Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Gerry and Kate know what happened. It's clear they are lying about an abduction.

The only mystery is how.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Parchment wrote: »
    So many - i love true crime/unsolved mysteries.

The ones i find most fascinating are the ones that probably have a very logical conclusion but i would just like to know what happened.

-Maura Murray
    -Lisanne Froon & Kris Kremers
    -Johnny Gosch
    -All the missing women in Ireland from around the same period/region

I read that book "Missing" about 15 years ago and it was a great read, I got the impression in some of those cases the Gardaí have a good indication of who is to blame but don't have nearly enough evidence to start a case against them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Shenshen wrote: »
    It was a rental car - people could previously have transported anything in that boot. Someone might have left a shopping bag in there for too long in hot weather, and meat that had been purchased gone off.

When that story first broke years ago I did think it was most likely the parents. There had been a similar case recently in my home town of a mother killing her child and disposing of the body, then going into town with a buggy, entering a shop while leaving the buggy outside and on leaving the shop causing a huge scene claiming someone abducted her kid. There were several days of people running around looking for the child before they found she had put the poor baby's remains into her own household bin - it was found when they collected the bins a few days later.

Now though I'm not so sure. It's been years and the McCanns have never stopped engaging with the police, the public, politicians, etc. I can't help thinking that if they were the culprits, they would have given it a rest years ago, it would must be physically and mentally draining to keep this up. And if they already knew what happened to their daughter, accident or otherwise, I would imagine they would at some point just want peace and quiet.

I think that cadaver dog training is more refined than that, they can even distinguish between animal and human remains. Still, I take the point that they would be retreating from the spotlight if they were guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

razorblunt wrote: »
    I read that book "Missing" about 15 years ago and it was a great read, I got the impression in some of those cases the Gardaí have a good indication of who is to blame but don't have nearly enough evidence to start a case against them.

Yeah i got that impression from what i have read of the cases. Very chilling to think he is probably still around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Has there ever been an Irish serial killer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Was'nt there that Irish fella, i think he was homeless, but supposed to have confessed to pushing people onto the tube lines in London during the 70's? Police back then, thought it was accident/suicide, but i think theres an investigation into it. There was rumours that the numbers could have been up to 40 victims but those figures and victims have yet to be substantiated

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

razorblunt wrote: »

One wonders if their 'good indication' in these cases is any more 'reliable' than in the Sophie Toscan du Plantier one...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

where did my wifes earring back go? I saw her drop it, she saw it fall yet we couldnt find it anywhere after searching for ages. Its not that small.

I suspect a portal to another dimension is somewhere in our apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

LordSutch wrote: »
    So whose blood was it?

The samples were degraded due to cleaning products. But 5 of the maekers found matched maddie. Then were told about a nose bleed and the uk lab closed.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/BLOOD.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Lot of missing women in the 70s and 80s. Along with bodies found in Wicklow/Dublin mountains. May well be the same killer.....

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    One wonders if their 'good indication' in these cases is any more 'reliable' than in the Sophie Toscan du Plantier one...

Yep, good question.

Suckit wrote: »
    You should hear what the proper locals have to say.
    They hate that Blair and Brown ordered their own 'investigation' into it.
    They hate that they believe their own Police were able to be overruled and their evidence taken.
    They hate that they are being made out to be the possible culprit.
    Nearly all of them believe it was not a local, not even a Portuguese person that is responsible for her going missing.
    They also believe it would have been very easy and cheap for somebody to 'dispose' of her body far away. for example 8 miles South. 20 miles South. You get the idea.

I go there for a holiday quite a lot, it's fair to say the locals aren't happy alright, though there was a previous case of a local boy going missing from the same town ~25 years ago too.

It's not a village known for it's late nights but I remember talking to a bar owner there about a year after it and said "look over there, anything could happen". There were a group of tourists enjoying themselves having a dance whilst one of their kids slept in the buggy and an older but still young child slept on the seat. Completely unsupervised, anything could have happened to them, from sleep walking out the door to whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I am totally open for correction but i think the person linked with missing Irish Women is well known and free somewhere now.

I think most know who it is. But its a case of proving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Just watching Kyron Hormans step mother on Dr. Phil.
    The 7 year old went missing from school after last being seen by his step mother outside his classroom door after attending a science fair in the school.
    The school assumed the step mother had taken him home with her and his baby sister, so never rang home to say he hadn't arrived in class.
    The parents Kaine Horman and Desiree Young also appeared on Dr. Phil years ago both accusing step mother Terri Horman of the 7 year olds disappearance.
    Not sure who I believe, was it a stranger or the step mother who claims she loved him as her own and would never have hurt him.

I got sent one of these: http://theglittergrenade.com/

No one has yet to take ownership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

odyssey06 wrote: »
    My initial thinking was intruder (based on reading John Douglas books) ... but now I'm leaning towards it being the father (see http://solvingjonbenet.blogspot.ie/), the ransom note to me only makes sense if it was written by the father to buy time - the plan failed when the mother phoned the cops.

such an odd one
    The DNA cant be wrote off for me by being from a factory worker somewhere, because it was on several layers of clothing.
    added to the fact that so many people walked through their home only days before during the time the showed off their house during an open house showing of Christmas decorations.
    And the detective that they brought in was very convincing that it wasn't the Ramseys.
    But one things for sure the whole investigation was a clusterf&%k, and any outcome, if ever proved without doubt, would not surprise me.

I also began to believe the innocence of the McCanns in relation to Madelines death anyway, because the parents appear to be still investigating, but then you see Erica Parsons adoptive parents do the same thing, including going on Dr. Phil show and they were guilty as hell :(

The Madeline McCann case is absolutely baffling. I remember every newspaper running with her little face on the front cover. We talked and speculated about what could have happened. In my naivety at the time I had hoped she was abducted to be given to a childless couple. The other alternatives were too awful to contemplate.

I don't believe her parents had anything to do with it. Think. They would both have to be complete and utter sociopaths to cover up the death of their child and continue a long campaign in the hope of a resolution. Now they may very well be but I think it's unlikely.

I don't believe her parents had anything to do with it. Think. They would both have to be complete and utter sociopaths to cover up the death of their child and continue a long campaign in the hope of a resolution.

Uh huh.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Uh huh.

Do you think they are? I'm open to that possibility. It's just a sense I have that they had nothing to do with their daughter's disappearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eddy_Phelan

The McCann case is definitely an odd one. Haven't heard much on it for years. Every now and then there's a suspected sighting and the media churn out some more rubbish. Poor girl.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    Uh huh.

What evidence do you know that Parents were involved?

I think they look more guilty in the 'we were stupid to leave daughter alone" type of way, then killer one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

The McCann case is definitely an odd one. Haven't heard much on it for years. Every now and then there's a suspected sighting and the media churn out some more rubbish. Poor girl.

This.

Unless someone has an epiphany and confesses we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Poor Maddie - Such a sad case. I don't believe her parents had anything to do with it. She would be almost 15 years old now - Unlikely at this stage she will be found. I just pray that who ever took her owns up to give closure to her parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Do you think they are? I'm open to that possibility. It's just a sense I have that they had nothing to do with their daughter's disappearance.

They have plenty to do with their daughter's disappearance. Absolute best case scenario, they left their three children all alone and unsupervised in an apartment in a foreign country while they went for dinner and drinks with their friends.

If the McCann's were from Ballymun, they would have been prosecuted for leaving the children unsupervised.

Its going be 10 years in May.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    They have plenty to do with their daughter's disappearance. Absolute best case scenario, they left their three children all alone and unsupervised in an apartment in a foreign country while they went for dinner and drinks with their friends.

If the McCann's were from Ballymun, they would have been prosecuted for leaving the children unsupervised.

Ah well yes they did leave her and that is something which they have to live with for the rest of their lives but I'm not going to get out the pitchfork. The argument of "if they lived in such a place" is a bit silly in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ah well yes they did leave her and that is something which they have to live with for the rest of their lives but I'm not going to get out the pitchfork. The argument of "if they lived in such a place" is a bit silly in my opinion.

I don't think it is silly. Yes, they lost their child but that doesn't take away from the fact that they weren't showing the appropriate level of care that is required under law.

If I was p1ssed drunk and crashed my car killing my child, do you think I should get a lighter sentence? No would be my thinking. It should have been the same for them. They should have been prosecuted for leaving their children unattended while they enjoyed themselves with their friends.

I think they probably got off lightly because of their profession, their high ranking contacts etc.

I don't think they killed their child, but I do suspect the child died in the apartment, and they found her and obviously know that she's dead.

They have clearly lied several times about key details, which of course doesn't prove anything, but it is very suspicious, and was entirely unnecessary for people who supposedly know nothing of what happened.

Poor Maddie - Such a sad case. I don't believe her parents had anything to do with it. She would be almost 15 years old now - Unlikely at this stage she will be found. I just pray that who ever took her owns up to give closure to her parents.

Oh they have closure alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The Isdal Woman. Reads like the opening of a John le Carré novel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isdal_Woman

Advertisement