Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Got the proper Home Ec booklet thing today that we've to write our journals in to.
    20% of my exam is sitting over on my desk waiting to be filled out.

Scary stuff..

you only got it now most get them in like 5th year. i made loadsa stupid points loses in that book be crazy specific about everything is my tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

One week done and about 4 and a half hours study done every week night since.... :(

well, got called in for a meeting with an príomhaide inné...

got study tips from him, and the best one was:
    "dont start studying yet... just get your homework up to the standard YOU want, not your teacher- then build that up, once you have your homework up to scratch- THEN start study"

coolest advice i've gotten- no guilt about study :D
    and i am proud of my homework :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭EmptyWithMe

jenny18 wrote: »
    you only got it now most get them in like 5th year. i made loadsa stupid points loses in that book be crazy specific about everything is my tip.

Our teacher never gives them to fifth years.. I guess she has a point, you'll just want to write it in sooner and rush it if you have the book. Plus she said they come back in some state!

I've so much homework this weekend it's unreal. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I've loads of homework too :( Does anyone have any tips on how to stop procrastinating? The best I've found so far is listening to music...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

As for not procrastinating I've moved into the box room so I ahve no intersting stuff in my room to look at. The speakers are in my bedroom so no listening to music either. Working really well so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Strongly considering dropping to pass Irish because I'm never going to do well in it and I don't even like it, but I want to have higher because it might come in handy for some things I want to do in the future.

What are people doing in terms of extracurricular things? I'm doing 3 things (all within school) and I'm worried I've taken on too much.

I would loved to have been part of a science olympiad quiz team thing or whatever. But at the start of fifth year there was nothing really said about it so I forgot really :s I wish I had said something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭leavingcert.

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Since the beginning of the year (I know its only been two weeks but..) I've felt awful stressed out and anxious for some reason, I haven't started doing any study or anything, so it's not because I'm doing too much of it. Basically i think its because I'm doing all Higher subjects at the moment, and I think I need to drop down in one, but cannot decide at all. I'm quite good at most subjects which makes it difficult to decide. the subjects i'm doing are:

Irish- Got a B in the JC and am good enough at it, had a bad teacher last year but a fairly good one this year

English- Got an A in the JC, have a fantastic teacher, and doubt i'll drop it, but at the same time would only expect a B in the LC because I think I kinda fluked the A in the JC

Maths- Got an A in the JC, however my teacher isnt the best, however she is better this year. I did very little work last year and done poorly in the christmas and summer exams, however have started doing homework this year and doing good at the topic we're one, differentiation.

Chemistry- Im good at science and definetely wont be dropping this

Biology- not dropping this either

Business- Won't be dropping this because I do well in it

French- I always thought I was good at this in the JC and had a very good teacher, got a B in the JC and was happy enough with it. However for these two years I have had a not so great teacher, 60% of people in my class are doing ordinary ( yes the teacher does have to teach both levels :() but still seem to do better then others in exams, and like I said, I seem to be good with languages.

These are the courses I am interested in:
    Dental Science, TCD
    Pharmacy, TCD OR RCSI
    Medicine, TCD, UCD, RCSI OR NUIG
    International Business(transatlantic studies)- DCU
    Business with French- DCU, UCD, TCD
    Occupational Therapy- UCD, TCD, NUIG etc
    Law- any of the main universities
    Law and French
    Science- TCD, UCD
    Radiography
    Business
    Human Nutrition
    Biotechnology
    Genetics
    The list goes on really :eek:

^^ It's still really early in the year, don't get too stressed. If I were you, I'd probably drop to pass Irish. You don't need higher Irish for much anymore, so you won't be missing out on anything really.

I think it'll all become clearer to you when you decide what you want to do. You can find out what you don't need and drop in one or two subjects. Keep in mind that it's only 6 subjects that make up your points, so you could drop in your worst and still have a chance of getting really high points. Don't stress. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

Hey guys :D
    Also finding it quite hard to study at the weekends! :O
    but on a sunday evening I suddenly become organised and motivated haha :P

Anyone got any tips for teaching myself Economics? :) I know a lot of people have prob asked but I can't find much info or help about the subject. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Superbus wrote: »
    Artsy subjects are the way to go - History, Music, languages - so varied!
    Maths ftw! :mad: Applied Maths, Economics, Physics and Chemistry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

i disagree, im raging i changed from physics to art last year, at least in physics, you can be sure youl get an a if you put in the work, art is basically flipping a coin and hoping the examiner is in a good mood on the day and likes your painting/sculpture etc

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. Since the beginning of the year (I know its only been two weeks but..) I've felt awful stressed out and anxious for some reason, I haven't started doing any study or anything, so it's not because I'm doing too much of it. Basically i think its because I'm doing all Higher subjects at the moment, and I think I need to drop down in one, but cannot decide at all. I'm quite good at most subjects which makes it difficult to decide. the subjects i'm doing are:

Irish- Got a B in the JC and am good enough at it, had a bad teacher last year but a fairly good one this year

English- Got an A in the JC, have a fantastic teacher, and doubt i'll drop it, but at the same time would only expect a B in the LC because I think I kinda fluked the A in the JC

Maths- Got an A in the JC, however my teacher isnt the best, however she is better this year. I did very little work last year and done poorly in the christmas and summer exams, however have started doing homework this year and doing good at the topic we're one, differentiation.

Chemistry- Im good at science and definetely wont be dropping this

Biology- not dropping this either

Business- Won't be dropping this because I do well in it

French- I always thought I was good at this in the JC and had a very good teacher, got a B in the JC and was happy enough with it. However for these two years I have had a not so great teacher, 60% of people in my class are doing ordinary ( yes the teacher does have to teach both levels :() but still seem to do better then others in exams, and like I said, I seem to be good with languages.

These are the courses I am interested in:
    Dental Science, TCD
    Pharmacy, TCD OR RCSI
    Medicine, TCD, UCD, RCSI OR NUIG
    International Business(transatlantic studies)- DCU
    Business with French- DCU, UCD, TCD
    Occupational Therapy- UCD, TCD, NUIG etc
    Law- any of the main universities
    Law and French
    Science- TCD, UCD
    Radiography
    Business
    Human Nutrition
    Biotechnology
    Genetics
    The list goes on really :eek:

I had that exact same feeling when I started in third year. I didn't study at the start, at all, and unfortunately, I didn't all year until just before the mocks and the actual exams. Fortunately, I am good at school and always listened in class, so I got a majority of B's in mostly higher level subjects (Got a D in Higher Level Maths and barely passed Spanish in the real thing) But I worked like hell in first and second year, so that helped too.

This showed me how well I could do, and from your enclosed results, you seem like a smart student.

My Junior Cert experience showed me that if I worked, I could've nearly gotten all A's (Exception to Maths and Spanish). So now I'm (and I actually can't believe it) really chilled out about the Leaving Cert. Because I know I can do well, and you can too...just tell yourself that. :)

I did TY which gave me a break from study, but when picking my subjects I bore in mind what I was good at. I gave up Spanish (because I don't need it to do what I want in U.L. anyway) and dropped down to pass Maths (which I'm finding really easy atm). I took up Music outside of school to make up my six higher level subjects, in order to "just pass and not want points" for Maths and Irish. But they're still there for minimum requirements. You don't need to count them as points to get into a course (in a majority, but other courses WILL be different and make sure you check out yours prior to dropping back in anything).

My point is that you should take into account what points you need, and fit your subjects somewhat around them. I could aim for 500 or 600 points, but the max I'll need is 450. So don't stress yourself thinking "I have to get 500+ points", think that "I need to get at least *insert points here*" and aim for that, but work to get a little bit more.

A word of advice to you is that remember that the Irish Oral now counts for 40% of your overall result, and I do urge you to start studying for that soon as. I started grinds during the Summer, focusing mainly on the oral, and if you can get nearly full marks in that, then you are guaranteed to pass Irish (as you will most likely get the remaining marks to the 40% overall mark) and pass. Bearing that in mind, I think you should deffo keep up honours Irish, and maybe consider doing pass maths, if you feel nervous about it (I assure you pass is very, very easy in comparison to honours). And don't go from my word alone, think about what you want yourself, and what you feel most comfortable with. But make sure that none of your courses require honours in any particular subject you would consider dropping back in.

But as a general word as regards feeling stressed, it's only the third week starting, and you have loads of time. Set yourself out some sort of study plan (nothing too staunch at the start) and get into the studying habit, and then as time goes on, become stricter. But I urge you to study from now on, as it will alleviate stress much nearer exam time.

Hope this helped (sorry for rambling :P)

I'm actually not worried about the leaving cert. Does that make me:

A) A Dork.
    B) A Freak.
    C) In Denial or
    D) All of the above.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

I'm actually not worried about the leaving cert. Does that make me:

A) A Dork.
    B) A Freak.
    C) In Denial or
    D) All of the above.

:P
    E) A college student/graduate

sdiff wrote: »
    E) A college student/graduate

Lol!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I agree!, but as someone said there earlier it can be hard to predict what grade you'll achieve in the exams with Arts subjects!. I'm doing French, Business, Music, Economics and Geography aswell as the Core 3.

Anyone starte organising their pieces for the Music Practical yet?. I'm trying to decide whether to do all Classical Pieces (Piano), or a combination of 4 classical 2 modern?. I'm a trained Classical Pianist though and think they might be my strong point! Was thinking of doing the following

- Gigue in D Minor: Bach
    - Étude Op 7 No. 42: Heller
    - Adagio Op 32: Galuppi
    - Bunteblatter: Schumann
    - Mazurka in A minor Op 14: Chopin (I think it's spelt :L)
    - Sonata in A minor: Mozart

Superbus wrote: »
    Artsy subjects are the way to go - History, Music, languages - so varied!
    I agree, but as someone said there earlier it can be hard to predict what grade you'll achieve in the exams with Arts subjects!. I'm doing French, Business, Music, Economics and Geography aswell as the Core 3.

Anyone starteD organising their pieces for the Music Practical yet?. I'm trying to decide whether to do all Classical Pieces (Piano), or a combination of 4 classical 2 modern?. I'm a trained Classical Pianist though and think they might be my strong point! Was thinking of doing the following

- Gigue in D Minor: Bach
    - Étude Op 7 No. 42: Heller
    - Adagio Op 32: Galuppi
    - Bunteblatter: Schumann
    - Mazurka in A minor Op 14: Chopin
    - Sonata in A minor: Mozart

Chuchoter wrote: »
    **** what was I thinking doing 3 sciences and HL maths. The tedium is something else. I am so sick of learning experiments and definitions its unreal. Never do 3 sciences! Its grand for fifth year but now I'm back into a whole timetable of maths science maths science its killing me. The things I'd do for a few essays instead of a stupid write up :/

I love studying them, I genuinely enjoy all 3 of them :) i'd hate to have to study business or something :o

I don't do the higher maths though.

I agree, but as someone said there earlier it can be hard to predict what grade you'll achieve in the exams with Arts subjects!

This is true. Although they might be easier, getting A's is probably just as difficult.

Yes it probably is, everything evens out really at the end!. Was meant to make a post about this topic last week but never got the chance to but anywho, here goes.

Last year for English (HL) we studied 4 poets Kavanagh, Plath, Boland, Rich. This year we went back and our teacher was like:

"Forget everything I ever taught you about Boland, forget her poetry, her name, EVERYTHING..".

Then she began on Larkin and we're moving onto Heaney tomorrow.. Does anyone think she is right in telling us to forget we studied her?. She's only appeared on the paper twice in six years like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

How are ye studying for chemistry? I find it so hard to study :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Doing questions on How Many Miles to Babylon without any notes is frustrating :(

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I've just hit the wall. Week 3 of fun and games did not get off to a good start! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Doing questions on How Many Miles to Babylon without any notes is frustrating :(
    Join the club! I can't remember any 'key moments'. What's with me this year? I'm usually better at school :S

Yes it probably is, everything evens out really at the end!. Was meant to make a post about this topic last week but never got the chance to but anywho, here goes.

Last year for English (HL) we studied 4 poets Kavanagh, Plath, Boland, Rich. This year we went back and our teacher was like:

"Forget everything I ever taught you about Boland, forget her poetry, her name, EVERYTHING..".

Then she began on Larkin and we're moving onto Heaney tomorrow.. Does anyone think she is right in telling us to forget we studied her?. She's only appeared on the paper twice in six years like?

nope ur teachers an idiot im a repeat last year my teacher told us to study boland dickinson frost hopkins, 3 outta 4 came up this year where doing rich plath boland frost. plath and rich almost definite. theres generaly one poet that repeats the next year there was one from the last year on ours so 1/4 that boland may

Siobhnk wrote: »
    How are ye studying for chemistry? I find it so hard to study :/

chemistry definitions definitions definitions then some experiments and a lil maths. doing phys chem tho got a1 last year

Got the CAO handbook and forms stuff today..
    This just became very real. :(

Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

Got the CAO handbook and forms stuff today..
    This just became very real. :(

I want mine! The boys school down the road from ours got theirs last week. We're getting injections tomorrow :eek:

• Advertisement

Flabangav wrote: »
    I want mine! The boys school down the road from ours got theirs last week. We're getting injections tomorrow :eek:
    You don't want it, trust me. :pac:

Injections?! :eek: Oh god, we're getting them soon too..
    I'm going to die. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement