Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 - All questions, rumours, discussion goes here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Damn, i was waiting for this phone for a while. Stayed on my 3Gs and skipped Iphone 4 thinking this would be much better phone.
    What a disappointment (for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

nickhx wrote: »
    iOS 5 GM works very well on my 3GS, better than iOS 4 actually!

I have installed it and it works well, too. Although that should be no surprise, as they are keeping the 3Gs on as a 'for sale' product and not just a supported product like the 3G (allegedly) was on iOS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Damn, i was waiting for this phone for a while. Stayed on my 3Gs and skipped Iphone 4 thinking this would be much better phone.
    What a disappointment (for me).

Why? Its much better than a 3gs... And a bit better than a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

On a 3GS also - gonna go for the 4s for a couple of reasons:
    - Camera: big jump from 3GS and I do use camera enough
    - Resell value - can still get a good price selling the 3GS
    - Speed - should be a big jump from 3GS
    - Screen : people rave about screen on 4

Reason not to:
    - This standby battery time - dropped for 4S

Was there a big jump in battery performance from 3GS to 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Does Ireland have preorders or will I just have to order the 4S on the 28th?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Meteor never locked their android phones, do they lock the iphones?

i got 2 (HTC Wildfire's) androids from Meteor 6 months ago and they were locked to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got my sim-free iPhone 4 from the Apple Store in Belfast on launch day last year.

I couldn't be bothered going the whole way up for the 4S this time around.

Where could I get a sim-free in Ireland? Do Carphone Warehouse sell them or do I have to go through Apple online?

Is it generally easier to get it sim-free as opposed to going with a carrier?

Thanks!

Wait till the new apple store opens in November in Dublin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Feckless Rogue

fox007 wrote: »

Hunh?! Please elaborate!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

seamus wrote: »
    Technically speaking, the 3G was "revealed" 18 months after the 2G, though the 2G was revealed 6 months before it started shipping, so you're right in that there's some degree of consistency. For the most part the phones have been announced at the WWDC.

My suspicion here is that this time last year they had two plans on the drawing board - one was the "teardrop" design we saw touted, the other was a "fallback" plan of cramming better hardware into the existing case. This would account for the delay, if they were trying to figure out how to cram the 4S hardware into the teardrop design.

There's also an argument that there seemed to be no flagging in iPhone 4 sales - if anything they increased in popularity as time went on - so Apple saw no reason to rush a new version to market.

The rumours now will be that the iP5 will be revealed early next year, but I doubt it. Maybe the WWDC, but there's no reason why they wouldn't leave the 4S on sale for twelve months and call another upgrade next October.

And that's the bottom line. Do people honestly think Apple are going to try to keep up with a new Android-phone launch every couple of weeks, with their one a year schedule? FFS, I've never seen so much hand-wringing and whingeing over a phone before, especially as a lot seem to know more about Androids than iphones, or of course the usual suspects who don't have an iPhone at all.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Hunh?! Please elaborate!

Their is an apple store been buit as we speak in Arnots Dublin it will open mid-end November! Go into Arnots have a look for your self!!

It's need in Dublin just a pity it wasn't open for the launch of the 4s tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

whiterebel wrote: »
    And that's the bottom line. Do people honestly think Apple are going to try to keep up with a new Android-phone launch every couple of weeks, with their one a year schedule? FFS, I've never seen so much hand-wringing and whingeing over a phone before, especially as a lot seem to know more about Androids than iphones, or of course the usual suspects who don't have an iPhone at all.;)

That's the thing. Apple are competing with multiple manufactures every 12-18 months. They have to content with Samsung, HTC, LG and Sony all of which just for the Android OS. Then WP7 is gathering speed again with Samsung, HTC and LG being the main guns.

Sure the A5 chip used in the iP4S and iPad2 was designed by Samsung and Apple are dragging them through the courts around the world. If Apple were left on their own to make their own hardware and software they would be no where on the market today.

All the Android and WP7 manufacturers can cater for low, medium and high end of the smart phone market at the same time where as Apple have only one product and let last years model drop down the scale. This time though Apple have no high end option which they had with the 3GS and 4 for about a year before it was outclassed.

It's time for Apple to take a back seat this round and they should reflect that with their prices but they don't have to because it has an Apple badge on it and charge a premium for it and that's all Apple's business model is all about.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's the thing. Apple are competing with multiple manufactures every 12-18 months. They have to content with Samsung, HTC, LG and Sony all of which just for the Android OS. Then WP7 is gathering speed again with Samsung, HTC and LG being the main guns.

Sure the A5 chip used in the iP4S and iPad2 was designed by Samsung and Apple are dragging them through the courts around the world. If Apple were left on their own to make their own hardware and software they would be no where on the market today.

All the Android and WP7 manufacturers can cater for low, medium and high end of the smart phone market at the same time where as Apple have only one product and let last years model drop down the scale. This time though Apple have no high end option which they had with the 3GS and 4 for about a year before it was outclassed.

It's time for Apple to take a back seat this round and they should reflect that with their prices but they don't have to because it has an Apple badge on it and charge a premium for it and that's all Apple's business model is all about.

And with that, its time to stop reading......:rolleyes:

And with that, its time to stop reading......:rolleyes:

Ok, then prove me wrong. Show me just one Apple product that has all Apple stuff in it, hardware and software wise. Answer none, like every other manufacture, they all need each other. Apple even admitted that if their relations break down with Samsung and they can no longer source the A5 chips, just one example, they can make and design their own chip sets but they will be no where near the performance of the Samsung design.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hunh?! Please elaborate!

Their is an apple store been buit as we speak in Arnots Dublin it will open mid-end November! Go into Arnots have a look for your self!!

It's need in Dublin just a pity it wasn't open for the launch of the 4s tho
    That's not an official Apple Store. It's an Arnotts store that will sell Apple gear.

Ok, then prove me wrong. Show me just one Apple product that has all Apple stuff in it, hardware and software wise. Answer none, like every other manufacture, they all need each other.

Seriously fella, if you believe that, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you. Maybe you should apply for the CEO job of the 1st/2nd most valuable company in the world - you could point out where it has all gone wrong.:rolleyes:

Seriously fella, if you believe that, I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you. Maybe you should apply for the CEO job of the 1st/2nd most valuable company in the world - you could point out where it has all gone wrong.:rolleyes:

Never said it's gone wrong. Just showing why people expecting Apple to be on top all the time is unrealistic. They very did well and still are. They are the only player on their team, the only iOS show in town. They are up against 4 top dogs lashing out new models every few months on an opposing platform. Of course they are going to slip from time to time spec wise. They are still going to ship a crap load of product regardless as there is a market for Apple unless they making something that is a complete disaster.

Clearly took offence and didn't read the reason in the rest of my post. I currently have 2 iPhone and 3 Android models and know who makes what in each of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

That's not an official Apple Store. It's an Arnotts store that will sell Apple gear.

Dont mean to sound pedantic, but whats the difference?
    Do official Apple stores get product first, and then faster re-supply on an onging basis? Cheaper prices?
    There's a compuB store in Pavillions Swords, was wondering what the main difference is, bar ownership, obviously

Never said it's gone wrong. Just showing why people expecting Apple to be on top all the time is unrealistic. They very did well and still are. They are the only player on their team, the only iOS show in town. They are up against 4 top dogs lashing out new models every few months on an opposing platform. Of course they are going to slip from time to time spec wise. They are still going to ship a crap load of product regardless as there is a market for Apple unless they making something that is a complete disaster.

Clearly took offence and didn't read the reason in the rest of my post. I currently have 2 iPhone and 3 Android models and know who makes what in each of them.

Just a final point, because its not the first time that it has been said that it is a Samsung designed chip. The A5 chip is designed by Apple, and manufactured by Samsung - a world of difference. They are already looking at giving over the manufacture of this chip to TSMC for the next run. Apple would never box themselves so badly into a corner relying on Samsung for all their parts. The likes of screens now are being sourced elsewhere for computers iPads and everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Why? Its much better than a 3gs... And a bit better than a 4.

Yes, i agree and you are 100% right. It’s only my personal disappointment after waiting soo long. :)
    I think there is nothing there, same old tired design , same old small screen. To me it’s expensive for what it is. Personally i don’t actually do anything with it anymore apart from calls, Ipad2 has taken over from my phone all my portable needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've an iphone 3G which has served me very well for 2 1/2 years but I had my money ready and waiting to upgrade to the '5' (the 3GS was just a cosmetic improvement on the 3G and the 4's antennae problems and reported bugs put me off buying one of them). My money is put away now.

Apple have really dropped the ball on this one and have given their competitors a chance to catch up and overtake them. Most people I know used to be iphone users but slowly but surely Android phones have been replacing the iphones in their pockets. This "major announcement" of the 4S will only speed up the change to Android.

Its just a bloody phone but I feel pretty let down by this. My poor old 3G will just have to soldier on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Also disappointed. Will invest in an android for a while my 3gs is on its death bed. Refuse to get a 4gs out of principal now:D

😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

My poor old 3G will just have to soldier on.
    According to a post i read, ios5 GM works far better on the 3GS than ios4, so that might soften the blow till the 5 comes out next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dont mean to sound pedantic, but whats the difference?
    Do official Apple stores get product first, and then faster re-supply on an onging basis? Cheaper prices?
    There's a compuB store in Pavillions Swords, was wondering what the main difference is, bar ownership, obviously

they are just an apple retailer.
    they dont supply the iPhone etc

in the same way that Harvey Norman are an apple retailer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

eeloe wrote: »
    The standby battery life is 33.3% WORSE than the iPhone 4, the specs are plain as day on the apple site, as it stands i'm a heavy user, and i barely get a full day out of my iPhone 4 as it is, i couldn't imagine what it's like getting 33.3% less already

Too much store can be put into standby time. Who has ever left their phone sitting on the bedsite table for 300 or even 200 hours??

Talk time is more important as that is a real drain on the battery. For comparison, if you talk for say 4 hours on a 4S you will have 50% battery remaining - 100 hours standby. The equivalent remaining on a 4 would be about 128 hours then. Thats a decent close on the gap. Most of us will not talk for so long every day, but its just an example how standby is not all that.

Another trade off is the faster speed. If you can do everything a little bit faster, pages load faster etc. then you will be using your phone less for the same tasks as before.

For anyone using Bluetooth - BT 4.0 will mean less power consumed than previous versions (should you have a compatable car kit).

These together, along with the fact that you never usually leave your phone for 12 or 8 days without charging will mean that you prob will never notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

To those that got the iPhone 4 in Ireland on it's release day, could you preorder or had to get it on release day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Linoge wrote: »

Another trade off is the faster speed. If you can do everything a little bit faster, pages load faster etc. then you will be using your phone less for the same tasks as before..

Let me guess your a salesman??

In most cases I think you will use your phone for the same time and battery will last the same time, just you will get to see more webpages :p

😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Sure the A5 chip used in the iP4S and iPad2 was designed by Samsung

You need to recheck your facts. The A4, and the A5, were designed by Apple. They contracted Samsung to manufacture them. That's why there are no A4 or A5 chips in any non-Apple devices. They have contracted someone else to build the A6, and there have been rumours that the new contractor may also start building the A5 as Apple become fed up with Samsung copying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

kceire wrote: »
    i got 2 (HTC Wildfire's) androids from Meteor 6 months ago and they were locked to Meteor.

Must only be a recent thing, i bought a HTC desire about 18 months ago and it wasnt locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Question for anyone that has iOS5 on their iPhone already:

Is a "version" of siri included in the software?

I can imagine that for some of the higher end stuff siri can do, that the A5 chip is probably a pre-requisite, but surely the A4 in the IP4 could do some of the basics like dictating a text message?

I upgraded almost a year ago from the 3GS and that was a big leap. I don't see the 4S as being such a big leap, so I don't think I'll be upgrading at this stage......BUT the siri stuff does look very cool and it would be great to get something like that running on the IP4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Must only be a recent thing, i bought a HTC desire about 18 months ago and it wasnt locked.

Its usually the 1st couple batches are unlocked. Once their branded firmware is ready to be pre-loaded they get locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement