Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Here's my latest video review, this time it's the turn of Battle Garegga. Best viewed in 720p naturally.

NOTE: This is captured directly from my Saturn. No poncy emulation here, no sir! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not retro but still a very interesting game, Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon on the Wii:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2012/05/fragile-dreams-farewell-ruins-of-moon.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The first part of my look at Pac-Land

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »

The first part of my look at Pac-Land

I always thought Pac Land was such a bitch of a game when I was kid,
    I remember playing it in an arcade over in Cyprus or somewhere and sucked at it.

I love the witty jokes you throw in your videos, and the way you move alone quickly after after dropping one, as if you think they're sad or something! :D

Which controller are you using for your emulators?

It sounds like a noisey arcade stick or something!

Another review, this time the Twin Eagle II PCB I received earlier this week.

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Another review, this time the Twin Eagle II PCB I received earlier this week.

..liking the vids , must pick your brains sometime about how you're doing the capture/editing as its really nice!

waveform wrote: »
    I always thought Pac Land was such a bitch of a game when I was kid,
    I remember playing it in an arcade over in Cyprus or somewhere and sucked at it.

I love the witty jokes you throw in your videos, and the way you move alone quickly after after dropping one, as if you think they're sad or something! :D

Which controller are you using for your emulators?

It sounds like a noisy arcade stick or something!

Cheers mate :)Half the time I'm concentrating so much on whatever the game is that I've no idea what I'm saying , so if any of its getting a laugh I'm happy.
    I've been trying to record audio 'live' as much as I can ,as opposed to rerecording it after as commentary.(narrating it is the slicker more polished and to be honest , sane way of doing it , but I really like people hearing exactly what I'm thinking as I play..its a bugger to do though :))
    the joystick is a hori fighting stick 3 , its a great stick but damn noisy as hell , really must change it , and oil the joints in my desk chair as well , thats nearly as loud!

...and part II
    (when I'm talking about Retrogamer in there I mean the mag , not retr0gamer here by the way)

Figured ye might like this. The greatest Super Famicom arcade stick ever made. From my 'private collection'. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Perfeck soundtrack man....

Of course, when the nerd in me hears a waltz I kinda expect to see something docking with something else....

Are you like one of those Christian Evangelists, but for Darius?

"Hmm, that was a lovely dinner, the crisp layer on the Creme Brulee was just exquiste, reminds me a bit of Darius Blast...."

• Advertisement

A look at one of my favourite arcade games , Up N' Down , as well as every home conversion I could find..(and I kept finding them..sob!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not retro, but retro styled, a review of Retro Game Challenge for the DS. One of the best games on the system and a love letter to the Famicom. It's actually a licensed game of GameCenter CX, the excellent japanese videogame show that I definitely didn't discover and Sera takes all credit for:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2012/05/retro-game-challenge.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

A look at one of my favourite arcade games , Up N' Down , as well as every home conversion I could find..(and I kept finding them..sob!)

Please don't get rid of the clicky joystick! :D

I think it gives the videos a bit of chracter!

And it also re-enforces the live experience, as we can hear each move being executed! :)

I haven't written new content for my blog for some time. Long overdue!

Here's a review of Kingdom Grand Prix for you. I hope you enjoy it. :)

http://www.pinkbullets.co.uk/blogs/kingdom-grand-prix-review

My 100 subs special podcast is now live. :)

Please excuse the now playing typos. It took 8 million years to render and a day to upload so I ain't doing it again!

May have bitten off more than I can chew on this one , looking at as many Bubble Bobble ports as I can ,....there's feckin millions!
    ..er anyone know where I can get an FM towns marty or a sharp x68000?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

May have bitten off more than I can chew on this one , looking at as many Bubble Bobble ports as I can ,....there's feckin millions!
    ..er anyone know where I can get an FM towns marty or a sharp x68000?

Cheat and use an emulator ;)

Getting a good X86000 emu going can be a bit of a pain, PM me if you need help.

Also please rip into the Saturn port as well. It's a dreadfully emulated version of the arcade game by Probe software during the era that they were turfing out awful ports of the Mortal Kombat games. It has lots of bugs including one that won't let you pick up the second 'E' to get an extend. This was also a bug with early mame emulation of the game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Getting a good X86000 emu going can be a bit of a pain, PM me if you need help.

Also please rip into the Saturn port as well. It's a dreadfully emulated version of the arcade game by Probe software during the era that they were turfing out awful ports of the Mortal Kombat games. It has lots of bugs including one that won't let you pick up the second 'E' to get an extend. This was also a bug with early mame emulation of the game.
    aha , will deffo look at that .if I remember rightly , by that stage Taito had apparantly lost the source code to bubble bobble , and Probes stuff was done the old fashioned way by just playing an arcade board over and over.
    In fairness theres a freakin' ton of weird quirks and weird physics to BB , that makes it quite hard to port really faithfully.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's more that Probe emulated Bubble Bobble rather than built the game from scratch. It would explain how it had the same bugs as early mame builds although I wouldn't put it past the Probe of the the time to be that incompetent.

I really can't get used to "Dr. Bob". I wish you were luas_dublin again. *sob* *cute, well-acted cough* :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I have the PS1 version, I take it Retr0 will deride it as he has the Saturn edition??
    Is nothing in my collection safe??
    I'd love the Jamma board of it though, it'd be very cool.
    I'd have to pick up Puzzle Bobble 2 to complement it, and then get Rainbow Islands... it never ends this collecting lark!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, I have the PS1 version, I take it Retr0 will deride it as he has the Saturn edition??

PS1 and saturn editions are equally worthless.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I really can't get used to "Dr. Bob". I wish you were luas_dublin again. *sob* *cute, well-acted cough* :(
    cough , stoppit! you'll start me off!
    Sob
    Ah you can call me what you like!

Weird thing is i was dr bob (or dr_bob) on pretty much most of my online forums since about '99(back on the old p45.net one).I was dr_bob on boards for a few years (in fairness I didnt post much).Then forgot the pass, and reregistered temporarily on a whim as luas_dublin,that was about 5 years ago! Tbh since my name actually is Bob I'm happier as Dr bob!
    Anyhoo..Amiga/ST next , then handhelds , then hopefully PS1/Saturn and lastly the crazy shít axis of MSX2/x68000/FM towns/whatever
    I'm curious to see what they're like , small bugs I can handle , but game breaking ones are a no no!
    Oddly enough even the PS2 version (on Taito Legends) supposedly doesn't emulate the processor that controls monsters AI 100% correctly , so only certain builds of MAME actually give you the proper arcade experience.
    (still it does have an interview with Fukio Mitsuji , which is nice)

Ah you can call me what you like!

Whatever you say.... luas_dublin!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He will always be Luas Dublin

MS DOS
    PSX/Saturn to follow.

They actually arent that bad , and that non spawning (E) bug wasnt there oddly enough?

• Advertisement

They actually arent that bad , and that non spawning (E) bug wasnt there oddly enough?

It's not that the E doesn't spawn it's that when you collect it it only counts for the first E in Extend. No matter how many times you collect it it will never count as the second E in extend. It might be on the Saturn version only, I notice you got it on the PS1 version. You might be right it's the D not the E been a long time since I played it. I'm also pretty sure that the requirements for bonuses to appear are all buggy in the game although it's only something a high level player will notice.

Sera has a really good saturn emulator if you want to ask her what she uses. Runs everything perfect on her Laptop.

Advertisement