Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The Kennedy assassination is no mystery. Lyndon Johnson is responsible, He didn't pull the trigger. But he did put the hit out on JFK. Kennedy was shot at several times by a number of government hired assassins, The fatal shot came from in front of the motorcade, From behind the picket fence, under the tree on the grassy knoll, The bullet came through the windshield and hit JFK in the front right hand side of the head. The exit wound blew out the back of his skull.
    There's a great podcast here on Lyndon Johnson's recordings while in presidency (something he was borderline insane about). Some really funny bits, but some interesting stuff also covering why he would and would not have had a role in JFK's assassination - http://www.cracked.com/podcast/the-mind-blowing-dick-waving-presidency-lyndon-johnson/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I would have thought 99% of all adults would know what the Zapruder film consisted of

Well, I didn't. I'm not that bothered about the JFK assassination so have never done much reading up on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The Kennedy assassination is no mystery. Lyndon Johnson is responsible

Thats highly implausible.

Speaking of which, here's 10 other strange and/or ridiculous theories on the JFK assasination over the years

10.The driver did it.

In his book, 'Behold a Pale Horse' (1991), William Cooper claims that Kennedy was actually shot by his limousine driver. Cooper's theory appears to be almost entirely predicated on the fact the driver, secret service agent William Greer, is shown turning to his right and looking backwards.

There is, of course, no evidence at all that Greer was the shooter - though he was criticised by many after the assassination for his actions that day in not immediately accelerating away from the scene.

9. Kennedy was accidentally shot by a secret service agent

In his 1992 book 'Mortal Error: The Shot That Killed JFK', Bonar Menninger, suggests that Kennedy was actually killed by a fatal shot fired accidentally by Secret Service agent George Hickey, who was riding in the follow-up car. The theory suggests that Hickey accidentally fired an AR-15 assault rifle when the vehicle stopped suddenly.

8. The Umbrella Man

The Umbrella man, identified as Louie Steven Witt, serves as an example to conspiracy theorists about the often benign reasons weird things happen at significant historical events. Witt was captured on the Zapruder film and several other pieces of footage standing by the Stemmons Freeway sign within Dealey Plaza.

What is unusual about Witt is that he was holding a large black umbrella on a completely dry day. Some suggested this was a signal to shooters, but it was later revealed he was holding the umbrella as a protest against Kennedy's father's support for Nazi-appeasing British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain - who was often seen with a trademark black umbrella.

Some even suggested the Umbrella Man was the actually assassin and had used the modified Umbrella to fire at Kennedy.

• Advertisement

7. The Freemasons did it

Lyndon B. Johnson was allegedly a member of the Freemasons as was Warren Commission appointee, Gerald Ford (pictured). This has led to the suggestion that the secretive organisation was involved in the killing. There is, of course, no evidence of this at all.

6. Lyndon Johnson did it

Who had the most to gain from the assassination of Kennedy? According to two books by Scottsdale attorney, Craig Zirbel, only Johnson, had the motive, the means and the opportunity to mount a conspiracy against the president.

The book suggests that Johnson's political and personal issues with Kennedy, along with a desire to be president before he got too old, prompted his involvement in the killing of the President.

5. Joe DiMaggio did it

An idea that first floated in DC Comics' 100 bullets, is the theory that baseball player Joe DiMaggio was behind the killing. The theory has gained traction with conspiracy theorists who suggest that the talented sportsman wanted to kill Kennedy in revenge for his allegedly ordering the death of his former wife Marilyn Monroe. There appears to be little or no evidence to support this theory.

4. JFK Was Killed by the Federal Reserve Banks

In his book Crossfire Jim Marrs points the finger at Federal Reserve. According to Marrs the motive was to stop Executive Order 11110, which was a measure designed to curtail the power of the Reserve by replacing Federal Reserve Notes with Silver Certificates. It's often suggested that Lyndon B. Johnson revoked the order when he came to power. This isn't, however, true. It remained on the books until President Ronald Reagan issued Executive Order 12608 on September 9, 1987.

3. The Coca-Cola Theory

In 'Who Shot JFK? : A Guide to the Major Conspiracy Theories (1993)' by Bob Callahan and Mark Zingarelli, it is suggested that Oswald killed JFK because of a psychological problem caused by his addiction to refined sugar. The theory appears to be largely based on the fact that Oswald drank a sugary beverage immediately after the shooting.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ________
    . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\

• Advertisement

2. Jackie Kennedy did it

Conspiracy theorists often point to the Zapruder film, in particular frames 312-317 which show a puff of smoke next to the left side of the President's head. Theorists argue that as neither John nor Jackie Kennedy are smoking a cigarette the smoke must have been caused by some explosive reaction.

The suggestion is that Jackie was part of a conspiracy that involved Texas Governor John Connally. There is, again, no real evidence for this except a sketchy interpretation of the Zapruder film

1. JFK was killed because of his interest in aliens

In his book 'A Celebration of Freedom: JFK and the New Frontier' author William Lester says that CIA documents released to him under the freedom of information act reveal Kennedy demanded to be shown confidential documents about UFOs just 10 days before his assassination.

Alien researchers have suggested that the documents add weight to the claim Kennedy was killed to stop him discovering the truth about UFOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

8. The Umbrella Man

The Umbrella man, identified as Louie Steven Witt, serves as an example to conspiracy theorists about the often benign reasons weird things happen at significant historical events. Witt was captured on the Zapruder film and several other pieces of footage standing by the Stemmons Freeway sign within Dealey Plaza.

What is unusual about Witt is that he was holding a large black umbrella on a completely dry day. Some suggested this was a signal to shooters, but it was later revealed he was holding the umbrella as a protest against Kennedy's father's support for Nazi-appeasing British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain - who was often seen with a trademark black umbrella.

Some even suggested the Umbrella Man was the actually assassin and had used the modified Umbrella to fire at Kennedy.

It's not just the fact that he had an umbrella. It was also the man standing with him waving frantically on the kerb right beside where JFKs limo was passing as the first shot was fired and reacted differently to everybody else when the shots were fired. And while everyone else was running away screaming in the following minutes, they say down on the kerb and one appears to speak into a radio, then they walk away in opposite directions. The identities of the man with the radio remains unknown. The man with the umbrella claims not to know who he was

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Laois Man don't encourage this troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Post your thoughts on the JFK Assassination here

I think you're missing the point of this thread. There's a JFK specific thread elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

solway firth spaceman ,its just really puzzling
    It's the kid's mother, just overexposed.
    time traveller cellphone in charlie chaplin movie,mind boggling

That's a hearing aid, not a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Gotta be jack the ripper

Gokei wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point of this thread. There's a JFK specific thread elsewhere.

I started this thread so I can steer it in whichever direction I choose. That and the JFK centric posts here started long before the JFK thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

0. The NSA shot Kennedy.

Crease: Now what are you saying, the NSA killed Kennedy?

Mother: No, they shot him but they didn't kill him. He's still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

NASA shot kennedy.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

SANTA shot kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I shot Kennedy, with help from the CIA, Cuba and the Soviets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

No mystery. Lyndon Johnson killed Kennedy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I started this thread so I can steer it in whichever direction I choose. That and the JFK centric posts here started long before the JFK thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SANTA shot kennedy
    into space :pac:

Jim Morrison wrote all his hits before arriving at laurel canyon. He was under the influence of the cia mkultra programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Boombastic wrote: »
    Jim Morrison wrote all his hits before arriving at laurel canyon. He was under the influence of the cia mkultra programme.

1:34. He moves back, and to the left (of stage).

Back, and to the left. Of stage.

The director on that film was Oliver Stone, who is notoriously hands-on in every minute detail relating to his films. The film was released in 1991.

The same Oliver Stone who directed JFK. Also released in 1991.

The same mysteriously untalented Sean Stone, who just happens to share the same surname as the director played roles as the young protagonist in The Doors, and the protagonist's son in JFK.

Both of the actors portraying those protagonists would go on to be nominated for the 1998 Worst Actor Razzie awards, one for The Saint and the other for (I'm so sorry for those of you who had wiped this from your memories) The Postman. Now this surely can't all just be a fine coincidence can it, your honour?

Back, and to the left.

We're through the looking glass here, people. I don't think there's much more to be said.

Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have watched JFK last night.

Billy86 wrote: »

1:34. He moves back, and to the left (of stage)

Back, and to the left. Of stage.

The director on that film was Oliver Stone, who is notoriously hands-on in every minute detail relating to his films. The film was released in 1991.

The same Oliver Stone who directed JFK. Also released in 1991.

The same mysteriously untalented Sean Stone, who just happens to share the same surname as the director played roles as the young protagonist in The Doors, and the protagonist's son in JFK.

Both of the actors portraying those protagonists would go on to be nominated for the 1998 Worst Actor Razzie awards, one of The Saint and the other for (I'm so sorry for those of you who had wiped this from your memories) The Postman. Now this surely can't all just be a fine coincidence can it, your honour?

Back, and to the left.

I don't think there's much more to be said here.

Damn it, I knew I shouldn't have watched JFK last night.

:pac: nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gotta be jack the ripper

Fascinating story, there's many theories and many names mentioned but I don't believe we'll ever get a definitive answer.

He had to have been one sick cocky SOB considering he goaded the police with the famous "From Hell" letter. Reminds me of the Zodiac Killer in San Francisco in the late 1960s and early 70s and the letters the killer sent into newspapers claiming responsibility and issuing further threats. Like the Ripper the case was never solved.

• Advertisement

Ive watched everything JFK related I could get my hands on this week (except of course the Oliver Stone film), including this one from producer Tom Hanks

It has a strong cast but Im not quite sure how it made it to cinemas. Its overall a mediocre affair and at just 1 hour and 15 minutes long it should have went straight to cable TV

Advertisement