Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Dyatlov Pass incident.

Coincidentally, look what I came across this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Excellent thread. I've spent most of the day going through it.

Some modern mysteries I find interesting:
    • The disappearance of the McStay Family from San Diego. A family of four suddenly run from their house, leaving half-eaten food out and their dogs without food, to flee across the (nearby) Mexican border. Despite them owning a car, cameras show them (or a group thought to be them) walking over the border on foot. This was a middle-class family with no connection to gangs or crime. They gave no indication to family or friends that they were in trouble. What were they running from? Where are they now?
    • The "disappearance" of Shelly Miscavige (wife of the leader of Scientology). Until just last month, when actress Leah Remini broke scientology ranks and made an official missing person's report, it was thought by some that Shelly was dead. She hadn't been seen in public since 2007. It has become clear that she is alive and that she is willingly/being held at a compound in California. The whole thing gives me the creeps, it's hard to know of she's there of her own free will or not.
    • The death of Flo Barnett (Shelly Miscavige's mother). Shot 3 times in the chest and once in the head with a rifle. Yet, a "suicide". It seems obvious given the weapon used that she physically could not have killed herself in this way so who killed her and why?
    • The disappearance of Amy Lynn Bradley from a cruise ship off South America. It's thought she was kidnapped and forced into sexual slavery (a pretty disturbing photo which surfaced years later seems to give this legs) but what happened to her is still a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Average-Ro wrote: »

Watched it a few weeks ago. Not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html

Apologies if this has been posted already, only on page 11 of the thread so far.

Number 6 - Dyatlov Pass
    Number 3 - The Mad Gasser
    Number 1 - Bermuda Triangle

Great thread btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Colmustard wrote: »
    OK I will say it

How come women can put a duvet cover on in such a simple movement

While us men usually get tied up and inside the damn thing.

Jus,,t just,, why can't us men put a duvet cover on.

If anyone know the answer, lay off the quantum physics, and tell me in plain english.

Stop acting dumb!

You start with the duvet cover inside out, put your hands in it to the two distant corners, once this is done, grab two corners on the duvet and shake the duvet cover, it will turn itself around the right way and voila...

Now stop using that lame excuse to get out of doing it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Stop acting dumb!

You start with the duvet cover inside out, put your hands in it to the two distant corners, once this is done, grab two corners on the duvet and shake the duvet cover, it will turn itself around the right way and voila...

Now stop using that lame excuse to get out of doing it. :D

shhhh, Sunflower!
    Whatever you do, don't tell them how to do the towel-turban over wet hair in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Runestone Would love if this turned out to be authentic .

Especially with other "out of place" artifacts http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/society/text/other_artifacts.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dyatlov pass incident is nuts...

I mean there isn't a real logical explanation as to what happened.

Read up and watch videos on this. Really is one of the biggest mysteries of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

dyatlov pass incident is nuts...

I mean there isn't a real logical explanation as to what happened.

Read up and watch videos on this. Really is one of the biggest mysteries of all time.

this link a few posts back has a plausible explanation:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_16671_6-famous-unsolved-mysteries-with-really-obvious-solutions.html

(sorry, I can't resist doing the scooby-doo on mysteries, though it's ultimately deflating, like bubble-wrap...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Who actually was the person who eventually took the horse to France.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Just finished watching it and, apart from a split second view of the top half of Gemma Atkinson's wonderful E cups, it was overall sh!te.
    They threw in every theory known to this incident and mashed them altogether in a gooey, silly paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

The Big Bang :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

The polaroid of Tara Calico is another interesting if disturbing story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

There are a lot of unsolved issues in the world and what we hear and what goes on tends to be different. Love them or hate them, but Israel and the West can get away with anything they like whereas other countries (even if they say something rather than do something) tend to be reprimanded if they step out of line. Contrast Israel's invasion of Lebanon and the wars in the former Yugoslavia. The then leaders Olmert and Milosevic were very very similar (evil is the word) but a blind eye was turned to one whereas the other was bombed!

9/11 remains the biggest unsolved mystery. Firstly, that an organised crime syndicate could get away with planning this without the US knowing something I do not buy. The chaos that followed this including the Afghan and Iraq wars and the subsequent financial crises are a legacy of this and it seems it was all futile. The Middle East has been plagued by war and when one country seems to be calming, another civil war erupts elsewhere. Terrorism and the threat of it has not gone away and the biggest mystery about al Qaeda is who is really behind it? Or why a direct war on that evil organisation has never truly been launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

What exactly is it that Meat Loaf WONT do for love.?
    Personally i would do anything.

Euthanasia.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lol, look at the paper clippings in the video. All Lorem Ipsum.
    About 10 secs in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

The theft of the Irish Crown Jewels is an interesting mystery, and one which fascinated me so much I include it in my latest book.
    The theft appears to have been remarkably easy, because security was lax to the point of being non existent.

The Jewels were last seen on the 11 June 1907, and only missed on the 03 July when a house-keeper found a security cabinet open.

There's some who thought the theft an inside job (and there was evidence for this) while more assumed it was a joke, or a prank that went belly up when the yellow stuff hit the fan, and the jewels dumped because they were too hot to handle)

There's some evidence of this too.

My theory?

I believe the latter was the case, and the jewels were hastily hidden and await discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

That D. B. Cooper page on Wikipedia is a fascinating read. Really enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Not 'favourite', but the ones I'd like to see solved the soonest (it probably isn't to be, though): Maddie McCann and JonBenet Ramsey (RIP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 JohnC83

The Money Pit......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island
    Who knows what treasures lurk beneath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Philip Cairns is another one - only happened a 10-15 minute walk down the road from me as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Cairns

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I remember Philip Cairns well he was the same age as me.Often wondered what happened to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

9/11 remains the biggest unsolved mystery.

Planes were hijacked and flown into buildings. Dramatic and extraordinary? yes. A mystery? no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

There are a lot of unsolved issues in the world and what we hear and what goes on tends to be different. Love them or hate them, but Israel and the West can get away with anything they like whereas other countries (even if they say something rather than do something) tend to be reprimanded if they step out of line. Contrast Israel's invasion of Lebanon and the wars in the former Yugoslavia. The then leaders Olmert and Milosevic were very very similar (evil is the word) but a blind eye was turned to one whereas the other was bombed!

9/11 remains the biggest unsolved mystery. Firstly, that an organised crime syndicate could get away with planning this without the US knowing something I do not buy. The chaos that followed this including the Afghan and Iraq wars and the subsequent financial crises are a legacy of this and it seems it was all futile. The Middle East has been plagued by war and when one country seems to be calming, another civil war erupts elsewhere. Terrorism and the threat of it has not gone away and the biggest mystery about al Qaeda is who is really behind it? Or why a direct war on that evil organisation has never truly been launched.

The biggest ifs and buts to the 9/11 conspiracy theories are the scale of the attacks.

The US would have justified two wars with strong public backing by committing deadly but less financially and casualty causing attacks. A wave of car bomb attacks in various cities for example, would have been a somewhat lesser carnage but still horrifying enough to get the public behind a war.

But thousands dead, the airline industry nearly collapsing, insurance companies going to the brink, the two financial powerhouses of the country hit with many of the greatest economic and military minds among the dead at the WTC and Pentagon, it really would be too much of a shoot yourself in the foot attack to entertain a false flag theory. Particularly against Afghanistan, a rugged land the USA already would have had justification in attacking but chose not to do so because of its historical ability to beat foreign invaders. There was certainly negligence that allowed the attacks to occur, but direct involvement is a stretch too far.

The biggest ifs and buts to the 9/11 conspiracy theories are the scale of the attacks.

The US would have justified two wars with strong public backing by committing deadly but less financially and casualty causing attacks. A wave of car bomb attacks in various cities for example, would have been a somewhat lesser carnage but still horrifying enough to get the public behind a war.

But thousands dead, the airline industry nearly collapsing, insurance companies going to the brink, the two financial powerhouses of the country hit with many of the greatest economic and military minds among the dead at the WTC and Pentagon, it really would be too much of a shoot yourself in the foot attack to entertain a false flag theory. Particularly against Afghanistan, a rugged land the USA already would have had justification in attacking but chose not to do so because of its historical ability to beat foreign invaders. There was certainly negligence that allowed the attacks to occur, but direct involvement is a stretch too far.
    I would be inclined to agree... if that administration didn't prove itself to be utterly, and increasingly, insane throughout it's tenure - as well as utterly reckless. They set the blueprint for the sheer madness that the Republican Parry is today.

That said, I don't follow the 'mass conspiracy' bit myself either, as there are some tinfoil hat wearers who have brought it to the nth degree and just made any valid argument toxic by association. But I figure there had to be something murky there at some level, somewhere... just not sure what. Kind of a situation that even if they all got proven 100% guilty of complete conspiracy tomorrow, I wouldn't be all too shocked, but at the same time there's not enough information out there for anyone to claim to know the entire truth about alleged conspiracies and whatnot.

Kind of like before Snowden, most were suspicious of what the NSA were up to (or at least chunks of it), but there wasn't enough to know it for fact. When that story broke, all that really surprised me was that it surprised so many other people. But I'm a bit of a sceptic on both sides. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Billy86 wrote: »

Kind of like before Snowden, most were suspicious of what the NSA were up to (or at least chunks of it), but there wasn't enough to know it for fact. When that story broke, all that really surprised me was that it surprised so many other people. But I'm a bit of a sceptic on both sides. :p

I remembering hearing of this programme before 9/11 and the Homeland Security days, it is essentially the same thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Why Captain Edward Obvious is a hero for telling us something that was common knowledge at least 13 years ago I'm not too sure of. The US government has been monitoring international conversations for many, many years. The world seems to think it is something that their now fallen hero Obama started.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

who killed jimmy hoffa and where is he buried ???

• Advertisement

I remembering hearing of this programme before 9/11 and the Homeland Security days, it is essentially the same thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

Why Captain Edward Obvious is a hero for telling us something that was common knowledge at least 13 years ago I'm not too sure of. The US government has been monitoring international conversations for many, many years. The world seems to think it is something that their now fallen hero Obama started.
    You'd have to ask the global public who are so outraged (read: naive) or the US gov't who are so eager to get him, to be honest.

Advertisement