Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The biggest ifs and buts to the 9/11 conspiracy theories are the scale of the attacks.

The US would have justified two wars with strong public backing by committing deadly but less financially and casualty causing attacks. A wave of car bomb attacks in various cities for example, would have been a somewhat lesser carnage but still horrifying enough to get the public behind a war.

But thousands dead, the airline industry nearly collapsing, insurance companies going to the brink, the two financial powerhouses of the country hit with many of the greatest economic and military minds among the dead at the WTC and Pentagon, it really would be too much of a shoot yourself in the foot attack to entertain a false flag theory. Particularly against Afghanistan, a rugged land the USA already would have had justification in attacking but chose not to do so because of its historical ability to beat foreign invaders. There was certainly negligence that allowed the attacks to occur, but direct involvement is a stretch too far.

I never said that the US was directly involved in the attacks but that a whole lot of unanswered questions remain about the attacks. Here's some issues:

1- I would find it hard to believe that the US agencies knew nothing about them but could have played down the issues and never believed it was possible. Hindsight is easy.
    2- Why target what was targetted? What was in the WTO that someone was so desperate to destroy? That was picked for a reason not for some vague gesture like 'attacking a building that symbolises keeping poor countries down'. The organisers of 9/11 were hardly poor and could not care less about the poor!! Under their reign, indeed Afghanistan was the poorest country outside Africa but they lived in luxury - bin Laden and Zawahiri were upperclass rich men - even if they were caves: but modified and house-like caves. Frontman Mullah Omar lived in palace. Enemies of the poor? Definitely? WTO as threat to them? Maybe something about drug money being laundered was about to break?
    3- How could well-educated postgrad students be convinced to fly planes into buildings and obey and believe in voodoo black magic? They were either drugged (AQ is one of the biggest heroin dealers on the planet) or else forced into it. Certainly, they would not do it in their right mind as they had minds. What did 9/11 were zombies and to be a zombie, you either have to be drugged or told to do it to avoid some worse fate.
    4- Iran, Iraq and North Korea had nothing got to do with it. Why was one of them attacked and two threatened?

I believe the full truth about 9/11 will never be truly known. The key though is to find out WHY WTO was attacked? What was in that building that posed a threat to the biggest drug dealers on the planet? That is the key to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

How do they get the figs into fig rolls?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why do the DNA helix and Amino Acids have a left handed structure ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Why do the DNA helix and Amino Acids have a left handed structure ?

Why are all polar bears left handed? Same reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kiffer wrote: »
    Why are all polar bears left handed? Same reason.
    Except

a - it's not
    b - they aren't

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

2- Why target what was targetted? What was in the WTO that someone was so desperate to destroy? That was picked for a reason not for some vague gesture like 'attacking a building that symbolises keeping poor countries down'.

Symbolism, and the economic carnage hitting the "World Trade Centre" would bring (it's in the name!)

If you asked anyone what structure reminded them of New York, it would be a tie between the Statue of Liberty and the Twin Towers. The towers were in the opening credits of god knows how many tv and films.

Under their reign, indeed Afghanistan was the poorest country outside Africa but they lived in luxury - bin Laden and Zawahiri were upperclass rich men - even if they were caves: but modified and house-like caves. Frontman Mullah Omar lived in palace. Enemies of the poor? Definitely?

I remember all the stories pre invasion that Bin Laden was living in massive Bond villain caves where he plotted his every nefarious move. Upon actually finding his hideouts it turned out he lived pretty frugally. He was so out in the backarse of nowhere he listened to the attack reports live on radio rather than TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

What colour was michael jacksons penis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What colour was michael jacksons penis?

White cause he did have that skin condition I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

White cause he did have that skin condition I think.

it doesn't matter if you're black or white (nice song)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Debunked: http://www.cracked.com/article_18718_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-that-have-totally-been-solved.html?wa_user1=1&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=companion
    - Anastasia, The Pyramids, Stonehenge, Tunguska Explosion, Atlantis, Amelia Earhart... and the Mary Celeste.

Also debunked: http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html
    - Dyatlov Pass, Lost Roanoke Colony, The Hopskinsville Goblin, Mad Gasser of Mattoon, Starchild Skull... and the Bermuda Triangle.

...and six new mysteries to mess with your heads: http://www.cracked.com/article_16871_6-insane-discoveries-that-science-cant-explain.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Billy86 wrote: »
    Debunked: http://www.cracked.com/article_18718_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-that-have-totally-been-solved.html?wa_user1=1&wa_user2=Science&wa_user3=article&wa_user4=companion
    - Anastasia, The Pyramids, Stonehenge, Tunguska Explosion, Atlantis, Amelia Earhart... and the Mary Celeste.

Also debunked: http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html
    - Dyatlov Pass, Lost Roanoke Colony, The Hopskinsville Goblin, Mad Gasser of Mattoon, Starchild Skull... and the Bermuda Triangle.

...and six new mysteries to mess with your heads: http://www.cracked.com/article_16871_6-insane-discoveries-that-science-cant-explain.html

I think most of the 'mysteries' in this thread have fairly mundane explanations. Actually, I'd say about half have already been explained or debunked if people bothered to go looking. But the thing is, some people want to believe in mysteries and no amount of rational exposition will convince them.

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I think most of the 'mysteries' in this thread have fairly mundane explanations. Actually, I'd say about half have already been explained or debunked if people bothered to go looking. But the thing is, some people want to believe in mysteries and no amount of rational exposition will convince them.

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery"

and the rest of us love working out a good puzzle. Like a good book, it can be a bit disappointing when you get to the end. But the world is full of books and mysteries and that will never end.

Yeah, the Bloop is kinda scary. Some say it was an icequake, others say it was an underwater creature. If it wasn't an icequake, then it is an absolutely terrifying prospect that there is something so big and loud that it was picked up by microphones 3,000 miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 secretagent

who killed jimmy hoffa and where is he buried ???
    Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran, a WW2 vet who participated in the massacre of SS guards at Dachau and became a hitman for the Mafia confessed to murdering Hoffa on his deathbed in 2003. There's a book about him called "I Heard You Paint Houses" which is being made into a Scorcese movie starring Robert DeNiro which they are callling "The Irishman". "I heard you paint houses." was apparently the first thing Jimmy Hoffa ever said to Sheeran. The phrase was mob code for killing people (blood spatter).

Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran, a WW2 vet who participated in the massacre of SS guards at Dachau and became a hitman for the Mafia confessed to murdering Hoffa on his deathbed in 2003. There's a book about him called "I Heard You Paint Houses" which is being made into a Scorcese movie starring Robert DeNiro which they are callling "The Irishman". "I heard you paint houses." was apparently the first thing Jimmy Hoffa ever said to Sheeran. The phrase was mob code for killing people (blood spatter).

thanks for that :-) have to see that movie and read the book now,
    Still like to know there he is buried, is that is the book ?

thanks for that :-) have to see that movie and read the book now,
    Still like to know there he is buried, is that is the book ?

Apparently he was taken away after being killed and cremated. So no burial place which makes sense. No evidence left behind.

Richard Kuklinski, also known as the Iceman, also claims responsibility for the murder of Jimmy Hoffa in his book The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer.

just wonder if this is just a few people that want some kind of "glory" before they died, or if they infact did kill him. i can see the pojt if he got cremated, in regards to no evidence... still there much have been a good few people that was in one a killing of this size

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

just wonder if this is just a few people that want some kind of "glory" before they died, or if they infact did kill him. i can see the pojt if he got cremated, in regards to no evidence... still there much have been a good few people that was in one a killing of this size

Can i add the emboldened bit to an unsolved mystery. Cos i have no idea what you're saying.

Hoffa trusted Sheerin implicitly. So he was chosen to draw Hoffa to his death. Just started reading the book, its a good read and fairly convincing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Can i add the emboldened bit to an unsolved mystery. Cos i have no idea what you're saying.

Lol, here's a translation:

still there must have been a good few people in on a killing of this size

Michael can correct me if I'm wrong :D

lol I can see it make no meaning that I typed there.
    What I was trying to say is, it can’t have been a one man job to kill Hoffa, there much have been a group of people involved in this. Planning and then someone to carry out the killing.
    Now I do think that is was the mob, that got to him, and I also think that the one that did kill Hoffa, was killed by his own people, so there was no one to say this is there he was killed.

you are so right miamee. LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

There are an estimated 35 serial killers in America at any one time. In the UK its estimated there's 2.

Surely our lax passport/travel control has seen a few UK ones get the plane or ferry over to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Marilyn Monroe...

Was it the Kennedy's or Sinatra? Who did it??? Too many unanswered questions surrounding her death.

What unanswered questions would these be? She was addicted to pills, her body just gave up. Simple as. It's not that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Richard Kuklinski, also known as the Iceman, also claims responsibility for the murder of Jimmy Hoffa in his book The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer.

Is Hoffa in one of the support beams of the Giants stadium?
    Mafia building contractors n concrete and all that .

What unanswered questions would these be? She was addicted to pills, her body just gave up. Simple as. It's not that unusual.

You dont think it beyond beyond the realm of possibility that someone had her off'd to protect JFK? An overdose is surely up there with easiest deaths to use as a cover up for murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Ah yeah, I'm a skeptic myself, still love a good ghost story without a skeptic head telling me "there's a scientific explanation for that, you fcuking simpleton".

Guess what, the vast majority of us know a supernatural explanation is extremely unlikely, skeptics explaining stuff we know are extremely unlikely make skeptics looks dumb!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Great documentary. Respected scientists talk time travel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

The theft of the Irish Crown Jewels is an interesting mystery, and one which fascinated me so much I include it in my latest book.
    The theft appears to have been remarkably easy, because security was lax to the point of being non existent.

The Jewels were last seen on the 11 June 1907, and only missed on the 03 July when a house-keeper found a security cabinet open.

There's some who thought the theft an inside job (and there was evidence for this) while more assumed it was a joke, or a prank that went belly up when the yellow stuff hit the fan, and the jewels dumped because they were too hot to handle)

There's some evidence of this too.

My theory?

I believe the latter was the case, and the jewels were hastily hidden and await discovery.

I love a good old fashioned mystery but this case was an impossibility at the start.
    The investigators had none of the modern day facilities available to them, and the scene of the crime was rendered useless by the time they arrived. The actual time/date of the robbery was never established, and the investigation took many directions - robbery, hoax, or if the jewels were simply 'borrowed.'
    Many false leads had to be tracked down, and just like any investigation some people gave false information, for whatever reason.
    One such 'lead' has not yet been debunked and remains the only mystery about this case.
    This was an encripted note found in the pocket of a corpse, an accident victim, purporting to have been written by the actual thief giving the exact location of the jewels. A few scribbled lines stated that the jewels "were taken in jest." The writer begged forgiveness and wanted "St. Patrick's Stars" returned their rightful owners.
    This puzzle was never deciphered by the R.I.C. / D.M.P. or Scotland Yard. :):D:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I finally got to visit him (hes in the second clip)

DSC01892.JPG

Plus it was featured on Arthur C Clarkes Mysterious World. A Programme I used to watch every week when I was a young child on Rte.

Advertisement