Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dr Bob wrote: »
    apples-and-oranges.jpg
    You cant really compare them , Castlevania being a supernatural platformer (which later took on metroid style tendencies)where as the LoK games are a zelda/tombraider exploration based basic action rpg , with vampiric elements ..(feeding , changing forms, weakness in sunlight etc).
    Both good games ;)
    looks like I'll be covering each sequel on a different platform btw .if I can get the dreamcast working with my capture card that is... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vania wins by default because of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was going to come in with chalk and cheese myself. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was reminded of the amiga demo of sensible soccer which had apples and oranges playing against each other :)

My revew of Gaia Seed, a hori shooter for the PS1 that is very rare and expensive. Good thing it's on PSN:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/09/gaia-seed.html

slps00624.jpg

• Advertisement

Not exactly retro but it's 4 years old now. I went back to PoP 2008 and ended up enjoying it a lot:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/10/prince-of-persia-2008.html

Forbidden Siren 2 review. The first game of my Horrorthon finished, it was a long one clocking in at 24 hours! But it was damn good:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/10/october-horrorthon-forbidden-siren-2.html

forbidden-siren-21.jpg

since its nice and cheap until the end of October on Gog.com
    Screamer!
    (warning contains unboxing!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_UTFBPfnSU

The horrorthon continues with Luigi's Mansion!

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/10/october-horrorthon-luigis-mansion.html

Lmbox.jpg

I also have a review up of the excellent Halloween themed Costume Quest, not retro but great fun none the less:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/10/october-horrorthon-costume-quest.html

..not retro but feck it sure I'll stick it up here, start of an occasional look at the TES games and mods and whatnot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, I had Screamer back in the day, fun.
    I had the sequels as well, before I jumped back into console gaming.
    Graffiti who made it morphed into Milestone, and they have had a fairly chequered history imho, I always found their games too arcadey in nature, like the Moto GP titles they had out on the PS2, well outclassed by Climax's Moto GP brilliance.
    I think they took Climax's innovations and claimed them for their own with the '08 and later titles after Milestone took over the current gen MotoGP rights.
    I did enjoy their Alfa Romeo licenced title that they had out on the PS2, along with the likes of Vanshing Point it represented a time when developers were more willing to be experimental with the titles they released, which is ironic given how generic the Screamer titles were.
    I was reminded of the Screamer Rally game when I played Shox on the PS2, a similarly shallow but fun arcade racer, part of the EA Big series but it never became a franchise after lack lustre reviews and relatively poor sales.

56ee7_spot_g8-parasiteeve-1.jpg

The last game for the October Horrorthon. Squaresofts Parasite Eve. We only got the second game in Europe which was a poor mans Resident Evil. The predecessor however is a wonderful fusion of RPG and action game and one of the best games on the PS1:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/10/october-horrorthon-parasite-eve.html

A review of the quite frankly amazing Sniper 2 on the PS2:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/11/the-sniper-2.html

_-The-Sniper-2-PS2-_.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Jazz music in a sniper game? Wtf. The girl in your second last pic looks like she's missing a mouth? :confused:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Jazz music in a sniper game? Wtf. The girl in your second last pic looks like she's missing a mouth? :confused:

You don't question The Sniper 2. You experience it.

Parodius ,meant to upload something about this aaaages ago, it cropped up during the game of the week thread early in the year,

Bloody blood blood on the PC

(having an odd problem where this doesnt show up for me in firefox but chrome is fine?..bizzare)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'These are just props...ugh, squishy'

Love it! :D

You guys are so lucky, I have another review for you. This time my thoughts on Phantasy Star 3:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/12/phantasy-star-3-generations-of-doom.html

586382_2185_front.jpg

I might have some more Sega/Sonic reviews up shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Aren't the Phantasy Star titles all on the 360/PS3 compilation?
    I wonder if the conversion is any good?
    Any extras and whatnot....

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Aren't the Phantasy Star titles all on the 360/PS3 compilation?
    I wonder if the conversion is any good?
    Any extras and whatnot....

I'd only really recommend Phantasy Star 4 to you. Not meaning to be condescending but the first games are tough, if you are having trouble with Dark Souls then these two games will murder you. You have to grind like crazy in them as well. PS3 is more lenient but it's not that great. PS4 on the other hand is a masterpiece.

Well, they are currently living on the Everdrive MD, so might give them a whirl..... although lets be honest here, I'm more likely to lose myself in a morning of Super Scribblenauts, like this morning!

Although, I did spend a lot of time today evicting spiders from the games room, and some of them did not look happy, in fact some looked peeved, I expect a letter from their solicitor in the weeks to come, arachnid squatters rights and not returning the deposits to those eight legged fiends who could find the rent book...... feck them I say!

They do seem to enjoy living under the 3DO, for some reason, probably because it is so big, dark and rock like in construction, safe bar the twice yearly forced spider migration....

Get a CDi in there and they'll run for the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get a CDi in there and they'll run for the hills.

Yeah, but the spiders will love it! ;):p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah, but the spiders will love it! ;):p

I know I'll end up hating the game for doing this , but Gauntlet. All ports , all versions.
    Starting with gauntlet 1 , on the 8 bits

#1 Atari 8 bit.

#0 Mame32 , for comparison

You going to play Gauntlest 4 on the Megadrive, aka the game with the most surprisingly brilliant soundtrack?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You going to play Gauntlest 4 on the Megadrive, aka the game with the most surprisingly brilliant soundtrack?

YUP
    aiming for the lot

• Advertisement

..shockingly good spectrum version.

Advertisement