance for gaming, which is why they show cased the gaming in the show. It will unload the CPU letting it take care of other tasks. The CPU of the SG2 or Sensation is still faster which is for day to day performance in all tasks. There is an even faster SG2 out in a week or so. No one has mentioned the RAM either so I'd assume it's still the same as the 4.

The iPhone is not about gaming really at all, why bother stuffing a kick ass GPU in there. It's more CPU speed and RAM that you want from a smart phone imo.

Battery life is the big kicker in todays phones, if you are going to leave things as it, at least try to improve the battery. Only further advancement in battery technology can do that and that's where out sourcing R&D comes in. At least all other manufactures let to change bats, Apple, no way. It would be nice to be able to take a spare from your wallet and slap it in when you run low like you can with any other phone out there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's not for Ireland though.

sorry, yeah i was going by the email i got from Apple, but looking at it again, its for the UK!

158d5333.jpg

Any idea when the Eire release is?

whiterebel wrote: »
    They would need to be unbelievably thick If they didn't expect the other big hitters to improve dramatically when Apple are only going to refresh every 12/16 months. Part of the problem is there is nowhere to go.....
    bigger screen? No thanks, more than half way to a tablet, if you look at some of those big screen Androids.
    Thinner? So it can snap in my pocket? I think not.
    Bigger MP in the camera....does it really need 8MP? 5MP was plenty for me.
    Do I care which processor is in the HTC/Blackberry/LG/Sony? No, as long as mine is quick.
    The iPhone 4 does me as it is. I can browse when I need to, answer emails, sync with my Macs, use it for presentations. As far as I'm concerned better battery life would do me just dandy.
    All completely valid points, and maybe apple's plan all along was just to have new iphone form factors every 24 months or so, but i think most people like a change from time to time, surely everyone gets tired of any device's look and feel after some amount of time, and they fancy something new to look at, no matter how good the device actually is? I know I'm like this and wouldnt mind a change from my 12 month old Galaxy S, if it werent for the cost..

kceire wrote: »
    sorry, yeah i was going by the email i got from Apple, but looking at it again, its for the UK!

158d5333.jpg

Any idea when the Eire release is?

28th of October, no mention of pre orders though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the 4S. I'm using Gingerbread on my HTC, and Mango on my WinMo. I was using a 4 for a while, but that was a year ago. Id like to see how quick it really is.

On a seperate note, Apple are geniuses. Someone has a 4, your friend has a 4S. You will hate your phone and want to get the S. Afterall, 70% of the iPhone is all about image.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Zonda999 wrote: »
    All completely valid points, and maybe apple's plan all along was just to have new iphone form factors every 24 months or so, but i think most people like a change from time to time, surely everyone gets tired of any device's look and feel after some amount of time, and they fancy something new to look at, no matter how good the device actually is? I know I'm like this and wouldnt mind a change from my 12 month old Galaxy S, if it werent for the cost..

I was like that, but I was always looking for the perfect phone, and because there was such limited capacity to sync with Macs, I either had to buy software or have a half job of it, or whatever. The iPhone 3G, then the 4 mean I really don't care about the next phone for the first time I can remember. It would need something to blow my socks off, and I really wonder can that happen with phones for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I am amazed at how much hatred there is by android people for Apple phones.
    If you don't like them, fine, don't buy them but please stop thinking you are superior, they are only phones ffs not statements of intelligence.

I can also understand that people may be let down by yesterday's announcement but I still don't get how the 4s is a bad phone or now behind the Android.

Most iPhone 5 predictions predicted the same tech specs as what the 4s has except for screen size and new form factor, so how can it now be an outdated phone?

Also, most people should realise that the vast majority of iPhone buyers have no idea about the power of the chips inside the phone or who manufactures them so there is no way that this phone is going to fail, just no way. It will sell in its millions.

I'm a 3GS user, and I love iOS, think it's much better than Android so if I go for this it will be a nice upgrade.

Think its wise to stick to 2 model cycles rather than yearly, as the 2nd year seems to be incremental now (Cook seems to like 'S' in model names) followed by a total revision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

3.5 inch screens are too small. You need to use a bigger screen to find that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

I certainly don't want to pay €400 (altho it was €200 with upgrade) every year for a 'new design' - I'm happy to wait for two years or longer.

It kinda reminds me of PCs - they're always getting faster and faster, more and more harddisk space - but you only need the extra processing power for the software that runs on the PC - the form factor design didn't make any difference except to look pretty on your desk.

Ask yourself why you want a new phone?

Is it because:
    a- you want something prettier?
    b- you need more processing power?
    c- you want a better camera?
    d- you want a better OS?
    e- you need particular software?
    f - bigger screen?

It seems to me most haters on the thread want something more pretty - aww that's cute, buy a new pink cover :-)

Or they have a size complex and need to make up for it with a bigger screen :p

3.5 inch screens are too small. You need to use a bigger screen to find that out.

Still doesn't make the iPhone a bad phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

murpho999 wrote: »
    Still doesn't make the iPhone a bad phone.

No one really ever said it's bad, it's just starting to age and look dated to the new kids. Even a move up to a 3.7" on the same frame would be a big difference despite looking insignificant on paper as a pure spec. Apple just seem to be afraid to break the mold and play it safe for too long before moving on a step.

No one really ever said it's bad, it's just starting to age and look dated to the new kids. Even a move up to a 3.7" on the same frame would be a big difference despite looking insignificant on paper as a pure spec. Apple just seem to be afraid to break the mold and play it safe for too long before moving on a step.

Again, it's the screen size.

That cannot be everything. The spec is still very strong.

Also, I think Apple's market is not only the new kids, my father who is 69 has an iPhone 4.

I think however the intention was to bring a 5 to the market this year with larger screen but something went wrong and they reverted to 4S.

Anyhow, they have now guaranteed themselves another year of hype with the next years 5......so it's not that bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

I've about 14gb of space with mu music and photos alone. I want to put it onto my new iPhone4s when I get it. I'll easily hit the 16gb max with apps and messages etc.

Should I get the larger iPhone or should I go with the 16gb as my pictures will be on the iCloud?

With the iCloud, I shouldn't worry about space right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Green Mile wrote: »
    Should I get the larger iPhone or should I go with the 16gb as my pictures will be on the iCloud?

With the iCloud, I shouldn't worry about space right?
    You should read up on iCloud. It doesn't work the way many people think. It syncs certain data between a user's different iOS devices. It is not a substitute for local storage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement