Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The super duper retro gaming review thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not that the E doesn't spawn it's that when you collect it it only counts for the first E in Extend. No matter how many times you collect it it will never count as the second E in extend. It might be on the Saturn version only, I notice you got it on the PS1 version. You might be right it's the D not the E been a long time since I played it. I'm also pretty sure that the requirements for bonuses to appear are all buggy in the game although it's only something a high level player will notice.

Sera has a really good saturn emulator if you want to ask her what she uses. Runs everything perfect on her Laptop.

grand!, I was using Yabuse(?) satorune and SSF , they're not to bad (well satourne refused to read the disk).problem is that Fraps is the only recorder that works on my main pc , and it can slow down emus somewhat (I need a new PC!)
    I'm 99% sure I got both E's on an earlier saturn playthough, I'll dig up the recording and check.
    There are 2 different coloured E's by the way , first is orange , second is another color and seems a lot less common
    .Some of the bonus triggers are definetly there(the xx0 score trigger that gives 700 points for all bubbles at the end of a level) .TBH if you treat it as a port (not the 100% correct emulation we expect now)its not bad.plus I reckon that game was originally going to be shipped as Rainbow Islands , with a bonus copy of BB in as an extra rather the other way around , based on the work done on the enhanced Rainbow Islands and the intro.

Atari ST is done , I have to get the Amiga working, then port the two.
    If you have an ST get a copy of makedisk , that , combined with an old laptop running 98 makes it really easy to transfer ST images to disk to use on a real ST (if you cant find your originals or they're corrupt etc)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dr Bob wrote: »
    grand!, I was using Yabuse(?) satorune and SSF , they're not to bad (well satourne refused to read the disk).problem is that Fraps is the only recorder that works on my main pc , and it can slow down emus somewhat (I need a new PC!)
    I'm 99% sure I got both E's on an earlier saturn playthough, I'll dig up the recording and check.
    There are 2 different coloured E's by the way , first is orange , second is another color and seems a lot less common
    .Some of the bonus triggers are definetly there(the xx0 score trigger that gives 700 points for all bubbles at the end of a level) .TBH if you treat it as a port (not the 100% correct emulation we expect now)its not bad.plus I reckon that game was originally going to be shipped as Rainbow Islands , with a bonus copy of BB in as an extra rather the other way around , based on the work done on the enhanced Rainbow Islands and the intro.

Must have been the D then that is missing. I remember at the time there was loads of bitching on saturntorrents.com about how bad the port is and the one thing was not being able to get an extend and I remember my short time playing it never getting one. It was a long time ago so probably got the facts muddled. Mame definitely had trouble with the extend thing for a while as well. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to bubble bobble so was rightfully disappointed with the ports. Taito lost the bubble bobble source code well before those ports because I read in Games TM I think that one of the 8-bit coders mentioned that they lost the source code so had to play the game to figure out the bonus conditions. I think the 8 and 16 bit ports are far more faithful than the saturn and PS1 port which do seem to just be inaccurate emulations of the roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Maybe find a Bubble Bobble player who knows all 100 levels and has completed nearly everything on the game?;)

Cos you my good friend are crap at the game:D

annnnnd I'm still going , despite being rubbish!
    It took me over a week to get these in any fit state to put on youtube.Then at the last minute my pc decided to start mirroring and flipping the video for NO DAMN REASON!
    Its the rf tastic (it was the only way I could get the damn things to record in the end)Amiga and Atari ST

handhelds are recorded , just need to edit and get them up , then the axis of weirdness X68000 , FM towns and BBC Micro! and I'm done and never have to blow another freakin bubble or "kiss" a whale again!

• Advertisement

Finally something a bit different , bizzare unlicenced bootleg megadrive port.
    featuring stolen anime characters, ripped off music and the background from Gynoug for NO APPARANT REASON!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hey, Sparks!
    Guess what I was playing today!

Boulder Dash!
    or more accurately...
    Boulder Dash
    Boulder Dash 2
    &
    Boulder Dash 3...
    All on the Atari 800 emu on my lovely PSP Go.
    I like the original best.
    Can't seem to use the fire button to dig under stuff in the third game.

Is there a time to review the series?
    Has this already happened?
    Did Sparks have a pants accident?

Look , I've started so I'll finish , I'm down to , I reckon , maybe one more vid
    AND THEN I'M FREE!!! Muhahhahah
    That one you see above you is a look at the handheld ports , If you had a GBA you had a choice of 3!

Oh yeah , odd little electronic/board game I picked up a while back.
    Good in that it contains neither bubbles nor bobbles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

May I make a review suggestion luas_dublin? Id love to see one of those 'every version of the game' reviews you do for Super Off Road Racer. :)

I think on the C64 it was call Samuel T. Buttocksøns Super Iron Man Off Road Racer. Or something like that. LOVED that game. Id love to see comparison reviews sir! :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    May I make a review suggestion luas_dublin? Id love to see one of those 'every version of the game' reviews you do for Super Off Road Racer. :)

I think on the C64 it was call Samuel T. Buttocksøns Super Iron Man Off Road Racer. Or something like that. LOVED that game. Id love to see comparison reviews sir! :)
    "Ivan 'Ironman' stuart's super offroad racing?
    sold!
    yeah thats not a bad one to look at alright , taking a break for a few days though so my children can get to know me again and whatnot.

signed
    the artist formerly known as luas_dublin ;)

@TAFKALD Yes! That's the one!

You know I played the demo of it on a Commodore Format PowerPak all those years ago. Absolutely loved it, but I could never afford the game (I don't think it ever saw a Kixx/Hitsquad/Whoever release did it?). The C64 version was absolutely stunning.

I ended up never owning it. This needs to be corrected, and soon. :)

Get it reviewed TAFKALD!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

How about a review of "Rise of the Robots" on all the different systems?

:pac:

Steve SI wrote: »
    How about a review of "Rise of the Robots" on all the different systems?

:pac:
    I did the meg one before early this year ...shudder..the Geneva Human rights convention says I dont have to look at another port of it for another 4 years...

Guess what I went with!
    (will look at super offroad racing at some point , honest)
    Taking these comnparion vids a lot handier than the last set , no 24 hours or less between updates this time!
    This one features the BobCam , something which will probably get the vid more dislikes than likes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The BobCam thing is a great idea, gives the video more depth & ties the watcher into the review more...nice job

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The bobcam really does add an interesting perspective to it. Thumbs up from me too :)

Although you may want to get a bit more irate when you die in games, you know, for our own personal amusement.

You raging out and smashing the keyboard off the table in the top left corner while R Type runs on the big screen would be beyond hilarious :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    The bobcam really does add an interesting perspective to it. Thumbs up from me too :)

Although you may want to get a bit more irate when you die in games, you know, for our own personal amusement.

You raging out and smashing the keyboard off the table in the top left corner while R Type runs on the big screen would be beyond hilarious :D

I was looking at the spectrum version , so getting annoyed /sweary was NOT a problem :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My review of Landstalker on the Megadrive. The magazines raved about this game at the time but it's more frustrating than fun:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/06/landstalker-treasures-of-king-nole.html

Good to see I've lots of Dr. Bob to catch up on since I came back from NYC.

• Advertisement

:Uses Phoenix Down on :Thread
    So I'm back , with retro , only not.
    But it is
    Abobo's Big Adventure
    www.abobosbigadventure.com

Good man, back to the fore! :)

Something relatively retro up on my blog. Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles review:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.ie/2012/09/castlevania-dracula-x-chronicles.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You know, reading your brief post, I had a slight thrill when I say Pyongy there above it.... thought he was back.... but it was not to be :(

And back to Castlevania!
    The only one I own is SOTN, what are the essentials I really should have?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And back to Castlevania!
    The only one I own is SOTN, what are the essentials I really should have?

I hate to say this but pretty them all. I mean there's absolutely no bad Castlevania's with the exception of Haunted Castle the arcade game and Judgement.

On the NES there's Castlevania which after finishing it is one of the best designed games I've ever played. It really is up there with Megaman 2 and Mario 3 as one of the games best.

Simon's Quest is a heap of fun as long as you use a FAQ to get over some of the BS you need to beat the game. It's definitely the weakest of the NES games but still worth it.

CV3: Dracula's Curse. This one here is an absolute masterpiece. Tonnes of levels, different routes through the game, different characters to use. Just so good damn good. The famicom version with the extra sound chip is the one to get bu the US release is fine.

Now for the NES games do not get the PAL versions. CV is a slower paced game than most action games but on a PAL system it's downright lethargic. On a NTSC system it boots along at a zippy pace.

There's an MSX game called Vampire Killer that is part of the series and came out before the first castlevanis but it's a rarity.

On the Gameboy the only one worth getting is Belmont's Revenge. It's a great game. Adventure and Legend on the GB I like but nobody else does, they are a bit crap.

Now the 16-bit systems.

On the SNES you have the stone cold classic Castlevania IV. There's also Dracula X/Vampires Kiss. This is a pretty good CV game that gets a bit of a bad rep because it's a poor mans Rondo of Blood. Ignore the negativity, it's a great game taken on it's own merits.

On the Megadrive you have New Generation/Bloodlines. It's a superb Vania game but make sure you get the US version, the PAL version has gore cut out of it. It's probably the most technically impressive game on the Megadrive and does some crazy hardware tricks the MD was never meant to do.

On the PC Engine CD is Rondo of Blood which you read about. Superb stuff.

On the X86000 is an exclusive Castlevania. However this is available on the PS1 as Castlevania Chronicles. It's a brilliant old school Vania game, well worth getting. Get the NTSC version as per usual :P

For the N64 is Castlevania and Legacy of Darkness. Castlevania 64 gets a bad rep but it really isn't that bad, it's mostly from Nintendo fans pissed off they didn't get Symphony of the Night. Some people make it out to be the worst game ever but it's a lot of fun despite some flaws. Legacy of Darkness improves on the first game in every way and is a much better game.

On PS2 there's Lament of Innocence which is good but a bit dull and repetitive. There's also Curse of Darkness which I'd only really recommend to fans of the series. It can get very dull.

On handheld pick all the games up, they are great. On GBA you have Circle of the Moon (good but extremely difficult), Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow. From Harmony of Dissonance onwards the games play very like Symphony of the Night.

On DS you have Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia

There's also a CV game on Wiiware called Castlevania Rebirth which is very good and well worth picking up, it plays like the more linear games than the SotN type games.

That should keep you going.

Okay...
    Now, who wants to buy a lobe of my lung?
    Have to raise the money for that stuff somewhere and I have never smoked!

here....It's Zelda ,only with fangs!

Blood Omen :Legacy Of Kain
    ..contains mid nineties cgi , neck nibbling, Odo, Breaking Bad actresses, and me blathering over ingame footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Great review! Got a few chuckles out of me :D

I really love that game. By far my favourite in the series. Originally played a friend's copy for the PS1 - but a few years later downloaded it from Home of the Underdogs (that site was an absolute gold mine for games in the dial up days) and played through it again.

Rebought a PS1 copy about two years ago. Niggling to start up a new save this evening...!

Yeah it was a good game, load times on the PS1 nearly killed it though. Looking back it looks a little ropey especially the combat but some things like the voice acting hold up really well. Still for vampire based games it's not a patch on Vania :P

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah it was a good game, load times on the PS1 nearly killed it though. Looking back it looks a little ropey especially the combat but some things like the voice acting hold up really well. Still for vampire based games it's not a patch on Vania :P

apples-and-oranges.jpg
    You cant really compare them , Castlevania being a supernatural platformer (which later took on metroid style tendencies)where as the LoK games are a zelda/tombraider exploration based basic action rpg , with vampiric elements ..(feeding , changing forms, weakness in sunlight etc).
    Both good games ;)

Advertisement