Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

Damn just got my beaut the other day!doubt there will be much difference between 4&5 anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

darling1 wrote: »
    Damn just got my beaut the other day!doubt there will be much difference between 4&5 anyways

Differences will be hardware, like the 3GS/4

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

I am fairly certain the iPhone 5 will be lagging behind all of the major Android devices out or coming out in terms of hardware (and its OS imo). The only thing it will have going for it will be the high res screen imo.

Doesn't matter what I think though; they will still sell zillions no matter how little an upgrade it is to the iPhone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

DRose1 wrote: »
    I am fairly certain the iPhone 5 will be lagging behind all of the major Android devices out or coming out in terms of hardware (and its OS imo). The only thing it will have going for it will be the high res screen imo.

Doesn't matter what I think though; they will still sell zillions no matter how little an upgrade it is to the iPhone 4.

iOS is well on a par with Android...despite what the fanbois on both sides may think.
    And I had a mate slagging me over going for an iphone when he plumped for the HTC desire instead saying "his phone could do anything the iphone could "...

everything except install unlimited apps which since the desire shipped with only a paltry 128mb means he's constantly chopping and changing apps...and only some apps support installing onto the sd card ...just incase you try and pull that one out too ;)

Another chap with his HC Desire HD constantly complains about his crap battery life..as most users found out ...so explain where the iphone will lag behind the current devices? It's all very well to say it will lag behind future android devices so isn't it equally true that the iphone 5 will surpass present devices?

I'm seriously thinking of holding out for Nokia & windows mobile 8....with the same OS across your pc/xbox and phone it could be a real game changer...hopefully it comes out within the next 6-8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Doesn't matter what I think though; they will still sell zillions no matter how little an
    upgrade it is to the iPhone 4.

I don't think thats necessarily true anymore, People are being more careful with money
    these days and if there are no major improvement and users are satisfied with the iPhone 4
    /3GS i doubt you'll see them running out to spend the €600 to €700 anymore unless they
    have an upgrade. Of course you'll have the fanboys out on day one but later adopters of
    Apple products wont see the need.

I know personally that i wont be buying one if it doesn't have 64GB memory and some
    sort of case design to bring the antenna inside again. My friends who all have iPhone 3GS
    /iPhone 4's are of the same opinion. I wont be spending €600 to €700 unless it suits me
    when i can buy an android phone for half that price including the cost of a 64GB memory
    card.

Hopefully Apple start to realize that they're going to have to start giving us what we want
    instead of telling us this is what your getting like it or not. Especially if they're going to
    keep up this 15 months without a new release bull****.

They will also seriously need to sort out their pricepoint on devices. They are way above
    the odds. I'm hopefull that this will be the new lineup (similar to the ipod touch)

8GB iPhone 4 €399 (8GB ipod touch €229)
    32GB iPhone 5 €499 (32GB ipod touch €299)
    64GB iPhone 5 €599 (64GB ipod touch €399)

or even better

8GB iPhone 4 €299 (8GB ipod touch €229)
    32GB iPhone 5 €399 (32GB ipod touch €299)
    64GB iPhone 5 €499 (64GB ipod touch €399)

Lets see how wrong i am . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Stevo2007

"The Wall Street Journal, citing anonymous sources..."

I gave up after that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hopefully Apple start to realize that they're going to have to start giving us what we want
    instead of telling us this is what your getting like it or not.
    You're in for a long wait for that.

Dreamland on the prices as well, I'd say. Why would they drop them? Middle of a recession worldwide and they still couldn't fulfill the demand for months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

whiterebel wrote: »
    Dreamland on the prices as well, I'd say. Why would they drop them? Middle of a recession worldwide and they still couldn't fulfill the demand for months.

Alot of that is them control supply to increase demand. they know they have a strong product. limit its release keep the price high and the demand will be such that it will still sell out

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

godtabh wrote: »
    Alot of that is them control supply to increase demand. they know they have a strong product. limit its release keep the price high and the demand will be such that it will still sell out

I don't believe they do it. I've was in an Apple warehouse on the release of the original iMac. Even though an iMac was coming off the line in Singapore every 15 seconds, they could not keep up with the demand. PC World, John Lewis etc were ordering in the thousands.....They just seem to have an uncanny knack of hitting on what people want, or believing what Steve tells them they need....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

godtabh wrote: »

Apple don't do that. Companies employ that tactic to create artificial buzz about a product, something that apple don't need to do. Apple will sell whatever they produce so they're under significant pressure - just look at the billions they're investing atm - to increase and ensure production Otherwise they're just leaving money on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't really believe that Apple create artificial stock shortages either. I went to buy my iPhone 3GS 6 months after it came out here and every single O2 outlet in Dublin city was out of stock. It might make sense to do this in the first few weeks of release to create publicity, but not several months later when the buyer might decide to get an Android phone instead.

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    iOS is well on a par with Android...despite what the fanbois on both sides may think.
    And I had a mate slagging me over going for an iphone when he plumped for the HTC desire instead saying "his phone could do anything the iphone could "...

everything except install unlimited apps which since the desire shipped with only a paltry 128mb means he's constantly chopping and changing apps...and only some apps support installing onto the sd card ...just incase you try and pull that one out too ;)

Another chap with his HC Desire HD constantly complains about his crap battery life..as most users found out ...so explain where the iphone will lag behind the current devices? It's all very well to say it will lag behind future android devices so isn't it equally true that the iphone 5 will surpass present devices?

I'm seriously thinking of holding out for Nokia & windows mobile 8....with the same OS across your pc/xbox and phone it could be a real game changer...hopefully it comes out within the next 6-8 months.

I had an iPhone for 3 years and recently moved onto Android with the Samsung Galaxy S2. I am not a fanboy of either OS and buy whichever I think is best. For me, Android is miles ahead of IOS in many areas.... e.g The widget system on Android makes a huge difference imo. IOS does destroy Android in a few areas though, most notably battery life and the iPod/music player. Overall though, I am very happy to have moved over to Android and doubt I will be going back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've an iPhone 4 for personal use and a Nexus S for work (also had a hero for personal use). For me Ios is just better. Easier to use. I'm not into custom roms or anything like that so suits me down to the ground

If Apple did the following I would instantly get an Iphone 5 but I cant see any of it happening:

1/ Enable Flash support
    2/ Have at least a 4 inch screen
    3/ Implement a widget system similar to Android

I live in hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Its pretty simple.

If you like the phone and can afford it, buy it

If you don't like the phone and/or can't afford it, don't buy it.

Can't understand how people can be fanboys about a piece of technology

Apple don't do that. Companies employ that tactic to create artificial buzz about a product, something that apple don't need to do. Apple will sell whatever they produce so they're under significant pressure - just look at the billions they're investing atm - to increase and ensure production Otherwise they're just leaving money on the table.

They may not need to do it but do it anyway. Secrecy is Apples main outlet for creating a buzz around any of their products.
    Only let a handfull of staff test and design new products and write it into their contract that if they spill the beans they will
    never work for Apple again, nor any other big employer.

Sure they have us talking about a product that currently is nothing but pure speculation that they have said
    absolutely nothing about since iOS 5 in June/July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

instead of telling us this is what your getting like it or not. . . .

If Henry Ford asked the people what they wanted they would have asked for faster horses.

Apples core design philosophy is designing products that they think do a job well. Can't see this changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

If Apple did the following I would instantly get an Iphone 5 but I cant see any of it happening:

1/ Enable Flash support

Have a desire hd and love it,great how open android is and the phone itself is great,no complaints with battery life once I figured out how to set it up.
    Fancy an i-phone this time though but can someone enlighten me as to why flash isn't supported and if you jailbreak can you get flashplayer then?

eggy81 wrote: »
    Have a desire hd and love it,great how open android is and the phone itself is great,no complaints with battery life once I figured out how to set it up.
    Fancy an i-phone this time though but can someone enlighten me as to why flash isn't supported and if you jailbreak can you get flashplayer then?

Because Apple hates flash due to its battery and processor drain. Doesn't play well on Macs either. Apple are pushing HTML5, so they will never support flash.
    I think there are jailbreak apps that can do flash, Google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

whiterebel wrote: »
    Because Apple hates flash due to its battery and processor drain. Doesn't play well on Macs either. Apple are pushing HTML5, so they will never support flash.
    I think there are jailbreak apps that can do flash, Google is your friend.

Why does this come up all the time?

I have an iphone now for 2 years now and I cannot think of one moment when not having flash was a problem.
    There's an app for You Tube so that solves that one.

Also flash is on it's way out and Adobe know it and will be changing.

I did not buy an iPhone because it did or didn't have flash as the phone offers so much more than that.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why does this come up all the time?

I have an iphone now for 2 years now and I cannot think of one moment when not having flash was a problem.
    There's an app for You Tube so that solves that one.

Also flash is on it's way out and Adobe know it and will be changing.

I did not buy an iPhone because it did or didn't have flash as the phone offers so much more than that.

Because the previous poster asked. It doesn't cause me any problems either, I don't miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

1/ Enable Flash support

Check out the videos for iOS5, widgets are coming and they look niiiiiiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Just set aside the money for my new iphone today :D Cant wait for iphone 5 to come out. I got the first one from the day it came and had a 3gs up until i dropped it :mad: If people am complaining about lack of features on the iphone all I have to say is JAILBREAK!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Depending on how well iOS 5 runs on it, I may hold on to my trusty 3GS until the *drumroll* iPhone 6 is released. Although I have a bad feeling iOS 5 is going to be slow as hell on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I bought my 3GS on release day in Ireland, that was over two years ago. I'm itching to buy a new phone, the iPhone 4 wasn't enough of an upgrade for me. I was almost going to buy a Samsung Galaxy S II but the lack of a few apps that i've come to rely on dissuaded me.

If the next iPhone is out by Christmas with 64Gb and a dual core processor I'm definitely going to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Since the release of the iPhone 4 (or even beforehand) rumours have been cropping up about the next model. It's been going on for some time now and boards seems to have at least one new iPhone rumour posted every week.

Since it's approaching the likely announcement date in September I thought it would be helpful to post a collection of the most popular rumours. I thought it would be a good idea to keep them all wrapped up in one thread. Apologies if a similar thread already exhists.

So the rumours so far go like this:

- Next iPhone will be either a 4S, 4G or 5
    - It will contain the Apple A5 chip that's already in the iPad 2
    - It will contain speed improvements, e.g. Dual Core
    - It will contain an 8 Megapixel rear camera
    - It will contain the same form factor as the iPhone 4

- An alternative rumour says it will have a teardrop design
    - It will come in 16GB, 32GB & 64GB
    - Apple will release a cheap, introduction iPhone for people who can't afford the premium price tag
    - Other rumours say it could be a cheap 3GS or an 8GB iPhone 4
    - It will contain NFC (Near Field Communication)
    - It will be a 4G LTE iPhone
    - It will be available in Black or White
    - It will have an edge to edge 4" screen with a tiny bezel
    - The announcement will be on September 7th/8th and will be available to pre-order before the release in October.

*items marked red are more than likely what will be available imho.

Please note all the above are RUMOURS and it's possible none of them will appear in the next iPhone model.

If I've left anything out please feel free to post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Hopefully some form of increased battery life would go down a treat.

Simple, yet always over looked!

Hopefully some form of increased battery life would go down a treat.

Simple, yet always over looked!

I can't agree with you more this is my one major problem with the iPhone. The battery is ok-ish but I just hate that the most I can get from it is 2 days and it's usually at a maximum I'd usually just get a day.

Unfortunately no rumours about anything similar to increased battery but I did see a patent they filed for a solar power screen. Something like the screen doubles up and acts as a solar panel to charge the phone. If they perfected that I'd be impressed. I'm sure it would certainly increase the battery life.

If its 64GB with a bigger Screen and new form factor i'll buy one or two. Otherwise i'll pick up a 3GS for another year.

• Advertisement

If its 64GB with a bigger Screen and new form factor i'll buy one or two. Otherwise i'll pick up a 3GS for another year.

I love the iPhone 4 design. I think it's the nicest phone out there. That's one of the things people always pick up on when they see me on the phone or whatever, they always say it looks great. I think it makes the previous models old fashioned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement