Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

This one is in France, so it might be less interesting to some, but it's a very famous case of a multiple murder + disappearance, with several "sightings" afterwards. The mystery is really just what his motive was, and where he is, although there are also doubts about the identity of bodies found.

Xavier Dupont de Ligonnes was a father of 4, who seemed to have planned to emigrate to Australia, or at least possibly spread that rumour to cover up the murder of his entire family.
    He wrapped up his affairs, finished mortgage on the house, that kind of thing, and then one night seemingly killed them all.
    Their bodies were found, but he never was.

Some people believe he joined a monastery, others that he emigrated, that he killed himself, and some believe he's still living in France. I think it was just last year that word circulated he had been captured on cctv withdrawing money in a small town in France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupont_de_Ligonn%C3%A8s_murders_and_disappearance#Investigation_into_the_disappearance.3B_bodies_discovered

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I hope I live long enough to see this solved.

Youd imagine more parts would've washed up by now
    It wouldn't be a mystery apart from simple economics. The technology to track planes by satellite has existed for age. The costs and charges involved are the only reason it isn't done. Blame the airlines AND the satellite phone companies.

Europe's Galileo GPS satellites have a search and rescue function as do some of the newest US weather satellites.

Going back to WWII they used pressure sensitive explosive devices to locate downed planes. Once the device is deep enough like 230m you get a very loud sound that can be triangulated by existing sonar networks. Again it's all down to money. And people being upset at explosives on planes. But it's completely automatic and low tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A very sad one.

The Allenstown Murders.A woman and 3 kids found all bashed in the head, wrapped in bags, put into barrels and buried in the woods 30 years ago.

Who were they and why were they killed???

Details at this link with new facial mapping to show what they looked like.

Wiki here

That is freaky as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 airportlackie

Definitely Bermuda triangle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

JFK

Was it just Lee Harvey Oswald?
    How many shooters?
    How many shots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

LordSutch wrote:
    JFK

On that topic, the babushka lady? Has she been identified?

I was tempted to say Kate Bush (sorry), but no, I don't think they ever identified her.

Looking at youtube clips of the assassination recently and its quite fascinating, if a little gruesome :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

LordSutch wrote: »
    Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 (still missing).

Well most of it is missing, parts have been found so it's definately in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Well most of it is missing, parts have been found so it's definately in the water.

Pilot suicide seems the most logical answer

Or maybe the pilot was a hero who stopped the flight crashing into a heavily populated area? after a fire started to rage in the electronics bay (underneath the cockpit)? Everbody then everybody loses consciousness, then the auto pilot takes the flight way down over the southern Indian ocean, before it runs out of fuel . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

LordSutch wrote: »
    JFK

Was it just Lee Harvey Oswald?
    How many shooters?
    How many shots?

Just Lee, the shot in the top of the head couldn't have come from any other angle. A shot from the 'grassy knoll' would have continued on to kill or seriously injure Jackie.

His wife thought he did it, his brother thought he did it and all the evidence says he did it. He left his wedding ring and all his money at his wife's lodgings after spending the previous night trying one last time to persuade her to come back to him. Who knows how history might have been different if she had said yes. The night before he tried to assassinate Walker months earlier he left instructions for how Marina should find him in the jail and who would take care of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

nkav86 wrote: »
    On that topic, the babushka lady? Has she been identified?

Lots of people might have skipped work or some family event to see the president, went in clothes and dark glasses so they wouldn't have been seen in the papers or by a mutual friend. Not much of a mystery in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Who rigged the us and brexit election

Cianmcliam wrote:
    Lots of people might have skipped work or some family event to see the president, went in clothes and dark glasses so they wouldn't have been seen in the papers or by a mutual friend. Not much of a mystery in the circumstances.

Surely on that kind of a day with the beloved president shot, she'd want to have given some account of what she saw, then again, I do see your point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Sodder Children Disappearance case is very weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodder_children_disappearance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Just got round to watching last year's docudrama Soaked In Bleach about Kurt Cobain's last days which Courtney Love attempted to stop getting made. Her cease and desist had no effect and she then threatened to sue cinemas which showed it, which seems to have had the desired effect given that very few did. Here's a little about it:

http://loudwire.com/courtney-love-soaked-in-bleach/

Anyway, amazes me that after all these years most of the main points on which those that feel he did not / could not have taken his own life base their contention, have still not being cleared up. I guess they never will.

What surprised me most was the phone calls that were recorded between Courtney and the PI which she hired to find out who had been using Kurt's credit card after he left a rehab facility. This was the week before his body was found and someone still tried to use the card on the day he was found (even though he had been dead for at least two days). In those recorded phone calls Courtney talks about planning to lie to Kurt (and the public) about her overdosing in a few days time as it would help sell her (Hole's) soon to be released new album.

There were also recorded calls with Kurt and Courtney's solicitor who was saying even at the time that she didn't believe Kurt was suicidal and that Courtney and her ex boyfriend (who was also one of their daughter's nannies and was staying at the house) were lying about what was happening. On one call the solicitor phoned the PI and said that the night before Kurt's body was found Courtney came to her home and left a back-pack there and as she never came back to get it, the solicitor decided to look inside it and what she found was most odd. She found a practice sheet where someone had clearly been practicing writing in a certain handwriting style over and over again and also a note which said "Get arrested!" and the next day Courtney was arrested. Which was the same day's Kurt's body was found and when she was released by the police she checked herself into the same rehab facility which Kurt had left six days previously.

If that wasn't crazy enough, in the midst of all that she phoned an electrical company from LA to fit security lighting in their Seattle home that day and they were the ones that found Kurt's body.

As for the whole gun theory and bullet placement stuff, I think that's all pointless to focus on as if they are still arguing about the JFK shooting (which was recorded) then the arguments about whether Kurt could manage to shoot himself and the casing fall where it did are going to be even more fruitless. In saying that though, I do think it is quite odd for someone to take the huge amount of heroin that he did and to then have the mind to put the safety caps back on the needles before then going on to kill himself. That just seems like such a strange thing to do. As does someone sticking a pen through a suicide note that they have just bothered to painstakingly write.. but again, it's hardly anything that anyone will ever be able to say with certainty could or could not have happened.

A personal observation (and not something which this docu touches on) is that years ago in a Channel 4 documentary (around 2005) Courtney was leading some twit around her home and she happens upon Kurt's old corduroy coat. She immediately says 'Kurt died in this coat' and 'This is what Kurt was wearing when he died' but he wasn't wearing a coat when he died, he was wearing a t-shirt and the coat was in a ball under a bench on the floor. I always thought 'Ah sure, slip of the tongue, it was ten years later after all' but I was reading an interview she gave to Rolling Stone back in 1994 and she said a similar thing then: "Kurt blew his head off in this coat" (she was wearing the coat during the interview). Very bloody odd thing to say unless it were true.

I don't know what I think tbh. I once thought the conspiracy theories around his death were nuts but the more I read, the more I begin to wonder was he murdered by mistake or something, or did someone find his body earlier than they let on and they waited until they could forge the suicide note before arranging for the body to be found. It's a mad case if ever there was one. Some really odd details.

Most of Kurt's close friends seem to say he wasn't suicidal at all and indeed his best friend who bought him the shot gun the week before said there was no way he would have bought him a gun if he felt he was in any way suicidal. He said Kurt just went and bought bullets that week as someone had slashed the tyres on his car in his garage and he wanted it for security as a result. His mate also said he was very positive in himself and earlier that week Kurt had also wrote a letter to his fans on AOL talking about a new album coming out soon. The doctor in Rome also said he seen a lot of people wake up from failed suicide attempts and that Kurt did not seem like one of them at all and that he had even asked for was a milkshake as soon as he woke up. He wrote a note to Courtney a short while after waking also and all it said was "Fcuk you". When he got back to LA a few days later he contacted his solicitor and asked her to arrange for Courtney's name to be taken off his will but he never signed anything as he hadn't seen the solicitor in person yet.

No matter what the truth is, one thing is for sure: she did not love him (not that I think that woman can love anyone). The way she treated him was quite shocking. She controlled him left and right. Cancelled his credit cards. Phoned him in rehab and put pressure on him to do gigs he didn't want to do. She even lied to him that he had hurt the baby when he dropped her. She later says she regretted saying that to him. All the while she was banging Evan Dando and Billy Corgan. It's wildly believed also that she told Kurt about these affairs in Rome although she said she just told him that she was thinking about having an affair and that was all. Either way, what ever happened in Rome, he was finished with her by the time he flew back to the states and she knew it. When he left the rehab in LA (which she also thrust upon him) Courtney was staying just ten minutes away in a hotel and instead of going to her, he went to the airport and flew home to Seattle. She never seen him again. Amazes me that had he lived Courtney would undoubtedly have been divorced and not received a cent... but yet as it stands she is the main beneficiary to all of Nirvana's vast fortune / future earnings and royalties. Which most people would know I guess considering the spats she has had with Novoselic and Grohl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

nkav86 wrote: »
    Why am I only now finding this thread? Excellent stuff on here to follow up on tomorrow, gonna keep me occupied all week. Thanks to all

Follow up on? I usually can't sleep after reading it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Found this thread last week and haven't got through every page yet but looking forward it. Thanks all for contributing!!

Some fascinating stories out there so I'd better add my own.

One documentary I watched recently was 'Who stole Johnny?', based on a 12 year old paperboy in Iowa who went missing and hasn't been found since. His Mother has been campaigning for him for years and believes he;s still alive.

There's been speculation he was seen alive years after, dollar note seemingly from him, allegation from his Mother years later that they met and then there's Paul Bonacci. I won't say much more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch

Documentary roughly an hour long is on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Who killed JonBenet Ramsey?
    Was Marilyn Monroe murdered?

Follow up on? I usually can't sleep after reading it!!!

Love watching YouTube videos on these kinds of things, and Wikipedia is great as we know. Strangely intriguing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sing_dumb wrote: »
    Who killed JonBenet Ramsey?

My initial thinking was intruder (based on reading John Douglas books) ... but now I'm leaning towards it being the father (see http://solvingjonbenet.blogspot.ie/), the ransom note to me only makes sense if it was written by the father to buy time - the plan failed when the mother phoned the cops.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Found this thread last week and haven't got through every page yet but looking forward it. Thanks all for contributing!!

Some fascinating stories out there so I'd better add my own.

One documentary I watched recently was 'Who stole Johnny?', based on a 12 year old paperboy in Iowa who went missing and hasn't been found since. His Mother has been campaigning for him for years and believes he;s still alive.

There's been speculation he was seen alive years after, dollar note seemingly from him, allegation from his Mother years later that they met and then there's Paul Bonacci. I won't say much more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Gosch

Documentary roughly an hour long is on Netflix

Half-way through watching this, based on your recommendation ....... thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Half-way through watching this, based on your recommendation ....... thanks!

No problem! Crazy how it unfolded and so much unanswered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

A great mystery, up there with Zodiac for me! I believe Thomas Harris got some of his inspiration for Lecter's character in Hannibal who's serial killer was called The Monster of Florence in the movie...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_of_Florence

There is also a great book about it that I read a few years back. If I remember correctly one of the co-authors (Preston)was doing such a good job of investigating the killings that he became a suspect despite not even living in Ita;y at the time of the murders. The police had it in for him for looking into the murders and showing the local five-oh up...

Worth a read...

The Monster of Florence - Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Although I've been following this thread for a while now, I don't recall whether Joseph Newton Chandler has been mentioned yet.

Anyway, Joseph Newton Chandler III died in 2001.  He committed suicide after learning he had terminal colon cancer and, initially, it seemed like a regular suicide so they pressed on with the cremation.  However, when the executor of his will tried to process his death certificate, he realised Joseph Newton Chandler had already died.  In 1945, no less. He was aged seven and died (alongside both parents) in a car accident in Texas.

Basically, the adult dead guy (now a John Doe) had ghosted Joseph.  In other words, stolen his identity because no one's looking for a dead kid and death certs are kept entirely separate of birth certificates (and no one ever cross checks).  It's a well known trick among fraudsters etc.  Anyway, the authorities were able to find out that Joseph's details and national security number were sent out to someone in the late seventies.  

They tracked the address those documents were sent to and found out it was just a vacant lot of land with a post box.  Clearly, the mystery man was using it as some kind of postal "dead drop".  All he had to do was wait for his new identity to show up. On job application forms the fake Joseph Chandler stated that his next of kin was a sister by the name of Mary Wilson.  However, when the authorities went to check her out at the address given, they found themselves on another vacant space.  Mary simply didn't exist.  The man had no friends at all.  Even the executor of his will was just some guy he once worked with.  On top of that, the few who knew him said that he used to vanish for days on end.  When asked where he was going, he would reply "they were getting too close."

So, who was this guy and why was he living under this ghosted identity?  A few people are trying to make out that he was the Zodiac Killer because he was living in California at roughly the right time.  But that's been largely discredited.  He wasn't on any witness protection scheme, either.  He had done this because he needed to.  I don't know what to make of it.  It's crazy, but really intriguing.  There's also a lot more to it than I can fit in one post, so here's a much more in depth podcast on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

In America you hear stories all the time about missing kids & teens who it turns out were murdered by their parents, just recently there was the case of Erica Parsons, her parents appeared on dr phil etc but it turns out they had killed her and had been abusing her for years. Now the question I'm asking is why do people here in Ireland bury their head the sand and refuse to even consider that the truth about most our unsolved missing children and murder cases is VERY close to home ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

In America you hear stories all the time about missing kids & teens who it turns out were murdered by their parents, just recently there was the case of Erica Parsons, her parents appeared on dr phil etc but it turns out they had killed her and had been abusing her for years. Now the question I'm asking is why do people here in Ireland bury their head the sand and refuse to even consider that the truth about most our unsolved missing children and murder cases is VERY close to home ?

It's ironic that a Parish Priest is asking that question ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Absolutely agree. Looking at solved missing persons cases and murders and cold cases from around the globe it's striking how many times to perpetrator is related to or well known by the victim. One case in Ireland of a missing man if it wasn't suicide smacks of someone who he knew being involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Absolutely agree. Looking at solved missing persons cases and murders and cold cases from around the globe it's striking how many times to perpetrator is related to or well known by the victim.
    The statistics are

https://www.womensaid.ie/about/newsevents/news/2016/11/25/media-release-women-more-likely-to-be-killed-at-ho/
    out of the 209 women murdered here over the last 10 years only 87% were killed by a man they knew.

Advertisement