Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

mkhall wrote:
    I don't even know what to make of it! What do you think actually happened? I'm guessing maybe the Avalanche theory is correct? The tongue thing is seriously bothering, horrific!

Yes, I was thinking avalanche was the most likely as somehow I don't believe in Yeti. ðŸ˜႒

It was a horrific accident all right and there just seems to be too much mystery about it.
    When you consider the fact how experienced these hikers were and that neither of them would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche, the mind just boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Yes, I was thinking avalanche was the most likely as somehow I don't believe in Yeti. ?႒

It was a horrific accident all right and there just seems to be too much mystery about it.
    When you consider the fact how experienced these hikers were and that neither of them would have been likely to camp anywhere in the path of a potential avalanche, the mind just boggles.
    A lot of conspiracy seems to come from the fact that they were near military. Maybe the military did something that set off an avalanche? or it could have just have been unlucky. There have been a few stories this winter of avalanches burying resorts with lots of fatalities. No matter how experienced you are, nature can be unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭French_Girl

Paddy Cow wrote:
    A lot of conspiracy seems to come from the fact that they were near military. Maybe the military did something that set off an avalanche? or it could have just have been unlucky. There have been a few stories this winter of avalanches burying resorts with lots of fatalities. No matter how experienced you are, nature can be unpredictable.

Absolutely.

You're right.
    I was just pointing out the evidence contradicting the avalanche theory.
    Which is that the location did not have any obvious signs of an avalanche having taken place and over a hundred expeditions to the region were held since the incident, and none of them ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I will always be curious about the 5% of UFO / Flying saucer stories that can't be explained.

I am not talking about the sensationalist stories that hit the front pages of the tabloids, but those few sightings that remain a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

LordSutch wrote: »
    I will always be curious about the 5% of UFO / Flying saucer stories that can't be explained.

I am not talking about the sensationalist stories that hit the front pages of the tabloids, but those few sightings that remain a mystery.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHh11T9isJWCjwyqysm0lFyoVWbHunzuukPNH_puM0_ZHZyPy-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

The Irish Crown jewels.

Where are they, and who took them?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/viceroy-of-ireland-s-jewels-found-in-london-bank-vault-1.2226609

EDIT:- Ahhh, it seems this doesn't relate to the master set that was stolen.

Nate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

For the week that's in it, the McCann case is probably the one that most stands out for all the intrigue and mystery around it. So many unanswered questions, inconsistency in testimonies, strange circumstances and what not. I find it very difficult to think the parents wouldn't have cracked at this stage though if they were directly involved.

The Jonbenet Ramsey case has always morbidly fascinated me aswell. I've read up a lot on it and the McCann case over the years.

The major difference being that a body was found in the Ramsey case, however it only served to add even more intrigue

It's worth bearing in mind the Police were very quick to pin it on the Ramsey parents and this created a lot of bias in the minds of the American Public. It really is a case where a multitude of explanations would make sense. There literally is dozens upon dozens of theories and so many have merit.

The infamous ransom note is the key imo. Written in a very feminine style and tone of writing, 2 and a half pages long, together with a discounted first draft - and using a notepad and pen belonging to the Ramsey's.

But then how does one explain foreign fingerprints on the door where she was found and boot-prints not consistent with any in the Ramsey household.

It's a head-melting but fascinating case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Why did Kate say "they've taken her"?

That always bothers me, as how did Kate think anybody took her? My 1st reaction would have been "We can find Maddie" or there's no sign of Maddie!

Wonder why Kate said "They've taken her"?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That always bothers me, as how did Kate think anybody took her? My 1st reaction would have been "We can find Maddie" or there's no sign of Maddie!

The whole thing bothers me LS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeh that always irked me, ironically the comment is pretty much the only aspect of the case that made me doubt somebodys had taken her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

McCann thing is no mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

ligerdub wrote: »

Go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

ligerdub wrote: »

Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,906 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

odyssey06 wrote: »

I don't know how her mother gets out of bed in the morning, losing her daughter then her son, id either be 6 feet under or insane, horrifically sad life.!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

pc7 wrote: »
    I don't know how her mother gets out of bed in the morning, losing her daughter then her son, id either be 6 feet under or insane, horrifically sad life.!

I had to google that and I thought it sounded tragic and when you think it cant get any worse it was her husband who killed her son?? Good god, poor woman. Heart goes out to her

Did a quick google search and it seems that there's a fair bit more to this than in the poorly written Wiki article.

Photos of Amy lying in rubbish wtf? http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/photos-amy-fitzpatrick-found-dave-7840182.

Maybe some of this is the media's fetish for anything gang related but you'd not normally expect to find these kinda hits for a missing 15yr old girl.

http://www.herald.ie/news/is-gangland-killer-lucky-linked-to-missing-amy-28006927.html
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dave-mahon-guilty-manslaughter-2755484-May2016/
    http://www.sundayworld.com/news/crimedesk/friend-of-amy-fitzpatrick-reveals-chilling-warning-letter-sent-to-irish-embassy-before-disappearance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

oneilla wrote: »
    Did a quick google search and it seems that there's a fair bit more to this than in the poorly written Wiki article.

My thoughts exactly. I hit google with her name. Then images. Looked. Thought; " Oh ..... " and lost any shred of interest right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I'm far more sorry for the father who is destroyed by the loss of both of his children. The mother went ahead and married the person who inflicted injuries on her son that were said (by the prosecuting counsel, in fairness) to be far too severe to make the self-defence argument at all realistic. Her daughter was said by her friend to be in fear of him and wanted to live with her father.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In 2010 the richest 388 people billionaires had as much wealth as the poorest 3.6 billion people.

The it dropped to 62 billionaires.

Now just EIGHT billionaires have as much wealth as half of humanity.

How can democracies not consider this a major problem /

• Advertisement

Stigura wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. I hit google with her name. Then images. Looked. Thought; " Oh ..... " and lost any shred of interest right there.

It's got a strong whiff of "somebody, somewhere knows something"* but can't say due to whatever, lack of proof, libel laws etc.

Poor girl, only 15 :(

*Edit eg. "Ms Kenny – a sister of Amy’s father – said there is cause to inquire into Amy’s life in the lead-up to her disappearance"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/people-urged-to-speak-out-over-missing-amy-fitzpatrick-1.2967240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

No sympathy for that woman, she has blood on her hands for bringing that murderer into the lives of those poor kids.

oneilla wrote: »
    Go on...

For the sake of not being booted off this site (:D) I'll stick to brief summary of what I think is the extreme likelihood.

I think the child died in the apartment and her body was disposed of. In any event I'm near certain that she must be dead by now.

There's a plethora of material online (Cue tinfoil hat accusations) which strongly suggest the above.

- The McCanns left the long discredited photo of "Tannerman" on the Find Madeleine website. They decided not to include the well known Smithman photo on the same site.

- What was the motive for such a crime? There was never any indication of a ransom note or as to who took her and why? Despite the almost caricature photo-fits there hasn't been a similar incident either before or since in the area.

- There were other children in the same room as Madeleine, yet they were left undisturbed.

- It seems fairly clear that the shutters were tampered with and the locks also jammied with from the inside.

Other oddities although I stress this is just something I myself find odd. Feel free to differ.

- The media have noticed criticism of the McCanns online and doorstepped individuals. That's considered gospel, and newsworthy. Very strange! Why?

- They spent a lot of money on PR and lawyers, and was a purpose of of their fundraising and mentioned as such in the very early days. This is a reasonable rationale for the fact that they are so well received by the British media.

- They've never had much of a social media presence, yet they claim to be trolled. How does that work? In any event if you're child was missing I think you'd take every avenue possible to spread your message or to be available for contact from people or to put your message out.

- They were preparing for "10 year anniversary" over a year ago, on the assumption that Madeleine would still be unfound. Not in itself a bad thing to prepare for, but the fact that they seemed so certain seems disconcerting to me.

- Several criminologists either refuse to comment on the case, or in the odd case will suggest the parents are aware of what actually happened. I'm unaware of any who buy into the idea that somebody broke into the apartment and abducted the child.

- The McCanns steadfastly claim their daughter was abducted but refuse to believe that she could be dead. This seems a rather strange conclusion to make in my opinion!

In 2010 the richest 388 people billionaires had as much wealth as the poorest 3.6 billion people.

The it dropped to 62 billionaires.

Now just EIGHT billionaires have as much wealth as half of humanity.

How can democracies not consider this a major problem /

Is there some correlation here to the massive boom in equities since then in fairness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

What happened to Trevor, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Madeline Mcann: 10 years missing is on tv3 now

Beyondgone wrote: »
    What happened to Trevor, seemingly.

To be quite honest I think it was an unfortunate set of circumstances that left no clues.

Missing persons cases throw up a lot of weird anomalies (I've only found this out lately after some googling post- recent Trevor Deely appeal).

Few examples:

woman goes missing, boyfriend suspected, woman returns a few weeks later after a mental health issue which led to a stay in a psychiatric unit. http://www.cracked.com/article_24208_the-5-most-unbelievable-twists-in-real-missing-persons-cases.html
    (It's anonymous and on cracked.com so take it with a pinch of salt but seems plausible)

A family of two adults and two children missing from their home and their car was then found near the Mexican border - they had left food behind in the house ie. on a table suggesting they had left in a hurry . Plenty of theories were advanced but their bodies were found years later buried in a shallow grave. It turns out that a business associate of the father is charged with murder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McStay_family_murder#Disappearance

John List, 1971. Family found murdered, List disappears without a trace and 18years later is found in a different state living and working under a false/new identity, later charged with murder
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_List

Closer to home there was weird stuff in the disappearances of Robert Holohan and Elaine O'Hara. Both are later determined to be murders and result in criminal convictions. Phillip Cairns and that schoolbag which showed up in a laneway...

Esra Uryan, married mother of one disappeared from Collinstown in 2011 - she drove to the shops which were 5mins away yet the journey took 35mins. An hour later her car shows up in Bray. The woman is never seen again and the driver of the car in Bray is not identified as Esra. A set of missing cars keys appear in a Neilstown chipper months later.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/missing-esras-car-keys-found-in-a-takeaway-28009219.html

Pareicia Sarah Abott, goes missing from Wales, last seen near the sea in Tenby, her skull later shows up in a fishing trawlers net and as a result of some tremendous investigative work is identified
    http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/retired-gardas-efforts-led-to-identification-of-skull-27729551.html

Blathnaid Timothy, disappears from Dublin City Centre after getting into a taxi, people fear the worst, evidence later points to suicide despite an inquest returning an open verdict
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/blathnaid-suicide-was-suspected-from-start-26612334.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was a lad picked up 13 miles off the coast on a surfboard.

Would it have been a mystery if he hadn't been found ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

How Jimmy White never won the snooker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Aspadeaspade

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    That one has been explained. They thought the cargo could explode so they entered the lifeboat which they attacked to the main ship by a rope. There was a storm which presumably cut the lifeboat from the main ship. The people on the life boat were lost at sea. After ten days, no way would they find any wreckage or bodies.

Surely after a storm there wouldn't have been cutlery and the like out on the table as was described years ago!? That 'explanation' seems like a bit of a cop out to be honest.

Advertisement